[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/meg/ Military Enlistment General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22
File: usmilitaryseals.gif (56 KB, 470x346) Image search: [Google]
usmilitaryseals.gif
56 KB, 470x346
Didn't see one up with search so posting one edition.

Did Navydepper ship yet or did he back out edition

I don't have any of the copy+pasta edition
>>
Who /navy/ here?
>>
>>27941611
OP here, considering going USCG in March. I spoke to the recruiter in June, had to put off any decisions until August, enrolled in EMT school in August, and will graduate in February. Would probably go for Intelligence.

Goal would be:
Enlist
4 months at first duty station
Wait 18 months for a spot in IS A school
A school
C schools as often as possible
Go to NIU for Masters in Strategic Intelligence
Either go to OCS or go work for CIA/FBI/NSA/DIA
>>
>>27941666
Currently trapped at nuke school forever, so navy, but not realnavy.
>>
>>27941698

>military
>coast guard

Pick one
>>
>>27941890
Someone's bitter.
>>
>>27941666

Reservist
>>
>>27941666
In CTR school right now. Like >>27941879 said, not really navy yet
>>
>>27941698

You're planning a bit far ahead, take it one day at a time.
>>
>>27941879
I'm a prospective nuke, can you tell me anything about the school? Is it really that bad?
>>
>>27941611
I'm asthmatic, what can I do? I've been denied infantry even after obtaining a waiver. What do?
>>
>>27941698
Your length of your first duty station can be up to 6 months or longer. And I'm assuming you pulled out 18 months from current A school wait times? Those times also fluctutate. You're likely looking at 2 years in before you get a chance at IS A school.
>>
>>27942041
Yeah I figured. Between boot, first duty station, wait time, and any variables.. Oh well. I mean, intel is a really rewarding field with a lot I can go for.
>>
>>27941957

Something else?
>>
>>27942056
Go Army 35 series or Navy's intel and don't waste your time.
>>
>>27941957
muerete
>>
>>27942091
Considering those options as well. Would be more interested if the 35 series I'm interested in (M) wasn't borderline defunct once the war in A-stan ends, and I'm going to be entirely honest with you, the Navy's enlisted uniform just makes me cringe. They're so god damned ugly. I know that's a really petty reason to not join them, I really do, but fucking hell man.
>>
>>27942075
Like what though?
>>
>>27941666
I navy
>>
>>27942126
Do you really want us to link you the MOS list?
>>
>>27941950
If you have any college experience with physics or math, any engineering experience, or are really good at putting things together, it's not that hard. Like, it's definitely hard. You will have to be in school ~60 hours a week, basically nonstop for 6 months, but there are people way dumber than you who have been pushed through. Somebody always drops, but if you really earn that paycheck and do your job, it won't be you. Does that answer your question?
>>
Any advice for someone who wants to join the army? my main goal would be to see combat, does infantry see any actual combat anymore these days?
>>
>>27942195
>my main goal would be to see combat, does infantry see any actual combat anymore these days?

that's a very tall order, unfortunately, even at the height of the wars, only about 30% of deployed infantry units saw combat. Now, that number goes down significantly.

Special Forces are probably the only bunch out there that's a good bet to see combat.

I was in Iraq for four tours between 2002 and 2010 in a Marine assault company. No one in my unit ever saw combat.
>>
>>27942124
I feel you though. Navy officers have fucking ballin uniforms but the enlisted uniforms, while certainly eye catching and unique, just look like goofy costumes.

>>27942126
Pretty much literally anything else. It's not up to us to pick your MOS for you. Really almost every single MOS except infantry or pilot should be available to you.

>>27942195
That's a rather poor reason to join and you are almost certainly guaranteed to never see combat. If you really want to, your best bet would be probably to try becoming a Navy SEAL or Air Force combat controller. I say these because they are entry-level, unlike Army and Marines SOF.

However, if your motivation is "to see combat," you're almost guaranteed not to pass SOF training.
>>
>>27942288
>only about 30% of deployed infantry units saw combat
i figured it was something like that, i don't know why but i wouldn't be able to live with my self if i never served in actual combat.

do you know any info in joining sf?, im not afraid of the challenge i would just need some time to get in better shape.

>>27942310
oh im aware, its definitely not the main reason im considering joining
>>
>>27942310
Why have I been seeing so many posts about combat controllers?
>>
>>27942310
>>27942288

>my main goal would be to see combat
i meant to say that it would be a high priority
>>
>>27942192
It helps. I just keep getting such polarized responses. I've been researching for a week or so, and I pretty much only get answers like yours, or rants about how shitty it is, how much shit you get, that you get 4 hours of sleep a day for 6 years, and that I will literally commit suicide before I get out. It makes it really hard for me to gauge how bad it actually is.

I have moderate experience with calculus (can do derivatives, can do definite integrals with a calculator, can do basic indefinite integrals), and when I enlist I expect to have a degree in chemistry, with 2 semesters of calculus-based physics. Do you think that sounds like a solid base?
>>
>>27942379
They're fucking awesome, for starters. I can't think of any specific reason, though.
>>
>>27942379
In /k/ or in /meg/? I haven't really seen any in /meg/ for at least the last couple threads. I would guess because CCT is a pretty badass job, even as SOF goes. Part of your training is fucking off-road motorcycling.
>>
>>27942420
>>27942421
I don't know but I never heard of them since I read about them one time on /k/. How difficult would their training compare to other SOF?
>>
>>27942442
Imagine being a Ranger and also being an air traffic controller. There you go.
>>
>>27942386
Well, if it's simply a priority, then infantry is the way to go, but if combat's your sole reason for enlisting, you're going to have a very rough six years.

Your recruiter will/should sit down with you and lay out a number of jobs and, more importantly, career paths, for you to consider based on your interests and your aptitude. He or she will also enlighten you on jobs in the Army you probably never even realized were a thing.
>>
>>27942394
The physics will actually help a little, but the calc and chem that you'll do is designed for retards to understand the concept of an integral and a solution, respectively. Like, they may honestly be too much info to help, unless you're going officer. That said, there's a guy in my section with a degree in chemistry and he's top of the section. If you can get a degree in chemistry, you can get through power school with no trouble.
>>
>>27942442
Pretty hard. Air Force SOF is probably the most difficult, compounded by also needing the least manpower.

>>27942452
This is pretty much correct
>>
>>27942593
Yeah, as I understand you don't really need much advanced math. Amusingly, someone just told me the other day that a guy with a chem degree failed out of power school. The answers I get just conflict so much. Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. What's your rate?
>>
>>27942570
ok thanks for the reply
>>
>>27942624
MM, trying to go ELT. It's the only way to do anything like actual chemistry, if that floats your boat.
>>
>>27942372
>i don't know why but i wouldn't be able to live with my self if i never served in actual combat.

This is not an uncommon sentiment before getting into the Army. Before you join, you think only of yourself, because you've never been part of a team, but after you join, you realize you're only a cog in a vast machine and the guys in combat are only put there based on the efforts of thousands of people working thousands of hours; and the guys in combat only survive and win because the efforts of those thousands of others were performed with professionalism and precision.

There is no "tip of the spear". There is only the spear.

>do you know any info in joining sf?

If you want to get into SOCOM, you tell your recruiter and they will put you on the right path. I believe you can still go to Ranger school directly without any experience, but they may have changed that. Brutally hard, though. The most important thing to remember is their unofficial motto: "Selection never stops". Once you're in, now you have to get better. Constantly.
>>
>>27942672
I actually want to do ELT for that reason. Maybe I'll see you in a few years

>captcha: all images with boats
>>
>>27941666
Lurkin
>>
>>27942724
How can you work 1000 hours if there are only 24 hours in a day?
>>
>>27942854
a thousand people each working one hour in one day have collectively worked a thousand hours.

don't be dense.
>>
>>27942724
thanks for the info and for your service.
>>
>>27942724
I think now would be a good time to enlist for an op 40 contract. I hear people wait at least a year before enlisting solely because they want that contract. My recruiter told me the army is trying to build up their special ops so there's more contracts available. I was able to get an op 40 reserved for me without waiting at all. As this anon says, just tell your recruiter what you want and they'll try to get you there. If airborne rangers aren't your thing, you can try 18x
>>
>>27942854
/mindblown
>>
>>27941666
Future sailor here, corpsman. Want to go FMF, and might get training but will never be deployed bc of downsizing.
>>
File: 1443420027102.jpg (514 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
1443420027102.jpg
514 KB, 2048x1365
>>27942310
>entry level
>SEALs
>CCT

Lel

Rangers are considered the fastest from basic-to-line SOF.
>>
Anyone that worked in logistics or supply or some other desk job on here? Been thinking of logistics, but I want some real opinions on what the job was like first. Logistics in particular seems really fun, but in the back of my mind, I'm worried that it's just like a regular 9-5 job, except with working more hours for less pay and no way out if you hate it.

In particular, I'm worried about desk jobs being understaffed in the military (air force probably, but I'm not married to it yet) so I'd need to do the work of four or five people, and then become to indispensable to transfer or promote. Just in the early stages of wondering here, so I apologize for not already having dozens of hours of research done.
>>
>>27943255
They are considered entry-level because you don't have to join as something else first. You can enlist as a SEAL rather than having to enlist as 11b or whatever and then become a ranger. Speed has nothing to do with it.
>>
>>27943302
Oh like going from Basic straight to BUD/S, gotcha.

Didn't they have like a SEAL prep course before BUD/S though?
>>
>>27943301
There was a guy last thread that talked about it a lot. He was a logistics officer and was talking about what he did.

Seemed pretty comfy, it's an absolutely essential job though.

Let me find the archive

Here it is: >>27926773

It's in there somewhere mid-end of the thread

There's a pic of Private Pyle with it.
>>
>>27943325
mud pups
>>
File: 1447866095332.jpg (28 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1447866095332.jpg
28 KB, 640x480
Got accepted to the USCG academy.

Wat do?
>>
Hi /meg/, I've been looking into enlisting for some time now, I'm not really set on a branch. I recently called the marine recruiter, but he told me I couldn't be a marine because I went to psychological counseling for OCD for nearly a year back in high school. I never was prescribed nor did I ever take medication. He said I could maybe join a different branch, but I feel like I would get turned down as well.

I've already taken the asvab and did very well on it and I have no other medical conditions. My question is if anyone has been in a similar situation as me and if I even have a chance of getting a waiver. I want to join the military and at this point in my life I'm not really sure what else to do. I've been in college but I don't think it's right for me at this time. If I can't get into the military now, then I'll start looking into getting a job.

If troops start getting deployed to Syria could i be able to enlist then? Please help.
>>
File: 1414695607597.jpg (83 KB, 950x745) Image search: [Google]
1414695607597.jpg
83 KB, 950x745
>>27943354
Congratulate yourself.

Seriously, that's good shit. My dream was to always be a Rescue Swimmer and go to the USCG academy, but my grades are shit and my vision sucks.
>>
>>27943365
Lie about your past, they legitimately wont know about it unless you tell them.
>>
I want to be in intelligence. I assume the bar is high but how high?
>>
>>27943346
Oh, shit, thanks, never thought to check the previous thread. Sounds exactly what I'm looking for. I love everything about the military but I absolutely do not want to do any fighting. After reading all that, my only real concern is that a four year commitment makes me nervous.
>>
>>27941611
I scored a 93 on my asvab. What do I do now? Thinking air force. Also, I want to be a opera8tor but I think I might be too chicken shit, would the service help man me up?
>>
>>27943377
My dad was a BMC when he retired. I'm thinking about going ME or BM if I do end up going. Do children of coasties get preference in the academy by any chance? Or is it entirely my grades?
>>
What should a person study before taking the asvab ?
>>
File: 2003_AUF_MSRT1.jpg (84 KB, 630x422) Image search: [Google]
2003_AUF_MSRT1.jpg
84 KB, 630x422
>>27943432
It sounds like they would, but that's out of my area of knowledge.
>>
>>27943415
Np, it sounds like a great job desu.

Hopefully he'll show up and you can talk to him firsthand
>>
>>27943447
ASVAB practice tests
>>
>>27943472
This makes me feel bad I didn't even think for a second before asking such a dumb question.
>>
Stupid question, do you get or need a passport before enlisting?
>>
>>27943346
>>27943415
loggy is pretty sweet, there's a lot to learn and you see more of the bigger picture in that line of work. it'll definitely give you an edge If you're inclined to a career in business
>>
>>27941698
>NIU
Mah n-word. Didn't know offered that program. If you're looking to go intel, I suggest one of the other 4 branches as those would look better when applying with those 3-letter agencies.
>>
>>27942379
They are a dying breed. They won't be around too much longer. Not really SOF anymore...
>>
>>27943480
Nope. I'm the first in my family with a passport, but not the first abroad. Had an uncle in Nam, a grandfather in WWII and a cousin currently in the marines.
>>
>>27943383
Don't they get access to your medical records?
>>
>>27943447
Download a app on your smart phone called asvab. It's a super easy test though. I scored 93 and I almost flunked high school.
>>
>>27943487
Like I said, still in the early stages of research so forgive such stupid and open ended questions, but are there many other desk jobs comparable to it? I'm still not sure what I'd want to do which is part of why I still have cold feet. For reference I have a college degree, so I'd go in as an officer, if what research I have done is right.
>>
>>27943477
At least you ask. I got a 99 on my ASVAB and I help out some poolees and applicants at my RSS with studying and trust me at least you fucking want to study.
>>
>>27943505
yes from my judgement on how the staff carry themselves physically intel & admin
>>
Went to MEPS today and got sworn in to the Marines. It was fucking miserable and I did not anticipate having to do an IST type thing in jeans and a collared shirt, and then having to answer all the liaison's questions while my heart was still racing. Also I had no fucking clue when I was supposed to be at parade rest or anything like that and felt like a total dumbass. I told my recruiter this shit and he just said, "Welcome to the Marines," is this the normal process?
>>
>>27943325
I'm pretty sure they have something where a SEAL trainer will help you train over 6 months or so and if they think you're ready you ship off to be a SEAL. Not sure if that's what you're thinking of.

>>27943354
Damn, nice job man. Make the most of it.

>>27943365
Talk to the Army, they're the most lenient I believe. Troops being deployed to Syria is not likely and if it does occur it won't affect your chances unless they mount a full-scale invasion.

>>27943415
Literally every job in the military carries at least a 4 year commitment.

>>27943480
>implying the military asks permission to bring you in
You don't need a passport.

>>27943492
Why not? Seems like there is no hint of forward airstrikes going away soon. And they saw tons of action during the invasion of Iraq.
>>
Friendly reminder that if you aspire to be in any form of sof group and are browsing, you should get the fuck off and run.
>>
>>27943587
You were there to swear in. Why would they expect you to know when to parade rest n shit? "Welcome to the Marines" = "get ready for more confusing bullshit"
>>
>>27943587
Did your recruiter not tell you what was going to go down at MEPS? Mine outlined everything that was going to happen and told me to expect to be there all day.

And you were supposed to be at parade rest. One of the other guys pointed it out for me while I was talking to the liaison. Don't freak out so much man they aren't expecting you to know anything yet.
>>
>>27943392
Not very high at all for the airforce. Don't psyche your self out for the counter Intel poly. That's it. Shit shits easy otherwise
>>
>>27943587
Prepare for the green weenie
>>
>>27943587
>is this the normal process?

Yes. The system is designed to jar you, you scare you, to make you feel small and vulnerable. You will already begin to work with the people around you just to figure out what the fuck is going on. You are beginning to instinctively rely on teamwork to accomplish anything.

Everything they do has meaning and purpose.
>>
>>27943430
Please?
>>
>>27943640
>>27943639
>>27943629
>>27943621
More of just joking. Some of these thoughts went through my head, but really the whole process went smoothly. They didn't tell me that it would take all day though and I couldn't get a hold of my work, but that was a fuckup on my part
>>
>>27943492
Also interested to know why
>>
>>27943430
Call an air force recruiter and talk to them. That's a good score and they'll probably push to get you to MEPs quick.
>>
>>27943430
AF here. Other than opening up jobs to you the ASVAB literally means jack shit. Had a guy back in basic that pissed his bed every night and would wake up, act surprised and say someone pissed his bed. He had a 99 on his ASVAB. Do what you want man. We all get paid the same. Except for people with special pays.
>>
>>27943530
The only worry I have are the STEM sections. I have very little experience in these areas and haven't done significant mathematical work since high school. I guess what I'm looking for are primers to relearn what I know and to fill in the gaps of what I don't.
>>
>>27943593
>Literally every job in the military carries at least a 4 year commitment.
I know, that's just what makes me nervous about the military at all. I want to try it, but I'm scared that it's just not for me and don't want to waste four years of my life being miserable.
>>
>>27943672
I did meps with the army, I almost shipped off as a ranger but backed out.
>>
>>27943684
I don't think the military is for you, man.
>>
>>27943681
All I teach these kids is math since I have no idea how to teach someone how to read or about cars or electrical shit (hardly know myself).

Just buy an ASVAB book and work through it. Practice is the only way to get better. Apparently there's some app that everyone uses so try that out too.

For math, relearn factoring, solving systems of equations with two unknowns, get comfy with multiple variables and fractions. It's pretty cookie cutter what you'll be up against in the math sections so don't sweat those.
>>
>>27943675
Well my asvab tells me what jobs I can do... So what's hip nowadays? How's intel? Geospacial? What is the best job I can get with my score to lead me into a bad ads career when I get out? If I can't make 60k+ a year when I'm on my own after enlistment I won't be happy. I'm 19, and I'm feeling a lot of pressure to make a choice soon.
>>
>>27943693
Then what are you asking?
>>
>>27943684
A lot of people have that experience with the military. Most can't wait to be out since day 1 of basic.
It's not so bad. Pay isn't great but the work isn't that hard for the pay and benefits.
>>
Unifag approaching his last year in Uni. What are your guys thoughts on joining the AF after graduating? I kinda feel like shit knowing I didn't do any military service as it's been a thing for every male in my family has done in it on my dad's side
>tfw nigger of a brother got his legal issue fixed and has been getting ready for it.
>>
>>27943717
You still got time. But here's the thing. Intel isn't a bad idea but not great. Because everyone says you can make tons of money working for the nsa or Cia afterwards. But the thing is you still need a good college degree to work for them after. And you have to compete with people that have been in for over 10 years while you'll have only been in for 6 years.
>>
Hey /k/,

I wrote my CFAT last Tuesday and got "Very Impressive" results. I was told I couldn't know my score but I have qualified for an Officer. I applied for Pilot, and my interview is booked in January. However, I am applying to the ROTP stream and because of my gr.11 grades (crappy), RMC and St. Jean is closed to me with only CivUni open to me. I was told that in my interview if my gr. 12 grades are higher I can reapply to RMC/St. Jean.

My "preferred occupations":
1) Pilot
2) Intelligence
3) Signals

However, in the ROTP application, I am applying for MilScience/Strategy. I was told I was very likely to get signals (no-one puts signals down as preferred apparently) but I need engineering degree. I was told that I can still change my preferred occupations, so I will need to change signals out.

I have some questions:

1) What/When is Aircrew Selection?
a) Is this depended on if my ROTP application is successful?

2) My father is very against me being in army, but honestly I don't see anything interesting to me (or something that I can do well at) in the airforce. I am thinking infantry but I think I might be sounding like a 12 year old airsofter if I think that. Is there anything in airforce that is at least part "field/combat"?

I know this is stupid to include but I am 18 years old.
>>
>>27943684
You can always join the National Guard and switch to active duty.
>>
>>27943752
As long as you go officer. Enlisted with an actual degree while active duty is a waste.
>>
>>27943752
Job market is a total pain to navigate right now so might as well do something where they'll actually want you instead of grovelling to assholes who want you to know everything inside and out and work for no pay.
>>
>>27943766
That was my plan. If things goes right, I should have a BE in Mechanical. Know anything by chance where I should or were they will send me to do?
>>
I'm sick of dealing with the job market today, and I'm not sure what to go back to school for.

Thinking of enlisting in the Air Force. At least they'll teach me some skills for free that'll help me out later on in life.
>>
>>27943764
>Is there anything in airforce that is at least part "field/combat"?

Tactical Air Control Party (1C4X1) You act as a liaison between the Air Force and Army/Navy/Marines/Special Forces/etc. You advise the guys on the ground on the best use of the air power and guide attack runs for them.
>>
So I keep hearing people say that Air Force is the best branch if you want to go career. What makes this true/false?
>>
>>27943789
No idea I'm enlisted. I don't know much about officer stuff.

>>27943824
Well if you are meaning a career in the airforce then yeah. Once you get higher up its pretty nice. The lifestyle is also not bad. But a career after the military? Not sure, there is a reason why a bunch of people stay in so long, it's because it's hard to find work that pays as well including benefits
>>
>>27943764
Also as a side question:

Even though I applied for officer and wrote my CFAT and qualified for officer, can I go into NCM occupation? Will my CFAT marks stay with me?
>>
Does anyone know anything about AFSOC SOST(Special Operations Surgical Teams)?

Seems really interesting but I can't seem to find too much info on them
>>
>>27943717
I suppose what I'm asking is for someone to tell me what to do.
>>
File: 1415247737042.jpg (28 KB, 322x365) Image search: [Google]
1415247737042.jpg
28 KB, 322x365
>>27941666
ET-COM stationed on an SSN in the Pacific Fleet.
>>
>>27941611
Are there any countries that accept foreign nationals other than France?
>>
>>27943936
Israel is another, I believe.
>>
>>27943917
Do some research yourself man, just pick something you find interesting. It's not a lifetime commitment.
>>
>>27943764
>Interview for pilot/intelligence
>Getting a job
Pick one
On another note I'm applying for infantry and armoured, infantry sounds like getting paid to train and being a neet, if that sounds like your kind of thing then change your application for infantry as you'll have to repass an interview for any change made on your application. The reason why you probably won't get in as pilot or IntO, is because IntO hasn't opened in years and pilot is the officer position that is receiving the most applications every year. So you're competing against people with completed degrees already, don't want to crush your dreams but it's the same thing when saying you want to join infantry for CanSOFCom(me not too long ago) where you are competing against the best of the best.
>>
>>27943968
Don't you have to be Jewish though?
>>
>>27943936
Russia has a foreign legion, but it's designed for former soviet states, not US nationals.
>>
>>27943968
>>27944167
I know Israel does, but I'm not jewish. I can't speak Russian and I'm not from a former satellite state. I know Spain has something similar to Russia where citizens of former colonies can join.

I wish Ireland had something similar to Israel's program where people with Irish blood could join.

The only other one I could find that seemingly accepted any foreigner was Denmark, you just have to live there.
>>
>>27944357
..Ireland does, dude. If you are of Irish blood and are eligible to claim Irish citizenship (Grandparents born there, parents born there, able to find relative born there and prove ancestry) you can join the Irish Defense Forces. The hardest part would probably be putting on the blue helmet and doing all those fucking stupid UN missions they do.
>>
I have a question about security clearance.

Pretty sure I want to go IS in Navy, but the requirements say that my immediate family members must be citizens.

My biological father (who I've never met) is a citizen of Mexico, and has no US citizenship (although I think he had a green card once).

Does this disqualify me from clearance? I'm pretty sure it shouldn't, since I've never lived with him, but it makes me nervous.
>>
File: A picture for ants.jpg (10 KB, 490x310) Image search: [Google]
A picture for ants.jpg
10 KB, 490x310
>>27944541
Be up front about it, you might be able to get a waiver. Don't try to lie about anything when you go for a rate like IS, they do a SSBI that digs pretty deep.
>>
Anybody here was/is a Military Working Dog handler?

I'm a prior grunt of 5 years. I've been out of the military for just over 2 years now and I'm not too happy. I feel pretty worthless because Civ life doesn't have my opportunities for me. With all this shit going on in the news it pisses me off and makes me want back in. But I think if I ever do go back into the military, id only do it for MWD or Aviation. Fuck going Infantry again. If I don't go back in, I'm thinking about doing a overseas contract with Academi, AEGIS, or Triple Canopy. But that doesn't really seem like a long term thing. Advice?
>>
>>27944465
My grandparents were Irish, last name was Mahoney, but not directly from Ireland. I think I'd have to go back a few hundred years, not sure if that counts. If only I had some Jew blood
>>
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 640x640
>>27943587
Your sadness fuels my hate. That's the Marines for you kid, It'll be the best worst time of your life though.

I'm sober so I guess if you kids have any questions about the Marines ask away. I'll do my best to answer.

MOS: 3521 (motor t mech) so I'm a damn pog.
>>
>>27943792
Hi me
>>
>>27943587
Do they really do IST shit at meps in so.e places? I swore in at Albany and it was one of the most laid back experiences ever. I did medical, and sat in the waiting room with like 8 other people. Only shitty part was when some guy fell asleep and gysgt came out and started fucking with us for 15 minutes
>>
File: 1447373366818.jpg (16 KB, 187x241) Image search: [Google]
1447373366818.jpg
16 KB, 187x241
Chair National Guard here. Security Forces. Is it still possible at all for Air Guardsmen to go active duty in a different branch? So far my highest prospect is the Marines. But I kinda want to try Army.
>>
Is enlisting for 6 misguided? I want to go airborne linguist anyway and from what I can tell only a 6 year commitment has a bonus. Plus, it seems like I'd be in training/school for 2.5-3 years which would only leave a year to actually perform my job.
>>
Morning, /k/

Yesterday, I decided to step up and signed up to be a Marine. I was put in the Delayed Entry Program, and I'm doing everything I can so that I can go to basic in a few months.

I got a 78 on the ASVAB and a GT score of a 125, so I'm pretty much mentally qualified for just about every job in the Marine Corps, and I want to join MARSOC (Something among the lines of the Critical Skills Operator MOS) after I get a few years of experience as a Marine. What can I do for the Marine Corps in order to meet the requirements and make the best out of my time there? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>27943209
You're nothing. Not future shit. You don't get a title until you earn it. You don't go FMF, you go greenside and gain your FMF pin. We don't say going FMF because you earn that shit. Make sure you want it, you have a vested interest in medicine (not just the cool tactical field care) but all of it. Don't come into this thinking it's all hooking and jabbing with grunts. You'll probably be put in a hospital at this point but shits going to pop off eventually. You never know. Just don't be that faggot that shows up to a greenside command all moto and shit. Keep that shit in your mind and not spewed all over people who hate you. If you don't have an interest in medicine as a career, walk the fuck away. It's not all greenside and guns, unless you're a sarc. Which you won't be. Be smart. I don't want to teach any more retards how to swab a throat or how to administer IV fluids. Know what you're getting into, because it's not all combovers and tourniquets.
>>
>>27944541
They're going to need his Mexican citizenship information and all that shit but you should be fine.
>>27946413
If you were doing it for the bonus, yeah. Most 6y jobs give you some good certs you can use irl though.
>>27946445
Easy there Doc, recruiters make them say that gay future sailor shit nowadays so he probably doesn't know any better.
But yeah kids, don't be moto assholes.
>>
>>27946413
Both linguist jobs require a 6 year contract. If your in it for the money look no further than airborne linguist. Great money and even better re enlistment bonus. It will take a little over 2 years of training before you get to your first duty station then another year of training there before you do your actual job.
>>
>>27946434

Bump.
>>
>>27941698
>Go to NIU for Masters in Strategic Intelligence

As junior enlisted? Yeah, sure m8.
>>
>>27946873

Seen it happen, but probably not for this guy. No idea why he wants to sit around jerking off for 2~ years waiting to go to his initial job training when the other branches will get him to intel school in <6 months.
>>
>>27943824
Air Force has the best quality of life but the worst pay. Just have to decide what's most important to you.
>>
>>27946385
I think being Air Guard is disqualifying for military service.
>>
>>27946894
Air Force also has the best-looking girls.
>>
File: 1337281357569.png (71 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1337281357569.png
71 KB, 400x300
>>27946930
>Going after military women

No. Just... no.
>>
How many weebs are in the military, by branch?

I'm not really a weeb myself but I'm on their level.
>>
>>27946936
they're all damaged good and or mix with dindus.
It's gotta be a South thing, being that it's VA/NC
>>
>>27946894

>worst pay

You're not qualified to give advice anymore.
>>
>>27946953
There's over a million people in the Army alone. There are some of everything.

There were a lot of D&D campaigns running at any given time. (iPads were a god-send for carrying source books because the older guys had to re-print all their source books in tiny-print and only take certain ones with them on deployment.)

It made for some very odd rules disputes.
>I don't care if you're the DM. This is 5th ed and chromatic dragons can no longer shape-change. Is this clear, Lieutenant?
>>
>>27943432

>I'm thinking about going ME or BM

The only rating you'll be getting is ENS.

>>27941698

Why is it always the Coast Guard DEP kids that have 5 year plans that look like this?

>Enlist
>Immediately go to Rescue Swimmer School
>12 months later change rating to Intelligence
>Go to the Coast Guard Academy, but transfer to Annapolis because I always wanted to be a Marine Officer, too
>Get Commissioned
>Leave early to join the CIA
>Immediately get appointed senior analyst
>Re-join the Coast Guard
>Run for Senate
>Run for President
>>
>>27947054

http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/05/new-coast-guard-recruit-wants-to-go-mst-or-hs-or-pa-or-maybe-officer-candidate-school/
>>
>>27946953

The amount of people who show up to the recruiter (or /MEG/) with a neckbeard and a distinct interest "deploying" immediately to Japan ONLY is staggering.

If you want to visit Japan, Navy is your best bet. If you want to live there a while, probably Marines or Air Force. The Army has posts there, but not many people.
>>
>>27945605
My buddy just got out of the marines and absolutely hated it... He told me there is very little camraderie and that I should search for a branch with better funding, but overall he told me this was just his personal opinion. Thoughts? And what percentage of people are decently smart in the marines? Like what percentage could score a 30 or above on the SAT?
>>
>>27947168
Almost every Marine I know fucking hates the corps and would do it again in a heartbeat. That is just the kind of relationship it is.

It would pretty much be my last choice of branch, but it has nothing to do with funding and everything to do with the fuckery they practice when it comes to selecting jobs.

>30 or above on the SAT

30 is literally impossible to get on the SAT, anon.
>>
>>27947193
whoops, meant ACT of course.
>>
>>27946434

Can anyone help me out on this?
>>
>>27947167
I don't care about Japan, I just get along best with people who aren't complete normalfags. I mean, I can handle a professional working relationship with anyone just fine, but having some people to sit down and play vidya/Magic/DnD/anime with would be nice during off-time.
>>
>>27947236

Grab a computer or intelligence job (except HUMINT). Never had a nerdcrew out in the civilian world as stronk as the one I had when I was working in the intel shop.
>>
>>27944014
Yeah I understand Intelligence doesn't open, ever.

>Joining military to be SOF
>Giving advice

thnx
>>
>>27946445
Future sailors are DEPers. Take it easy, Doc.
>>
>>27947236
>>27947245
Yup. My base has JCAC and other Intel classes and there's shit like that here. MTG at the rec center, Smash casuals, WoW guilds, anime in the lounge, it's kind of overwhelming actually.
>>
>>27946445
Yo, I'm in DEP and going to A school to become a corpsman. I just want to know, how difficult is it to land a greenside billet after A school? Not asking how hard it is to get deployed, since there's no war, but to get field medical training after A school?
>>
>>27946434
Go recon. Apply for MARSOC or Force Recon after serving for a bit. Of course you don't have to go recon, but that is the most obvious stepping stone to getting into MARSOC.

MARSOC's mission has a slant toward Foreign Internal Defense meaning that they spend a lot of time training various groups allied with U.S interests.This means that they like people who can speak foreign languages well, but that isn't a requirement or anything just what they like.

I just swore in yesterday and am now a poolee , everyone I asked gave me this advice and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you probably have nothing unique to your situation that would change things. MARSOC only selects from marines who are already on active duty so there isn't that much to talk about when you haven't even gotten through basic.

If you decide to go recon then what you need to work on is being comfortable swimming with fins and treading water for extended periods of time. This is apparently what gets the most people, but you don't need to be an Olympic swimmer you just need to be able to swim for awhile. Consider finding a group that does open water swims and training with them. The athletes who have the easiest time getting through training are 1) Water Polo Players 2) Triathletes 3) Swimmers. Being good in the water will get you further than just being good at calisthenics and running.

Another thing about recon is to remember that if you get injured, sick, rendered incapable of training for a period, or just don't pass some of the standards you can EASILY get recycled into the next class. The only way to really fail is to either request to drop, or be such a complete fuck up that the instructors decide to drop you.

One last thing is just to take things slow. Sit down and write down short-term, mid-term, and long-term goals. This will help you focus on what needs to be done immediately, and also stop you from worrying about long term shit that you can't do anything about
>>
>>27948427

Thank you, anon, I'll keep that in mind.
>>
Is now a good time to enlist, or is the military downsizing?
>>
>>27946894
Every branch has literally identical pay you stupid fool
>>
>>27949086

Not true at all when you take into account the difference in bonuses, advancement rates, and special pays.

Two completely identical jobs at the same rank can get paid differently in each branch because each branch has its own incentive pay programs and bonuses.
>>
>>27949086

Except when you consider that AF generally promotes slow as fuck. Even if the pay grades are the same, if you're two grades higher because you chose one branch over another...that is a pretty big difference.
>>
File: 970597.jpg (21 KB, 433x462) Image search: [Google]
970597.jpg
21 KB, 433x462
>>27947043
That sure tickles my humorous. I would love to play dnd on deployment, that sounds hilarious
>>
>>27949100
>mfw my Air Force recruiter had been in for at least 10 years and was only E5
>>
Any of my Fellow Belleau Woods men lurking?

How about future devildouchebags? I'm willing to answer any questions.

USMC Artilleryman reporting in. My job is to the field a lot, abuse my liver, and do Howitzer stuff.
>>
>>27949051
They still want people, but competitive fields are more competitive and they're less forgiving on things that normally dq.
>>
>>27949125
Future devildouche here. Any recommendations for MOSes that sound like shit but turn out to be cool? I can't get TS clearance due to citizenship so could use some help picking my third choice.
>>
>>27949125

Went to P.I. in Feb, got sent home in March when Corpsman diagnosed me w hip dysplasia

Moved to NM few weeks ago, walking through walk art the other night, saw one of the guys from my platoon there. Couldn't believe it, he had just grad his MOS school and was on the way to 29 palms
>>
>>27949143

What was your first pick, something along the lines of Intel I'm guessing?

It depends what you're into, I guess. I know air crew guys who really like their job. You could try doing something with armor if you're not claustrophobic.

I'd steer clear of Infantry and Artillery unless you're about that life. My buddies are all 03s, 08s, and other MOSes like comm and motor T supporting them. With nothing combat related going on right now, it's just a lot of repetitive field ops and garrison fuckery.

>>27949147

That's too bad man. 29 Palms is a shitty place to be, though. Break it down to me in dumbdumb what that hip problem is?
>>
>>27949230
Not the guy with hip dysplasia, but it's when the socket of your hip's ball and socket joint isn't formed right and it doesn't hold the femur correctly.
>>
>>27949230
I got a pretty good ASVAB score so a lot of people recommended me Intel. Now that it's off the table I'm looking at Combat Engineer or NBC.

I like the idea of being a crewman but I'm 6'4 so I doubt it'd be very fun. I hate planes so aviation's out for me. I'm not against infantry at all, I just feel I could do a better job in other areas.

Might just end up putting down supply or logistics for the last one.
>>
File: upotte.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
upotte.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Question: if I torrent anime while I have an MOS with a TS clearance, will I lose my job/get in trouble?
>>
>>27950694

just be safe and stream it
>>
>>27950752
But muh 1080p downloads
>>
>>27950694
Anyone have any solid answers? I'm already at AIT and I don't want to get kicked out and reclassed. I could always ask the security guys.
>>
Is 68W a good job? Wouldn't matter I'm in the DEP anyway
Everyone at my recruiting office says yeah but I was told to never trust recruiters
>>
I'm considering a military career, but before I get serious, I have a lot of medical problems that might disqualify me, such as mild scoliosis. Would the recruiter be able to tell me if anything is serious enough to disqualify me, or would I not be sure until I get a physical or other formal exam? How early is that in the process, if so? I'd likely try for a non-combat role, if that matters.
>>
>>27950916
I'm a 68w DEP too m8

What do you wanna know? Maybe I could direct you to some stuff I read
>>
>>27950921
There was a kid in my MEPS group with mild scoliosis, he qualified no problem. You should be fine if it really is mild, especially since you don't want to go infantry.
>>
>>27950921
Anything you've been diagnosed with, the recruiter can tell you if it will disqualify you. And yes, going for a non-combat role will likely make a difference.
>>
>>27950921
Don't say shit
Even if it's really really mild play it off until the very end even if some doctor taps your back at MEPS before you stand up and asks about it

If you don't know what the hell I'm talking about you'll find out if you don't say shit
>>
>>27950951
Just to add on: the doctors at MEPS were the ones to catch it. It was during the physical part where you duck walk and do a bunch of other nonsense.
>>
>>27950951
>>27950954
It's a lot of other small things, too. Colorblind, scoliosis, allergic to dust, high blood pressure, and a few other things I'm forgetting. Does flat feet still disqualify you, or did that stop after Nam?

Either way, how soon into the proces is the full medical investigation/physical/whatever done so I know for sure if anything is disqualifying? I'm not certain if it's all on my record.
>>
>>27950936
I'm concerned about lucrative careers in the civilian world post military
While I want to stay in the Army as long as possible I saw EMT's only have an average salary of like 32,000 and that ain't shit
>>
>>27941611

I've been authorized by the frustrated members of every veteran organization - here's the secret to enlisting:

Give them the answers they want to hear and lie about your bullshit.

If you're too fucking stupid to figure that out, please do not join my armed forces.
>>
>>27941666
DCman here
>>
>>27950987
They won't figure out your allergies if you don't tell them. They'll test the rest. Pretty much your day at MEPS is an all day physical before you swear in. Vision, hearing, have you do a bunch of retarded exercises, piss, doctor checks your breathing, etc. Anything your doctor will find, they will find.

I'm not sure if any of those would disqualify you by themselves, but put together it doesn't look good. Might want to talk to a recruiter about it. If you're in good shape and smart they can probably wedge you in.

>>27951017
As my recruiter told me: at MEPS Yes = "Your Enlistment Stops", No = "New Opportunities"
>>
>>27950996
>While I want to stay in the Army as long as possible I saw EMT's only have an average salary of like 32,000 and that ain't shit
Different anon here, and I can't help you with the military job part, but I can tell you that you won't want to be an EMT for more than a few years. Shit pay, shit hours, more dangerous than police officer,incredibly stressful, PTSD rates at least on par with soldiers, and I could go on. What you'll want to do is branch into something like firefighting or full medicine while being an EMT to train or study or gain experience in those fields. For reference, my friend became a firefighter in MA and he makes something like 35 an hour with time and a half on sundays.
>>
File: 1424318312120.jpg (150 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
1424318312120.jpg
150 KB, 1024x682
>>27950996
True.

Well for me, I have an Opt. 40. Assuming I make it past RASP, and through SOCM, I'll have skills similar to a civilian PA.

I was talking to a former Ranger who advised me to use my GI Bill to go to PA school after the Army and make bank.

It's all about higher education dude. While you have the opportunity now, why not shoot for something higher? 18x? Opt 40? I hear even 160th SOAR and CA medics go through SOCM. But Faulkner could probably verify that.
>>
>tfw doing my online app right now

Does the CF have a GPA floor for officer direct entry?
Do they account for additional diplomas on top of your base undergrad?
Will they bust you down to general enlistment if you can't academically hash it for officer school?
>>
File: pullthetrigger.jpg (67 KB, 500x495) Image search: [Google]
pullthetrigger.jpg
67 KB, 500x495
>tfw ship tomorrow for army
>still gotta pack up shit
>no motivation to do so even though its a new journey
>no one to say good bye to
hold me brehs
>>
>>27949125
Camp Pendleton PFC reporting in. What are my chances serving 4 years Corporal and moving onto civvie field. I've heard there are jobs where they specifically look for a trustable Marine.
>>
>>27951043
>>27951052
Thanks I'm happy to see light at the end of the tunnel
>>
>>27950987
Flat feet could be a problem, even non-combat roles are expected to keep up with pt. We really can't tell you anything, it's too subjective, and there are waivers for everything. You have no way of knowing before you talk to a recruiter.
>>
>>27951110
I'm happy your shipping to best branch anon enjoy the all you can eat pizza buffet I'll have to wait until next summer for
>>
>>27950694
Answer Yes or No to the following questions
Have you ever been described as a pleb, turbopleb, plebian, casual, pedo, edgelord, sperglord, moefag, plotfag, animefag, mangafag, bookfag, showfag, or newfag?
Have you ever been told to go back to /tumblr/, reddit, or any other site who's purpose is to undermine the integrity of wholesome discussion of posters on a Native American Oral Tradition Board?
Have you ever had more than one waifu at a time?
Were you, or are you currently at risk of losing your laifu?
Have you ever called another person's waifu a shit?
Do you watch dubbed anime?
Is Naruto a good entry point to the medium of anime?
Is Berserk! the greatest manga of all time? (If no explain)
Have you ever hoarded media depicting an underage character? (excluding daugherus)
Have you ever recommended Boku no Pico to someone?
Do you believe Cowboy Bebop is one of or the greatest anime of all time?
Have you not yet seen all of LoTGH?
Did you think Yang Weng-li's death was befitting?
Was EoE 2deep4u?
Have you ever posted a picture with a mangafox watermark in it?
While watching Planetes did you sympathize with the plight of those in the third world, and did you cry when the man trying to sell his EVA suit was detained?

If you answered yes to any of these questions make sure to include an explanation.

Sign your powerlevel at the bottom of each page before continuing
>>
>>27950996
EMT is a horrible career. They make less than that where I live. Very important job, though, I'm not sure why they make so little. If you want lucrative civilian opportunities you need to go into a technical job. Being in a combat role is pretty much mutually exclusive with having good opportunities when you get out.

>>27951043
Really? I thought firefighters had pretty low pay. Where do you live? I'm pretty sure they make like $25k or something around here.
>>
>>27951166
> I'm not sure why they make so little.

Because as far as I'm aware, in almost every city there is an abundance of them. If you want to make good money in the health field, become a nurse, 2 year program, 40k-50k starting and it only goes up. Hell, some places starting is mid 60k. Probably much less stressful as well.
>>
redpill me on navy nuke
>>
>>27950996
>>27951052
Military has a program that lets you earn a free masters and become a PA in your branch, including a commission (you have to complete a bachelors of course)

sounds like a good deal if you want career both in and out of the military

http://www.usarec.army.mil/armypa/
>>
>>27951213
fuck off
>>
>>27951166
Massachusetts. I guess, in retrospect, I shouldn't be using that as a comparison since all our civil servants are apparently incredibly overpaid. Police detectives apparently make 75k a year here

If money is something you're super concerned about and you want a low stress job, look into being a pharmacist.
>>
>>27951153
>Have you ever had more than one waifu at a time?
Yes. I have one waifu for hug and one for fug. Is this not normal?
>>
>>27950836
No, you retard
>>
>>27951307
No as in I can't torrent? Or no as in I wont get fucked?
>>
>>27951287
Waifu purity is something taken very seriously by the United States Military. If we started letting somebody with more than one waifu, and for the reason of being able to violate one, into the services the next thing you know we'll start letting people interested in 3DPD in. This is just asking for cases of sexual harassment, and I don't have to tell you how the government feels about that
>>
File: 1447579379567.jpg (31 KB, 464x384) Image search: [Google]
1447579379567.jpg
31 KB, 464x384
>>27951429
>the next thing you know we'll start letting people interested in 3DPD in. This is just asking for cases of sexual harassment, and I don't have to tell you how the government feels about that
>the military begins to offer unlimited anime and body pillows as incentives to get weebs to join
>entire military is focused solely on doing their job as efficiently as possible to return to the 2D world
>military researchers are ordered to develop a working virtual reality and develop AI waifus to further increase efficiency
>kantanas issued en masse as personal sidearm
>>
>>27951279
I'm not the guy looking for a job, I should have mentioned that
>>
So when I was like 11 I was out of shape, and when I ran I got out of breath fast. went to the doctor who gave me an inhaler without testing anything. I've never refilled it, what's the best course of action? Want to join the navy, be a greenside corpsman. ive never even though about using an inhaler, and never have even been close to unable to breathe, and i played sports all through he high and highschool.
>>
>>27951661
Tell your recruiter this. He'll tell you if you should bother saying it or not. Remember, he wants you to get into the Navy. It's the docs at MEPS who DQ you.
>>
>>27951675
Alright. Anyone know any particulars about going FMF? I know it sounds dumb and shit, but I wouldn't mind a grunt unit. My grandpa saw combat at 15 in the pacific, I figure I can do it if need be. And I'm 6 years older. I've read it really depends on the class you are in, but are there any ways to guarantee FMTB?
>>
>>27951754
>I know it sounds dumb and shit, but I wouldn't mind a grunt unit.

"I don't want to hang out in a hospital like everyone else, I want to do badass things with my Marine buddies!" - Every single Corpsman.

It's pretty competitive because everyone wants to do it.
>>
>>27951052
>I hear even 160th SOAR... medics go through SOCM.
Correct.

CA medics do not attend SOCM - there's a separate course that focuses on more relevant areas of focus.
>>
>>27952280
Well, let me clarify, their pipeline does not include SOCM or the ATP examination. They can attend though.
>>
>>27950996
>I'm concerned about lucrative careers in the civilian world post military
>While I want to stay in the Army as long as possible I saw EMT's only have an average salary of like 32,000 and that ain't shit

One of the guys my mom works with came out of the Military (and was recalled multiple times during Iraq/Afgan wars) with full triage, fast roping, jump qualled, etc training (don't know if he was actually a pararescue or exact MOS). After his last call up couple years ago he signed on with a local hospital for their Helo rescue EMT as a second job and quit within a couple months. He made the same pay as the ground EMT's with no extra benefits or anything, he said he made more money doing the Home Health nursing than he did the EMT job and it straight up wasn't worth it.
>>
>>27952450
EMTs really don't make great money. Nursing is where it's at.
>>
>>27949230
>>27949666

Pretty much. I was fine with PT and the confidence courses and all that, but after a month and a half of not-sleeping on those racks, scuzzing the deck, brisk hikes with 50lb packs and all the other stuff you do at PI it was pretty damn painful on the hip and back.

Any other time I'm fine doing it all, but with it all being constant with no rest, it added up.

If I were to continue training like that I was risking a -femoral crown fracture-, which would require permanent pins in my hip, obviously permanently disabling. So since they spotted it before it happened they sent me home.

It really sucks but I also understand, I know I wouldn't forgive myself if I was ever with a fire team and became a liability because of that fracture if it happened at the wrong time. I loved the guys in my platoon and they graduated May 15, wish to hell I could have been there and finished with them. 3rd Battalion, India Company, Plt. 3037
>>
is there an average ASVAB score?
>>
>>27952674

afqt is an average of all attempts 18-23
>>
>>27952674
It's a percentile so I guess the average would be 50?
>>
>>27951269
>http://www.usarec.army.mil/armypa/
hey thanks i'm gonna look into this
>>
Please respond >>27951117
>>
are there any military jobs i can do without being physically fit? (and without being made to become physically fit.).

i'm more curious than seriously considering joining up, i'm happy with my current job.
>>
>>27955727

They're all going to require you to meet the minimum standards. There are lots of them you can do at the minimums with no problem though. 50%+ of the military is desk jobs nowadays.
>>
>>27951213
If you can't be asked to actually do your homework and read some of the many good resources about it out on the internet, you should not consider being a nuke. The military is not about spoonfeeding you, and the entire nuke program is incredibly good at shitting on lazy retards.
>>
>>27951213
amazing pay, really easy to promote and quite laid back, would totally go for it!
>>
This is it bois, I leave today. Good luck to you fine gentlemen and stay out of trouble!
Going to Fort Jackson as a forward observer. Might run into some of you guys.
>>
>>27956859

Godspeed, man.
>>
Question for guard. I see on their site it says you can do training during the summer so you don't miss a semester of college, if you're a college student. What if your ait is longer than two months? I'm assuming you would have no choice but to take a semester off then.
>>
>>27955727
No. Even desk jobs are required to maintain a minimum level of fitness.
>>
>>27941666
Getting shipped tomorrow for basic, signed up as ITS
>>
Is becoming a Marine officer through OCS worth it? I mean, I don't mind getting payed extra, of course, but I don't want to miss out on action either.
>>
>>27958161
If you go enlisted, by the end of your first year you will wish you were an officer. You will change your mind.
>>
>>27941666
Studying AT-I at Pensacola right now.
>>
Am I going to destroy my body if I'm a SERE specialist? I'm starting to think being an officer would be more worthwhile in the long term, and I'm less likely to leave with exploded knees.
>>
>>27958177

I figured out as much, but may I ask why? I'm still a poolee and I got great scores on the ASVAB, if that helps.
>>
>>27958206
You'll have found out first hand why the Marines have the absolute lowest re-enlistment rate of any branch of service.
>>
>>27958332

Well then, alright. I'll consider OCS once again then, thanks.
>>
>>27941611
how many swim calls do submarines generally get?(attack) also, i hear its getting harder and harder to get into rhe military. is this true for submariners, seems like a really cool career with a great community. I really want to be apart of it. Also, do enlisted get dolphins?
>>
>>27958206

A lot better pay and a lot better treatment.
>>
File: image-1.jpg (98 KB, 473x345) Image search: [Google]
image-1.jpg
98 KB, 473x345
This is a QTDDIOT, but it's for staying in as opposed to joining.

I'm in the Marines right now, and I've got a year and some change until my EAS. The only thing I like about the Marine Corps are the Marines I've met, and some cool experiences. Other than that, you're just constantly getting fucked over. Dealing with bureaucracy, constantly having your opportunities for schools and courses limited, etc. I understand that this is probably the entire military to varying extents, but there's definitely a reason that Marines re-enlist the least out of other service members.

So, I'm thinking that since I'd like to get more out of my military service and do more than I have so far (which isn't much), and I know my opportunities for it will be limited in the Corps, I've recently been debating joining the Army. Either active duty, or NG. The main perk for the Reservist/Guard side would be not constantly being around the military, but at the same time I'd assume active duty allows you to have more opportunities for learning new things.

I'm thinking about going 11X if I do it. I enlisted into 03XX in the Marine Corps, but it got changed to Comm Tech in boot camp. Again, another reason I have a bad taste in my mouth for the Marine Corps. So, I figure I could get experience doing what I'd actually wanted to, while potentially getting to go to jump school, sniper school, SERE, or whatever else. If I proved to be good enough at my duties, maybe try something super high speed.

Or 19K. Because tanks are pretty fucking sweet. 68W would be nice if I could guarantee I'd be a doc with a line company, but I've heard its like Navy Corpsman where there's no guarantee where you end up. So 11X is my main pick still.

>Inb4 don't do it you'll miss POG life

Absolutely not.

But any input from Armybros, anyone who's changed services, etc. would be outstanding.
>>
>>27958605
>how many swim calls do submarines generally get?(attack)
I'm on an SSBN, but I've never done one. Even on SSNs it's rare.

>also, i hear its getting harder and harder to get into the military.
This is true, but mostly for the incompetent. The military always needs intelligent people, the need for dumb-asses comes and goes.

>is this true for submariners, seems like a really cool career with a great community. I really want to be apart of it.
The submarine fleet is pretty stable at the moment. There are reductions, but they are slow. Bubbleheads comprise a small part of the fleet, though. Getting onto a sub has always been hard.

>Also, do enlisted get dolphins?
No, only officers get dolphins. Everyone else just gets a shitty pin. (I named my dolphin Mr. Squeakers.)
>>
>>27958839

You're prior service, which means if you want to join the Army you've got a really short list of jobs you can get. That's usually 18X (Special Forces candidate), 35P (cryptolinguist, although probably not now that they're way overstaffed), and perhaps whatever the direct conversion of your Marine MOS is if they need people.

If you're a huge bitch you could take an 18X slot and fail the fuck out of everything beyond infantry school though, that's a fast-track to being a vanilla infantryman.
>>
What can/should I learn in order to go EOD?
>>
>>27958839
>I've heard its like Navy Corpsman where there's no guarantee where you end up.

Correct. You can affect it slightly by being airborne, but even still you're going to end up wiping asses in a "regular" medical unit sooner or later.
>>
>>27959049
What does a 35P washout go to? 35F, or whatever they feel like that day?
>>
>>27959117
Probably improving your PT score.
>>
>>27959117
Learn "how to study". Basically figure out techniques for how you best learn and retain knowledge.

If you absolutely want to learn something "EOD related" I recommend learning the very basics of electrical systems, and mechanical systems (for example study how to take apart a car engine using a manual. The information doesn't transfer, but the concepts do.) Absolutely DO NOT try to study about ordnance online in an attempt to get a leg-up in training. All you're going to do is fuck yourself up and get confused by loooking at contradictory and possibly misleading information.

Go to the gym and get good at long haul cardio. For example being able to jog 5 or 10 miles at a moderate pace, or swim vigorously for an hour. Also do exercises in the gym to strengthen your legs, core, and back. Stuff like deadlifts, cleans, and squats. The 5x5 program is a good start.
>>
>>27942195
If combat deployments is what you want you really ought to go SOF. Army SOF is doing a big recruitment drive right now, the adverts I've seen on base are for SF, SOAR, and PSYOPS. SF certainly sees combat but the only guys who make it already have combat experience. One guy from my OSUT class ran marathons and did suck-fest events, had a 300 APFT, a double major in BioChem and Phil, and already spoke Spanish and Hindi fluently, and he finished selection but was not selected. 18X is a one way ticket to the 82nd Airborne. 11X Opt. 40 is probably your best bet. It is hard to be sure, but doable. The graduation rate is 55% on average (my class was the lowest of 2015 at 43% and I've heard of classes with a 70% grad rate), but from recruitment to graduation rate it was a 90% attrition rate for guys from my OSUT. A huge part of that was people being scared into dropping their contracts in OSUT by the Ranger liason. Finishing RASP is tantamount to being selected.
>>
>>27959049

That's weird about cyrpto, but I'm not at all surprised that 18X is one they'd try to push a lot. Recon contracts for the USMC are basically open contracts or a retain Kent method in disguise for recruiters and career planners, they'll butter up a poolee or Marine by saying they think he's high speed enough to sit with the cool kids. When he (most likely) fails BRC, he'll end up getting some random job not at all related to the 03 field or he'll just go right back to the MOS he'd just had for another four years. I'd imagine that's pretty much the leverage behind an 18X contract, considering most people fresh out of civilian life probably aren't ready to be Green Berets.

Having said that, if I'd ended up playing that roulette and signing 18X it'd only be if I was undoubtedly about going SF. Mostly on a pride thing, I'd be pissed at myself whether l failed on purpose or if I just couldn't hack it. Besides, relating to what I was saying about Recon - isn't it just as likely that they'd send you wherever Uncle Sam pointed his finger at? Recon-contract washouts typically get some MOS like Supply or Motor T. Seeing as I'd signed for 03XX in my first enlistment but the Green Weenie switcharoo'd that shit to Comm Tech whIle I was still in boot camp, I can't risk doing any job but what I want again.

Or, 11X happens to be open by a stroke of luck and all is well. Either way, I appreciate your helpful insight.
>>
>>27959178
I'm already pretty proficient with engines and I have a pretty basic knowledge of mechanical and electrical systems. I just need to hit the gym I guess?
>>
>>27959342
I'd be a good idea. The maximizing of cardio is to help when you're having to function with chemical/radiation/bombsuit gear on. It's important to be able to not just physically function but be able to still clearly think and problem solve while wearing all that stuff. A common saying is that 30 minutes of a bombsuit drops your IQ by a 1/4, so you have to fight that and stay level headed.

The other thing would be to brush up on math. Nothing more advanced than algebra 2, but be able to do it without a calculator.
>>
File: 1444693512889.gif (35 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1444693512889.gif
35 KB, 750x750
I haven't been in these threads yet til now.

I have school paid for by the VA and Texas thanks to Hazelwood, but I've been considering joining the military anyway.

Is there anyway I can do military without being shipped off for however many months?

I believe my father did National Guard and went in as a Captain for the Army.

I currently do a lot of technology work(CS major, Info Security Minor) and due to some complications I'm out of school til next fall. I'm just working oddjobs and getting certifications til then and thought maybe now would be the best time if any to join up or get my foot in the door.

I know the Air Force has a cyber division. don't know about army.

It may sound stupid but I would like to carry a sidearm. I don't need to see combat or anything. I want to just serve my country somehow.

I would like to avoid having a strict desk job. I'd hate making powerpoints and doing paperwork all the time.

tl;dr;
wanna be an officer, have a sidearm, good with computers and dont want a deskjob

pls help
>>
>>27959255

18X washout is pretty much guaranteed to go infantry, because an 18X who washes out of SFAS is already a fully qualified airborne infrantryman. There's no point in spending more money to retrain them when you can just ship them immediately to the 82nd.

The Army doesn't switcharoo contracts at a whim, but they can do it if you fail your training.
>>
>>27959146

Used to be that they'd try to send you to another job with a clearance, but a lot of people were trying to exploit that system so last I heard 35P dropouts are now 100% "needs of the Army".
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.