[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
M9A3
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5
File: BerettaM9A3.jpg (659 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
BerettaM9A3.jpg
659 KB, 1200x800
How triggered would /k/ be if this becomes the next service pistol?
>>
it looks nice, and its not horrible
tons of interchangeable parts already in circulation , also service pistols for military arent exactly top priority
>>
i want to see the 1911 return but the m9a3 is nice
>>
>>27939054
It wont
>>
File: 1445256899527.jpg (96 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1445256899527.jpg
96 KB, 1000x1000
When will the us military stop jerking around and finally adopt pic?
>>
Don't know about triggered but if it by some miracle it does happen I am definitely hitting up Satan for the free sleigh rides.
>>
>Adopting a 45 year old design.
>>
>>27939054

If only they'd use a frame-mounted safety like the 92 Steel I. The M9A3 is still nice, though. It'd be even better if the Mec-Gar flush fit 18 rounders go into service alongside the M9A3.
>>
>>27939457
Don't underestimate the entrenched nature of military contracts. I think the only reason we replaced the 1911 is simply because we made so many in WW2. Being that there was no current contract to bribe/defend, we got a new pistol when the 1911 stock got old.
>>
Who cares? It's a fucking pistol. It won't revolutionize the military.

Wake me up when they're going to replace the Abrams or something else that actually matters large-scale.
>>
>>27939502

Well, the A3 is supposedly coming soon...
>>
>>27939054
I like it. An improvement over the predecessor with few major changes, by most accords. May have to look into getting one myself later on.
>>
>>27939451

the US military will never adopt a pistol without at least 2 mechanical safety features. Enough fucking retards shoot themselves and each other on accident with the M9 as is. Give your average 19 year old MP or 22 year old LT a glock 19 and you've upped the ND rate tenfold.
>>
>>27939054

I hate that fucking diarrhea brown color they keep slapping on guns these days.
>>
>How triggered would /k/ be if this becomes the next service pistol?
Why would anyone be triggered? Its the same gun they already have with a lick of new paint, a rail and a slightly larger mag. Were people triggered when the M16a4 replaced the M16a2?
>>
>>27939573
+ different profile grip with changeable panels, longer threaded barrel + changed angle on teh safety while in the fire position.

Its all pretty small stuff, but it does make it better, does it make it as good as a p226 or FNX-tactical of course not, but since when was being the best the reason they got a military contract?
The next service handgun will be decided in backrooms drinking whiskey and with breifcases of money, not in the hands of those using it.
>>
The Sig P320 is the only pistol that meets their ludicrous requirements.
>>
>>27939054
i wouldent be surprised.
>>
>>27939054
>new M9, only $300 more than the old one and no significant advantage!
They are completely over-hyped.
>>
>>27939554
Pretty sure this is why the P7 wasn't adopted
>>
>>27939854
Seriously those requirements are absurd, we're just gonna go through years and hundreds of thousands just to find that upgrading to the new M9 or placing another a1 order is the best option.
>>
>>27939451

When starts making quality guns again.
>>
>>27940018
They just need to go ahead and get the MP 9 full size for "fighting" and MP Shield 9 for CID.
>>
>>27939566

I don't really care for it much either, but at least it's understandable on a military gun because it's camouflage in sandy environments.

>>27939854

That's what I've been thinking too. Unless they want to see companies make a new pistol to compete which would be cool.
>>
>>27940089

%99.999999999 of the time across the service life of a standard issued pistol, it will be spent in an armory or holstered. Having a camoflauge pistol is pointless. It would be better if it was covered in bright orange reflective tape, so when some dumbass drops and loses it, the thing will be easier to find.
>>
>>27939054
If the goddamn safety was merely a decocker, it'd be fine. But higher upper officers and crusty do-nothing NCOs get their panties in a twist about a "dangerous" weapon design if it doesn't have a safety.
>>
I'm personally interested myself. The only thing I don't like about the 92 is how fat they are for my babby hands. I don't know if I like MSRP, but what sort of retard buys gun at MSRP?

>>27940399
Well, a decocker only version will be offered for us civilians.
>>
Not triggered at all, shit would be dope.
>>
>>27939554
Why not just change the pistol doctrine to Israeli/Arab style (loaded without a round in the chamber, racking the slide as you present the pistol)?
>>
File: Im_an_ossifer.jpg (159 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
Im_an_ossifer.jpg
159 KB, 960x640
>>27940462
Oh I know about the decocker only civilian models. I'm not personally a huge fan of the whole line of handguns, but I find them "adequate" with the caveat of being a decocker only model.

It just pissed me off in the military how pistols were treated as "FOB bling" for officers that they carried instead of rifles. No officers took them seriously as a weapon or trained on them, so had very little familiarity with them and were scared to death of their own weapon. I mean, in theory, the whole point of keeping a weapon with you on a FOB is for self defense, but what good is a completely unloaded and safed weapon? Or in combat if you've got a handgun and you actually need to pull it out for self defense, shit's probably gone downhill and that's the exact last moment you need a manual safety.

The logic sometimes makes me so angry.

Eh. My unit issued us M9s and our 1SG actually was a total pistol fanatic who took it seriously and specifically said to keep them locked, loaded, and safety off outside the wire or in the ANA compounds. But that's a huge deviation from SOP.
>>
>>27939872
its funny when they were offering em to the military a huge selling point was it doesnt cost more than what we are already selling you

but for civilians jack that shit up
>>
>>27940553
Weird huh? It's almost like they were pointing out the existing logistical infrastructure in place for supporting hundreds of thousands of handguns.

Also pretty sure the government pays less per gun than you do because they are buying literal tons of them.
>>
>>27940376
That is what lanyards are for.
>>
>>27940527
Jesus, the look on that CSM, or is it a Master Sgt's face.
>>
>>27940577
im not expecting em to be sold at govt contract price but right now you can buy a m9 marked 92f
>>
Small arms development, insofar as the military is concerned, is nothing short of a joke. The individuals responsible for making decisions regarding purchase, procurement, distribution and life-cycle spend about as much time thinking about small arms improvements (with respect to the actual firearm) as they do deciding if they want regular or extra butter popcorn at the commissary. I can hear /k/ now "But gunz r cool!" Well yeah, they're cool. They're ultimately irrelevant too. Small arms don't win or lose wars, them just the facts. There are a myriad other issues that can be addressed or have money thrown at them which will show orders of magnitude more improvement than purchasing a new small arm, especially a fucking handgun. No one gives a fuck about handguns, even the cool guys in SOCOM and JSOC largely regard them as something they have to keep around, and treat them as such ala the Glock 19 in use. Noting out there justifies the cost (not just financial) of replacing the issue handgun, since nothing exists which can provide sufficient benefit to justify that cost. People often deflect with "well it wouldn't cost as much as X program!". Duh, but your pet peeve program of choice gets results. Things like the F-35, in theory, dominate entire theatres of war with actions like crippling logistical lines and smashing air/armor/infantry at a rate and efficiency no small arms program could ever match. Small arms don't even really win individual engagements in modern doctrine, artillery and air do. This isn't even addressing package upgrades for the weapon themselves, which are often infinitely more effective at upgrading the capability of a small arm then a different weapon would be, not to mention being more utilitarian. If you told me I had to choose between upgrading something like the M4 to a SCAR-L or upgrading every PVS-14 for PVS-15s, I know what I would choose.

tl;dr small arms a shit and no one who understands anything gives a fuck especially about handguns.
>>
>>27939451
im pretty sure the coast guard has already though or a least a sig sauer of some type .
>>
>>27941097
Couple things. Coast guard is no longer part of the DoD, they use the p229 and they niggered it up by going DAK.
>>
>>27940580

Lanyards only exist because of the morons who think pistols are a piece of flare, or a status symbol that they can carry to the chow hall instead of lugging around their equally unfired service rifle.
>>
What are you nutjobs even talking about, the army formally rejected the A3 a year ago.
>>
>>27940500

Because it's shit?
>>
>>27941383

They said they couldn't submit it as an update to the current M9 contract and would have to submit it through their new pistol trial. That is not the same as rejecting, even though the douchecanoe who made that call probably doesn't want to see the M9 anymore.
>>
>>27939451
I doubt the US military will ever adopt a pistol without an external safety.
Brass is fudd as fuck and 75% of the GI are functionally retarded.
>>
>>27940500
I'm sure that doctrine came about because every alleyway sand nigger would leap for their guns
>>
>>27939054
It won't

US Military officials already stated they were looking to adopt something other than another M9 variant. They also stated they were open to considering 9mm, .40 and .45 caliber handguns, although I don't know if that's still the case. The article that I read that in is probably a year old now.
>>
>>27941279
That is what pistols are for 99% of the military.
>>
>>27940527
>>27940592
>Dat Major General
>Dat Command Sergeant Major

Who deploys the knife hand quicker?
>>
>>27941146
>p229
>in .40 DAK

fucking why? Probably going to be the only time I ever shoot such a gun ever in my life
>>
>>27939054
What's with the move toward a straight up-and-down grip angle? I thought that cocking your wrist down a little actually gave you better stability.
>>
>>27944116
I hope we go back to the good old .45, no matter what it's chambered in. Just because.
>>
>>27939499
Theyve already told beretta to make a new gun or shove this one up their non-white asses
>>
File: then there's this asshole.jpg (19 KB, 237x305) Image search: [Google]
then there's this asshole.jpg
19 KB, 237x305
>>27940527

God damn, the hate in the CSM's eyes.
>>
>>27940527
>locked, loaded, and safety off

You mean decocked, loaded, and safety off?
>>
>>27940900
Everything you said is true. But this is /k/

It's a good bet that no one here has ever heard the adage that, "Amatuers talk tactics. Professionals talk logistics."

The same thing holds true for weapons, and most of the COD kiddies here would suffer exploded heads if they ever understood how much this is true.

Strategically speaking railroads, highways, airports, and terrain features matter much more than incremental improvements in firearms.

BUT:

Swampland vs. forest doesn't rustle any jimmies. Logistics and infrastructure aren't sexy. Bombs and bullets are infinitely more interesting than beans and bandages.

We all come here because guns aren't boring and we are interested in them.
>>
>>27944266
Checked

And yup. His face gives me keks every time. The captain on the left is a little out of focus, but he even knows that shit is ate up. I think the general is about to say something though.
>>
>>27944084
I had an ND once with a fucking M4.
>Rolling around Iraq in 2004. Stop HUMVEE to check something out. (don't remember what.) Next thing I know Shit starts getting kinda intense. Bomb goes off behind some houses. I'm outside of the HUMVEE for some reason up against a wall. Yad yada yada run back to convoy. Sling gets hook on something and rifle get's snagged on hinge. As I close the door "pop" and our HUMVEE has a new whole in the floor.
Shit sucked for me over the next 3 month of extra duty... But it could of been much worse.
>>
>>27944102
The doctrine came about because they didn't have "a" service pistol but instead a slapdash bunch of different pistols, where leaving the safety off and racking the slide was the best way to ensure you were good to go regardless of which pistol you got.
>>
File: 1409320092186.jpg (42 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
1409320092186.jpg
42 KB, 500x367
>>27944406
Jesus Christ.
>>
>>27944232
It's not a different angle; just a smaller backstrap. Accommodates smaller hands a bit better.
>>
>>27939054
I don't really have a problem with the M9A3. It actually looks very good to be quite honest. The changes, especially the minor one on the slide safety/decocker was pretty great.
>>
>>27940611
No you can buy a M9 marked M9, 92fs, 92A1, M9A1, 90-two, 92G, Elite II or Vertec. Non of which have the combined features of the A3.

To get close you would have to get a Vertec frame with an Elite slide with a G conversion, or a G slide + milling and sights then add the threaded barrel to either, the add a D springs to that
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.