[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Steyr
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: unnamed.jpg (49 KB, 568x460) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
49 KB, 568x460
Anyone on here have any experience with this gun? The only negative I've heard about it is the earlier models were picky with ammo any some FTE. I think they've since corrected that.
>>
File: IMG_2991.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2991.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>27937931
Early production M9A1.

Came with old extractor that was shit, as such the gun sucked with FTE's and other malfunctions.

Got new extractor and plunger for free from Steyr

I get a few light primer strikes from time to time with cheap ammo. 1 or 2 in a box of 50 with any kind of steel case. 1 or 2 in every ~200 or so of S&B or Magtech. My guns detests American Eagle, wont extract worth a fuck. Never a problem feeding. Never a malfunction of any kind with defensive ammo or my buddys dad's handloaded plinking ammo. CCI primers in there, mixed brass loaded with cheapo bulk assorted 124gr hollow points and FMJ.

Dont fucking bother with WWB or UMC.

Holster selection sucks. Mags are ok priced. I like the sights, its too bad they dont make triangle tritium lamps.

Trigger pull is fine, reset is short enough, but not particularly tactile.

What else... idk.

Overall, I like it. I don't love it. First pistol purchase that I made in a hurry. I wouldn't recommend it, but I also wouldn't not recommend it if you catch my drift. Could be more reliable, but I have never had a problem in plenty of practice sessions with Gold Dots and HST's so I am not too worried about it.

I am planning on retiring mine to a range gun in place of a Glock 26 or Glock 43
>>
>>27938027
I noticed your pic was a C9 after I posted...

So I suppose I don't have any experience with it. Pretty much Glock 19 vs 17 difference I would assume. I would have liked the C9 or S9, but based on my experience with the M9, I am not in a hurry to get either one. Still would like to have the whole 9 and 40 range at some point though, M-S-C-L.
>>
>>27937931
I picked one up in 357 sig the other day. Put a bunch of rounds through it without any issues. They are built like tanks as far as polymer pistols go. The trigger is nice too. If you want one they can be had for under $500. Tough to go wrong. Plus you'll have a gun that a lot of others don't.

Fyi the newer or 4th "gen" guns have a roll pin under the rear sight. Speaking of sights, you'll either love 'em or hate 'em.
>>
They are allegedly better than Glocks but with rarer parts.

Steyr has a loyal customer base from what I've heard, too. They have amazing customer service from what I've heard.
>>
File: image.jpg (96 KB, 640x476) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96 KB, 640x476
While we're in this thread, I'm new to CC and want a quality CCW pistol.

I've been looking at Kahr PM9's, Kimber Solo's, and Sig 938's.

Does anyone have tips/advice on these? Any recommendations?
>>
>>27938027
>Dont fucking bother with WWB or UMC.

add perfecta to that list
>>
The current production ones are good to go. The older ones had a litany of problems and in some cases were imported as parts from various generations and slapped together, iirc Steyr was offering support for these pistols they had no real obligation to do so.
Since it's rolled out it's seen grip changes, trigger changes, the removal of the loaded chamber indicator, a rail update, and extractor improvements, being better for all of them.
>>27937931
>Holster selection sucks. Mags are ok priced. I like the sights, its too bad they dont make triangle tritium lamps.
This.
The newer triggers with the roll pin are marginally better. Best striker trigger out of the box I've ever tried though.

Wanted a striker and bought one on a whim as they were being clearanced out and couldn't be happier, try before you buy if possible. The grip angle and the sights certainly aren't for everyone.
>>
>>27938027
Those early slides look so goddamn sexy.

Owned my M9A1 for a few years now. Feels absolutely brilliant in the hand. Sights and ergos work for me, and the trigger really is fantastic.

Mines been very reliable with all sorts of ammo, even WWB and UMC. Not perfect, get a few light primer strikes, which seems to be kinda common.

That said, I started taking a closer look at the internals. As one anon said, the gun is built like a tank, and I'd definitely agree. I'm fascinated with the incredibly simple and seemingly robust striker assembly. But I noticed something I didn't like:

The striker features a hollow base that houses the striker spring. The spring's tension is so great that it kinda 'bunches' or snakes up unevenly around the guide rod.

I'm finding that the striker's base (where the spring inserts) seems to be wearing against the top of the striker channel. I can't be sure, but this could be creating a 'claw' that catches the striker spring every now and then **causing said light primer strikes** due to reduced impact velocity.

I'm really hoping somebody else with a Steyr can examine the striker body/channel for any signs of what I describe.

In the meantime, I swapped the stock retaining bushing on the end of the striker spring guide rod with one from BTGuiderods. Noticeably improves the trigger even further by decreasing creep on the break. The site offers a different striker spring as well, but when I tried it I immediately lost all reliability and switched back to stock. Still testing the bushing. Who knows, maybe that's a solution to the light strikes
>>
>>27939674
+1 all of this

>but not trying to get
>>>/reddit/ed
>>
Bought a used one online. Its older, so it's got a meh trigger. Feels great in the hand, and shoots better than I can. I love it, want to get a new production L or C series soon. Botach has a decent price on mags, make an offer on the site page and see what happens. Free shipping too
>>
>>27937931
I bought a Steyr S9 recently and I've been feeding it a variety of ammo. Haven't found anything it doesn't like yet, and I've been buying the cheap walmart ammo for it and have had no problems.

My down sides to it are as every one has said, finding a holster for it. I can't find extra magazine locally and end up ordering them online.

Maybe I've become one of those loyal fans of the firearm, but it's become my preferred firearm. This may or may not be the firearm for you, you'll never know until you check one out.
>>
>>27937931
I've been seriously looking into the Steyr because I think they're interesting little guns. From what I've researched, they're okay guns performance wise, nothing to gawk at. I think that's why they've become sort of "hipster" handguns because they're not particularly good but they look cool and you almost never see them.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.