[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /k/ Don't want this to be a sap story but I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 295x171) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 295x171
Hey /k/

Don't want this to be a sap story but I'm confident that many of you have great answers for me so just hear me. out.

During the end of my sophomore year and engineering uni I was "appoached" by a US naval recruiter trying to get naval engineering officers. I Was incredibly interested in the dive engineering program so I signed up as possible enlistment or whatever. Technically you don't "join" the military until you graduate with you engineering degree but they put you in programs that get you ready and shit before sending you officers training. My grades checked out perfectly, I passed the first and simple physical exams into the middle of my 5th semester.

The recruiter told me is was time to get a very thorough physical examination. Went through it and a few weeks later my recruiter met with me again and sadly told me the US Navy would not be able to admit me. After asking why he told me my blood exam with anomalies. He said the the EKG heart exam showed I have two serious heart defects. Based on this information he said the US Navy could not allow a sailor in my condition to join for liability purposes.

I knew about the heart defects. When I was in highschool football practice I suddenly collapsed and was put into a self induced coma for 26 hours. Docs say the only way to fix it was to do x and X and bla bla. So I did and I thought it was fixed. Not according the US Navy. Right now I'm on a heart transplant list which is incredibly corrupt making it safe to believe it will never happen.

Whatever though. I got a boring ass job as a structural engineer. None of it invlolves defending my Country or anything.

I'm still young though (24) and was wondering if other branches of the military cared about heart defects?

Does any /k/ bro know of any way to get around this? Is it morally right to join the military with a heart defect?
>>
>Find terrorist
>take his heart
>put in cooler
>take to medic
>transfer to Navy
>>
>>27934820
Medics don't fix people anon , they just make you more comfortable when you die
>>
>>27934929
And harvest your geneseed.

But not OP's defective geneseed tho :(
>>
>>27934731
>Is it morally right to join the military with a heart defect?

morally right? it's your heart, explode it if you want. the chance of your condition injuring someone else is far lower than the chance of someone else's stupidity injuring you.
>>
>>27934976
The recruiter said it's not really your life but their liability. They would have to pay life insurance for "dying in the line of duty". I guess I'm a walking time bomb and they don't want to pay for it.

>>27934820
great idea anon
>>
>>27934731
>into a self induced coma
I want to hear more about this part of your story
>>
They all care, but it's possible that the Border Patrol does not. Or some other three letter government agency.
>>
>>27934731
>engineering uni
>US naval recruiter
try to sell your bullshit elsewhere you cockgobbling tea n crumpet sucking piece of shit..... damn you sure wake up early as fuck to shitpost on /k/, what is it, you wanted to get in a quick shitpost before you have to use the loo n catch the bus?

fuck off.
>>
>>27935022
Was running 100m dashes (we called them gassers) numerous time. It was for conditioning purposes to keep the players lungs and endurance in shape.I knew I had heart arrhythmia but I took medication for it. IJust like any player, I because exhausted. and after 600m I starting feeling tingling and my heart kept stopping for breifs amount of time before starting up again. On the 7th run I felt my heart beating almost stop but I foolishly kept going thinking oh this is just normal I'm pretty sure everyone goes through it. Soon after I black out and fall over. I went in and out of conciousness after a while but sure blacked out. Apparently they used a dephib on me but it didn't really work. Ambulance showed up and revived me. After getting to the ER they put me in a self-induced coma to preserve the brain from lack of oxygen. It was only 26 hours I think Not too uncommon but ever since then they perform EKGs on all students once a year to identify heart defects.
>>
>>27935190
I-I don't get the joke.
>>
File: UNT-Seal-White.jpg (185 KB, 628x472) Image search: [Google]
UNT-Seal-White.jpg
185 KB, 628x472
>>27934731
Those guys came to up to me also back when I was finishing up my undergrad. What their wanting you for is the naval nuke program. It's a shitty job, I had a couple friends join it and they say it's a pretty depressing job. One of my close friends regrets it and wished he went to grad school. I chose instead to go to pic related and now getting PhD Physics. I don't like boats.

The Air Force is the career you're after if you have some physical ailment. Unless your SP is missile maintenance you'll have a desk job. Their also more lenient on your physical grade.
>>
>>27934731
>Does any /k/ bro know of any way to get around this? Is it morally right to join the military with a heart defect?

No way round it, you cannot get any job in the Military with a heart defect.
>>
>>27935555
>After getting to the ER they put me in a self-induced coma
It's not self-induced if someone else puts you into it you gigantic idiot. How the fuck are you even in engineering school? And in what bizarro world did you expect to join the military with a major fucking heart defect? Are you retarded?
>>
>don't want this to be a sap story
>posts sap story

Fuck off. You are DQ'd from military service, that's it. Move on with your life and do something else. You are no less of a person unless you decide you are lesser than the retard 11b in the army who didn't have a heart condition.

people find out about DQ conditions all the time at MEPS, and they survive and do something else with their lives
>>
>>27934731
I had a similar defect OP, as did one of my uncles, and it's suspected that my great grandfather did as well. My heart can't pump blood efficiently enough, leaving it to overwork itself and cause me to tire very fast. For instance, despite doing cardio for the past five years, I still can't actually complete a full mile jog. In my uncle's case, the strain literally killed him when playing football one day -- his heart just gave out in the middle of a game.

Essentially, the sad truth is you'd be a liability in any combat force that relies on you to preform a role. A defect in the heart could cause a complication under high exertion, which would lead to you becoming incapacitated and thus someone else's responsibility in the field. You might have noteworthy skills, but because of that, they'll go unused.

That said, I would suggest finding a doctor to fudge your results if you're serious about committing to the military. I had decided I didn't care all that much, so I was fine being a civilian worker instead. Just keep the above in mind when you make the decision.

I'm sure your condition is different from mine, but as for me, there's no real fix and with the shortage of hearts available, I'm not going to get a replacement (Which is fine because mine seems to work ok for a desk job anyway). Perhaps in 10 or so years, medical technology will advance to the point where a synthetic fix would be available, but for now I must make do.
>>
>>27934731
you can still defend your country. Just not by joining the armed forces. Just train with guns and wait for the happening.
>>
File: brit long live queen.gif (912 KB, 397x312) Image search: [Google]
brit long live queen.gif
912 KB, 397x312
>>27935565
Apparently this guy thinks OP is British. I guess.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.