[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How effective are flying kicks in martial arts?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: arachnid9.png (667 KB, 2242x1600) Image search: [Google]
arachnid9.png
667 KB, 2242x1600
How effective are flying kicks in martial arts?
>>
>>27928555

Depends on the sport, situation, and skill. When I used to do full contact TKD I got two knock outs with flying kicks. You see it being used in TKD, Karate, and you could find it in K-1/PRIDE. There's a lot of power behind it it, and if you set it up right and can get your opponent to move out of position (fake a low kick so they drop their hands for example) you can have straight access to their head.

However in sports like MMA you can be left wide open and especially when you're tired it's very hard to do a jump/flying kick without some kind of build up.
>>
>>27928572
This plus you lose all stability in the air if you don't make contact you will eat shit in any even match.
>>
>>27928572
but isnt it very easy to dodge a flying kick or just grab his leg or something?
>>
Not for beginners. When you strike something some of your force is trasfered to the ground, jumping Strikes reduce s this and catches your target off gard
>>
>>27928555
>What is inertia? What is pressure? Why didn't I pay attention in physics? etc.
>>
>>27928593
>>27928593
i didnt take physics in school, i took biology.
>>
>>27928579

Yup.

>>27928581

If when you saying flying kick you mean something like this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeRCCHJtp3Q

Yes. But when I hear 'flying kick' i also think of jump round house kicks, spin kicks etc. A true flying sidekick is fairly easy to counter as it requires a few steps for build up. But a jump round house from your front leg can be very hard to catch.
>>
>>27928620
Major? EE here.

It's really a shame when people don't take physics. So much dumb day-to-day shit can be avoided with a cursory knowledge of the concepts in Physics I. Particularly what not to do with heavy machinery (cars included).

That, and it's kind of hard to not figure out most of classical physics just by observing the world around you. I realize most people don't care enough, but I spent a lot of time outside as a kid just pondering about and experimenting with stuff like this, and it was cool to see concepts I made up names for demonstrated in school (especially hearing about how others discovered them).
>>
>>27928572
That's where mostly Muay Thai comes in and fills that gap, with flying knees, it's sort of close range, but you can still guard and if you do it right it can be fucking silly powerful
There's also one i know where you jump on the persons left leg if crouched or left like that, from there, boost up and with the right leg, go for knee or close kick to face either up or straight, though that's all I know and these could easily biff these and fuck up
>>
>>27928678

I only competed in kickboxing for about two years so I don't have a lot of experience, but I can tell you I never once saw someone even attempt the move you described. It kind of sounds like something from a Tony Jaa movie. However quick jump knees are good and I was on the receiving end of one that knocked me out cold.
>>
>>27928817
Oh I know, the jumping knees yeah, but what I just explained is probably illegal in competition (maybe not in Thailand tho) and kind of difficult to pull off, we do sometimes practice donkey kicking too, I mean that's just how the Thais fight tho
>legs
>knees
>fists
>elbows
The art of eight limbs
>>
File: arachnid13.png (671 KB, 2242x1600) Image search: [Google]
arachnid13.png
671 KB, 2242x1600
>>
>>27928555
Two guys of equal size, like in organized sports, they may work well or get you into deep shit.
If you are much smaller than your opponent you won't generate any force, and it will end bad for you. I had guys significantly smaller than me try some really well executed jump kicks on me, and they had no leverage, even with steel toes. Made it easy to ground and pound their squirrelly asses though.
>>
>>27928572
Same here. I got a cheeky KO with a jumping side kick in the early round
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.