[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/meg/ - Military Enlistment General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: 1409375428594.jpg (57 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1409375428594.jpg
57 KB, 500x500
War's a comin edition

>IRC Channel

#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

OP template
http://pastebin.com/sb5Gv1dW

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253

Ask questions, answer questions, bitch about Air Force recruiters. Just keep it contained to this general.
>>
>War's a comin edition
>Better be the first to die by enlisting
/k/ you are fucking autistic
>>
File: 1422549912739.jpg (175 KB, 1797x1198) Image search: [Google]
1422549912739.jpg
175 KB, 1797x1198
>>27926793
This really isn't the majority of /k/. Majority of /k/ hates /meg/ for some reason.

But, I'd rather join a wartime military than a peacetime one.
>>
>>27926821
4chan only the american military, they will forever talk about how they are corporate pawns and puppets, then go to work at AT&T for minimum wage, or beg for tips at starbucks because their corporate masters dont even pay them minimum wage. I might of been a pawn but atleast I got to throw grenades at work.
>>
>>27926902
*4chan only hates
>>
>>27926902
This they act like soldiers haven't been fucked by politicians in every modern war, at least in America.
>>
>>27926902
>at least I got to throw grenades at work

I might get this tattooed on me, it's seriously that perfect.
>>
>>27926793
til valhal, cock breath
>>
anyone graduate from OCS?

I'm graduating in the spring, and I'm looking into joining either the marines or the army.
>>
If I join the military what are the chances of getting a lifestyle poly if my MOS requires a Secret or Top Secret security clearance. I've expermitned with a few drugs during my teenage years (20 now realized thats not the path I want to choose).

I got a mistemeaner marijuana charge but the recruiter said he could get me a waiver. And with that I will have to list my drug history. My intincts tell me that since there's not evidence of me doing anything else that I should keep it to myself and that telling the govt that I've done mdma and lsd is probably not the best course of action. But on the otherhand if I fail a poly on that I will possibly be dishonorable discharged.

What say you fellow /k/ommandos
>>
>>27927084
Bumping for this too
>>
>>27927103
It'd comforting to know I'm not the only one with this on my mind.
>>
>>27927109
Yeah, I have an Opt 40, so I don't want to take a poly sometime down the line and get fucked.

I didn't do anything bad really, weed and I popped a molly at an EDM festival a year ago. Only told my recruiter about the weed.
>>
>>27926821
Probably because most of /meg/ has actually fired guns, actually joined the military while /k/ remains in juvenile war fantasies, and are not hostile autists.
>>
>>27927084
Polygraphs are notoriously unreliable and not valid in court. It's more of a test of how you react when you think they know whether you're telling the truth on everything. When you get a poly, it's better to be honest. You can get a waiver for "experimental use of marijuana" but if you're getting a poly for top secret clearance they don't really give a shit what you've done as long as you don't lie and you haven't done anything offensive toward America (bought 500kg of drugs from a Chinese spy, etc.)
>>
>>27927202
i wont get into the military if i say ive done pills, weed, hash, cocaine, molly, and lsd, and if i admit to lying on something like that i will get a dishonorable afaik.
>>
Whats the best rate in navy that translates into civilian world, is IT good?
>>
>>27927232
I've heard IT is a good rate.
I imagine any of them that have useful skills taught to you translate to civilian life. Like Seabees, Corpsman, any IT stuff, Intel stuff if you want a govt job, etc.

Basically, things that have applications outside the military.
>>
>>27927232

For the foreseeable future? CTN.
>>
>>27927084

You won't get a lifestyle poly in the military outside of some very very niche cases. Most people with a TS won't even get a CI poly. Even if you did, the military wouldn't be giving you the poly and wouldn't see the results. You wouldn't be getting discharged for lying at enlistment, you would be getting charged with a felony for lying on your SF86.

Just not lying in the first place is way easier than worrying about it. There's almost nothing that will prevent you from getting a clearance if you're just honest about it.
>>
File: 1442644273624.jpg (99 KB, 800x559) Image search: [Google]
1442644273624.jpg
99 KB, 800x559
I'm 25 with a bachelors, married, and have been stuck in a career I can't stand. Extremely administrative, boring, etc.

Would it be insane to enlist as an AF airborne linguist (1A8X1) or intelligence analyst? I'd prefer the former. I've read conflicting, anecdotal stories about how enlisting with a college degree and being a bit older would suck. Others say it wasn't bad at all and the best choice they made. I'm also open to officer (right off the bat, or commissioning after enlisting), but it appears the enlisted route gives me access to hard skills.

Can any anons advise on either enlisting with a college degree or 1A8X1?
>>
>>27927736

>joining the military to do intelligence and expecting to avoid boring admin work

kek
>>
>>27927736
Well 1a8 will get you a good enlistment bonus nice linguist pay and flight pay too. But you will have to go to school with 18 year olds for 2 years. And you don't actually get to do your job for about 3 years after you join. Maybe a little bit longer. Also while your in tech training for 2 years hour treated like a child. I know people that are 28 and even a guy that's 30 that joined to be a linguist.

Coming from a 1n3 I'd say go for officer. You'll get more money anyways.
>>
How is it to enlist in an army, generally speaking (not specifically talking about the USA here)?

What do you do as a soldier, what's the training like, etc
>>
didn't really get an answer in the last thread

>98 ASVAB
>pull neat contracts like 11X, 18X, 13F all at once
>ace PULHES except for hearing test they wouldn't let anyone repeat
>3 separate doctors wrote me recommendations for a waiver, still got handed a PDQ

So can I try again with air force and see if their doctors will be less faggy? Can I try to go to the MEPS in the next state over and lie about having been PDQ'd? Will I be able to qualify for anything cool like combat controller or pararescue or is it harder to get the suicidal jobs in AF than in Army?
>>
I'm a 28 yer old married guy in good shape with a bachelor's degree. I have a good career and make good money, but I'm not afraid of leaving that behind. I want to join the military. After talking with a lot of vet buddies of mine and doing my research, here are the breakdowns of what I'm hoping to achieve with my service.

>Officer
>Deployment
>Combat Arms

Now I know getting all three can be difficult, so I'm willing to make compromises. Just wanted to let you guys understand where my head is at.

I see 4 options avaliable.

>Active Army Officer
Advantages
- Officer
- Excellent career path opportunites, even if I don't get Combat Arms
- I know a lot of guys who have had their Master Degrees paid for

Disadvantages
- Getting even ACCEPTED to OCS is very difficult. The competition is extreme
- MOS selection is a crapshoot for OCS candidates, so Comabt Arms is extremely unlikely

>Active Enlisted
Advantages
- 11b Option 40. Go Ranger, get that high-speed job I'm interested in
- Most likely to get a deployment

Disadvantages
- Enlisted pay is really low, to my understanding.
- Could end up never getting deployed, fail out of RASP for some reason, just living in Garrison Life and getting shit on.

>National Guard Officer
Advantages
- Officer
- Easier acceptance rate than Active OCS
- Combat Arms branches are MUCH more attainable for NG Officers
- Even if a deployment overseas doesn't happen, may get deployed to help with emergencies stateside
- Don't have to deal with peacetime military garrison
- Can work on civilian career

Disadvantages
- Not a full time job
- National Guard, from what I've been told, is of lower quality than Active
- No Masters Degree Program
- Less likely to deploy than Active couterparts

>National Guard Enlisted
Advantages
- Choose my MOS
- Enlisted life more tolerable not living it 24/7

Disadvantages
- I've met two enlisted Guardsmen in my life, both of which advised against it
- Don't want to just feel like I'm in Boy Scouts again
>>
>>27928524
E-3 Guardsman here and I enjoy it a lot, basically I just dick around on the flight line for one weekend a month then get to go to a gun shooting summer camp for 2 weeks a year
>>
>>27929097

Nice. I heard that Guard units actually deploy at a rate similar to their active counterparts. But that they get put, essentially, in the rear with the gear. Is that true?
>>
How hard is it to get into the Maritime Police in the Coast Guard?

I'm thinking about joining the military after college (or before I finish, if shit gets real or I get sick of my SJW teachers telling me i'm an evil white man.)

The Coats Guard just seems to have quite a few cool "at home" jobs. And Maritime Policing looks like it could turn into a pretty cool career.
>>
Don't enlist.

" Except when it’s a question of demands by natives of the colonies, or the separatist sentiments of a few Irishmen, a few Bretons, or a few Occitanians, the word patriotism is almost always used today in a lying fashion. The sacrifices that are requested for “for the fatherland” they in reality have us offer to another divinity, to the nation which destroyed and robbed our fatherland, whichever it might be. No one any longer has a fatherland in the large and heterogeneous modern nations....

The love for the land of our birth is foolish, absurd, and the enemy of progress if it remains exclusive. If it were to become a means of intelligence I would praise it in the same way that the man who rests in the shade of a tree praises the seed. From my love for the land of my childhood and for the language that, I might say, first smiled on our ears should, comes love for the beauties of all of nature and the pensive music of all human languages. May my pride in my mountain teach me to admire other summits; may the gentleness of my river teach me to commune with the dream of all waters; from the charm of my forest, may I learn to find it in the measured grace of all woods; may the love of a known idea never turn me from a new idea or an enrichment that comes from afar. In the same way that a man grows beyond the size of a child, the first beauties met serve to have us ideally understand, taste, and conquer all beauties. What poverty to hear in these naive memories a poor and moving language that prevents our hearing other languages! Let us love, in our childhood memories the alphabet that allows us to read all the texts offered by the successive or simultaneous riches of our life."
>>
>>27929296

Yeah but what if I wanna shoot shit for free?
>>
>>27929296
There lack of freedom is a direct insult to my country
>>
>>27927232
nuke stuff translates well if you're a masochist
>>
>>27927217
bumping for this too
>>
>>27926902
Pretty sure it's law your employer pays your the difference if you dont make enough for minimum wage with tips.
>>
I've gotten mixed answers for this. I'm a full time student, and I want to join the guard. Can I be taken out of school for a deployment? If so, does the guard help me with the school regarding grades and shit?

Wouldn't want to just have to suck up a whole semester of Fs for a deployment.
>>
Anybody here killed a man when you could see his face?
Feels?
>>
Has anyone here been a corpsman or a medic? If so I would love to hear what you have to say about the role.
>>
>>27927217
guess you're boned then, sorry. Try 11b
>>
I'm Canadian but I feel more American and more American than Americans
I wish I could be in the American army and blow everything up and be a slave to oil
I wanna fuck up this terrorist shit

Honestly though I feel since they know the threat they span it out because a new one will just emerge

While trunks was going even more ssj against cell he was probably stalling as much as he could cause he knew buu was around the corner
>>
>>27928524
Sounds like NG Officer might be the best fit for you out of those.
>>
>>27929163
Not him, but pretty much. Tons of NG deployed to the middle east. In the event of a full scale war, almost every NG unit will probably deploy at some point.
>>
Does the USMC MOS 0231 require a polygraph test?
>>
File: sillygadsden.png (41 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
sillygadsden.png
41 KB, 1200x800
Just got assigned 3d1x2 Cyber Transport in the Air Force and I'm pretty happy with it. Anybody have any experience they can share? Tips, stories, pros and cons?
>>
>>27929186
I can see you're not in college yet. Focus on graduating first.

>>27929382
It's only masochistic if you graduate high school with a 2.0 and decide to immediately sign up to be a nuke. You definitely will make bank though, I'm not aware of any other field in the military that makes as much as nukes besides government-level officers.

>>27929435
It is.

>>27929482
Yes, if you're going to school independently and your unit deploys, you have to go. I doubt the NG will help you, although they do give some TA don't they?

>>27929704
You can join the US military if you have a green card. You'd have to be a standout though for them to take a foreigner, even a canadian, during downsizing.
>>
Do they give eye waivers even if mine are completely shit, but correct to 20/20?
>>
>>27929805
Yes.

If you're correctable to 20/20, you'll have a mark on your ERB noting your need for glasses. I think it minorly affects some MOS openings, but mostly it's there so that people know to issue you stuff like gasmask lens inserts.
>>
>>27926773
Did you seriously have a to use the gay guy in a MEG thread? WTF is wrong with you?
>>
>>27929812
>prescription gas mask lenses

What a world
>>
>>27927084
If it's not on paper it never happened
>>
>>27927084
>>27927109
>>27927103

The drug charge, they likely WILL find, and that's probably a big problem. Minor drug experimentation (trying weed once or twice a few years ago) is not a problem if you have somewhat decent qualifications. MDMA and LSD, not so much. How many other people know about your use of those drugs? If you can be reasonably sure that your friends, and THEIR friends (because they get references from your references) don't know or won't tell, then you can likely get away with lying.
>>
>>27929841
The fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>27927084
You can beat a poly easy
When they ask you a test question "what is your name, is the sky blue" think of death
It sets that feeling as "truth" so no matter how much you worry in the real part, it will be in the "truth" spectrum
>>
>>27929764
That's not what I meant. I know there is a department within the guard that helps people with civilian employers that are trying to fire people because they're deploying and shit. I was wondering if there was something similar students. Seems really unfair that Id have to just fail every class if my unit deploys mid semester.
>>
File: 103847203.jpg (35 KB, 453x576) Image search: [Google]
103847203.jpg
35 KB, 453x576
>>27930364
>gaining the martial skillset in the millenial era
>a bad idea
natsocs everyone
>>
>>27930364
medium quality bait
>>
>>27930364
>Report submitted! Closing this window in 3 seconds....
>>
>>27930422
>opinions are against rules because i'm a military fag with a superiority/entitlement complex
>announcing report isn't against board rules for people who served, ooohaaaa m'niggas *tips ACU tactical elite 300 dollar bandanna*
>>
>>27930453
Pushing politics in a help/info thread is a reportable offence, m8.
>>
>>27930453
>trolling and posting politics isn't against the rules on /k/
>implying I don't know that I myself am breaking a rule and will accept the consequences silently
>>
>>27930472
>i don't like what you're saying so you're pushing politics
Is obama the president?
Am i pushing politics by stating a fact?
No, you're an idiot.
>>
>>27930487
Make your own thread then, you entitled nolift child.
>>
>>27930487
You... do you really think what you posted were facts, and not opinions?
>>
>>27930502
>i don't like what you have to say
>into the gulag you go, filthy menshevik
Like i said, you're a cry baby with no empirical refute to my statements. I wouldn't expect someone in the military to understand the difference between fact and opinion.
>>
File: S3.webm (630 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
S3.webm
630 KB, 1280x720
Just don't replay senpai
>>
>>27930534
This is an info thread.
Not a politics thread.
>>
>>27930527
Opinion is fact until proven otherwise.
>>27930547
>this is an info thread
>but only for the federally approved, designated opinion officers, of the welfareforce
>all other sources and information is invalid because i said so!!
>>
>>27930547
>>27930534
>>27930527
>>27930502
>>27930472
Report, hide, ignore, and move on, guys.
>>
>>27930602
>>27930547
>>27930527
>>27930502
>>27930482
>>27930472
>>27930422
>>27930385
>>27930381
Report, hide, ignore, and move on, guys.
>>
>>27930558
Opinion is a fact until proven otherwise...

Wtf am I reading
>>
Should I do marine or army ocs? I know both are competitive (marines moreso) but don't know which is "better." One ex marine told me I should enlist in a branch with better funding than the marines so I'm sort of leaning towards army...
>>
>>27930669
The scientific method?
A man who forgets is without ignorance until reminded by the people who know. If you think something is wrong, feel free to say otherwise.
>>
>>27930703
Army is really fun once your legs get used to sitting down all the time. I have a friend who just got out and is now retaking 11th grade using his welfare. Thank you for your service.
>>
>>27930708
I firmly believe you are a lunatic.
This is my opinion and therefore fact until you prove otherwise.

You see how stupid that statement is?
>>
>>27930727
No, i don't. That's the difference between me and you, i'm not a cunt who enforces opinions and designated shooting streets.
I'm old enough to say, "fuck it, he can be a fag all he wants, just not on my property and around my kids", and walk away.
Designated shooting streets, that's what the military stands for, especially ours.
>>
>>27927121
Nobody cares that you will drop out of RASP. The only people with TS/SCIs that get lifestyle polys are applying for SMUs/SAPs. Things your dumbass airborne 25b self will not be involved in.
>>
>>27930230
How many friends do they look in to? So I give a reference, then they ask that reference for a reference? I'm wondering how wide a net they cast and if one could direct them toward other groups of friends.
>>
File: 1416681394433.jpg (20 KB, 680x383) Image search: [Google]
1416681394433.jpg
20 KB, 680x383
>>27930364
>he genuinely thinks American Education its worth it

hah what a fag

>this whole post
>you're dumb and Im not
>never lists a reason why
>>
>>27926773

VOLKISCHE
>>
>>27930364
>enlist
>travel, make friends, avoid whores, kill durkas, become interested in life
>Do ROTC in late 20's
>come back as an officer, have more fun
>settle down with a comfy job because you have a degree and youre a veteran(more valuable than a degree these days)
>or just PMC and retire rich at 50
>>
>>27930920
The devil pays well for your soul, but he'll fuck you eventually, or maybe it'll be your grandsons. I hope the promise of a meager existence of casual consumption was worth your freedom. I'm sure you would be serving side by side the the politician who started the war, he'll be so grateful that you flew to the opposite side of earth so you could defend the designated oil streets.
>>
>>27930973
Plz go
>>
>>27930973
Jokes on you, im not having any kids. And securing oil is a noble cause. Oil is the blood of a nation, america is getting a mighty transfusion.
>>
>>27931006
That's why our debt has been raising exponentially with every democrat elected, excluding Regan. The huge amount of debt we acquired during bush, and 3 times as much during Obama, it's clearly working.
Keep up the good work, buddy. Your freedom is worth the destruction of our country, top quality ignorance.
It's not like you can't click literally any link on google and find a source that depicts our failing economy.
>>
>Finish ASVAB
>Mechanical: 40
>>
>>27931161
Dude.... how? I got a 98, IIRC, with zero studying.
>>
>>27931161
>>27931241
Yeah, how do you fuck this up? I'm with this guy, I dropped out of high school 6 years ago and got line scores of 130+ across the board. I got like a 95.

The percentile you score in is determined by the last month or 3 of reported scores.
>>
>>27930230

Here's my deal. I'd like to sign up 11b and serve. Most likely get in, do my time, get out.

I've smoked weed, probably like 10-20 times a year since college. I've done coke about 4 or 5 times, and dropped MDMA 4 times.

Now, there's no evidence, I've never been caught or anything. And like I said, I don't plan on even GOING for a top secret clearance job.

But if I get in, do well (and obviously I won't be doing drugs), decide to stay in and then go for a top secret clearance later, and tell them about that, am I screwed?

I'm 27, by the way.
>>
>>27931376

If you've never been arrested or convicted, there is no way they will ever find out unless you tell them, or someone else does. And you're not going to be using your drug buddies for references, right? Don't be an idiot.
>>
>>27931376
If your friends' friends tell, or your old neighbors, or anyone else slightly connected to you who knows or heard anything, you might fail your TS clearance. If you're comfortable that none of your references will say anything, you probably won't have any problems as an 11b for a 4-6 year contract.
>>
>>27930364
>people who work for the government are enforcers
Slow down their Ayn Rand, I'm pretty sure my mail delivery and garbage removal aren't part of some plot to keep me a docile little sheep.

>complains about blues and dems at the end
>apparently doesn't know that red states have an average IQ of double-digits
>>
3 year contract 35F here with option 4, I ship next month. I'm fucking pumped. Am I going to have time to fit extra workouts in during BT, or are my days going to be too full?
>>
>>27931552
>Am I going to have time to fit extra workouts in during BT
You will have to, in order to stay awake on firewatch.
>>
>>27928524
I sure bet your wife will appreciate that. Have fun ruining your marriage
>>
>>27931592
Sounds good. I'm assuming during AIT I'll have plenty of time too, right?

I'm close, but not quite to the point I need to be at to possibly qualify for RASP, so that's the big goal.
>>
>>27928220
Bump for this
>>
>>27929764
>You can join the US military if you have a green card
I thought you could join as a foreigner without a green card?
>>
>>27930920
Why not become an officer right away though
You still get to
>>travel, make friends, avoid whores, kill durkas, become interested in life
But you get more benefits as well
>>
>>27931417
>>27931421

But don't they polygraph you for top secret?
>>
>>27931680
Yes. Have you ever meditated? Or ever used "make myself believe the lie temporarily" tactic when you were a schoolkid being interrogated for something? Or slowing your heartrate on purpose?

Those are ways to keep yourself nice and neutral. But ultimately the poly is a tool to get morons to admit to things.
>>
>>27931724
>ultimately the poly is a tool to get morons to admit to things.

I'm a cop and this is a true statement.
>>
>>27931824
Would you be willing to say that during a polygraph, you lying whore?
>>
Welp boys just got back from meps and officially enlisted into the marine corps
>>
>>27931888
good for you. Nice trips
>>
>>27931888
Good for you. Follow the rules, accept the stress and monotony, and set up a savings plan (TSP?). Do your time, get out, go to free college, and reap the benefits.
>>
>>27929865
They're more like glasses that clip on the inside of the mask.

>>27930364
This bait is becoming on of my favorite parts of /meg/. It never fails to show up.

>>27930453
That's an expensive banana

>>27930703
Pretty much a tossup. If you want to be a woohoo kill brown people combat arms join marines. If you want something non combat arms do army.
>>
File: 10644830.png (148 KB, 682x720) Image search: [Google]
10644830.png
148 KB, 682x720
>>27930920
Is it possible to do time as an enlisted, get a degree with GI Bill, do ROTC while in school, and come back as an officer in the same field you were in before?
>>
>>27931617
At BT you will have very very little time. At AIT you will have time, which is to say, more than zero.

>>27931647
I could be wrong but I was pretty sure you needed a green card first
>>
>>27931668
Don't want to spend early 20s in a leftist shithole
>>27931960
Yes
>>
>>27931960
Why would you not just use ROTC to pay for college in the first place
>>
>>27931984
>spend early 20s in a leftist shithole
What do you mean
>>
>>27927057
Where are you attending OCS? State/city
>>
>>27929296
Shitpost of the day

10/10
>>
>>27929482
You're in college or High school? If you're in college and you're thinking about the NG good for you... but ROTC programs offered by the other branches is what I would go with, personally. Some ROTC's offer scholarships that will reimburse or cover your tuition upon graduation.
>>
>>27929868

Not how that works when it comes to a clearance.

>>27930790

That's a fuckload of energy to spend creating a web of lies when you can literally say "I did cocaine all the time, it was awesome" and still get a TS/SCI. They aren't the morality police, they're trying to see if you can be blackmailed because your dumb ass keeps a bunch of skeletons in their closet.
>>
>>27931552

During BCT, there's always time to do bodyweight exercises in the bay at night, but you aren't going to be running off to the track or gym and getting your personal PT time in.

During AIT, you can hit the gym/track every day if you want.

>>27931647

Nope, you have to be a "permanent resident alien" (IE a green card) to enlist, unless you enlist under a special skills program like MAVNI. The "oh, anyone can come to America, sign up for the Army, and be a citizen" thing is a complete myth unless you're a doctor or a specialized linguist.
>>
>>27931680
>>27931724

No, they don't fucking poly most military with a TS. It depends on where you work.

>>27931936
>Pretty much a tossup. If you want to be a woohoo kill brown people combat arms join marines. If you want something non combat arms do army.

Your daily reminder that if you actually want to fucking deploy and do combat arms things, the Army does it WAY more than the Marines do right now, since they have way more SOF.
>>
>>27932094
Ok so I've only done MDMA 4 times. Smoked weed.

If I just tell my recruiter outright, I'll be good? Trying to get an Opt 40 btw
>>
>>27931960

Possible? Yes. Likely? No. You don't get to just pick a branch. Plenty of former infantry dudes went to college, got their commission, begged for infantry, and got to be chem or signal officers because infantry O-type slots are competitive as fuck.
>>
I don't know shit about the military, what's the difference between enlisting and becoming an officer directly?
>>
>>27932126

Clearance application (SF86) is entirely separate from applying for the Army. Lying to the Army might get you discharged, lying on the SF86 is a felony. The Army doesn't send an investigator out to talk to people like the clearance folks do, but just for an Option 40 you wouldn't get investigated anyways.

Follow your recruiter's advice when it comes to what you should do at MEPS, but do not lie on your SF86.
>>
>>27932148

Enlisting: Usually only requires a HS diploma and an aptitude test. You pick your job, get trained for it, and do it. Lower pay, hands-on work, generally a shorter commitment.

Commissioning: Requires a college degree. You give them your preferences and you compete for jobs, but you may not get what you want. Management/leadership work as opposed to hands-on. Much better pay/quality of life. Generally a longer commitment.
>>
>>27932165
>hands-on-work
So it's the guys who enlist who get deployed and actually get to see some action while officers don't (or not as much)?
>>
>>27931991
College/University
Most places teach SJWesque education to kids now, in almost all courses
>>
>>27931936
If you liked that bait, you'll love this
http://www.usdebtclock.org/
or this
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/11/the-long-story-of-us-debt-from-1790-to-2011-in-1-little-chart/265185/

Is bait a meme in the military community? I would imagine that you're too stupid to consider most things, so excusing statements and facts are "bait" would probably keep you warm(with the soul of Lucifer) and complacent(with the tyranny you enforce) deep down in your heart.
>>
File: turbanator.jpg (104 KB, 650x367) Image search: [Google]
turbanator.jpg
104 KB, 650x367
Shitlord useless question, but what tactical watches would you guys recommend?
>>
>>27927084

I got arrested for like 8 misdemeanors and 6 months later the lifestyle poly was a breeze. All they ask is stuff like "do you have an addiction to alcohol, drugs, gambling, etc" or "would you ever sell a state secret, have you ever been contacted by a foreign government"

They're REALLY just checking to make sure you're not a drug addict, in crippling debt or a sperg like Manning.
>>
>>27932191
Rolex, but that costs more than you'll make working for the company by the time you're 45
>>
>>27932172

Depends on the job. Not all jobs work like infantry.

For instance, when it comes to a unit of programmers, the enlisted folks would do the programming and the O-types would be the office administrators/managers.

At O1/O2 there's a pretty substantial difference between what officers do in different branches. Infantry lieutenants will actually be going out with their platoon, signal lieutenants might actually be helping with signal equipment. But as officers move up the ranks, they move farther away from the hands-on work and spend more time at their desk. This is why O7+ are called "general" officers. They're so far away from the low-level work that they stop even belonging to a specific branch. They're generalist CEO-types that purely do high-level management.
>>
File: 1443496361935.jpg (123 KB, 550x516) Image search: [Google]
1443496361935.jpg
123 KB, 550x516
>>27928524

National Guard pilot senpai

mite b cool
>>
>>27932192

You didn't take a lifestyle poly, brah, you took a CI poly.

You would fucking know if you took a lifestyle poly.
>>
>>27932252
Ah, I see. So if I'm looking for hands-on work, actual training and deployment, should I just enlist even though I'll be graduating from college this year?
>>
>>27932262

Ah, I assume thats why they didn't ask all the weird sex questions I heard about.
>>
File: hatehatehate.jpg (61 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
hatehatehate.jpg
61 KB, 720x480
>>27929296
I'll just leave this here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK2rUVKKuKI
>>
>>27932200
And apart from Rolex
>>
>>27931936
I thought both the army and marines saw combat at roughly equal amounts, am I mistaken about this?
>>
>>27932107
>a complete myth
So unless I win the diversity lottery thing, I'm fucked?
>>
File: 1446884149029 (1).jpg (212 KB, 1200x925) Image search: [Google]
1446884149029 (1).jpg
212 KB, 1200x925
Is there any way to rush the process in Canadian reg force? I have multiple offers on the table with companies who will provide me with an electrical apprenticeship/ gas fitting apprenticeship or tin banging apprenticeship but I want mil. I just need to hurry things along because I'd I don't get accepted, I need to pick one of the above before the offer expires. I'm currently waiting for an aptitude test booking
>>
File: peasant_tears.jpg (55 KB, 1325x662) Image search: [Google]
peasant_tears.jpg
55 KB, 1325x662
>>27932200
"They got into a discussion of the idiocy of rolex watches and why does any man need a rolex watch? It just a symbol of terrible values etc etc. Well I think that's a little silly, this isnt a rolex, I could buy a six pack of rolexes for one of these. But so what?"

Pic related
>>
>>27926773
Well im going to MEPS on Tuesday.
>>
>>27926773
What a faggy quote

What is this, tumblr?
>>
>>27932191
G-shock. Cheap, it just works forever, replacement can be found anywhere in the world.
>>
>>27932342
Richard Mille

Starts at about $80k Iirc (maybe more)and goes up from there. Some special editions and one-offs are millions.
>>
>>27932264

Deployment? Unless you go SOF nobody is deploying right now. Even Rangers have slowed down lately.

Training? Everyone gets it, but it comes in different forms.

It all depends on what your goals are. There are a lot of times where it is absolutely the right choice to enlist with a degree, but there are a lot of times where you're giving up money, (a lot of it) quality of life, and respect in return for...getting to sweep the motor pool and get yelled at.

The main question is: Do you want to be an officer? If you do, just stop fucking around and commission. If you don't, then don't subject a bunch of enlisted folks to your halfhearted bullshit leadership because you're just in it for the money.

There are certainly way more enlisted dudes wishing they'd commissioned than vice versa.
>>
>>27932380

This, watches are not fashion statements or ways to demonstrate your class, they're tools. That means they should be durable, effective, but ultimately disposable.

If you dropped more than $100 on a watch that you're actually going to wear to work in the military, you're probably a tool.
>>
File: IMG_20151119_191113.jpg (121 KB, 2000x3555) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151119_191113.jpg
121 KB, 2000x3555
>>27932191
I use a baby G because I'm usually sticking my hands in tight spaces (giggidy) I tried to make the picture smaller than what it was so I don't know entirely what went on with it here.
>>
>>27932396
I have no idea what I want to do, that's why I'm asking. I just recently realized I wasn't fit for administrative and bureaucratic work and that I'd rather do something that involved physical effort. Got interested in the army for various reasons, among which the opportunity to travel. It's just that since I'm getting a degree (didn't pay for it, though), I don't know what I should do.
I don't care about money. I want to do something that allows me to learn actual skills and get hands-on, useful experience.

Also,
>Unless you go SOF
That involves going through the army first either way, doesn't it? Even though almost nobody makes it.
>>
>>27932429
Just resize in paint?

Jesus christ what did you do
>>
>FInished with AIT
>Final PT test is tomorrow
>Came to the Army 40 pounds over wieght, running a 23 minute two mile, not being able to do a single push up
>Now I run a 14:30, did 35 push ups on my last PT test and 60 sit ups.

I've trained hard everyday to improve. I had to work twice as hard as everyone to keep up. My commander gives people reenlistment codes that don't let you reenlist so if I fail tomorrow it's all over.
>>
>>27932448
I tried to do it all with the stock Android options and that's how it came out lol. I'll figure it out later.
>>
>>27932443

>I don't care about money. I want to do something that allows me to learn actual skills and get hands-on, useful experience.

This is an odd statement because when 99 % of people say "I want useful experience" they mean "I want useful experience...so I can go get money with it".

>That involves going through the army first either way, doesn't it?

Special Operations Forces (SOF) is a term for all sorts of various units and encompasses every branch. You're probably thinking Special Forces (SF) which is a specific organization of Army guys.

SOF is generally deploying even when regular line units aren't.
>>
>>27932482
No, I'm honest. I want useful experience because I just want to acquire versatility and skills. I guess it's irrational but that's how it is.

And yeah I mixed up SF and SOF. I was thinking about the Green Berets (and Delta) recruiting from the army.
>>
>>27932356
It's not a big deal, m80. They aren't going to scream at you. If you aren't afraid of needles and can cooperate, then you are set.

Also, make sure you pick at least 3 jobs that you want just in case the first job you want isn't available.
>>
>>27932509
You'd be far from the first college grad to pursue an enlisted SOF contract.

You'd also be far from the first college grad to fail out and end up at the 82nd desperately trying to drop an OCS packet and escape.
>>
File: image.jpg (416 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
416 KB, 1280x720
>>27926821
This.

Enlisted in wartime, actually deployed to the middle east to go to Iraq but Obeezy pulled the plug on combat ops while we were there, now Im finishing my last year in the peacetime. Feels bad mane
>>
>>27932356
>>27932547
My MEPS experience was actually quite nice. It was a nice hotel, food was okay. The actual people at MEPS were very nice, and were cracking jokes and shit, just making the envrionment much more comfortable.
>>
>>27930558

That's not how the burden of proof works, retard.
>>
Is 34 too old?
>>
>>27932563
truthfully, if you created a tumbler about guns, you could make /k/ be anti-gun.

I started my enlistment during peacetime and ended up getting deployed and stop-lossed more than once. The army can make pretty much anything, including war, seem routine.
>>
Is professional soldiering a thing if the past?
>>
>>27932570
The chief medical doctor was being a dickhead until the end of the group physical stuff.
>>
to answer a bunch of people in this thread, anything you have never been caught for, don't admit to, don't even bring it up. That shit is never gonna come up.
>>
>>27932573
No, faggot. Are you literally into common understand? If nobody thinks nothing, then someone thinks something, there is something. Have you been deprived of ideological conversation your entire life until this point? I i say that cats are stupid, cats are stupid at that point in time. If you think cats aren't stupid, tell me why and i'll believe you or not.

Until then, cats are fucking stupid, and so are military welfare cock slaves.
>>
>>27932617
If you want to join the Navy, you better sign the fuck up now.
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 200x200
>>27932658
Where'd you get deployed to? I got sent to Kuwait and we got told we were gonna do combat ops in Iraq, ended up turning around and doing field ops and ranges instead. I feel like those guys at the ending days of WWII, what am Igonna tell people you know?
>>
So Army is best branch?
>>
>>27932777
>sign up now

That goes for pretty much all the armed forces. With the current wars coming to an end, it will take us about eight years before we get the political will to ship out to the Middle East again.

In the meantime there will be massive cutbacks and draw downs. Enlistment bonuses will be cut and jobs will become more scarce. Officers' recruiting will become even more competitive and selective.
>>
>>27932805
I was deployed to Iraq three times and then once to Afghanistan. Most were comfy nothing-deployments, the other was a mess that ended up being part of the first Battle of Fallujah, which I shouldn't have even been involved in since I just fix trucks.
>>
>>27932820
None is better than any of the others. All are worthy of respect. Inter-service rivalries spur servicemen and women to excellence and are mostly friendly.

Most of the bullshittiest inter-service shit comes from civilians who "always wanted to serve but had a bum knee" or guys who were National Guard during peacetime.
>>
>>27932834
You've been in your eight year 'scale down' since Obama took office. You'll be involved overseas (or on the home front) soon enough.

It's prospective Canadian soldiers like me who need to be concerned, even though the military is getting in on the Trudeau spending spree apparantly.

I plan on enlisting over Christmas break. Will also attempt to apply to officer school if they have spaces.
>>
If you do a 4 year stint, how much will your high school grades matter if you apply afterwards? Assuming you're 18.
Have a 3.0 GPA, pretty shit, but just curious.
>>
>>27933052
>You've been in your eight year 'scale down' since Obama took office.

This is a myth. The defense budget has increased under Obama. He didn't actually do anything to end any wars except execute the plans that were created during the Bush administration.
>>
>>27933052
Waiting for my aptitude test date. Where/ what are you applying for ?
>>
>>27933120
Five aircraft carriers have been cut out of the fleet, but alright.
>>
>>27933203
oh god you actually believe that one?
>>
>>27933077

3.0 isn't too bad, but if you're college-bound you should get your start while you're in the military. Use CLEP/TA to get some gen ed knocked out at least. Then nobody will care about your HS GPA.
>>
>>27933236
Prove me wrong?
>>
>>27927084
Just be completely honest. That's literally the best advice. They don't care as long as you're honest. Unless you're a complete turd burglar. Then you got no chance.
>>
>>27933144
Just set on Army atm.
Haven't decided on any specific job/roles yet.

Recommendations?
>>
>>27933343
>asking someone to prove a negative.
wew lad

Why don't you provide a link or something instead of getting dragged down?
>>
>>27932740
We had one really tall black doctor who just seemed every unhappy the entire time.
>>
>>27933664
Guess I'm right :)
>>
Here's a concern of mine:

What happens if I get a non-prestigious (for lack of a better term) job?

What if I end up being a Marine librarian or something and I have to basically get shit for my "service" for the rest of my life?

>Hey, nice t-shirt, you were a Marine?
Yeah.
>Cool. Did you ever go to war?
No.
>No? What did you do in the Marines?
I managed a data entry office.
>Pfft, you weren't a Marine.

On the one hand, I could say, "fuck you, I did what my country asked of me and that was data entry, what did you do?" but on the other hand, it would still hit way too close to home.

It would be even worse among actual combat vets.

>Vet 1: I don't ever want to go back into the shit. I still have nightmares.
>Vet 2:I hear ya. I never left base on patrol, but I always felt nervous you grunts wouldn't come back.
>Vet 1: On-base was no treat, man. Constant mortar rounds, just waiting for one to hit the barracks or the fuel depot. Say, what did you do anon?

I was in the data entry division at Fort Fuckwit.

>Vets 1 and 2: I think you'd better leave. We're not mad. Just...maybe leave the t-shirt too. You probably shouldn't wear it around. People would get the wrong idea, get confused, you know?
>>
>>27927057
Yes, Federal Army OCS grad.
>>
>>27933733
Yup, you won an argument on the internet, with nothing to back up your argument at all, because such a thing is totally possible. Well-done. That's a first in history.
:^)
>>
>>27927084
Generally, only NSA-related billets require a polygraph, and even then it's a CI poly. Some MOS require CI poly. I've never seen a billet or MOS that requires a full scope.
>>
oth discharge

should i just join the french foreign legion?
>>
>>27933778
>should i just join the french foreign legion?

Don't bother with that. To be from the first-world and to get in the Legion, you have to be truly exceptional. They want guys from Africa and Eastern Europe who come from nothing.
>>
>>27931850
kek
>>
>>27933749
Good support troops are hard to find. Seriously a cook, admin, or mechanic who isn't a total piece of shit is valued and vaunted by people in the military.

You're going to get shit from other vets. Because everybody gives everybody shit. Don't be a pussy. Take your non-combat job and use it for some civilian job afterwards.

Whatever you do, just do it well and be proud of it. I respect the fuck out of support guys who are like "Fuck yeah, I'm admin! Look at me process this motherfucking TDY payment." The people I don't repsect are the ones who sidestep what they really did and puff their chests up. People like Marines who always describe themselves as "MOS/rifleman" are total choads.
>>
>>27933749
Be a Hosipital Corpsman instead and go FMF.
That way you don't have to be a "reel muhreen", you have a useful skill and training, and you can say you did some infantry shit WHILE being a medic.

Mad respect
>>
>>27933749
>>27933824

This is a real thing, though. I work for a company that hires a lot of veterans and the quote-unquote "real" combat veterans give the other guys shit. They've got a little hierarchy:
Guys who saw combat > Guys who were deployed into a warzone > Literally everyone else

The guy in the cube next to me was a drone operator and has over a thousand hours of mission time logged. He doesn't even tell the other guys that he served at all. I had to find out from his girlfriend.

That would be an awful thing to have what should be a proud accomplishment ruined by fuckwits, but they'll still ruin it for you.
>>
>>27933856
lol at real muhreens

I like to screw with my fellow veterans. It always seems to be the Marines, but they'll give me shit about the "Chair Force" for weeks before they actually get around to asking me what I did.
When I tell them I was a Combat Controller, their tunes change fucking quick, but by then I already know what their game is. To hell with them.
>>
>>27933880
>blowing up weddings: the video game
>proud accomplishment
good one anon
>>
>all these CF job open apps that weren't there a week ago
Should I panic and apply now?
I'm a good 3-5 months from being bootready.
>>
>>27933749
Well, anon, the odds of you being a hero are slim to nil. The odds of you even getting into bullets-flying combat are equally slim.

Each front-line unit has a dozen support units keeping it fed, keeping its vehicles fuelled, keeping its field hospitals stocked with Motrin and powder; and a vast network of logistics to move everything around and pay for it.

You'll be given a job, you'll do the job. You'll either stick with it or you'll finish your term and go back to the civilian world.

Stop overthinking it.
>>
What are some of the nicest bases you guys have been assigned to?
>>
>>27933942
>shitty reaction from someone who has never served
Yeah, that's part of the reason he keeps that shit to himself. Follow immoral orders and get shit for "playing a flight sim and equating it to being a real pilot."

Drone pilots have it shit.
>>
>>27933954

If you have a car, 29 is where its at.

Palm springs, Vegas, Lake Havasue. legit
>>
>>27933749

Boo hoo, comfort yourself by crying into the pile of money you earned by taking a job that transfers to the civilian world and then go have sex with your girlfriend with your completely working not-blown-off-by-an-IED dick. You know, the girlfriend you got by being a socially adjusted and non-mentally-fucked veteran?

"The other kids will laugh at me" is a shit reason to go to a combat job, especially in an environment where combat jobs are doing less mission shit than support jobs. At least the IT guy can say he did something useful instead of sweeping a clean floor for his entire enlistment.
>>
>tfw shit is heating up and stuck at a training command
I just wanna do my part
>>
>>27933749

I'm never bothered by douchevets in my civilian job. Know why? My enlisted job tracked right into a Master's degree and none of the douchevets have anywhere near the level of education to actually work here.

Don't work at Walmart and you will be fine.
>>
>>27933824
>"Fuck yeah, I'm admin! Look at me process this motherfucking TDY payment."

Marines! You see this stack of TPS reports? This stack of TPS reports is the fucking enemy! Your mission is to put a cover letter on each and every motherfucking one of these TPS reports, make copies and get them down to Susan in accounts receivable before 1500, because she's leaving early and has to pick up her kid from soccer.

Afterwards we will re-group at Chili's at 1800 for Happy Hour Appetizers. Sgt. Jones, we're going to need some advance recon to make sure they have enough tables, we don't want a repeat of what happened during Operation Happy Birthday!

Now let's get out there and hit our cubicles and fuck this stack of TPS reports in its fucking ass!!!!!

OOH-RAH!
>>
>>27934051
What was your enlisted job?
>>
>>27934069

Network security related stuff before it all got turned into cybercom. Had half a Bachelor's done coming in, finished it up during service, and got most of my way through my Master's via a combination of military training and tuition assistance. Left after six years and scored a great job. The netsec industry is crazy understaffed.
>>
>>27926773
Who here was in specialized forces?
Who here has tried BUDS or RASP?
>>
>>27929435
>Pretty sure it's law your employer pays your the difference if you dont make enough for minimum wage with tips.

This is true but it requires a lawyer to legally prove it, and someone who lives off of tips can't afford a lawyer. It's a sort of catch 22.
>>
>>27932457
I know that feel bro
>>
Currently army reserve 68W (Combat Medic)

Going to sign an 18X contract in the very near future (Army Special Forces)
>>
>>27933948
pls respond

Should I send out my online application ASAP and hope I'll be in good enough shape by the time responses, interviews and meds roll around?

Or should I hold off over Christmas in order to make more progress and hope these officer positions are still around come January?

The last thing I want is my application process outrunning my weightloss and gains.
>>
>>27933751
>>27932018

I'm thinking of applying for either the marines or the army, just wanted to hear experiences/what you had to do
>>
File: marine-emblem.png (436 KB, 585x600) Image search: [Google]
marine-emblem.png
436 KB, 585x600
I'm enlisting with a friend in 2017. We'll be starting our training regimen soon. Currently we're going for Marines, our desired MOS is infantry. Anyone got any tips about the ASVAB? And with the current political situation is it not wrong to at least think we have a good chance of deploying in the Middle East in the next 8 years?

Peacetime Marine corps will suck, hope we get to go to war.
>>
>>27926773

Who /NationalGuardOCSStartingInFebruary/ here?
>>
>>27932123
I would definitely not suggest, if your primary goal is to deploy, joining the Army on the off chance you will get into SF and THEN deploy often, rather than just joining the marines and having almost as high of a chance of deploying right off the bat.

>>27932177
>he said, having never been to college
So many people are kidding themselves out of getting an education because they think all colleges and brainwashing manufactorums of leftist propaganda. I've been in college for 2.5 years. You know they've been brainwashing me with? Fucking chemistry. You people act like you're going to go into a fucking chem lab and they're going to instead lecture you about why you should cut off your balls.
>>
>>27934574
Wartime deployments to Mexico and continental Europe are more likely than you think.

Contrary to popular belief, there are wars a brew'n that don't necessarily involve continental Asia. If anything, you two will probably be in the midst of a rush to recruitment, if not a little late.
>>
>>27934612
>Mexico

eh?
>>
>>27934574
>Anyone got any tips about the ASVAB?

Don't be stupid. It's easier than the SAT.
>>
>>27934593
You're in chem, which is STEM.
That other guy was dumb for claiming "all courses." I assuming he slipped and meant to say courses beyond STEM are propeghanda traps.
>>
>>27934623

>he doesn't know that the Mexican government is falling apart and has been steadily losing power to Cartels for years
>>
>>27934623
Gotta build the Great Wall of Trump somehow, m8.
>>
>>27934631
Oh then we'll be fine. SAT is no harder than the fucking retarded CAHSEE I took a few years ago.
>>
>>27932191
>tactical watch
>>
>>27934652

I took the ASVAB without any study and I got into OCS.

Of course, I took it my senior year of college, so it's not like I've been out of school or anything, and I scored in the 93rd percentile on the LSAT.
>>
>>27932310
They do in real wars like in the early 90s and the Iraqi invasion. During the war on terror most combat deployments were marines. The marines as a branch is pretty much entirely combat arms and direct support for combat arms so naturally they do tend to deploy the most.
>>
>>27934593
>the marines and having almost as high of a chance of deploying right off the bat.

Yeah, no, the Marines aren't deploying right now any more than regular Army line units are. Riding a Navy ship for a while isn't a combat deployment.
>>
>>27934672
Didn't want to go to law school?
>>
>>27934710

Didn't have the GPA for a Tier 1 school, wasn't worth it.
>>
>>27932457
Mate, even if you end up getting sent home, you've gotten yourself into pretty solid shape and that's something you can be proud of
>>
My current last name is long and hard as fuck to pronounce. Anybody know how much of a pain in the ass it is to get your last name changed while enlisted? My last name really just wont work. Not practical.
>>
>>27934749
They'll probably just shorthand it.
>>
>>27932708
Unless you're good enough to hold down a career as a SEAL, Raider, CCT, SF, etc. then yes it is a thing of the past.

>>27932820
Only if your single qualification for best branch is "has infantry and isnt the marines"

>>27933343
Are you that same dumbass from the carrier thread the other day who thought the entire US Navy was under threat of collapse or something

>>27933733
>ignoring the burden of proof to declare yourself correct
a classic blunder
>>
>>27934821
>then yes it is a thing of the past.
Does this apply to officers too?
>>
thinking about joining to fight terrorists

and im born on the 4th of july, so I feel like I have to, ya know?

I should finish college first right? I'm at a good state school with a 4.0 in Finance. I could use that but If I enlist, I dont want a fucking deskjob.

I make spreadsheets all day for work anyhow.

what do guys?
>>
>>27933965
They really do. You do your job, follow your orders, and if you tell anyone what you did during your service you get people all on your dick blaming you personally for every civilian accidentally killed by a drone, call you a wannabe pilot, etc. Next drone pilot I meet I'm buying a drink.
>>
>>27934046
>shit is heating up
It's actually cooling down, but ok
>>
>>27934908
Says who?

EU's about to implode and you're one bad election away from Civil War 2: Hillary's Boogaloo.
>>
File: machineGun.jpg (218 KB, 945x508) Image search: [Google]
machineGun.jpg
218 KB, 945x508
i hope wars a coming so i can enlist. id never join a peace time army. being sharpened to a fine point just so i can sit on my hands for 4 or however many years
>>
>>27934574
Even cursory studying for the ASVAB will get you a pretty good score. It's not hard.

But I would strongly recommend reconsidering your choices of branch or at least mos. Unless there is a major war going on right this second and you want to defend your country, don't join as infantry because "I hope I get to go to war"
>>
File: this is you.jpg (666 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
this is you.jpg
666 KB, 1280x1024
>>27933120
>The defense budget has increased under Obama.

It is no myth. If you look at that raw total it will look like it increased but that is only because you are retarded and aren't taking into account inflation. The facts are under Bush the military spent 6% of real GDP where as under Obama it is only 4%. Sequestration means that the growth of government spending is not enough to keep up with inflation which results in the military having a smaller and smaller slice of government expenditure. Ergo, the defense budget HAS indeed decreased by all rational measurements.

>>27933120
>He didn't actually do anything to end any wars except execute the plans that were created during the Bush administration.

Bush had agreements and funding to keep forces in country to a certain date past his presidency. Since he was leaving office he could not do anything further than that. Obama did NOTHING to try and keep troops there longer. I know this will be difficult for your pea sized brain to comprehend, but doing nothing is doing something. So you are retarded for trying to blame the draw down and withdrawal of troops on Bush when he had been out of office for YEARS at that point. To imply that Bush intended for troops to be withdrawn when Obongo allowed them to is completely asinine. The irrational extent to which you have gone to defend BO from any responsibility rivals that of muslims defending ISIS. Please kill yourself.
>>
>>27934635
I've taken an anthropology class and 2 philosophy classes. In anthropology, in which I was excited to finally see the mythical overweight blue-haired professor lecture me about sexuality, a completely normal woman taught us about the histories and customs of various cultures. Both of my philosophy classes focused almost entirely on critical thinking. Unless you're at an art school explicitly focused on gender studies n shit, this is 100% a myth perpetuated by anti-intellectuals on the internet.
>>
>>27934863
what MOS to kill pakis?
>>
>>27934612
What? You're gonna need to explain your reasoning for mexico and europe

>>27934708
That's because nobody is deploying anywhere right now
>>
>>27934984
>this is 100% a myth perpetuated by anti-intellectuals on the internet.

Unfortunately it is not. You probably just didn't go to a good university.
>>
>>27934847
Being a career officer is still totally possible, if that's your thing. I'll probably become an officer because Navy nuke is the only enlisted position that really interests me and I don't really want to be driven to suicide if I can avoid it. However, I'm not really into the whole management thing. I don't think you generally progress beyond O-3 in your first contract, right? I would be prepared to turn down a promotion in order to stay closer to the men.

Sorry, most of that wasn't even relevant to your question. The answer is yes.
>>
>>27935015
Fuck, I meant the answer is no. It IS viable to be a career officer.
>>
>>27934863
Finish college first. If you really want to fight terrorists, going into intel (which might be somewhat suiting to your education, at least moreso than most other jobs) or being a drone pilot would be the ways to actually have an impact. As infantry you are not very likely to ever even see combat against terrorists.

>>27934922
Oh, you're one of those people. You think there will be a civil war over the election and that the EU is going to collapse because immigrants. Hillary doesn't even have a chance of winning.
>>
>>27934932
>sharpened to a fine point
Going from civilian to infantry is more like being sharpened from a tree trunk into a slightly tapered tree trunk. And you do realize that the majority of the military is non-combat roles, right?
>>
>>27935000
My university gets millions of bennies from walmart and tyson and has a world class robotics program. I think you meant to say "shitty university," but I don't go to one.
>>
>>27935040
>ever even see combat against terrorists.
fuck.

why the FUCK would I join the army then.

I mean serious. Why make a career out of that shit, get in, fuck some shit up, get out.

boom

thats it
>>
>>27935085
Well you'll definitely fit in with that retarded ass attitude.
>>
>>27935121

I dont see you joining up bitch nigga

why dont you do something for once in your life
>>
>>27935135
I'm shipping to Parris Island at the end of April, nice try though.
>>
>>27935054

yes, but you get to choose your mos. if it was a path i chose to go down i would take it very seriously
>>
>>27935015
>I don't think you generally progress beyond O-3 in your first contract, right?

Officers don't have contracts.

>>27935015
>I would be prepared to turn down a promotion in order to stay closer to the men.

This is not a thing that actually happens.
>>
>>27934973
>Sequestration means that the growth of government spending is not enough to keep up with inflation which results in the military having a smaller and smaller slice of government expenditure. Ergo, the defense budget HAS indeed decreased by all rational measurements.

Sequestration was whose idea again?

Also, please remind me: whose responsibility is it to write and approve budgets?
>>
>>27934497
Not sure what you're asking. OCS is just 12 weeks of hazing and has no actual training benefit, if that's what you're looking for.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.