[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fun Idea or Stupid Idea
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: 2 hours MS paint.png (900 KB, 2044x1052) Image search: [Google]
2 hours MS paint.png
900 KB, 2044x1052
So my friend and I just purchased a pair of black powder revolvers for having fun out in the desert. While looking into some of the ball casting equipment online I had an idea, what if you used these molds to cast balls out of rubber or silicone instead of lead and then used an extremely reduced powder load, we'd probably have to do some tests to find the right load size, to fire them? It could be like paintball with revolvers, or it could end up with someone missing an eye.

What do you think /k/? Fun idea or really really stupid and dangerous idea?
>>
>>27923176
Stupid
light shot + light load = squib hell
>>
>>27923176
Like nonlethal rubber bullets? Go for it. Report back when you've broken a rib.
>>
It could maybe be as safe as paintball if a low density projectile is used. You'd need a high speed camera to get everything just right. But why bother when clean shooting paintball markers require much less maintenance?
>>
>>27923212
>squib hell
I have no idea what this means.

Also in case anyone was interested I was doing some calculations and if you switched from buying precast .451 balls to casting your own and you could get lead at close to bulk prices, discounting electric costs to run the furnace you would save 13.57 cents per ball.

Taking into account the cheapest lead furnace I could find on Amazon and the cost of the mold, release agent, ladle and other items you would need to cast 529 balls by hand, two at a time to break even.
>>
>>27923288
It means if you fuck up your loads and they're too light the ball will stop before it leaves the barrel. Not sure if this is less of a problem with BP if you pack your shots well.
>>
>>27923326
>ball will stop before it leaves the barrel
Ah yeah, makes sense.
>>
that's really dumb and I used to do something very similar.
all we did was load blanks and just it wad it to keep the powder in place then do cowboy shootouts and mexican standoffs.
that said if you're loading any kind of projectile it'll either be dangerous, too soft to be fired and get all gunked inside your gun or if the powder isn't powerful enough to launch it out it'll become stuck there.
>>
>>27923288
You can build a furnace for less than 50. Less than that if you have any kind of scrap shit you use to build it with.
>>
>>27923176
Have you actually played paintball? Shit hurts and will make you want to quit and play Counter-Strike instead. You'll need an expensive high speed camera to thoroughly test things so you don't die. Just get a couple cheap paintball markers.
>>
>>27923176
Use a sabot.
>>
>>27923176
SABOT
A
B
O
T
>>
>>27923326
Are you fucking stupid? people make indoor practice rounds out of nothing but hotglue and primers. Stop spouting shit without knowing what the hell you're on about.

>>27923176
That is similar to the idea of wax bullet dueling, was even an Olympic sport at one time.
>>
if you want to shoot at your friends like a jackass then just get airshit.
>>
File: 1908_Olympics_wax_duel_portrait.png (125 KB, 790x236) Image search: [Google]
1908_Olympics_wax_duel_portrait.png
125 KB, 790x236
>>27923391
forgot pic
>>
>>27923365
>build a furnace for less than 50
The cheapest one I found on Amazon is $29 with free shipping.
>>
>>27923405
Well, fuck you too. Didn't know they were that cheap. I looked into it for Aluminum and shit, cost a little more.
>>
>>27923415
Yeah Aluminum has a much higher melting point than lead, about 600 degrees f. That's probably why they would cost more.
>>
>>27923405
I just spent a couple minutes looking and was unable to find one. Could I get a source on that?
>>
>>27923492
3rd result m8 http://www.amazon.com/Lee-90021-Precision-Melter-Grey/dp/B00162UONY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1447894566&sr=8-3&keywords=lead+furnace

Though it is a dipper style furnace so a lot more bother.
>>
>>27923528
Well I am an idiot. I found the same one for $50 and then took a minute to realize that I was looking on amazon.ca while you guys are on amazon.com
Everything costs more in Canada.
>>
>>27923544
Except slav and chink shit.
>>
>>27923404
oh my god...
I need to see this happen. What would it take to bring that back?
>>
>>27923288
If you don't know what a squib is it may be a good idea to stay away from doing anything 'custom' to your guns or ammunition until you are over the age of 21
>>
>>27923288
>wants to fuck around with custom ammo and light loads
>doesn't even know what a squib is

How about you educate yourself before attempting shit like that?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PU4-v433Of0
>>
>>27923176
Sure, if you are into squibs, exploded barrels and broken ribs.
>>
>>27924651
You mean as a sport like HEMA or as an actual Olympic sport?

Because it kind of evolved to paintball and airsoft and the Olympics are run by no fun allowed faggots that don't believe tug-of-war is a 'real' sport
>>
File: 1418038950157.jpg (214 KB, 599x449) Image search: [Google]
1418038950157.jpg
214 KB, 599x449
>>27928231
I'm not him, but either-or. There's a difference between being a airsoft guy and having to deal with kids and taking a real, functional badass black powder revolver loaded with wax slugs and having an old-fashioned pistol duel with it. That's way more appealing to me.
>>
>>27928278
I would recommend making it in a special snow flake caliber to reduce risk of shooting someone for realsies but I would not want to be the manufacture of those things because it is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Oddly enough I can't seem to find official specs on the Olympic shooting and apparently it was just shooting at a dummy and not 1v1, which is understandable but lame.
>>
File: 1407291465715.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1325) Image search: [Google]
1407291465715.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1325
>>27928376
Really? I mean, that makes sense, but then that makes me wonder if the picture in >>27923404
was even real.

Maybe the facemask, but why go to the trouble of putting a fucking handguard on the pistol if they were just worried about shrapnel from the dummy? Matter of fact, if this is true they actually moved up to using real ammunition during the Olympic shooting sports.
>>
>>27928390
I think the sport was real in that people fucked around in real life but the Olympics decided to not have people shooting each other in their official games.
>>
>>27923176
Just use wax. Cheaper, safer, and easier to work with.
>>
>>27928390
The best fencers used to have duels over judge's decisions.
>>
>>27928435
A touch of hot glue mixed in will give it a good firmness.

It would be safer than subsonic .22s and flack jackets. I miss childhood in the boonies there was always a redneck with a good idea to witness. City folk are so tame, most grow old but tame.
>>
>>27929673
I hear you, remember hanging out with some friends when they were clearing a patch of woods and watching in horror as they shot at each other with crayon bullets out of old .32 saturday night specials by the camp fire.

Granted it was primer only loads and they spray painted the shells orange but I noped the fuck out of there at that moment.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.