[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello k/ , i was thinking about plates and an idea that seemed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: thing.jpg (36 KB, 278x270) Image search: [Google]
thing.jpg
36 KB, 278x270
Hello k/ , i was thinking about plates and an idea that seemed pretty bright crossed my mind. i still can't find why it's a dumb idea so i'm asking you:

what about "scales" of ceramics or steel tied together with kevlar i guess a bit like in pic related ?
>>
>>27922360
dragon skin did it and fail next thread.
>>
>>27922377
This. Bin dun befo
>>
>>27922377
They did it with Kevlar
>>
>>27922383
>The discs are composed of silicon carbide ceramic matrices and laminates, much like the larger ceramic plates in other types of bullet resistant vests.
plz stop retardation starting with u
>>
>>27922383
they did it with lighter materials because if you did it with small plates you would make a fucking heavy POS

the overlap would mean carrying almost twice as much armor
>>
>>27922402
Well fuck me in the ass and call me Sally, I stand corrected
>>
>>27922377

Dragon skin failed because it wasn't put together solid enough. It's a good idea.

>>27922360

The concept has two major flaws- weight and hindrance of mobility. Both of which increase your chance of being hit in a firefight.
>>
>>27922417
>It's a good idea
That's why no one followed up on it and discarded it entirely as a gimmick.
>>
>>27922377
Dragon skin was a scam. The build quality was comically nonexistent. They used a glue that breaks down at 110°f. For armor which was supposed to be used in the Mesopotamian desert!

If a company did it right it might have some useful application. The weight issue would be a major hurdle and materials selection will need to be better than perfect. It will probably never happen because graphene will make projectile weapons obsolete soon, anyway.
>>
>>27922377
Bin dun befo
>>
>>27922360
Few big plates protect better than many small plates.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.