[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gunshots / bomb fragments wounds first aid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10
Well, after the recent events in Paris, we've seen some threads about getting firearms and carrying them in France.
Although being a french gun owner, I think that the utility of carrying a firearms is overrated and I'd like to talk about first aid, a thing that was too much dismissed in my opinion.
>>
File: 12-garrot-boucle3-PSE1.gif (42 KB, 287x213) Image search: [Google]
12-garrot-boucle3-PSE1.gif
42 KB, 287x213
I was trained in first aid, being a volunteer firefighter for 5 years, but I haven't recycled myself for 3 years now.
I remember the most important stuff, but I lack a good list of thing to put in a first-aid kit.
>>
>>27920624
Warm blanket
Gauze
More gauze with cotton patches (eyes, punctures)
Topical anti-septic
Good bedside manner
>>
File: s2850.jpg (54 KB, 690x443) Image search: [Google]
s2850.jpg
54 KB, 690x443
All I can think of now is :
-1 or 2 emergency hemostatic pillows (see first pic)
-3 to 4 tourniquets
-some pair of vinyl gloves
-a pair of fucking good medical scissors

What am I missing ?
Keep in mind that I'm thinking in a first reponder mind and that I should be able to carry the stuff on me like an EDC.
>>
>>27920624
Can you put pressure on the big red hole while keeping the person calm? Make sure you put the gauze over that.

A fireman carry is useful with no broken bones. If someone has broken bones, and you don't have a stretcher present you would be better off dragging them by the shoulders. Or not moving them at all if you don't have to.

CPR can be learned in a weekend Red Cross course. Or online, considering the latest iteration of CPR doesn't teach rescue breathing anymore-- only chest compressions. When you do CPR to someone you will hear cracks and snaps, because you can possibly break ribs but that is the type of pressure needed for effective chest compressions.

Congratulations, you can into first aid for something like that. If you want to learn how to use decomp needles, chest seals,, IVs, and apply tourniquets correctly sign up for an EMT program at your local community college, because those are things I do not want average Joe doing to me and fucking up, and this is not the website to learn about their proper implementation.
>>
Are we talking on-scene, first responder trauma care or hospital-setting emergency room care? One is super simple but easy to overthink, and the other a hospital with dedicated trauma response teams and a lot of supplies on hand.
>>
>>27920624
If you have a gun, you won't need first aid.
>>
>>27920701
>easily torn, one-size-fits-nobody vinyl gloves
>not the heavy-mil black nitrile gloves (don't necessarily have to be black, but normally the black ones are the thickest readily available ones and are actually sized for men instead of women+ET fingers)
>>
File: 1447172757543.gif (1 MB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1447172757543.gif
1 MB, 720x480
>>27920709
>Or online, considering the latest iteration of CPR doesn't teach rescue breathing anymore-- only chest compressions.

Don't worry about this by the way OP, they literally change this bullshit every other week, I've stuck to 2 and 20 like I originally learned, and they've gone away and back to it multiple times.

>2 breaths and 20 reps
>1 breath and 30 reps
>3 breaths and 40 reps
>2 reps and 30 reps
>no breaths, all reps
>30 breaths, 10 reps with your feet
Make it stop
>>
>>27920681

A warm blanket could be nice but how am I going to choose the person I'm giving it to ?
If I take too many space blankets I'll lose space to carry more bleeding-stopping material.

Antiseptic (like betadine) might be a nice plus, because saving people to have them amputated because of infection isn't really fun.
>>
>>27920701
3 or 4 tourniquets? Nigga, carry 2 at most. Unless you have (and are willing to carry) a full-fledged medic bag your ONLY priority is your own wounds. And if you're fucked bad enough to need a tourniquet on all 4 limbs you're too fucked to apply any of them yourself.
>>
File: 1419799735310.jpg (2 MB, 1168x3437) Image search: [Google]
1419799735310.jpg
2 MB, 1168x3437
>>27920719
Don't get cocky. Both are important.

>>27920624
Have some Milo. First aid kits first.
>>
>>27920755
Blanket is if you have your vehicle nearby, or you carry a backpack a lot. Shock victims really appreciate it.

And what >>27920747
said, get some GOOD gloves.
>>
File: 1419801437357.png (469 KB, 1284x2076) Image search: [Google]
1419801437357.png
469 KB, 1284x2076
>>27920759
GSW
>>
>>27920749
Don't forget the like 1 year where it was
>every place you could conceivably get hurt has a bajillion AED's hanging on the wall, we're only gonna teach you how to read the instructions that are printed on the AED in big red letters in 12 languages!
>>
File: 1419800579333.jpg (2 MB, 1715x1754) Image search: [Google]
1419800579333.jpg
2 MB, 1715x1754
>>27920773
Blast injuries
>>
File: 1419799992371.png (451 KB, 1006x2165) Image search: [Google]
1419799992371.png
451 KB, 1006x2165
>>27920780
Cuts
>>
File: 1419800477348.jpg (2 MB, 1919x2132) Image search: [Google]
1419800477348.jpg
2 MB, 1919x2132
>>27920787
BFT
>>
File: 1419800726504.jpg (2 MB, 1299x2100) Image search: [Google]
1419800726504.jpg
2 MB, 1299x2100
>>27920793
And burns
>>
>>27920749
You are correct. Honestly, whichever one you do is better than nothing (assuming it is done correctly)

I think the no breathing-CPR is an attempt to make it palletable to the average normie-- and if I found myself without a CPR mask and someone with alot/any blood in the mouth area that's probably what I would do desu senpai... Gonna rely on the Red Cross thinking there is enough diffused oxygen in blood in circulation than getting AIDS or other serious bloodborne diseases.
>>
>>27920717

First responder trauma care, on scene, before organized service are on site.

>>27920749

I've seen it change 3 times during my 5 years activity, but I remember 30 / 2.
And CPR might be the last thing I have to do in a terror attack scenario, because when people around are emptying themselves of their blood faster than an US-made Chauchat can jam, you consider that a person without heart pulse is dead.

>>27920709

I have the formation but I'm lacking the tools when I'm not in an ambulance.
>>
>>27920806
There's logic behind it.
>no breathing for ~5 minutes might lead to minor brain damage
>no heart beat for 1 minute leads to guaranteed brain damage

>no breathing for 7 minutes leads to guaranteed moderate/severe brain damage and a small chance of death
>no heart beat for 3 minutes is guaranteed death

You've got a shitload more time on breathing than you do heartbeat.
>>
>>27920822
>I have the formation...

I don't know what this means but I assume it was something along the lines of having the knowledge to use tourniquets and other devices I mentioned, but not when not in an ambulance?

If you have the knowledge, then do whatever you can with a small but we'll equipped first aid kit while waiting for EMS. It isnt reasonable or practical to carry a full triage kit with you everywhere you go.
>>
>>27920822
>I've seen it change 3 times during my 5 years activity,
No, you haven't.
AHA updates their procedures ONCE every FIVE years.
Current guidelines are 30:2:5 for adults with CAB.
>Source: EMT/ Half way through Paramedic school
>>
>>27920709
>decomp needles, chest seals,, IVs, and apply tourniquets correctly sign up for an EMT program at your local community college

Chest decomp and IV therapy are Paramedic skills, not EMT skills. Chest seals are learned in one lab day, as are tourniquets.
>>
In consideration to OP's thread title/post we need to consider the most common injuries sustained from each mechanism of injury. OP stated he was concerned with both gunshot and blast.

Keep in mind that unless you are an EMT with an ambulance or are a surgeon and can pull a fully staffed and supplied trauma surgery center out of your ass, your job is to keep the patient alive until transport. With this knowledge, the list of supplies you need on hand just shorten considerably. This isn't the Hurtgen Forest 1944, this is in the city/town/suburbs with relatively close emergency services and hospitals.

With blasts/explosions, your 3 main types of injuries sustained are concussive, amputation, and penetration (shrapnel).
Concussive blast injuries are mostly internal; the sudden increase in pressure due to the explosion can/will damage/rupture internal organs. Hollow organs tend to damage at lower pressures compared to solid organs. Unless you are the surgeon with the ass-based trauma center, there is very little you can do about concussive blast injuries, other than wait for patient extraction.
Amputation is limbs be missing. Civilian medicine, last time I checked, taught to use tourniquet last, which is bullshit. Granted arteries can auto-occlude with traumatic injury, but don't take the chance. You can die of exsanguination in under 2 minutes from a femoral artery bleed. Can't save someone with no blood in them.
Penetration injuries fall under gunshot wounds as well. Gunshot wounds are penetrating injuries. This get's tricky since trauma care will differ depending on location injured. Care for a gunshot wound to the thigh is treated differently than a gunshot wound to the face.

Will continue on second rant (1/2)
>>
>>27920880
>source: autistic crybaby getting buttblasted over literally nothing

CPR has changed alot, sometimes by a good margin, sometimes to new ways, sometimes back to old ways in a relatively short period of time. Do you agree? Then shut the fuck up. Do you disagree? You should be less moronic, and still shut the fuck up.
>>
>>27920915
The American Heart Association is what the entire DOT/NHTSA/EMS departments use. If you don't fucking like it, that's your own fucking fault. What AHA says is law. If you don't follow AHA, you need your license revoked.

TLDR; Cry more that I called out bullshit
>>
>>27920896
Wow its almost like you couldn't figure out I was telling OP they weren't something everyone should be doing while applying babbys first first aid just because they bought medical gear they didn't know how to use

I'll remember to be a pedant next time I post, just like you
>>
>>27920936
Look at that an EMT who loses his shit over an internet message board over nothing. I hope you aren't on the truck that comes when I call
>>
>>27920942
Not my fault you made a mistake. I just corrected it.

>>27920953
I'm not losing my shit lol. I know you're wrong and your response was pathetic.
and I quote: ">source: autistic crybaby getting buttblasted over literally nothing"
>>
>>27920911
(2/2)
This covers it all for gunshot wounds >>27920773

So what do you need in a first aid kit? Your three best friends are:

-Rolled Gauze (not gauze pads)
-Elastic wrap/bandage (think ace wrap)
-tourniquet

Tourniquet is self explanatory. Find out proper procedure for tourniquet use, trying to cover its use and reasons why in one post will probably do more harm than good.

Rolled gauze and ace wrap go hand in hand. Why? Gauze in itself does not stop bleeding, pressure does. Wounds need to be packed with gauze until there is enough pressure on the wounds to stop the bleeding. Once there's enough there, wrap it tight (but not too tight if it's an extremity or you've just made a tourniquet) to keep pressure on the wound. Guess what? Ace wrap and rolled gauze have multiple uses too! Why have many different things that do only one job when you can have a lot of a few things that do many jobs?

If it isn't obvious, this is more for "I got shot and my left foot is on the other side of the street" emergency trauma, not "I cut myself ow kiss my booboo because I'm a weak liberal college pussy". Am I missing something? most definitely, but unless you are an EMT/Corpsman/Medic/Doctor/Surgeon, your job is to do your best to keep the patient alive until said person comes by and takes over, since it is their job and they have the training.
>>
>>27920936
brb I'll go tell my uncle to kill himself because the guys who gave him 20 and 2 did it wrong
>>
>>27921093
Would be a shame if he died because they did 20:2. That's the whole point of continuing education; things get better over time.
>>
>>27920868

I have the knowledge but you can't use something you don't have at the moment. I want to design a little kit to carry everyhwhere, to save my life (good luck putting a tourniquet on yourself) and maybe other's too.

>>27920880

First 30/2, then 15/2, then back to 30/2. I'm French and I don't know if we follow AHA's recommendations.

>>27920911
>>27921027

Thanks for the input.
As I tried to explain before, I've been trained to be a firefighter and in France, firefighters also do most of the EMT job. From what I understand, we are not trained / allowed to do some things EMT in the USA can do but most of the time we can take care of victims without a nurse or a surgeon help.

The "emergency hemostatic pillow" is like a combined gauze and elastic wrap (with a sponge too), I used it as a firefigther-EMT, but as you said, rolled gauze + elastic wrap can be more versatile.

Do someone knows a good brand / model of vinyl gloves ? The kind we were issued were crappy (either too small to fit or too big and you can't do anything with it).
Since it's more to protect myself from other's blood, I could use Latex gloves but like for the vinyls ones, I don't know any good brand.
>>
>>27920759
Saved all
>>
>>27920709
Regardless of any potential danger It should be common practice for people to be taught CPR. My mother resuscitated someone with what she picked up from my cub-scout meetings and from that day on I've known its necessity.
>>
>>27920749
>30 breaths, 10 reps, with your feet

My nigga...
>>
>>27920825
If either one fails, one will follow soon enough.
>>
A good first aid kit should have benadryl.
>>
>>27920758
Truly a fallout 3 esque scenario
>>
>>27922057
In burger land we call the
>emergency hemostatic pillow
an Israeli dressing.
>>
>>27922057
Find someone who works in a hospital or does a medical training, brands probably differ country to country
>>
>>27922677

>Israeli dressing

Funny, I've heard people in France call them "pansements américains" (American dressing).

>>27922722

I'll go ask my friends working as nurse or similar things if they can give me pairs of gloves to try out and find a good one.
Maybe I should ask in a paramedical furnitures shop.
>>
>>27920701

A gun.
>>
>>27922057
You will most likely have access to different brands than here in America. If you have access to a medical supply store that services hospitals or first responders, pretty much everything they carry will at least be decent.

Look for nitrile gloves. They're hypoallergenic (unlike latex), more puncture resistant than both latex and vinyl, and powder-free. They're also available in a variety of thickness, with the super-thin ones designed for surgeons who need extra dexterity but have little risk of puncture and a lower risk of contracting bloodborne pathogens (IE, not emergency room work where the patient's got a well-filled-out known medical history and/or has already been scanned) and the super-thick ones designed for first responders that have an extremely high incidental cut risk and are dealing with patients with unknown histories or confirmed contagions.
>the black nitrile gloves available in America were originally marketed as disposable mechanic's gloves due to the puncture/abrasion resistance despite being made by the same company on the same line as hospital gloves
>>
Take a first aid class first then get the medical shit makes no sense to have it and not know how to use it properly.
>>
>>27920880
The fuck is the 5?
I get the 30 compression/2 vent ratio but I'm puzzled as to the five.
(EMTfag by the way)
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.