[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this really the best gun lube?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9
File: 10069918_mob_98ku79_pri_larg.jpg (25 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
10069918_mob_98ku79_pri_larg.jpg
25 KB, 450x450
Is this really the best gun lube?
>>
It's alright.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101/
>>
no
too many impurities, leaves shit behind
>>
>>27916775
Trying it now myself and I'd say so. Seems to do a good job and I lubed up both handguns + my AR with like 10 q tips total. This shit should last for years on one bottle.
>>
File: cleanfire.png (185 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
cleanfire.png
185 KB, 450x450
>>27916775
no. this is.
>>
>>27916796
For that sweet fungus smell.
>>
>>27916775
Yes. I use it.

Gun "oil" is essential the same shit and at a marked up price.
>>
>>27916775

The only thing wrong with it is that it will end up running off of your gun while it's not in use. I use white lithium grease on all of my guns and have a few gallons of ballistol to last me a lifetime.

Grease is there to make sure the guns are still just as lubricated as when I left them and the ballistol is to make sure I can keep them running when they get filthy.
>>
>>27916796
They spelled fireclean wrong
>>
File: 1354383245522.jpg (141 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1354383245522.jpg
141 KB, 600x450
>>27916775
just use whatever honestly don't buy gun specific stuff unless you are autistic
>>
>>27916775
Slip2000
>>
>>27916775
Guns really don't put that much stress on parts and don't demand the best kind of lubricant ever conceived, unless it's a piece of shit AR princessgun then lube is actually quite important. Yes you can use motor oil for almost anything (except GAY-R) and it'll run fine. I would only use that as a makeshift since it'll leak out, there's other good cheap options out there like wheel bearing grease.
>>
What oil weight is best for guns? Just the lightest you can find?

Also, why would you use synthetic oil? You're going to be cleaning it fairly often, so regular oil should be fine.
>>
File: mobil1grease.jpg (88 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
mobil1grease.jpg
88 KB, 640x480
>>27916775
No, this is
>>
>>27916782
This more or less sums up what I've found.
Personally, I'm more of a fan of grease since it doesn't migrate since I've the action of a gum up with 5w30

Though, I use FrogLube brand Hulk jizz because my roommate is anal enough to buy me non-toxic lube/cleaner so his nosey ass dog doesn't die. Jizz is shit for cleaning a barrel but its good for everything else, probably the best rust preventative out there.
>>
File: IMG_0102_full.jpg (528 KB, 814x1000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0102_full.jpg
528 KB, 814x1000
>>
>>27916775
my friend keeps buying that nanolube shit($30 for a tiny bottle) my guess is that its a scam.
anyone heard of it?it uses tiny diamonds
>>
I just use Hoppes lube.

Who the fuck puts motor oil in their guns?
>>
>>27918305
Why would you intentionally make a lube grittier by putting diamonds into it?
That's just fucking retarded.
>>
>>27918305
tiny diamonds? thats fucking retarded and you're fucking retarded
>>
I use belray grease and car oil (full synth 0w-40) because that's what I have. Belray is an aluminum based grease that is supposedly better than lithium based. You should have a layer of grease on most the parts and have an oil dropper to keep it 'wet' during the usual usage.
>>
>>27918312
Does he maybe mean graphite?
>>
>>27918237
Yup.

Grease the sliding parts. Oil the rotating parts. Mix up some Ed's Red to clean with. (One gallon <$20.00, rapes carbon, open source with attribution)

Can post recipe if interest.
>>
>>27918305

Diamonds are an industrial abrasive. Why? Just, why?

If troll, 7/10 here's your >>27918305(you)
>>
>>27918348
Since Dexron-II/IIE and Dexron-III isn't made anymore, what kind of ATF do you have to use now?
>>
>>27918403
Dexron III ATF's are still produced. Otherwise you probably also can use Dexron III+, IV or VI or Mercon V, LP, SP.

Producers would be Shell, Mobile, Motul, Lube1, Mopar, Texaco, Castrol, Eurol, Addinol... Avoid Liqui Moly. Heat resistance sucks, and it contains ungodly amounts of toxic waste products (chemical industry gets rid of its trash this way).
>>
>>27918584
No one claims Ed's Red is non toxic. That's why he includes a hazard statement, cas numbers, and an abbreviated MSDS in the recipe.

Guns are toxic too. I wash thoroughly after cleaning my guns because lead. I avoid babies and pets when I'm around or just shot or cleaned guns for the same reason.

Use some sense. This isn't a church social so perhaps you should expect to encounter a potential carcinogen here or there.

I use grease, automotive lubricants, sweets or hoppes copper solvent, and Ed's Red because they just work.
>>
>>27918584
Would Dex/Merc work? I have some that says to use for where Dexron III is required.
>>
>>27918666
>>27918584
Oops, I'm a faggot. I reread your post and saw the avoid part. My first read I thought you were panning the use of transmission fluid in the Ed's Red recipe. Mea culpa.
>>
>>27918669
In all likelihood, yes. The primary use for the ATF in this recipe is the lubricity it provides and the detergents it brings to the party. Any modern ATF will probably do.

The only issue I can think of, and it's unlikely, is the possibility of some detergent harming the finish on a non metal part of a firearm. Since Ed's Red has acetone, I avoid getting it on polymer and wood anyway. YMMV.
>>
>>27918345
if it is dry graphite lube, that's a fuckin ripoff. my buddy has a huge can (bigger than a can of WD40) he got for like 12 bucks.
>>
>>27916775
>mfw idiots use motor oil in guns, and are surprised when they develop lung issues.
>>
No, petro based lube does not have long term water protection as oil floats on water.

Its lube properties come second to its cooling properties which a gun doesn't make use of

Its friction loss isn't even impressive to a good majority of alternatives
>>
>>27918808
Then what do you use, mr. Pulmonologist?
>>
>>27918310
>>27918312
>>27918358
heres the shit, found it
not trolling
the guy sells it at gun shows near me
and my buddy eats it up
http://www.diamondlube.com/services.html
>>
>>27918837
Fag
>>
File: Screenshot-3.png (324 KB, 906x255) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-3.png
324 KB, 906x255
>>27916775

Motor oil in guns is usually a bad idea -- the detergents in motor oils are designed to draw and hold moisture, releasing it was vapor when the engine reaches operating temperature.

Unlike an engine, guns don't typically reach and sustain these temperatures, so moisture accumulates in the motor oil degrading its desired tribological properties and increasing the likelihood of corrosion.

If you really need to go all greasemonkey on your guns, go with automatic transmission fluid. ATF doesn't draw and hold moisture like motor oil.
>>
>>27918917
What the hell? Your buddy's a retard, tell him he's a faggot
>>
>>27919057
>ATF
>on guns
Kek
>>
>>27919079
There is documented use of transmission fluid used on firearms by prominent members of the firearms community since 1995..... oh, I see what you did there, durkka durr...
>>
I just use wheel bearing grease and cheap conventional motor oil. Works for me I guess. I'm not paying $30 a bottle for some shady shit by some random "tactical" website. Especially when what I use works just fine.
>>
File: 1446293852794.jpg (47 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1446293852794.jpg
47 KB, 720x540
>>27918917
>>
Red grease on things that slide, and an ATF/marvel mystery oil combo for everything else.
>>
Motorcycle mechanic here. engines pump the oil into the gaps where it is needed. If i has to use engine oil I would want the heaviest i could find. But I use belray. When we rebuild an engine we put "assembly" grease so there is lube until the oil "washs" is away. The number of cycles your gun parts go through is orders of magnatudes lower. 10$ tub of belray will last forever just go light.
>>
>>27921671

I've been using the Shell Rotella T6 I use on my and the TDIs I work on for years and years now. Diesel oil is great at keeping soot in suspension and working at insane compression, temperature and environmental conditions.
>>
>>27918917
This is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

It's like trying to mix abrasive sand into lube, thinking that a sandpaper-like finish is very smooth and non-abrasive.

But then they were worried that sand wouldn't destroy the metal of the gun fast enough, so they used diamonds instead.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.