[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So how many people here actually own a plate carrier? Do you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: new-body-armor-women-military.jpg (487 KB, 850x1100) Image search: [Google]
new-body-armor-women-military.jpg
487 KB, 850x1100
So how many people here actually own a plate carrier? Do you have plates for it?

What do they call things like the IOTV that's a soft armor system that can also carry plates?
Are there better alternatives to the IOTV?

Are plate carriers common in the military at all, or do they mostly use the IOTV?

What are some affordable body armor options for civilians?
>>
>>27912806
>What do they call things like the IOTV that's a soft armor system that can also carry plates?

Armor carrier.

>Are there better alternatives to the IOTV?
Yes. IOTVs are fucking horrible. Eagle CIRAS is something I personally have worn and know is better. Sure there are plenty others.

In fact, I'd rather wear an IBA again than wear an IOTV.

>Are plate carriers common in the military at all, or do they mostly use the IOTV?

IOTV or other soft armor vests are the standard issue in the US. Plate carriers are an exception where the command considers the reduced ballistic protection a nessesary trade off for better mobility. Militaries usually default to more protection without a specific reason to go to plate carrier though.

>What are some affordable body armor options for civilians?

See our bi-daily queergear threads.
>>
>>27912836
I miss the IBA, why did they switch to IOTV again? For the females?
>>
>>27912836
What makes the IOTV so bad?
>>
>>27912806
I do. An Osprey PC in MTP. It's more-so an IOTV once you add all the parts onto it, but whatever.

Yes. AR500.

Kevlar vests that have slots for plates in them.

Well it depends on what you want, whether IOTV, plate carriers, or soft body armor is what you need.

Generally use IOTV because of the added protection.

Honestly, if you plan on buying a plate carrier to save your life someday, save up and look for what best suits you in style, design, and protection. Not in price.
If you want something to play cowadooty with just look for shitake airshit plate carriers.
>>
Not fit enough to wear one without looking like a silly idiot with a small square in middle of fuckhuge gut/chest.

Besides, what good would a plate do if im already an overall much larger target AND slower?
>>
>>27912860
Ok, well to be fair the IBA system for adding sideplates was half-baked and sucked. Also, the fact that the front and back soft armor wasn't symmerterical is dumb, and the flap opening means it slowly degrades when loaded with gear.

It did need to be replaced, but the IOTV sucks as a replacement.

>>27912862
Two things:
1. It comes issued with insanely thick soft armor. The Safariland soft armor is about 1/3 as thick as the USGI and it isn't as "cushy", making it easier to shoot in. I assume the fluffier armor is cheaper or something.

2. It has an extremely overcomplicated quick release adjustment system. The CIRAS does the same thing but simpler and the quick release cord more sturdily stays in place. Everybody is also paranoid about IOTVs just failing apart because of the huge pullcord just hanging out.
>>
>>27912910
>The Safariland soft armor is about 1/3 as thick as the USGI and it isn't as "cushy"
But it offers the same amount of protection as an IOTV?
>>
>>27912927
They are both rated the same. The USGI soft armor is very, well, "fluffy" is the only way to describe how it feels. The Safariland is much more rigid.

I wore the CIRAS land version, BTW. I guess /k/ kind of hates it, but I thought it was fine and decent enough for a full armor system. I mean, it's still heavy, but no real way around that. I preferred a plate carrier, especially since back then I was skinny enough that a full load of plates basically protected my entire torso anyway.
>>
>>27912806
what type of panties does she wear?
>>
>>27912806
>something about a woman in baggy pants that turns me on

>So how many people here actually own a plate carrier? Do you have plates for it?
Yes, yes
>What do they call things like the IOTV that's a soft armor system that can also carry plates?
Armor carrier.

IOTV is big, heavy and bulky. so there's quite a few better options out there. Eagle makes several.
People often opt for plate carriers because most don't need the extra bulk/weight that IOTV provides. I use a mayflower APC. Works quite well.
>>
File: 20150521_222857-1.jpg (4 MB, 2236x2236) Image search: [Google]
20150521_222857-1.jpg
4 MB, 2236x2236
>>27912885
>what's the point of body armour if I'm already a fat fuck?
Well it still protects your center of mass. And you can just get larger plates to accommodate your expansive gut.

>>27912806
>So how many people here actually own a plate carrier? Do you have plates for it?
Yup, I've had a few from my issued frag vest, to a few nice plate carriers (Safariland, LBT and Ferro Concepts to name a few). I've had either Lvl 3 or 4 plates in them.
Frag vest, flack jacket...old terms, or body armour.
Yes.
>Are plate carriers common in the military at all, or do they mostly use the IOTV?
Most militaries around the world opt for a complete coverage armour system for general issue. When necessary, those that require the weight reduction often get issued plate carriers.
>What are some affordable body armor options for civilians?
LBT and Eagle come to mind. Both have tried and tested designs. There's other ones like Tactical Tailor, High Ground Gear and First Spear too.

For what it's worth, I prefer a slick plate carrier that I can either wear under my jacket or attach my chest rig to.
>pic related
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.