[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/MEG/ military enlistment general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 15
File: 1409286679428.jpg (250 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
1409286679428.jpg
250 KB, 640x960
>IRC Channel

#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

OP template
http://pastebin.com/sb5Gv1dW

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253

Ask questions, answer questions, bitch about Air Force recruiters. Just keep it contained to this general.
>>
Does it hurt your future chances if you back out of an OCS application?

I wanted to try Grad School and do ROTC there.

This is for Marines btw
>>
Going in for asvab today, any tips?
>>
>>27910638
How'd you do on your SAT
>>
>>27910652
On my act im a 28, 32 in reading, 25 in math.
>>
>>27910671
You'll be fine.
>>
>>27910706
But I mean, are there any tricks they use, also is there really a section on car parts?
>>
File: YES.jpg (20 KB, 380x326) Image search: [Google]
YES.jpg
20 KB, 380x326
I'm a dumb fuck and I've received two fines for possession of pot when I was younger, it's not a criminal offence here unless it's a sizeable amount

I haven't had any other incidents with the police and if I get a criminal check I don't think it would show up on it

When I go to the recruiter, and they ask me about drug use what should I say? Lie, and mention nothing of it, or risk the chances of them doing a background check and having that come up

Suggestions? This has bothered me for years
>>
Which branch is best if you want to avoid organizational bullshit?
>>
Getting ready to leave in a week. Any tips for a guy going to Navy BASIC?
>>
>>27910949
You're screwed, Idk if anyone will take you. You'll need a waiver for sure.

So guys I think I've decided to make the switch from 11x/19x/15w slots in the Army to TACP in the Air Force. Seems like a great way to be tacticool.
>>
>>27910622
Why would it?
>>
>>27910638
When you take the psych questionaire, you'll face questions like

A. I would rather watch my friend die than be killed

B. I think about suicide sometimes

Both answers are shit, just pick the one more conducive to military greatness i.e. not killing yourself therefore having to see your friends die and be okay with it. Got it? Pretend you're answering in front of captain america.

The ASVAB is some easy shit man, i fly through it. highest score is a 92.
>>
Anybody have experience in the reserves? How is that compared to active-duty life?
>>
>>27911212
It gets better.
>>
Well turns out I'm dealing with meps tomorrow. Any tips?
Besides lie lie and lie, if caught then say "my mistake " and lie more.
>>
File: 4DEP.jpg (1 MB, 1676x3440) Image search: [Google]
4DEP.jpg
1 MB, 1676x3440
>>
File: chris_jones2.jpg (112 KB, 927x758) Image search: [Google]
chris_jones2.jpg
112 KB, 927x758
fort jackson in 7 days. wish me luck /k/omrades
>>
>>27911802
make sure to say sir and ma'am a lot or they get mad at you. also when they ask if you need to pee early say yes.
>>
>>27912037
Why the pee early?
>>
>>27912061
because if you don't you will be waiting longer usually.
>>
>>27912070
This and it's gets it out of the way.

Also, usually the chief medical doctor is a jackass. They are going to pressure you a little bit, but you'll be fine. Also, know what you want to be before you get there. My recruiter told me to find about 3-5 jobs you would like to do. You don't want the people to pick your job.
>>
>>27912037
>>27912252
Okay, lie lie and more lying, piss early, bring a book (I've got the Complete Collection of HP Lovecraft on standby), sir and ma'am, and have a good idea of what jobs you want. Anything else? Don't go open general, I know that too. My recruiter is calling in like 15 minutes to get the last bits of info and said he should have when I'll be going (he was going to try and see if he could get me in before next week since I won't be able to do it until after Thanksgiving week is done).
Also, this might sound stupid, really stupid, but when do you actually choose your job? Do you just make a list and they call you when one drops? I think I've overthunk it and have gotten myself confused about when exactly it happens.
>>
>>27912322
i had my recruiter reserve a slot in the MOS i wanted before i even got to MEPS. but if you don't do that then you do it after all the medical stuff is done.
>>
>>27912335
So you actually know what you're going for once you leave MEPS (aside from going open)? This is the one thing I'm confused about even after getting a list of 15 things I would do.
>>
I want to be an officer in the Navy, but I'm in college right now. I'm already in my senior year though, so ROTC is out of my reach. Is there still a way for me to become an officer? I will have a degree when I graduate.
>>
>>27912407
there is officer candidate school. but it's hard as shit and you will hate every moment of your life.
>>
>>27912399
Yes, there will be a guy who will ask you "What jobs are you looking for?" You tell him the job(s) you want and they will see if they have anything available for you. I can't tell you what they will do when they can't find a job for you because I never had that happened to me.
>>
Guard or reserves?

Don't even totally understand the difference. They both drill, and they can both get deployed right? Which is better?
>>
>>27912516
My understanding is that they will try to force you into something shitty like 88M but SAY NO unless it's the job you want to do.

Friend had to go to MEPS 3-4 times before they gave him the job he wanted. NEVER let them force you into something you don't want to do regardless of enlistment bonuses or promises of changing MOS later down the road
>>
>>27912524
guard has greater variety of MOSes to choose from. however the guard has to respond to natural disasters and riots and such. unlike the reserves.
>>
>>27912564
Sounds kinda cool desu senpai
>>
>>27912564
Do both have to do this one month a year training thing?
>>
>>27912586
yup.
>>
>>27912586
two weeks out of the year, over the summer if i'm not mistaken. in addition to drill one weekend out of the month of course
>>
>>27912564
This would probably depend on your mos though, right?

Like, if you're an MP, obviously you're fit for riot control, but if you're like a signal soldier, or intel, you're not gonna be very useful for that, right?
>>
>>27912560
>Friend had to go to MEPS 3-4 times
So is this the time to go find another recruiter since you basically stopped the process? Or is this just a mild annoyance for you both since you have to reschedule to come back to do everything again? I know it almost certainly varies from recruiter to recruiter, but I'd rather have y'all think of me as a retard rather than do something stupid at MEPS.
>>
>>27912665
I cannot imagine my recruiter taking me back to MEPS several times just because I didn't want the job I wanted wasn't there.

He must have had a VERY patient recruiter.
>>
If I go to basic in January will I be issued the new uniform or what?
>>
>>27910747

There are auto questions but fairly easy ones. Not ASE level.

>>27911000

Air Force.

>>27911334

It sucks, it's boring, and most of the people in your unit will not take it serious. They'll pass everybody on the PT tests even when none of them actually pass.

>>27912524

Guard is better in every way except training budget. Reserves get more equipment and funds to play with.
>>
>>27912699
>Avoid organizational bullshit
>Air Force

??????????
>>
File: 1442189251456.jpg (84 KB, 500x398) Image search: [Google]
1442189251456.jpg
84 KB, 500x398
So from what I've gathered, I'm supposed to lie to my recruiter and be 100% honest on my SF86. Is this the case?
>>
File: 1391005785940.png (136 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
1391005785940.png
136 KB, 355x355
>>27912407
OCS bro. It's where I'm probably gonna end up going if my paperwork with my command goes through.

They want me to become a nuke officer though. After seeing what they go through on Subs I'd say if you do go do anything but that
>>
>>27912718
What are you lying about?

If it's a crime, they WILL find out. If it's something stupid like you smoked a joint when you were 16 then just don't even mention it.
>>
>>27912712
No, he's right. The Army is too big and bloated, the Navy and the Marines are bogged down with two centuries of moronic "traditions".

The Air Force is brand-new and was designed to be as simplified and corporate as possible.
>>
>>27912746
The Air Force wishes they were as efficient as a corporation.
>>
>>27912757
...as corporate-efficient as a government agency can possibly be.
>>
>>27912665
No, I understand. It probably does depend on MOS but idrk. All I know is that when I enlist im not going if I cant get 89D

>>27912640
Guard/reserve intel is basically glorified weatherman. just food for thought

>>27912681
I'll have to ask him more about it. we live only an hour away from the nearest naval meps station

>>27912697
as far as my understanding goes, yes

>>27912729
dropped out of arotc to enlist and do ocs instead after college. nuke officers get hella bonuses
>>
>>27912407
As >>27912407 said, OCS is brutal. In my experience, though, they do produce good officers because they are so insanely competitive.

All those guys (like you) that realized they wanted to do ROTC, just a couple years too late collect into one applicant pool. As a result, the Navy's standards can be sky-high.

A lot of ROTC officers are fuckups, but they're still in because they've been in since Day 1, even if they only got through by the skin of their teeth.

I don't want to knock ROTC grads too hard, since I am one, but the OCS guys come out swinging and without all the BS that comes with the Academy guys.
>>
>>27912729
>They want me to become a nuke officer though. After seeing what they go through on Subs I'd say if you do go do anything but that

Nuke school is ridiculous. If you can make it, you're top shit.

Why wouldn't you want to be on a sub? They're great. Tight-knit community, mad respect from anyone who sees your dolphins, bonus pay. You can pull down six figures manning a sub's reactor. Why do you think it's such a coveted job?
>>
>>27912816
If it's so coveted why the fuck are begging people to do it?
>>
>>27912830
do you even know what "coveted"means? It means that it's highly sought-after and is kickass. of course people are begging to do it
>>
File: 14478043551751236030335.jpg (626 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
14478043551751236030335.jpg
626 KB, 2048x1152
On the plane to san antonio now, on my way to boot at lackland
Wish me luck anons
>>
>>27912830
99% of the people who want the job are grossly unqualified. When the Navy sees someone who might possibly be good at it, they will steer them in that direction to the point of kidnapping.

>tell me, seaman recruit, does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
>wake up two days later, "welcome to nuke school, see you in six months"
>>
>>27910949

Hate to break it to you dude but here it is out of Army Regulation 601-210 Chapter 4 Paragraph 22 Subparagraph S -

The following disqualifications cannot be waived: Person with conviction/OAD(other adverse disposition) of 2 or more separate charges of possession of any illegal drugs/drug paraphernalia
within 3 years preceding application for enlistment.

The reason I used an Army reg is because the Army is the easiest to get into. Also recruiters do police records checks of every where you have lived. Additionally, MEPS will run more in depth records checks using your finger prints.

Sorry man.
>>
>>27912874
not >>27910949 but couldn't that anon be eligible 3 years after his convictions/charges?
>>
>>27912868
I think he meant, if it's so coveted, why is the Navy practically begging people to be Nukes?
>>
File: 1404614058572.jpg (105 KB, 809x585) Image search: [Google]
1404614058572.jpg
105 KB, 809x585
>>27912737
Got it.
What about seeing a therapist for few months and being on an antidepressant for a couple of months?
No suicide attempts or self-harm, just raging hormones and shitty friends.
>>
>>27912995
I would tell your recruiter, depending on how he is. I told my recruiter I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was like 10, took meds for like 6 months then my mother took me off. He can gave me the option of just not mentioning it, or going for a waiver. I never mentioned it.
>>
>>27913018
i met a couple dudes who were straight up on adderal just months before enlisting and just lied about it.
>>
>>27911802
>>27912322
>>27912718

OK so here is the thing about this grey area you guys want to play. Be honest as FUCK with your recruiter and I'll tel you why.

In the military when one of your dudes fuck up it is far better to hear it from them as soon as they fuck up as opposed to getting blown the fuck up by higher. Its far better for me to approach my center leader and say hey we got this kid who fucked up and needs a waiver, than doing all sorts of work running background checks on you with the names and aliases given and get a phone call from MEPS saying you lied about something. Bad news only gets worse with time. I have seen people in Units get charged With Article 84 of the UCMJ because they get in trouble with the law and are found to have had law violations that they lied about which disqualified them from enlistment. Its a bet I wouldn't feel like making.
>>
>>27912870
Lol have fun. Airforce basic is a joke now.
>>
File: gL2cY7c.jpg (143 KB, 1730x1182) Image search: [Google]
gL2cY7c.jpg
143 KB, 1730x1182
>>27910575
do submariners really do this?
>>
>>27913039
every so often the submarines resurface and the crew just goofs off supposedly because being underwater for so long can be depressing.
>>
>>27912870
Good luck senpai
>>
Just finished basic at Ft. Jackson. Any questions?
>>
>>27913039
fuck man that looks comfy
>>
>>27913069
I go there next tuesday. is it really as much of a joke as people say it is?
>>
>>27913078
It's not.as hard as other BCT locations, but it isn't exactly a walk through the park either. It honest depends on your battalion and company.
>>
>>27912873
In nuke school now, can confirm. Also >six months.
>>
>>27913078
also do they issue you m4s or m16s?
>>
Did navydepper ship?
>>
>>27913110
Again, depends on the company. One company got M16s but mine got M4s with aimpoint reddot sights.
>>
>>27913125
damn son
>>
>>27913121
He Should have by now. I think he shipped like a month after I did.
>>
>>27913125
I remember some of our new guys coming in from basic and bitching when they had to go to the range and qualify against pop-ups using irons. Apparently all their shooting had been with Aimpoints in basic.

Just, don't get fuzzy on the basics of shooting. Aimpoints and other CCOs are exactly so awesome because they are a crutch for poor technique. Great for the field, but they degrade your skills if you don't watch out (and if possible, practice on your own.)
>>
>>27913039
I've never done it, but then, I'm on a boomer and we don't generally surface while on patrol.

That's a very old picture, though. The shorts are too short and no one's fat.
>>
>>27913155
Never said we qualled with them. They still had irons and we still used them.
>>
>>27912890

The thing about AR 601-210 is that short of a few things permanent disquals can be over come. Just to give you an idea if you owe 5 dollars on a parking ticket you haven't paid , you are considered permanently disqualified. Since he has two possession of Marijuana his waiver approval authority is the CG of USAREC(a two star general) That's the only person who can sign a waiver approving him to join. If it requires a CG USAREC waiver, that waiver doesn't go from the recruiter in jerk water USA right to the CG's inbox. It goes Company, Battalion, Brigade, then CG. At any point in that process it can be turned down. I have heard of the CG approving law violations during the surge in Iraq, but never since then.
>>
>>27913157
what do you guys do on shore duty? also, what are the chances of getting foreign port shore duty when asking
>>
>>27913069
Will I be the only manlet in basic?
>>
>>27913029
>>27913018
Thanks for the advice. I'll be upfront about it with my recruiter and see what happens.
>>
I got my gallbladder removed a month ago. Can I enlist?
>>
>>27913029
The only thing I MIGHT have to lie about is some operation I got done when I was literally a few months old, like a hernia or something? I haven't mentioned it because I literally can't find the records of it (my hospital checked and said they have no record of it being done), my parents don't remember what it's called or when exactly it was done, any scarring is under the Amazon of pubes, and I can run a 7:30 minute mile right now so I'm basing on those that it won't be an issue. I've been honest about everything else that I can think of, tickets, other operations, etc, just because I didn't want to risk something being a problem medically.
>>
>>27913202
Also remember this, your recruiter does not DQ, the docs at MEPS do. Your recruiter WANTS you to join, he just did all this shitty paperwork for you.
>>
>>27913188
Shore duty depends on your rate. I do office work. It's nice. Easy. You get to sleep in your bed at night and there is no luxury known to man or gods like a 30 minute hot shower.

Your port depends on where your ship is stationed. You're part of a ship's crew first and foremost so that's where you go too. In my case, I'm at sea for a six month cruise, then home for another six months while the blue crew takes the boat for a spin.
>>
>>27913069
anything you wish you had known when you got there?
>>
>>27913167
Just saying, basic has changed, and we had a lot of PVTs who seemed unfortunately unable to do some of the "basic" things because of technology helpers. I'm all about using every piece of tech out there, but just don't let it make you lazy from refreshing how to do things the hard way.

That's coming from a lot of time NCOing, which included retraining soldiers who IMO had been failed by their BCT.
>>
>>27913228
what office work?
>>
>>27913260
Shit like data entry, filing reports. Literally cubicle work. They give me plenty of time to work on my master's too.
>>
>>27913039
>that absolute madman on the left

>>27913109
Can you tell me anything about nuke school? What is the academic material like? I'm planning on joining the military after I finish college and it sounds to me like nuke school is more or less like a turbo engineering degree.
>>
>>27913217
Hernias disqualify you for like 8 months or so after the surgery. Since it was when you were an infant you should be fine.
>>
>>27910622
Yes.
>>
>>27913029
>>27912874
Same Fag here

>>27913217
I had the exact same issue, same exact thing with the exact same scars. Completely forgot about to tell my recruiter, the chief medical examiner noticed it and asked me about it. I told him the truth that I don't remember anything and my parents never talked about it. He said it was a very common procedure done in the 80's and 90's and not a big issue. Depending on how big of a dick the medical examiner wants to be it could become a nut roll. But like the other kommando said its an 8 month wait after surgery.

>>27913202
its the best option because I will go to bat for any applicant that is honest with me about the little insignificant shit. But if they lie and get caught at MEPS and are legit PDQ'd then it sucks for them.
>>
>>27911985
You're fucked; it's freezing here and only going to get worse. Hope you're from Alaska or Maine.
>>
>>27912524
>Guard or reserves?
>Don't even totally understand the difference

Reserves are primarily support.

Guard are primarily combat arms.

There, now you know more than 90% of the military.
>>
>>27912909
Once you're qualified, there are very nice jobs waiting for you on the outside. A lot of people choose to leave the military.

This is opposite of jobs like infantry where there's literally nothing for you on the outside, so you stay.
>>
>>27913642
Additionally guard is run by the state and reserves by the federal government. If you plan on relocating then it is easier to be in the reserves as opposed to the guard. Also the guard has a different promotion system to where there are only so many slots within each specific rank. So for you to move up in rank someone in the rank above you must get out or move up.
>>
Even though the guard/reserves is part time. Would you still put "Veteran/Current military" on shit like job applications?
>>
>>27913069
Did you enjoy the great flood?

Are you disappoint that you graduated in ACUs?

Why did it take so fucking long for that retired SFC getting the BSM-V at your graduation to troop the line?
>>
>>27913224
Partly true; your recruiter will catch shit from his chain of command if he sends people to MEPS who get DQ'ed.
>>
>>27913704
Good point. Didn't think of that.
>>
>>27913069
Are u a grill?
>>
Got HM, ship next year. What are my chances of getting on a ship? I know there's obviously a lot of factors that contribute, but just in general. Also, any tips/info on Navy/Corpsman life is appreciated.
>>
>>27913332
Not the guy you replied to, but here's what it boild down to.
If you can do 8th grade math and can memorize a fuckton of material day in and day out, you'll do fine. If you can't you'll either 2.5 your way through or get kicked out/masted/psyched out.
>>
>>27913690
there are specific requirements to be considered a veteran. you have to have deployed for x number of months.
>>
>>27911212

Ship's Staff and Mail Clerk or Laundry.

Don't volunteer for anything else, don't try to be a big shot, just finish that and finish A-School. None of what happens there matters when you reach your first command, which is when it's time to shine. When you get to your first command, keep your evals (evaluations) in mind, because those are how your performance is officially documented, and you only start getting them AFTER training. Keep your evals awesome and you're set, buddy. That's it.
>>
>>27913761
Yeah, I know about that. I'm asking because I'm going to MEPS next week, and if all goes well I will be a guardsmen.

I'm specifically asking because I intend to go to Med school, and in med school applications you get "bonus points' for being a vet, active mil, etc.
>>
>>27913739
Forgive me being kind of doubtful. That sounds pretty fucking easy.
>>
>>27910575
What is the amount of time between enlistment and BUDS?
Will I be stuck on a ship for a while, or can i just sign up and go in with the next round?
>>
>>27913829
Their goal is to produce Nukes. Not to make fucking engineers.
>>
>>27913829
It is pretty easy. If you needed to be a genius to be in the military, 99% of applicants would have to be rejected.

Every single thing in the military is designed to be as idiot-proof as possible for enlisted. There is a manual for damn-near anything you could ever want to do short of jerk off.
If it's difficult and you may not be able to do it, your commanding officer has to question whether his orders will get done. If he knows you're qualified to do a certain thing, then he'll order it done, knowing it will get done. That's the crux of the military hierarchy.
>>
>>27913829
For a lot of people, it is.
Others are driven to suicide.
>>
>>27913829

Welcome to military schools. Even the technically difficult ones are just basically a battery of lower-level college courses. It is the pacing and amount of information that gets people, not the complexity.

It's job training, the goal is to get people trained to do their jobs, it's not a selection that is trying to fail most of the people. You'll hear the term "pump, not a filter".

When people say that 50 % of people fail a "hard" military course, it is mostly because 99 % of the population has shit for study habits, especially the people smart enough to get a "smart guy" military job but too dumb to get a full ride to college.
>>
>>27913894
>mostly because 99 % of the population has shit for study habits

This is so true it's not even funny. When I went to college, I got my kicked and I realized I had to study. Then I realized I didn't even fucking know how to study.
>>
>>27913029
My recruiter told me to play cover up and worry about it when they discover it.
>>
>>27913905
>Then I realized I didn't even fucking know how to study.

Amen, brother. Your major is basically irrelevant. The point of your undergraduate education is to learn how to learn.
>>
>going Guard/Reserve

But why?
>>
>>27911334

I think it's better option for a lot of people, I've done everything from the typical "one weekend a month" snooze cruise, to a little bit more, to full activations/deployments.

I say do it. Go reserves, go to school, get a different job, date someone that isn't fat trailer trash or military, have a life that isn't devoured by the barracks of Ft. Bumfuck. Then, if it's deployment time, you deploy and do the real thing. If you're interested in this just because you want to serve and do some interesting shit occasionally, why bother going active?
>>
>>27913852
>>27913872
>>27913894
Well wow. Think it might be worth it to be a nuke? What about a nuke officer, since I won't be joining til I'm done with college?
>>
>>27913945
college now instead of later i guess.
>>
>>27913959
If you have a decent degree, I'd recommend not joining the military.
>>
>>27913905
>>27913941

Now imagine 50+ young people who were smart enough to pull a 3.0+ in High School while not paying attention. They become adults, realize there's no free college money for underachievers no matter how "bright" their teachers think they are, and decide to enlist. They inevitably get a 90+ ASVAB and end up packing into courses like Nuke and JCAC (hacker school).

Cue half of them flunking out because you can't sleep in class while still passing tests.
>>
>>27913959

I'd stay the fuck away from Nuke, but I value my quality of life. If you want a nerd job that can get you money on the outside and isn't fucking miserable, look at computer/intel stuff.
>>
>>27913723
Pretty large.
>>27913848
Just no.
>>
>>27914035
Slight clarification: A ship that isn't a hospital ship? I know that sounds stupid, but still.
>>
>>27913985
I'm looking to serve and get out to build a financial base, get desirable experience to dodge the catch 22 of needing experience to get experience, and use the GI Bill to get more schooling. And then use my degree.

>>27914013
True, quality of life is a complaint. Just what are the problems with it? I've heard of being the first on and last off the boat, but what else?
>>
What vessel can I get the most classic naval experience on?
>>
>>27914072
What the fuck is classic naval experience?
>>
>>27914072
A canoe
>>
>>27914072
USS Constitution
>>
>>27914078
Sodomy and the lash?
>>
>>27913959
Yes, nukes make great money, they are well-respected and it will help you to get a job when you're done with the Navy.

Even if it's not in a nuclear plant, having that on your resume tells an employer you can cram an absurd amount of knowledge in your head in the highest-pressure situations and not lose your shit. No one wouldn't want to hire someone like that.
>>
>>27914072
The HMS Pinafore.
>>
>>27914066

Longer hours, more demanding shifts during those hours. Less liberty time, including staying on the ship while all your Navybros visit exotic ports. It's just a higher tempo than most jobs and more stressful.
>>
Do all enlisted on submarines need to know what nukes know? If you don't will you look retarded?
>>
File: 10917820.jpg (26 KB, 640x595) Image search: [Google]
10917820.jpg
26 KB, 640x595
>>27914086
>>27914089
>>27914105
/k/ never lets me down
>>
>>27914053
Yes. HMs are everywhere. You could go shore too, but don't get your hopes up.
>>
What jobs are best if I want to become a lawyer later down the line?
>>
>>27914141

Enlisted side? Paralegal.
>>
>>27914095
>>27914108
Thanks guys. I think I could handle a bit less liberty time and tougher shifts in return for fat stacks, respect, and the feeling of responsibility. I'll look some more into this. Does anyone know what the sources are of the extra pay nukes get? Is it just a lump extra salary that comes with being a nuke or a variety of nickle-and-dime extra pays?
>>
Planning to enlist in the Air Force.

Any recommend jobs to aim for? I'm interested in air traffic control, but I primarily want to learn something practical that would help later in life.
>>
>>27913762
Not even Recruit Education Petty Officer? I wanted to take that job mostly because I like to learn and tutor, thought it would make it easier on me.

And thanks for the advice.
>>
>>27914176
>Does anyone know what the sources are of the extra pay nukes get?
Partially due to hazardous duty, partially due to being so in-demand. If you make sub pay too, then you're rolling in it.

>Is it just a lump extra salary that comes with being a nuke or a variety of nickle-and-dime extra pays?
You get a higher salary, not a lump sum.

Even six and outs can make six figures as nukes. I'm a lieutenant and a couple of the enlisted nukes make more than me.

Stick with it and you can retire rich at 40 and spend your golden years as a part-time bicycle mechanic.
>>
>>27914248

Sounds great until you realize that six and outs can make six figures as other jobs too, like CTN, and have the easy life with way more free time and education opportunities.
>>
>>27914248
Sorry, I didn't mean lump sum, I was wondering if it was just one large addition to your pay, or a bunch of smaller extra sources of pay.

Do you know how much sub pay is? And what would be the best nuke specialty?
>>
>>27914222

I wouldn't. The jobs I recommended all have one thing in common: they get you away from your division and away from your RDCs. That means less shenanigans and more mindless sweeping, washing, and picking things up. It's just easier.
>>
>>27914291
oh, yeah, it's a series of pay differentials.

>>27914278
Don't listen to this man, he preaches acceptance of medicrity.
>>
>>27914176
same guy here

I feel like I would find it really cool to be in a sort of spooky, high-pressure, potentially classified role such as a sub nuke. Am I likely to change my mind after a year in and think I was stupid?
>>
>>27913945

It's a smarter choice for a lot of people.
>>
>>27914326
No. As someone on a "spooky" nuclear sub, I can't tell you how I appreciate my job every single day.

I has never gotten old or routine and I've been doing it for nearly seven years. I put on my uniform and think, "Holy shit, I'm on a nuclear fucking sub." Maybe I'm weird, but it really is a rush to realize you're on one of the things that people think when they think "US Navy".

Just being a part of that is worth everything. Being the equivalent of Scotty on it? I'm still a little envious.
>>
>>27910575
Why is the US Navy's new ad campaign "Global force for good" so fucking gay?
>>
>>27914326

>sub nuke
>spooky classified role

lel, you get a top secret because you will be working on systems that we don't want information leaked about. you won't be doing spook stuff, since that is the realm of intelligence.

>>27914319
as a ctn, i agree with the dude above. way better quality of life and (imo) a much cooler job. you are only as mediocre as you let yourself be.
>>
>>27914399
>as a ctn, i agree with the dude above

Nigga, you're an IT guy. You realize your civilian equivalent is a guy from India named Rajneesh who calls himself "Charles" when you call him because your printer isn't work.
>>
>>27914376
Sick. That's how I think like I might feel, but I was worried that was a juvenile romantization. Thanks for being positive and not like most of /k/ man, this is encouraging. I hope I run into you someday.

>>27914399
I didn't mean spooky as in intel spook. Knowing, me personally, information that I could be disappeared for telling to the wrong person? That's pretty fucking cool in my opinion.
>>
>>27914396

I think they stopped it, finally.
>>
>>27914396
Because the old slogan was "We literally buttfuck each other"
>>
>>27914441
>I didn't mean spooky as in intel spook. Knowing, me personally, information that I could be disappeared for telling to the wrong person? That's pretty fucking cool in my opinion.

It's not that serious.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2014/03/24/5-1-million-americans-have-security-clearances-thats-more-than-the-entire-population-of-norway/
>>
>>27914441
Shit, I thought you meant "spooky" as in "haunted."

Yeah, my boat has ghosts.
>>
>>27912874
I don't live in the US, I'm Australian
>>
>>27914434

>7 year nuke
>doesn't know the difference between IT and CTN

my civilian equivalent starts at about 90k/yr with no experience. not "a guy who kinda works in the same field", the civilian that sits next to me when i go to work, went to the same school i went to, and does the same job i do in the navy.

i do a 40 hour workweek and got 3 degrees paid for in 5 years.
>>
>>27914457
I know how many people have it. I still think that's fucking cool, man.
>>
I fucking hate my degree but I'm too far in it to change majors.
Can I commission in something completely different from my degree?
>>
>>27914495

Yes. Outside of a few select fields, your degree is quite irrelevant, the GPA is what matters. A guy with a 4.0 in exercise health is going to get the Cyber officer slot over the guy with a 3.3 in Computer Science every day of the week. Officers don't use their degrees, they manage.
>>
>>27914477
>my civilian equivalent starts at about 90k/yr with no experience
Did your recruiter tell you that?
>>
>>27914541

no? like i said, my civilian counterparts pull that starting. i know because we literally spend all week together doing the same job and hang out on the weekends.

i already have a job offer well above that, since 5 years in this position and grad school puts me well above entry level salary.
>>
>>27914495
There are very few fields where you actually have to have a related degree to the field.
>>
>>27910575
looks like somebody skipped leg day
>kekptimusprime
>>
I really like the idea and reputation of marines. But I'm sort of afraid of getting a shit MOS in the marines and not doing anything interesting. I'm just planning on four years in either army or marines.
Can someone give me the benefits of the marines?
I haven't really seen or heard of any over the army beyond stuff like reputation.
>>
Anyone have any info for a 68w hopeful or 35f hopeful?
>>
>>27914707

Marines get more travel opportunities than most Army jobs, so there's that.

But if simply being able to call yourself a Marine isn't enough to do it for you, you'd probably regret the choice (well, more than most Marines regret it anyways).
>>
>>27914558
You at Meade?
>>
>>27914738

For 35F - Airborne/RASP are pretty easy to get during 35F AIT.

For 68W - If you do your EMT cert before you ship, you can skip a few weeks of AIT.
>>
>>27914707
Benefits are really just the reputation, and culture

I'm pretty sure most people join the marines, to be marines. As opposed to a guy in the Army wanting to be an Airman, soldier, etc

Also to add to that, most guys in the Marines care more about being Marines, than being a 0311 or a 0312, etc.

As for travel, I hear Oki is nice.

>>27914738
There is a big 68w faq on the army reddit. Just go to the reddit, then at the top it says mos specific.
>>
>>27914764
Why though?

>>27914765
alright I'll check it out.
>>
>>27914803

Why what? Why are Airborne/RASP easy to get as a 35F? Because most intel guys have no interest in that stuff so the slots go unfilled and can be picked up by anyone with decent grades/PT.
>>
>>27913587
How badly? I didn't sign any contracts and I didn't even put in my rough application yet.
>>
Is RASP easy?
>>
>>27914822
Makes sense.

>>27914765
Good lord, just checked out the faq, and 68w Seems awful.
>>
>>27914883
What were you expecting?
>>
>>27914896
The usual "You're basically EMT field nurse" shit. Not an overfull overqualified floor mopper bs.

35f It is.
>>
>>27914926

Pretty much every job can be an overqualified floor mopper if they end up in a unit where there isn't much real work for them to do. If you absolutely can't accept that, the military might not be for you.
>>
>>27914949
I can accept that since [spoiler] I'm just here for the cash and the free college [/spoiler]

But certainly not a job where people aren't being promoted [spoiler] more cash [/spoiler] and are just being useless.
>>
>>27914970
If it you makes you feel any better as a 35f you will be a powerpoint ranger, while the other 35 series do the real work.
>>
>>27915028

Being editor for the other 35's? I can do that.
>>
>>27914357
That's what I hear sometimes, but I'm concerned.

I'm not sure I can live the 24/7 military life, but I'd like to serve my country even in a small way.

I'm considering the Reserve, but I'm worried about being marginalized in terms of benefits, and being able to get a job.
>>
>>27915195

This is not a hard choice.

Do you need a full time job? If yes, go active, if no, don't go active.

The number of people who go guard/reserve, graduate training, and then go home and back to their old job at Subway because they had absolutely no civilian career plan is astounding.
>>
>>27915219
If I go guard/reserves it's so I can go to school while having something else to do. Also they give an alright amount of tuition assistance.
>>
>>27915335

Fine, that is a plan. You have to actually follow that plan, get your degree, and do something with it.

"I don't want to commit to Active Duty" is a shitty reason not to go AD. "I actually have stuff I'm going to do in the civilian world that going AD would prevent me from" is a fine reason.

Far too many people have plans that end at "well imma go to college" when college should be a short-term stepping stone, not a life goal.
>>
>>27915378
Honestly, I'm going to join the Guard/reserves because it gives in an edge in medical school applications, because you have a military "merit".

I wanted to enlist after high school, but I had a surgery that DQ'd me for 6 months, so I went and got a job, realized that it was just completely dead end, so I went to college.
>>
>>27915378
>"I don't want to commit to Active Duty" is a shitty reason not to go AD.

Really? I was under the impression the military wouldn't want those kind of wishy-washy people.
>>
>go intel
>get into special operations

you may do some very interesting things
>>
>>27911985

Enjoy the easiest basic training to ever occur.

its really not that cold unless you're from south texas or florida
>>
File: 1443332853976.jpg (154 KB, 964x1388) Image search: [Google]
1443332853976.jpg
154 KB, 964x1388
>>27910575
K so i was arrested for a pretty heinous crime when i was 15 but never charged with anything. It was violent and i regret it a lot.
Consequentially Im worried i wont be allowed to enlist after i graduate high school. Do you think there is an impending war that might make getting a Moral Waiver easier? Would i even need a moral waiver since i was never charged and as a result never convicted?
And if i could never join Americas Armed Forces what are the best countries that accept foreign nationals into their Military a la French Foreign Legion? What are the requirements to join?
>>
>>27910575
What Branch has the most lenient Tattoo policies? Is there one i can get into with a full sleeve (not gang related)?
>>
>>27915722
Army

I don't think so, ask a recruiter
>>
>>27915399
If you join for getting into med I hope something really fucking bad happens to you bro. Why not just continue being the overachieving fake faggot you are outside of the military instead of fucking up your bros who actually want to do their fucking job.
>>
>>27913587
Why's that
>>
>>27915708
Call a recruiter, they can usually tell you yes or no.
>>
>>27915739
Calm down, it's just weekend warrior.
>>
>>27915739
How is it any different from people joining only for college money, or because they have nothing else to do with their lives

Everyone has different motives. As long as you do your job, who gives a fuck what your motives are?
>>
I am thinking of joining the Nation Guard. I am in college right now working on my major and associates degree for welding technologies. What is the Californian National guard like? Is it worthwhile?
>>
Does initial MOS affect chances of transferring into 35L?
Would being 35L hinder any prospects of teaching English overseas at a later time in more friendly nations like Taiwan, South Korea, and Japan?
>>
>>27912796
Did any of you guys go to OCS? What makes it so brutal? I got accepted to Air Force OCS. I've read up on it but haven't seen many personal accounts yet.
>>
>>27915739
Kill yourself you edgy faggot
>>
File: File Jul 14, 11 58 43 AM.gif (263 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
File Jul 14, 11 58 43 AM.gif
263 KB, 600x300
>got arrested for 6 counts of BASE jumping and 2 of trespassing in NYC six months ago
>top secret clearance paperwork went through without a hitch, polygraph was a joke
>shipping out to basic Jan 8th

dreams do come true lads :^)
>>
Hey guys, I've posted here before back when /MEG/ started with Navydepper, I'm the guy that was talking to a CG recruiter. I haven't talked to him since the beginning of August, but I think I'm gonna do it after I finish EMT school in February. So probably March I'll give him a call. I want to do Law Enforcement, end game goal is to be so badass I get onto MSRT and stuff. Sooo how's everyone else coming along?
>>
>>27914877

nope, not at all
>>
>>27914877
It's about as easy as you are smart
>>
>>27916618
Right on, MSRT/MSST is some badass shit.

I'm good, 68w Opt. 40, keeping up on my PT.

Started watching Tyler Grey's videos, latest one I saw was this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pefGPjfOnrs
>>
>>27914883
>>27914926
>>27914765
From what I've seen/heard, 68w is really worth it if you are able to get into a highspeed unit.

You get way more advanced med training, and get to go to a bunch of cool guys schools.
>>
>>27914558
How difficult is JCAC?
>>
>>27911824
that's actually pretty good advice.
I would recommend not buying anything at all until you're sure that the issued gear isn't sufficient, but you can't go wrong with a headlight.
>>
>>27910575
Any of youse faggets have any wisdom for me regarding 68w vs Hospital Corpsman? I know they do practically the same things, but I don't know what branch to pick.

I know if I did Navy, I would be surrounded by significantly less idiots, and might get to visit really cool places.

BUT, being cramped on a little ass ship isn't as appealing. Plus my brother is currently serving in the Army.

So? Army or Navy?
>>
>>27915538
Such as?

Spooby spook stuff? Tell me man, tell me!
>>
>>27917589
the pace gets a lot of people, you are basically doing 40+ hours of college a week plus lots of studying between class. the concepts are not crazy advanced though.

i wouldn't call it hacker school like the other guy up there. JCAC is just the entry level training. there are a lot more advanced courses you can attend after proving yourself.
>>
>>27914326
Went in thinking I'd be a lifer, changed my tune after about 5 minutes on da boat. Some people just dig it, gawd blessum. The rest of us prefer our sanity, quality of life, a sense of accomplishment, etc, so we git out and find real jobs.

>>27914376
CCC spotted
>>
We all know the rule to break up/divorce spouses and girlfriends before going in. What is y'alls opinion on meeting someone while in, falling in love and getting married then though?
>>
File: skeleton machine gun bong.png (389 KB, 461x716) Image search: [Google]
skeleton machine gun bong.png
389 KB, 461x716
>>27910575
so is there a drug culture in the military?
everyone is college age so Im assuming there has to be some drug use.
im curious if there is one how would they go about not getting caught.
the only mainstream drug that stays in your system for a long time is weed so im assuming the drug tests will [spoiler]weed[/spoiler] out any pot smokers.
from my college experience when the faculty hardens down and stops the flow of pot on campus kids just start doing aderol since its so easy to come by, can you even be in the military and have adhd or autism to be prescribed aderol.
the reason im curious is that nam had an extensive drug culture and im curious to see how as the military evolved how they combated the problem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VvuOUYe7mI
>>
>>27918278
Acid lots and lots of acid

gets out of your urine in like 2 days
>>
>>27918278
The PSG, who sees troops every day may notice you being fucked up and send you to get tested. And/or if you do some shut like get caught by the civilian cops or in a car accident you get fucked and kicked out with an OTH.

Also, drug testing in garrison can be at random once a month or more if there is a perceived problem. And command is allowed to do unannounced barracks inspections.

So, just because you saw it in a 'nam movie about when the military was using literal conscription doesn't mean it applies to a time when an all volunteer force is downsizing and according to be picky.

I ended my terms of service and was getting out and was next to a group full of scraggly people getting kicked out for drugs. They blamed everyone but themselves and they did not get full benefits (importantly no GI Bill), don't be like them.

If you want to be an addict, take it somewhere else.
>>
>>27917909
>I know if I did Navy, I would be surrounded by significantly less idiots
not in the navy but i thought corpsman were frequently paired with marines when in the field.

also is this the official average military intelligence rankings
1)navy
2)air force
3)army
4)marines
>>
>>27917909
Everyone in the Army is actually a truck driver

Corpsman are cool as fuck and get to hang with Marines
>>
What role will get me slaughtering muslims as fast as possible?
>>
>>27918264
just remember basic training and AIT is not the place to hook up.
>>
>>27914707
if you want to make a career out of the military army is a much better way to do it but if you just want to tell chicks at the bar that you're a marine and act like a badass then that's all they really have going for them.
>>
>>27918347
>>27917909
Plenty of criminally retarded motherfuckers in the navy, don't worry. Idiots are everywhere, that shit is unavoidable no matter where you go.
>>
>>27918816
B2 stealth bomber, detour to mecca
>>
>>27918038
Will I not get a clearance once they find out I go on 4chan?
>>
>>27917909
HM are basically worshiped by marines if that's your thing
>>
Hey /k/, going to college and going to enlist later. Doing this mostly because of having a general education and doing 4 years to get more than enough gains and endurance cuz trying into special operational forces for marines (force recon and MARSOC).
>inb4 but duh muhrines will pay fo colleege
Uhhh, no thanks, I REALLY don't want to juggle college and military bullshit, I still want to have a decent time in college
>>
In the process of getting a recon contract. Took the ASVAB yesterday and got a 99 so I think they're going to try getting me to do something else, but if I do get the contract I'll be shipping out to San Diego in May.

>>27919518
What's up fellow Special Forces Wannabee. Are you going to go enlisted or try to be an officer?
>>
>>27912769
>Guard/reserve intel is basically glorified weatherman. just food for thought

So I'm guessing you aren't a 35 MOS.

Because that's retarded.
>>
>>27920221
Nevermind, I didn't read that you aren't aren't even in.

You don't know shit, you aren't even a boot yet.
>>
>>27911824

Also, it's better to buy a really cheap beater and replace it than it is to buy a really expensive car you might drive from the base to a nearby town once in a while.

Walking to a nearby dealer who isn't on base and using 'model year end clearance' and shit like that is also a good idea.
>>
>>27920109
If you meet the requirements for Officer Training, the only reason NOT TO is because you're afraid of shit they'll find on a background check.
>>
>>27919518
You do realize that the GI Bill is for after you get out, not while you're in, right?
>>
>>27920251
Or because you want to do something you can't do as an officer
>>
>>27920251
No idea why you said this to me, but another reason for not going officer is because officers in the special forces don't usually get to do boots on the ground type stuff once they advance past O-3. Of course this is something that I just read so it might not be true

>>27920287
He probably meant something like ROTC, or platoon leader school, or even the tuition assistance they give for active duty military
>>
>>27920287
>not while you're in, right?
You can use the Post 9/11 while you're in. But you have to meet a minimum time in service.

You also don't get BAH like you would if you were out, and your time isn't pro-rated.

When you're out (I'm using the post 9/11 right now) you get BAH every month, and it's pro-rated by the days you're actually enrolled. So you get 36 actual months, not just six semesters of school.
>>
>>27920308

I think I misquoted.

In any case, most people should be concerned about the money they'll get out of the military, if they qualify to be officers.

Making fifty thousand dollars a year to be a butterbar is worth being marooned at a desk when you get to Major or Lt. Col.
>>
Enlisted into the Marines and chose security forces, what am I in for?
>>
>>27920393

PT. Infantry culture. Hazing. Maybe being put into the Infantry per needs of the military.
>>
>>27920420
K that's good enough for me. I'm not needy
>>
Generally speaking, is being able to run 4 kilometres in 20 minutes a good baseline level of fitness for starting basic training?
>>
>>27920573
Try 5k in 20 minutes and thats baseline for pretty quick
>>
>>27920598
Yeah. Slowly building my way up to that hopefully. From what I've gathered the best way to approach it is alternating between 2.6 km best efforts and 10km steady jogs. Anyone have any other suggestions for building up stamina?
>>
>>27920615
I ran track and cross country in high school and our workouts were usually 2-3 mile runs all week except Friday. Those were LSD days. Long Slow Distance, which was mostly 6 to 10 miles. I couldn't tell if we ran too much or our bodies were weak but most of our team had leg problems
>>
>>27911824
10/10 would do again
>>
>>27919129

barring the crusty old timers, pretty much everyone in uscybercom goes on 4chan.

who do you think keeps the terrorists from stealing our rare Pepe stockpiles?
>>
>>27920365
the better paying civilian professions aren't always open to officers either.

for instance if you want to do netsec then officer is a shit choice. same with programming and (at least in the Army) flying drones.

Be an officer if you want to be a manager/leader, being an officer just for the check is retarded. you will get way out-earned by a guy that enlisted at 18 and then got a six-figure civvy job just as you finished school and became an O1.
>>
>>27920573

BCT is a joke. You can be a huge fatty that barely ever ran before and you'll pass as long as you work on it at basic.

This isn't selection, BCT only fails people that quit.
>>
>>27920514

Hey, it could always be worse.
>>
>>27920724
Will they check my Facebook messages, I have trap stuff on there.
>>
>>27910575

is this board just fall of burgers? Where's my brit bros at?

About to enlist as a reservist in the RAF, any advice?
>>
>>27920863
Uhhh yea burrva itss uhh vervy hurd
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.