[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /k/ think of the 7x57mm round? Is it worth buying a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: m309.jpg (3 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
m309.jpg
3 MB, 4608x3456
What does /k/ think of the 7x57mm round? Is it worth buying a Mauser in 7mm or should I buy one in 8mm? I live in NYC and I can only buy antique firearms.

My options in terms of Mausers are the 1891 Argentine, 1893 Spanish, and various other G88 and G98 import variants.

I also like that these guns can be had off of gunbroker for only $200-300.

Thoughts?
>>
>>27910339
There is no more surplus 7x57. So if cost is a concern I'd advise against it, unless you reload.

That aside, it's the most popular of the 7mm cartridges and probably the best Mauser cartridge around. It's a popular sporting load and relatively easy to find even in most big box gun stores. I'd pick one over a 8mm Mauser any day.
>>
>>27910339
how were you able to get a permit
>>
>>27910382
Don't need a permit if it's an antique, like I said.
>>27910381
Thank you. Cost isn't really an issue as I wouldn't be able to shoot it very often. I'd probably buy a 20 rnd box of PPU and it'd last a year or more.
>>
Bump. Also I'd like to know what's the best pre-1898 Mauser that isn't buttfuck expensive.
>>
>>27910402
If that's all you're gonna shoot then it'll be fine. They make moder hunting rifles chambered in it as well, if that's more your style.
>>
>>27910544
Ah, well unfortunately I can't buy any modern firearms. I'm asking about these specifically because owning any gun that's not an antique in New York City is next to impossible. Getting it shipped straight to my door is a nice plus as well.

Thanks for the info.
>>
>>27910402
20 rounds per year? What do you even want it for?
>>
>>27910640
Killing hookers probably.
>>
>>27910402
where is your source that says you can have an antique firearm in nyc without a permit
>>
>>27910640
I don't know, but plenty of people on /k/ shoot their guns just as infrequently or never at all. All of the ranges within a 50 mile radius of NYC are nazi tier. It'd have to be a special occasion for me to actually get a chance to shoot.

mainly I just want a cool rifle with history. Shooting it is only a bonus. If I want more ammo I'll buy it when I need it.
>>
>>27910692
Umm. It's not technically a firearm under federal law so it can't be regulated by any local government. There isn't really any legal documentation regarding antiques specifically in NYC, but based on the research I've done and what I know about firearms legislation, there is no problem there.

There was a story a few years back of some fat reenactor getting in trouble with the police for buying a black powder musket and he left the receipt at a store and someone got scared. Apparently they tried to take it away but he went to court and won. So as long as I'm not a retard and leave documentation of the gun in public it should be fine.
>>
>>27910742
Let us know how it goes.
>>
>>27910756
I will. I understand the risks, but I'd much rather be in trouble with the NYPD and fight it out legally than be too afraid to try it.
>>27910769
I know that.
>>
>>27910742
You have a gross misunderstanding of the laws.
>>
>>27910742
>It's not technically a firearm under federal law
That's not even remotely correct
Blackpowder guns like flintlocks and such are not considered firearms
>>
>>27910818
>>27910842
Well, maybe. It's still unregulated though as long as it was manufactured before 1898 though, isn't it?

I'm sorry, I didn't grow up around guns so I don't know very much about this stuff.
>>
>>27910867
Lol no.as a fellow New York citizen I have bad news for you. Date of manufacture does not matter. Essentially it's only legal if its a black powder firearm. Even in that case, if you have powder and ball for it, it becomes a firearm.
>>
>>27910885
Is this the case only as it's enforced, or is it written in the legal code?
>>
>>27910742
>. It's not technically a firearm under federal law
not true, to make it 'federally not a firearm' and ONLY an antique, it needs to be un-firable. this can include making 1/4th in wide cuts on the barrel, welding the bolt closed and removing the fireing pin etc, but the laws on how a gun becomes 'unfirable' varies from state to state.

source: i did lots of research when i got my mouser. mines a mauser gewehr 98
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.