[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1911 circlejerk
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: 241631.jpg (67 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
241631.jpg
67 KB, 880x660
1911fags, is this snakeoil?
>>
>>27906719
Yes. The gun has worked fine for 100 years without it.
>>
File: k goes innawoods.jpg (35 KB, 469x241) Image search: [Google]
k goes innawoods.jpg
35 KB, 469x241
>>27906719

I have a very early Para-Ordnance P14-45 that would always fail to pick up the last round that happened to have one of those buffers installed when I bought it. I removed the buffer and not a single hiccup of any kind since. Might be of benefit to some but my personal experience was negative.
>>
Yeah, pretty much. Bill probably made a fortune on them, but I doubt it saved many frames from "battering". You can't slingshot a commander with one in. I've seen them come apart- the black ones seemed worse.
>>
>>27906719
The people who use these are the same people running around with idiot scratches.
>>
>>27908636
Oh man. I have idiot scratches on mine. Does that mean I am obligated to get one of these plastic dinguses?
>>
NO.

Snake oil is expensive and does nothing.

Recoil buffers are cheap and lessen wear.

It's like a buck every few thousand rounds. It's totally worth it.

The real. 1911 snake oil are deviations from mil spec specifications. Back when 1911s were entirely parts interchangeable tolerances were looser and it made the gun more reliable.

I'm almost certain it will help prevent cracks on the slide rail and frame.. particularly if you like hot ammo.

I've researched it myself.
>>
Most people agree these hurt more than help. Basically the 1911 doesn't need it, with old surplus ones reporting several hundred thousand rounds through them.

The problem with these is that after a lot of rounds they start to break apart and when a chunk comes off it jams the gun up real bad.

If you buy it, it will jam your gun the only time in your life that you get in a gun fight.
>>
>>27908845

You're supposed to change them out before that happens.
>>
>>27908857
Yeah and you have to change timing belts at 120k, therefore seized/destroyed Toyota and Honda engines don't exist
>>
Stephen Camp recommended the use of a buffer for Hi Powers, if you wanted to maximize your pistol's service life and you were shooting hot loads (hehehe).

He also said you could just put it in for range time and take it out to carry, if you were worried about it affecting reliability. Duh.
>>
>>27908857
I guess if you want to do that, then fine. But it's completely unnecessary. Guns run longer and with less issues just changing springs when necessary. These do nothing but jam guns for people that don't know that much.
>>
>>27908886

I thought they modified engines long ago to prevent timing issues from destroying a motor.
>>
>>27908930

They put recoil buffers between pretty much any metal pieces that contact each other violently in vehicles. Why not in guns?
>>
>>27906719
Replace your recoil spring at the recommended intervals.

Though, the recoil spring replacement regimen is a lot more frequent than you might expect. Most Govt and Commander 1911s call for recoil spring replacement every 800-1200 rounds, and the compound springs that some officer framed 1911s use last a little longer, at 1800.
>>
>>27909788
Not all timing belt motors are non interference
>>
File: 1446657669929.png (25 KB, 474x316) Image search: [Google]
1446657669929.png
25 KB, 474x316
>>27906719

Snake oil? I say yes, for the regular shooter who buys factory ammo.

However I reload 45acp and sometimes experiment with some pretty hot loads. So when I take it to the range I throw one in my 1911 for insurance.

Once I have my data and fine tune my loads, I take them out.
>>
They have their uses. I run them in my USPSA Limited 40SW. I do it because my recoil spring is 11#, and I need to prevent the slide from battering the frame. My gun chews through a buffer about every match and a half, so I just replace them with each cleaning.
But for a carry/defense gun, nope. Don't recommend them unless you're shooting +p+ of something.
>>
>>27908886
toyotas at least are non interference motors and incur no head/valve dmg when the belt/chain breaks. (not true on the 80s stuff but anything 92+ is fine... source? Me..Ex Yota tech.
AMA and ill tell you to fuck off
>>
>>27906839

When I was working at a gun shop we had a mini Para 1911 that had a buffer integral with the recoil spring. You couldn't lock the slide back because the thing was in the way.
>>
File: 1447479580637.jpg (46 KB, 473x500) Image search: [Google]
1447479580637.jpg
46 KB, 473x500
For going to the range, yea I leave one in my SR1911. If I were ever going to depend on it for my life, I'd probably take it out just in case it did come apart, but I've shot 400rds through mine and it seems to absorb some of the wear from the buffer being dented. I keep one in my AK too.

I mean, what the hell? If you're going to the range, throw it in there to help protect it while you're practicing. When you get home, clean it, take it out, and then put it back in your open carry holster to impress all the ladies and faggots who care what pistol you carry because you weren't wise enough to get something lighter, more reliable, and that holds more rounds.
>>
File: Tyler-The-Creator1.jpg (96 KB, 608x610) Image search: [Google]
Tyler-The-Creator1.jpg
96 KB, 608x610
>>27906719
Yes
>>
>>27906719
>Old alloy frame
Get it

>steel frame or new alloy
Don't get it
>>
File: IMG_0373.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0373.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
1911 thread but no 1911s.
I'll start.
Though I need to update picks this gun has new grips.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.