[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Penetration into ballistics gel vs a person
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1253342134.png (524 KB, 700x900) Image search: [Google]
1253342134.png
524 KB, 700x900
I was reading a bit and I came across the Trayvon Martin autopsy report again and I was wondering, has anyone ever bothered to compare how far various bullets penetrate into ballistics gel to how far they manage to penetrate in the autopsy reports? Unfortunately George Zimmerman was using some S&B 115 grain hollow points that have no actual ballistics gel testing for them available on the internet (outside of some moron on youtube shooting them into a barrel of water and another guy shooting some into phonebooks), but according to the autopsy they would have only penetrated about 5"-6" into Trayvon Martin and didn't hit his ribs so I'm really curious as to what 12" of penetration into ballistics gel might actually correspond to (yes I know it will be different from person to person depending on what percent body fat but still).
>>
Ballistics gel is not 1:1 to human flesh, and does not account for bone.
>>
>>27906442
I was under the impression ballistic gel was an 'average human density' analog
>>
>>27906430
Its probably 3-2:1 gel:flesh

>>27906462
Flesh is complicated, and most people are not naked and most gel is not at optimal testing temp.
>>
File: ss+(2015-11-16+at+09.51.39).jpg (90 KB, 428x398) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-11-16+at+09.51.39).jpg
90 KB, 428x398
A ballistics expert did the exact study you asked back in 1991. Compared gel results of his department's carry ammo to autopsy results.

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Fackler_Articles/winchester_9mm.pdf

>>27906471
See above. It's 0.8-1.2:1 gel:flesh. Gel is much softer than bone but much denser than lungs or intestine. Autopsy results average out pretty damn close to the gel testing.
>>
>>27906520
Interesting, didn't think it was so close. Most of the videos you see with 18-20" penetration are outside in the heat and sub fbi grade gel makes a big difference.

Its also notable that heavy fabrics like jean or leather can affect the amount of penetration.

A shitty example would be .380 ball out of a pocket pistol not being able to penetrate a few layers of jean.
>>
>>27906623
https://www.youtube.com/user/ShootingTheBull410/videos
>>
>>27906640
Yeah i'm rewatching now. There was some interesting stuff about jeans getting stuck in hollowpoints causing massive overpenetration pretty cool.
>>
>>27906651
Hornady uses a polymer tip in their hollow points to prevent "clogging"
Federal-i think- used a post to prevent "clogging".

Anyway, several brands use a preventive means for this problem commonly known as clogging.
>>
>>27906651
Hornadys jacketed hollow points tent to bend completely back and against the base of the bullet, creating a slug type round.

Federal premium>hornady

Teminal ballistics wise.
>>
>>27906717
They don't always work as intended.
>>
>>27906755
But they work well enough to implement.
>>
>>27906430
It was enough to kill the nigger dead.
>>
>>27906822
Kinda sorta, I've seen regular hollowpoints work better out of pocket pistols.
>>
Remember that the round slipped through his intercostal space

It DID NOT hit bone

16-18" gel penetration master race

Even if the round passes through, it will not have enough energy to pierce skin on the person behind
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.