[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /k/ I kinda want a fudd rifle for durr huntan, and to dip
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Savage Axis II.jpg (81 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
Savage Axis II.jpg
81 KB, 1024x683
Hey /k/
I kinda want a fudd rifle for durr huntan, and to dip my feet in the water of long range-ish shooting.
As far as hunting goes, I live in a very mountainous region so I'd be very lucky to get a shot over 200 yards. As far as general long-range shooting, I'm limited to about the same distance.

My LGS carries the Savage Axis II in about every caliber for $399 with a $50 factory rebate. Comes with a mid-tier scope (from what I can figure out) and walmart-tier rings, which the guy at the LGS said he's switch out for free if I bought new rings.

The only question is, what caliber do I go for? I'm thinking 270 Win for the flatness of trajectory and muh stoppin powah, but I'm open to .30-06 or .308 or pretty much anything.

Also, to anybody that owns the Axis or any other Savage rifle, how do you feel about it?
>>
>>27905521
3 0 8
>>
>>27905598
Thanks.
I was thinking either .308 or .270 really, since .30-06 is usually better for longer ranges than what I have access to.

But from looking on their website, it also comes in .223? Maybe I should look into that instead, since it's basically the most popular cartridge in America today?
>>
>>27905650
Depends on state laws. Some states say that .223 isn't big enough for deer, so the minimum could be .243.
>>
>>27905771
Just checked state regulations, it says "any caliber centerfire rifle or centerfire handgun"
>or centerfire handgun
>tfw I could theoretically legally take a deer with muh Glawk

Still probably gonna stick with two-sebbedy. Never fired one though, what's the felt recoil comparable to?
>>
>>27905521
270 is a sick caliber but 308 does just as good of a job at the distances you're talking about, is generally more abundant, and a little cheaper.
>>
>>27905842
>legally take a deer with muh Glawk
good luck shooting it past 10m
>>
>>27905650
I own a .223 savage axis xp, go a bigger caliber. just incase you know. go .308 if you wanna plink a bit and have ability to drop a deer, or 30-06 if you arent gonna shoot willy nilly with it and go through a bunch of ammo.
>>
>>27905521
Get .270, its reloadable if you want to volume of fire that beech, but it is wildly better at almost any range than .308 even though the .308 ain't no slouch.

Also, some mountain hunting can actually turn into very long range hunting pretty easily. Especially if you change elevation and wind up going above a tree line. What states and elevations are you talking about? Wyoming and West Virginia are two totally different environments and they are both mountainous.
>>
I saw a deer that was shot at over 400 yards with a .270. The bullet entered the neck and came out between the animals legs. DRT.
>>
>>27905842
You also have to have a barrel over 4 inches. But good luck hitting anything past ten yards
>>
Thinking of getting this, "Savage Arms Trophy Hunter XP 7mm (.308 Remington cartriges) 24" Barrel"

or would you guys recommend another rifle?

image related
>>
>>27905521
30/06 308 300WM 7mm mag
If you can save for it, spend alittle more money grab a Tikka-Savage > remington in the 5-600 area
Since your just hunting, grab a Redfield/leupold or nikon scope in 3x9x40. Mostly going for quality here $150-200 but the scopes will last you and the magnification is plenty
>>
>>27908101
Can confirm, Redfield scopes are legit. They are last gen Leupold for half price. Vanilla but quality. I done did the research and my uncle mounted it on his savage 99.

>Good boy points but no tendies.

>Captcha was steak. Maybe it's a sign.
>>
>>27908101
To add onto this-
.270 is great for deer, but if you plan on shooting for accuracy your better off with a more standard round just for selection
.243 is a good option if you want a round that is gentle but still puts down deer with ease
>>
.270 is OK. The ammo is as cheap as 30-06. It shoots flatter than -06 allowing you to not have to adjust as much when shooting longer ranges. But if you are getting a long action go with a mag. 7mm or .300wm. Might as well have the extra oomph. Short action look at 7mm-08 or .243. .223 is an OK deer cartridge. But if you want fudd gun. Get fudd caliber.

Have you considered a HOWA 1500 or Weatherby? All in the price range as the savage. With just as good if not better QC. I have both the vanguard and an axiom 1500 and they are fine rifles with good aftermarket.
>>
I might also add the QC on factory .270 is terrible. I could never get consistent groupings even with the "same" loadings. Winchester, Remington, hornaday, S&B.... all shot different box to box. I thought it was something wrong with the rifle until i started handloading. You can get match kings for it. Thats what I ended up doing and got really good groupings compared to the factory stuff.
>>
Get a 7-08 if you want to shoot longer ranges. Everything is flat shooting out to 200 though.

If gig can afford to get a ruger American grab one in 6.5 Creedmoor and you'll really enjoy yourself
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.