[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /k/ think of the tactical application of mylar bla
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7
File: 91J+xsm8QPL._SL1500_.jpg (514 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
91J+xsm8QPL._SL1500_.jpg
514 KB, 1500x1500
What does /k/ think of the tactical application of mylar blankets to avoid infrared detection?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBQyxlsW2ag
>>
That's pretty raven

I'd chuck some leaves on top tho
>>
you can totally see the other guy next to him though
>>
>>27904655
If I recall correctly, the other guy is not using a heat-blocking cover.
>>
That's really not all that good if that video is anything to go by. you could use a thick quilt and get the same effect not to mention the fact that its shiny as all hell. Since its something you're wearing its going to get warm and then you can see that warmth thus making it kind of pointless. It might not be as bad if you made it not shiny and somehow incorporated it into a camo net tho to break up the heat sigs of shit underneath it.
>>
>>27904407
Inb4 carl carwindows
>>
>>27906411
And his cape.
>>
It works for a while. Until your body heat has conducted into the mylar. By then though you are also a baked potato.
>>
>>27906389
if you look hard enough you can find a "trauma blanket" or "casualty blanket" that are OD on one side, mylar on the other, and as tough as a tarp. Some outdoor stores carry blue instead of OD ones, but you can probably paint one better than a regular flimsy space blanket
>>
>>27906666
>look hard enough

Quads of truth!

>Type "OD trauma blanket"
>Get http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Blankets-Military-Casualty-Survival/dp/B00NWL0LQW
>>
>>27904407
You're adequately shielded in your mom's basement.
>>
>>27906704
basically this.
>>
>>27906697
If you combined all four into one large sheet you could construct a shelter which would defeat FLIR pretty well.

I imagine that if the shelter is not touching you, and there was airflow through the shelter, they could never pick it up on infra red
>>
>>27906774
The problem with these is they're incredibly flimsy. There's a thicker version that's roughly 7' x 7' and about 1/4" thick that's much more hardy but I can't remember the name of the manufacturer. As you might have guessed though they take up more space.
>>
>>27906774
This is pretty much what I was talking about. Just not OD green, and a bit smaller.

http://www.amazon.com/Double-Thermal-Reflective-Blanket-Stakes/dp/B00KWR2FMC
>>
>>27906797
>>27906697
>>27906666
i'm talking about this style
actually surprised i could find the OD version. usually they're bright blue on one side. i have the blue version and it's tough enough to do anything a regular tarp could, plus the grommets on the corners make it easy to tie it to stuff.
http://www.amazon.com/Rothco-G-I-O-D-Casualty-Blanket/dp/B0014EWWFM/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1447742141&sr=1-1&keywords=casualty+blanket
>>
>>27906831
Yea, those ones are pretty good. It's weird that description has wool in it though, and has the packaged dimensions, not the unfolded ones.
>>
File: ghostgasm.jpg (6 KB, 180x180) Image search: [Google]
ghostgasm.jpg
6 KB, 180x180
>>27906831
>Aluminized wool
That sounds so toasty
>>
>>27906914
oh, there's no wool, now I'm no longer excited
>>
Actually the best cover is some cloth with a reflecting layer on one side.

The face that the thermal camera sees should have a pattern that mixes well with the surroundings. A reflective surface looks very different to grass.
>>
it works

my friend robbed a grocery store in maine a few years back, hid in the woods under one for 2 days while helicopters were looking for him. was covered in his own shit and piss, but it worked
>>
File: IS SUCH A THING EVEN POSSIBLE.gif (3 MB, 480x271) Image search: [Google]
IS SUCH A THING EVEN POSSIBLE.gif
3 MB, 480x271
>>27906914
>>27906926
>wool blanket
>one side covered with aluminized OD tarp
>grommets on all corners and on center
>warmth of wool blanket
>completely wind and waterproof
>blanket, groundsheet, shade shelter, windbreak
FUND IT
fuck if ivan sold these he'd make a mint
>>
>>27906954
Why the fuck would you rob a grocery store?

>Maine
Oh, right. I guess Hannaford was the only business around that wasn't bankrupt.
>>
File: vp8jU5X.gif?.gif (789 KB, 444x272) Image search: [Google]
vp8jU5X.gif?.gif
789 KB, 444x272
>>27906962
>>
>>27906962
God dammit get ivan on the line!
>>
>>27906969
they prob though he was a dying deer / other woodland creature since it just blurs you a bit
>>
>>27906962
> heavy as fuck
>not breathable at all
Yeah... there's goretex sleeping bags out there that are basically trying to do this. They're not popular for a reason
>>
>>27904407

Cuz it's fucking hot and you cant wear it for more than an hour or do anything strenuous while wearing it, for instance running around shooting shit. Also even if somehow you could wear it all day as camo somehow eventually it would just heat up anyway and create a thermal signature.Perhaps if you could wear one as a cape and throw it overyourself lord of the rings style if you knew someone was tracking you it might work. But thats not really practical if theres some predator drone hanging over head that you cant see. So short answer no, it's too impractical.
>>
https://twitter.com/kovandire/status/666323990303137792

Video related
>>
>>27907798
>ot really practical if theres some predator drone hanging over head that you cant see. So short answer no, it's too impractical.
If you're innawoods in a silent and non-sound polluted situation, can't you hear the Predator drone's engine? Just asking, I'm just curious
>>
>>27907848
I honestly wouldn't know. From what I understand though is that their operating ceiling is so high that no, you really don't.
>>
>>27906588
pretty much this. It's useful if the enemy is doing a flyover, and you need to stay hidden for a few minutes. This poses a new problem, the helicopter might notice you before you notice it, and in a situation where you can notice a helicopter first, MANPADS is your friend.
Against a drone loitering for hours? Not so much.

Best way is still keeping hidden under dense forest.
>>
>>27907848
Notice when you see the contrails of an airliner? You can never hear it at most of its trip. A predator is at about the same altitude, and makes a lot less noise because of its size and engine.
>>
>>27907805

Now how do we make one with a firing port?

Can you just cut it, or does that fuck with the integrity somehow? Doesn't seem like it would, but I'll be honest and say I'm not 100 percent on how they work.
>>
>>27907919
A firing port would work pretty well.

Thermal cameras notices heat. And that blanket blocks heat (at least for a while). If you had a small firing port, the only thing showing up on the thermal camera would be the hot air steaming out of the firing port.

Ventilation is important, since no matter how good the thermal blanket is, it will heat up in the end, and be visible. A firing port would act as a small ventilation port. But more importantly would be having lots of air under the blanket, and lots of spaces where heat could dissappear, without enough space for the thermal to actually see what's hiding beneath.
>>
>>27907950
probably a Mauser. There's shitloads of them here.
>>
>>27907950
>implying guns are illegal in europe
amerifat from trailerparkville detected
>>
File: spoon_PNG3046[1].png (288 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
spoon_PNG3046[1].png
288 KB, 1200x1200
Hey /k/. you're stuck in Europe, a civil war is on the horizon, you've got no guns, no ammo. You can only purchase legal weapons or build one with legally purchasable items. So no firearms.

What's your weapon of choice?
>>
>>27907959

Revive the long-standing French tradition of the throwing axe.

Buy hundreds and hundreds of axes and start practicing.
>>
>>27907959
see
>>27907956
>>
You're just making your head a more obvious target.
>>
>>27907959
Bows/crossbows and group tactics.
>>
>>27906666
SE ET3683 Emergency Outdoor Tube Tent with Steel Tent Pegs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008JFW6BY/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_DqYswbZ8MWFQG

Ohhhhh any know about something like this in od?
>>
>>27904407
Good idea but the mylar quickly heats up and has it's own heat sig.

You want to either use it for short periods or hang it like a foot above your head.

Also, mind the radar. People have enough water in them that we don't really show up to radar but aluminum is just as shiny to radar as it is to visible light.
>>
buy one and put it in your happening bag
>>
I think the US military must ignore these things because otherwise it would prove the futility of spending trillions on expensive fighter bombers
>>
>>27907959
Buy material to make a PVC crossbow from the local hardware store.

Also a hatchet.

Then spend time on the northern coast. Push comes to shove you can duct tape some logs into a raft and paddle across the English Channel. People have swam the Channel so paddling a raft over it would be easy by comparison.
>>
>>27908243
Most of our enemies don't realize that aluminum can block infrared and those that do aren't practicing guerilla warfare against us.
>>
File: flagisil.jpg (46 KB, 599x384) Image search: [Google]
flagisil.jpg
46 KB, 599x384
>>27908236
>>27908226
you need one in your habbeding bag regardless for help with hypothermia.
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 1024x651) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 1024x651
There is nothing tactical about sounding like a giant bag of ruffled potatoes chips
>>
>>27908305
Goddamnit I laughed more than I should have at this
>>
>>27908269
Eventually the time of bombing goat farmers in the desert will come to an end
And the USA will have to fight an opponent with above 80 average IQ, and access to equipment more expensive than a 100 dollar cell phone.
>>
>>27907783
p sure the whole point of goretex is breathability
>>
having a house made of glass is more effective than a space blanket so why dont we just make all our outposts out of glass and be totally invisible
>>
>>27907897
Drones helicopters all military gear produces heat and they are visible also not to talk abou the noise
>>
>>27906411
Anyone have a cap of that?
>>
>>27907947
How would it look flowing out?

Could I make it look like demon eyes? Could I make a dick shaped port?
Could I spell words with it?
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.