[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chile
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: image.png (41 KB, 270x270) Image search: [Google]
image.png
41 KB, 270x270
How long could Chile last in a war with Argentina? To my understandings, the Chilean Armed Forces are better equip and train in comparison to the Argentinians, but with the Geographical layout of Chile, how could they possibly defend their insane border? Or how could they protect Santiago from being overran?
>>
Which side has the most oil and will thus gain American aid?
>>
>>27802432

you are in high command at argentina or chile yes ?

note this 4m not a good place to ask strategic type questions

except maybe this :)
>>27802432
>>
>>27802432
They don't have to defend the entire border, just the places where Argentina is capable of invading. It's pretty much all mountainous terrain.
>>
If recall correctly, the Argentinian armed forces have been downgraded to the point where they could only last 48 hours in a shooting war with Paraguay.
>>
>>27802432
>Or how could they protect Santiago from being overran?

Better question is how would Argentina get across the mountains, or marshal a population mostly along its coastline. They'd have to transport their troops via navy, where Chile has a definite edge.
>>
>>27802459

Yes :)
>>
>>27802509
>Paraguay
I thought that Brazil fucked their shit up, do they even have a military?
>>
>>27802526

Actually, the size of the front is a huge disadvantage for Chile. Chile's high command have ran infinite wargames about this particular scenario an Chile always loses. Best case scenario, they manage to negotiate peace without major territorial loses. Worst case scenario, Argentina overuns Chile.

This is without foreign support obviously.
>>
File: 1427838639285.jpg (48 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1427838639285.jpg
48 KB, 500x667
>>27802567
I would collect all of Chile's forces to the capital (Santiago), and wait for the invader. Let them take the barren southern half of Chile, and sacrifice the northern quarter of the country. Then, wipe the Argentinian invaders in the south and wipe the invaders up north.

Destroy everything piece by piece. Argentina's army is so clumsy that they wouldn't react in time. And even if they did, the two fronts are so far away that they can't help each other.
>>
>>27802432
I bet you could just hold the mountain passes and deny them entry. Surely that whole border isn't as passable as it appears to be.
>>
>>27802601

you would lose the attrition war.

Chile imports ALL their hardware. Although Argentina is no manufacturing powerhouse, they could start cranking out domestic equipment in an all out war effort.

No matter what they do, WITHOUT foreign intervention, Chile loses.
>>
>>27802432

Who has the initiative?
Did the Argies just start shooting out of nowhere?
What are the comparative strategies?

War isn't just 1v1, if Chile loses a good portion of it's navy in a first strike it will have problems, if Argentina doesn't secure mountain passes quickly they may stall and get slaughtered.
>>
>>27802432

>defend

Is this 1915

Chile rounds up its boys and fucks the argies in the ass until they ask for a ceasefire.

Holding territory doesnt mean dick in a high intensity conventional war, BTFO out the opposing armed forces means everything
>>
>>27802624

>attrition
>production
>in an all out war

You dont know shit bro. This would.be a set piece conflict. You arent producing/training meaningful forces in the timespan of a month or two
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 532x388) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 532x388
>>27802649

Let's say pic related has deteriorated relations with chile and both countries start a force build up along the border like how it was during the Falklands war because she's 50 years old and still menstruating . Due to the tension a skirmish between the 2 sides happen. Both sides take heavy losses and then the Argentinian government declared war against Chile
>>
File: 1411319241540.jpg (3 MB, 2484x1600) Image search: [Google]
1411319241540.jpg
3 MB, 2484x1600
>>27802624
My scenario depends on a quick and devastating succession of offensives and one-sided victories one front at a time (quickly dispatch Argentina invaders on the north, and then cleaning off invaders in the south, and then heading for Buenos Aires to do shock and awe).

If done correctly, Argentina is going to surrender within a few weeks of fighting.

It's like Schlieffen plan 2.0 as it depends on huge offensives one front at a time. The goal is to capitulate the enemy in one front within a few weeks before enemies at the other front realize what's going on and try to take advantage of the situation.

If all goes well, there shouldn't be an attrition war, and Chile will win with inferior numbers.
>>
>>27802624
They're not going to be cranking out domestic hardware fast or potent enough to overcome the 2 to 1 advantage the Chilean's have in fighter aircraft, much less the fact that Chile is rocking a mix of upgraded F-16s while Argentina is using A-4ARs.
>>
>>27802432

Dear OP,

I am chilean, and a frequent reader of this board, although I almost never post.

I cannot answer your question due to lack of data, but I can tell you that you must consider this three factors when trying to answer:

(1). Between Argentina and Chile, there is mountain range called "Los Andes", which reaches it's highest altitudes as it goes south (with the exception of some mountains and volcanoes in Bolivia and Ecuador). It's one of the worst mountain ranges to consider in surviving matters in the whole world, history confirms this if we consider the paraguayan airplane accident that ocurred in 1972, in which it's few survivers made it alive because of a combined and planned effort of the 3 strongest of the group, who walked, if I remember correctly, more than a month, to reach Chile and call for help. They were stocked with human flesh from their deceased companions because in Los Andes there is almost no life.

Argentinian troops would have the worst time trying to cross and maintain control over the border which is not already military controlled by Chile. All the crossings are heavily controlled by the chilean army as our goverment puts lots of money each year to control all the borders, specially the one with Bolivia and Peru.

(2). Chilean mountain troops are better trained than the ones from Argentina, this is a fact well known in South America because the chilean mountain troops are trained as special forces with the green and black berets, forces that are currently within the best ranked troops in the world since they are logistically trained by members of SAS and Gurkhas. Members of this forces where about to be called by the USA army to provide support - although it was said to be humanitarian support mostly - to the American forces in the Irak war, but the president from that time said no.

(3). Currently Chile has better siege material because, as someone already stated, we import everything we see in that matter.
>>
>>27802499
Airplanes are now ground attack vehicles and must obey terrain restrictions
>>
>>27802432
All the way to Kirtchner's House, Bueno's Aires.

Seriously.

>>27802567
Argentina can split the country in half, Chile could mobilize it's operational reserves to hold off the argies (which would kick the argies ass) while the regular forces literally kill Argentina in a counter invasion
>>
>>27802624
Chile, through FAMAE, makes SMG's, pistols, battle rifles, and assault rifles, alongside explosives, mines, scopes, rockets (arty and FFAR), as well as arty rounds and tank rounds.
Chile could start pumping it out in a draft. and Argentina doesn't have the will for a total war
>>
Chile has probably the best trained and equipped force in South America.
Those Leopard 2's are going to fuck up the SK-105's, AMX-13/105's and uparmored Marder hull TAM's, heck the Leopard 1's will do fine too.

Chile has AIFV's (some with .50cal. some autocannon and/or SPIKE) alongside Marder IFV's, Argentina has VCTP's with 20mm the only plus side being slightly better armor than a Marder
>>
>>27803961
Los Andes sounds breddy similar to the Andes mountains
>>
Crossing the Andes on foot/truck is stupid, so the only way to do so is by plane. I honestly don't know how high current planes can reach, but even if they can fly over the highest peaks, there are some strong as fuck winds. And don't even consider helicopters, because they can get tossed like a feather.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVOSbySypjA
>>
File: 100_0429.jpg (2 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
100_0429.jpg
2 MB, 4000x3000
>>27802432
The Chileans have the most professional Army in South America. They would beat the snot out of the Argies.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys8WjisOCMI
>>
So Chile has one of the most professional military forces in South America. How does it rank up otherwise like economic conditions and crime? Seem like the most put together state down there.
>>
File: 100_0460.jpg (3 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
100_0460.jpg
3 MB, 4000x3000
>>27804437
Crime isn't bad, the state police down there are Operator tier bad asses. Also is one of the few places that doesn't have a drug problem.

Chile has a few really good years of economic growth. Their military is funded through the country's mining operations and with China buying a shit pile of copper there is money in the coffers for anything. Chile is the world's largest producer of copper by the way.
>>
>>27804482
Cool ty for the info seems like a good country in a continent that has some problems.
>>
Chile would get British help.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.