[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could powered armor ever be useful for anything in modern warfare,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 67
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
Could powered armor ever be useful for anything in modern warfare, or does the trump of mobility show that something this large and cumbersome would prove to be useless on the battlefield?
>>
>>27796481
More funding for meta-materials research would be far more beneficial in the long run.
>>
>>27796481
the only thing you could really use them for would be breaching situations
>>
>>27796481
power armor, in the near future, is not about making you into a walking tank. it's about letting you carry the same or slightly more gear, without worrying about all the weight. it would increase mobility, not reduce it.
>>
>>27796551

Forgive me, was thingking of having to move fast in combat situations.
>>
>>27796481
No
Yes
Even in the Canon of Fallout Powerarmor only existed because the Run on Fossil fuels crippled mass mechanization and tank corps. Also it was used for domestic policing.

In any realistic scenario a Light Armored Vehicle or APC is infinitely superior in every way.
>inb4 something something a half ton mech suit will totally climb a set of mud stairs to git dem Hajis!
>>
What kind of armor would you use for powered armor? Assuming cost is no issue but it has to be existing technology.

If you had about 80kg to work with what level of protection could you manage?

The best I could think of was DU/titanium alloy as first layer, ceramic 2nd layer, then a steel layer with spall liner.
>>
>>27796481
Armor has the distinct disadvantage of it being always easier to innovate new ways to penetrate armor, thus negating it. Until we find a way to create a sci-fi style "energy shield" to protect against kinetic and electronic attacks, I don't think true armor will be viable.

Realistically, I think you'll see exoskeletons designed as load bearing devices, allowing soldiers to carry their typical loads (Which seem to increase steadily as we require more and more from the common infantryman) without feeling the weight.
>>
File: giphy.gif (2 MB, 828x354) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
2 MB, 828x354
Real life power armor will probably be the exoskeleton-style jackets like you've seen in those R&D test videos and that Edge of Tomorrow movie, not full body suits.

Relatively easy to put on and take off, doesn't detract from peripheral vision, and increases the amount of weight a soldier can carry.
>>
>>27796650
>Armor has the distinct disadvantage of it being always easier to innovate new ways to penetrate armor, thus negating it. Until we find a way to create a sci-fi style "energy shield" to protect against kinetic and electronic attacks, I don't think true armor will be viable.
>Realistically, I think you'll see exoskeletons designed as load bearing devices, allowing soldiers to carry their typical loads (Which seem to increase steadily as we require more and more from the common infantryman) without feeling the weight.

yeah those sappi plates sure are obsolete; that's why we see soldiers in iraq dropping their plate carriers and kevlars.

retard
>>
>>27796661
Fuck that bullshit and fuck tom cruise.
Took my favorite book and raped the shit out of it.
>>
Heavy weapons team becomes the heavy weapon guy.
>>
>>27796661
I think the biggest change will be the ability to carry a very heavy weapon and stabilization. Imagine your rifle is suddenly .50 bmg with a 100 round mag, has a 20x variable zoom, FLIR, rangefinder and a targeting computer that compensates for bullet drop and wind. On top of all that you can aim it with one arm with no fatigue and keep it steady while jogging. All of that should be possible with current tech.
>>
File: image.jpg (164 KB, 701x1140) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
164 KB, 701x1140
>>27796661

This is the future of exo armor anons, not OP's pic.

/thread.
>>
File: Mjolnir mk4.png (2 MB, 780x1800) Image search: [Google]
Mjolnir mk4.png
2 MB, 780x1800
>>27796661
This, we'll start off with exo-suits then build our way to something greater.
>>
>>27796600
Bring that floor to you.

>>27796695
happens in the mountains.

Power armor would fill an viable role for anti armor in urban pretty well. As well as right now your average infantry unit is incredibly over burdened with shit. Besides there's a lot of small arms it would immediately make obsolete making an shock trooper type assault very viable.
>>
>>27796641
Hard plates on most of your body.
>>
>>27796859
Troops will just get 40mm grenade launchers as s.i.
>>
>>27796731
Wich book? I just know the manga.
>>
File: 1442721092448.jpg (96 KB, 512x799) Image search: [Google]
1442721092448.jpg
96 KB, 512x799
>you will never kill an enemy of your nation using your pointy head

Born too late to wear a pickelhaube, born too soon to wear spess masks.
>>
>>27796823
Geettt out of here stalker
>>
File: 1237138945712.jpg (108 KB, 600x497) Image search: [Google]
1237138945712.jpg
108 KB, 600x497
>>27796481

Well with the battle of BOS and NRC, it is to say french .50 cal rifles did the trick or automatic carbines with default 5mm AP ammo nearly wiped out the western BOS. However it is not how the armor can hold up against, it is how the user inside the armor is still functional after possible battle damage and so on. That is probably why the Y-17 prototype trauma override harness existed, just so that research can develop power armor can also be recoverable with or without the soldier intact inside.

It is to say power armor is radiation resistant, without the drawback of unarmored radiation suits but for attrition reasons. Everything in Fallout world that was combustible was atomic powered, even the fission batteries that weighed more in mass than any could go nuclear but never did were miniature power rods in a way.
>>
>>27796481
>tfw want to get Fallout 4
>tfw vidya cost $80 in Canadia now
Fucking exchange rates making me wait a few months
>>
>>27796481
In Fallout's cannon/situation yes.

In our own practical sense no.
>>
>>27797258
In the backstory for the NCR it stated that their war with the brotherhood was extremely bloody for the NCR, even though they had access to plenty of munitions.

Thinking about it makes me depressed since there's almost no chance of there being a Fallout: Tactics game set during this war. Trying to take on walking tanks with a whole company of infantry and duking it out with their regular soldiers would be cool as shit.
>>
>>27796843
power portability is the real limiter, even those new batteries can only do so much
>>
>>27797268

Well, that and the bugs anon.
>>
File: 1446650402179.jpg (41 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1446650402179.jpg
41 KB, 960x720
we have one of these threads once every week at a minimum. Fuck off, the answer is always no. Too heavy, power sources suck, and its better to use a tank.
>>
>>27796641
>The best I could think of was DU/titanium alloy as first layer, ceramic 2nd layer, then a steel layer with spall liner.
Just a plate with anti-spall slightly thicker then current level 4 armor plate, and liberal amounts of kevlar inside as padding and slightly more protection. This will stop all but 50 cal AP rounds. 308 AP would hit the plate hard but there's still kevlar to catch the core. Spalling isnt an issue if the plate is molded and shit, you can have a small curve under the neck that would send stuff around the head.

You went way overboard.
>>
>>27797244
Nyet
>>
File: 1437005128793.jpg (118 KB, 895x592) Image search: [Google]
1437005128793.jpg
118 KB, 895x592
>>27797896
But stalker, blowout be of the soon!
>>
>>27797069
All You Need Is Kill.
>>
>>27797959
The same name as the manga? Ok.
>>
>>27796481

Yes and yes.

Power armor would be fantastic. Good power armor would be just like your pic. It allows full rand of motion, jumping, running, sneaking, rolling, etc.

the power suit would allow you to have thick, super heavy duty armor that would require anti-vehicle weapons to penetrate, making you immune to small arms fire and with full mobility almost impossible to hit with tank guns.

not to mention that you could add in mounted, stable weaponry with huge ammo reserves all while having soldier that is barely breaking a sweat as he guns down and entire village.

now imagine a platoon of them. or better, an entire army.

now combine that with fast, heavy duty troop transports that are also armed to the teeth, further supported by tanks. that is some scary shit
>>
>>27797804

and fictional weapons 2x a week, quit bitching gear queer.
>>
>>27798014
I am not a gear queer. I don't even own a set of camouflage clothes. I'm stating some facts about todays standards. I don't know if we will ever have a power source good enough to cram into a personal battle suite, but it will never really work.
>>
File: image.jpg (362 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
362 KB, 1920x1080
>>27796843
Why mk4 and mk5 so sexy?
>>
>>27798067
Because it was the glory years of halo at bungie before those chucklefucks at 343 got ahold of it and shat all over the glorious art style and shat out 2 abortions
>>
>>27796481
Let me ask you this way? What goes faster than power armour and has more armor? A tank. What's cheaper then both of them? An RPG with an anti armour warhead.
>>
File: Timone.png (79 KB, 560x398) Image search: [Google]
Timone.png
79 KB, 560x398
The reason in FO Lore IIRC for power armor was that oil was running out, so the US decided "Fuck tanks" and ran on nuclear power cores. T-45D was made as a kind of special ops guy, they were used to clear out towns and villages, and were eventually made to be standard for ALL US soldiers since they were so easy to make for them.

Considering they were up against the equivalent of '60s gooks with AK's, the design philosophy would be radically different. I'd place my money on Nuke powered tanks or liberty primes, with the main cannons firing mini-nukes.

As for other kinds of power armor; No, it's not necessary, and for the amount of R&D needed, it'd be more realistic to just research a better power source than batteries, since that would enable ~70% of sci-fi weaponry
>>
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 420x249) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 420x249
>>27798037
>that metal barrel will never work!
>tanks are too slow to break the enemy lines!
>you can just knock it out with an at rifle its not worth it!
>calvary are better and will always be better!

Yes, you are that person. Congragulations you are going to be remembered for being retarded.
>>
>>27798101
Never played 5 (PS4 fag), does it slightly redeem 343 or is it just as horrendous as Halo 4: Power Ranger's Edition?
>>
>>27798159
If by "slightly" yo mean "about half a pubic hair", then yes, SLIGHTLY. It's still shit compared to any of Bungie's offerings.
>>
File: image.jpg (361 KB, 446x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
361 KB, 446x400
>>27798159
I sold my xbone after the MCC fiasco. Its just sad that such a good thing was turned to shit to try and compete with call of duty.

>>27798167 Its still ptretty bad. Ive played bout 5 hours includeing the whole campaign and mp and its just not fun for very long. I hate what they did to the vehicles in general and spartans movement, they used to feel heavy and meaty but still with lots of power under the hood. Now its just meh.
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 350x298) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 350x298
>>27798147
No I won't...
>horse are way too unruly
>how can you shoot when you are moving so fast?
>you have to feed horses, that's dumb
>making ranks with muskets is clearly better, better accuracy and killing potential
>I get to wear this hat
>>
>>27798128
And who is the retarded that won't let other people have fun? You.
>>
>>27796731
You need to read better books my friend
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 400x300
>>27798279
That's a pretty bitchin hat, I'll give you that.

Horses are dumb. Like really dumb. I'll concede this entire argument for horse genocide 2015 if you want. We must remove equine.
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 243x208) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 243x208
>>27798279
>Muskets are too innacurate
>they require you to train men to reload them, which is shit
>Longbows can fire three times the distance if the man is man enough to use it
>Muskets are so unreliable they put pointy sticks on it

I get to wear these sick tabards and helmets
>>
File: MK2powerarmor.jpg (627 KB, 950x1024) Image search: [Google]
MK2powerarmor.jpg
627 KB, 950x1024
>>27796481

Regardless of how the game is, the new power armor designs are on point.

I might actually be in love with the new T51

Here's hoping there is a single set of hellfire somewhere in boston
>>
>>27796816
.50 cal? Lets kick it up a notch: each suit gets an 80mm mortar and augment sthe running ability of their occupant. Sort of like the kangaroo boot, where it creates an artificial and exaggerated Achilles tendon to store and release energy but with more burst power per bound? Allow troops to jog at 20mph and sprint at 30mph for hours without tiring. Shoot and scoot positions with indirect fire, or blitzkrieg them with heavy machine guns and small targets. Give a couple of them RPGs or javelins for antiarmor capabilities. It isn't about replacing tanks, it's about increasing the speed, firepower, and survivability of the basic footsoldier.
>>
Only real thing holding us back is a power source

In fallout the US was forced to develop a small. powerful power source in response to the fuel shortage

If we ever managed that I don't see why they wouldn't strap some ballistic plates to the current exo skeletons we have, though I doubt we'd ever see anything on fallout's level
>>
>>27798432
If Bethesda improved one thing from FO3, it's making power armor actually look and feel like power armor.

Too bad they fucked up dialogue choices and animation so badly.
>>
File: image.jpg (165 KB, 736x868) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
165 KB, 736x868
>>27798506
Wait for modders to fix it just like all the other shit they have fucked up over the years.
>>
>>27798212
>the movement used to feel meatier
>Halo 5 has all sorts of new hard hitting built in spartan abilities that actually make you feel like your armor is a weapon and not just health regen.

Not to defend 343 because they really could have made the game do much better, but you're just so wrong.

Halo power armor is a great concept, but how exactly would the energy Shields work?
>>
>>27798432

Thats the 3rd best power armor config. Best shit comes from the Institute.

Also...forgive me, but you get to do something really sweet with a dog brain.

Cerberus...the 30mm Auto Cannon.
>>
File: image.jpg (100 KB, 481x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100 KB, 481x640
>>27798432
Oh man, every moment of my time I spend when I get this game will be devoted to obtaining/crafting power armor and funs
>>
>>27798495
Thats actually a huge fucking problem.

Battery technology simply hasn't kept up with advances everywhere else.
Realistically our first exo suits are going to be minimalist, take weight off the knees and impact off the feet and legs and allow soldiers to hump heavier longer.
In fact they'll probably be focused on the legs so no enhancements to the arms
>>
File: mcdc7_adrenal_glands.jpg (69 KB, 400x384) Image search: [Google]
mcdc7_adrenal_glands.jpg
69 KB, 400x384
Why focus on this when we already have the technology to biohack soldiers ? Bursts of adrenaline in battle and regulating the flow of it would give you a much better performance over time and less stressed out soldiers.
>>
power armor would be better without the meat inside of it tbt senpai
at least the limbs anyway
>>
File: X-COM can do it.jpg (712 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
X-COM can do it.jpg
712 KB, 900x1200
>>27798604
>>
>>27798615
She doesn't look angry enough to have yellow power armor
>>
>>27798648
With those huge hands she's probably an Imperial Fister
>>
>>27798212
>The whole campaign in 5 hours
This is truly whats killing pesant stick games now. I took my time and had fun with gta v for PC, not getting into mods though. Took 26 hours and i could have done it in 16 if i tried to do it quickly. The MP in gta is trash too.

People make games now for initial sales and not for longterm players. This is why i play CS:GO. 1300 hours and im not bored yet.
>>
>>27798598
Because overclocking the body is a real quick way to kill someone by poisoning them with their own hormones, or by just generally wearing their organs to oblivion?
>>
>>27798648
Perhaps being always angry, all the time has transcended her into a serene form of rage zen?
>>
>>27796481
probably exo suits like in Elysium

would be better for breaching
>>
>>27798681
If you only use it a few times it probably wouldn't hurt your organs and shit. Its like cocane. My dad was a heavy user for 5 years in the 80's and the only thing wrong with him is high blood pressure and he used to get frequent sinus headakes, which went away after changed his diet.
>>
File: x-com upgrades.png (691 KB, 1171x1555) Image search: [Google]
x-com upgrades.png
691 KB, 1171x1555
>>27798648
>>27798659
she's not 40k

>>27798681
what we need is Respirocytes. all that oxygen. all that power
>>
>>27798716
Just look at people that juice too much. That's your answer.
>>
>>27798681
I'm not talking about overclocking I am talking about regulating it better than the human body can. Much like a well programmed turbo in a car will be operating for the proper speed and engine RPM your glands could be working in response to your needs instead of just pouring it all out in one quick burst. This would actually be better and healthier in the long run.
>>
>>27796481
hahahahahahahaha
>>
>>27798817
>too much
EXACTLY WHY I SAID "If you only use it once or twice"

You FUCK
>>
>>27798840
You're going to cut someone open all the way down to the kidneys and install expensive as fuck biotechnology only to use it once or twice in their life ?!
>>
>>27798860
Yeah.

You know we're talking about the military, right? They pay 500 dollars for hammers and a grand for a toilet seat.
>>
Right now I could see functional power armor being used at this moment, but only if it's tethered with a power line that also has a coolant tube of liquid nitrogen.

>tether would feed two point one niggawatts of pure unadulterated electrical JUICE to the suit
>suit would have unlimited power to move fast and be stronk
>tether would also have a hose that would feed liquid nitrogen to the suit and power line itself so the power line doesn't melt, and the suit doesn't catch fire because all dat powah
>maybe 2 to 5 minutes battery pack, depending on what the suit is doing, just enough time for user to run or get out of the suit before he runs out of power or catches fire

Would be great for breeching/CQB. Because fuck walls, fuck floors, fuck people, fuck their weapons, fuck barricades, fuck everything.

This suit would be lean, compact, built light because very little batteries needed and motors can have a giant power/weight ratio since they're kept cool by liquid nitrogen. The only actual weight on the suit would be armor and the suit frame; the whole thing minus the user could weigh max 200lbs but have enough power to flip a fucking full size sedan over like a plastic table.

It would be burning hot, freezing cold, on a leash, and very very angry.
>>
>>27798955
>This meme again.

Please go and stay go.
>>
>>27796816
>>27798453

stop playing 40k guys it's fucking with your sense of reality
>>
>>27798732

>exposed head
>exposed breasts
>center mass is almost entirely exposed

Ya thats a great peice of bodyarmor you have their, its not like every every modern army on earth dosent shoot center mass all day every day or something
>>
>>27797993
>armor sturdy enough to protect you from anything but a tank shell also light enough to allow you to JUMP and run in using only your own legs and some servomotors

you're a retard I think
>>
File: 1334426112997.gif (542 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1334426112997.gif
542 KB, 640x360
>>27799030
best post in the thread
>>
>>27799030
Are you an Ork ?
>>
>>27798559
You mean all those perks that alienate the better half of a fan base built over the course of 8 years who chose (with their money) to play halo over other fps games? 343 has made the game marginally prettier, while destroying the gameplay in favor of a copy of call of duty realigned with sci-fi Shit.

Get out of here /v/. I came here for guns, not your bullshit.
>>
>>27799354
I've been called mad weapon scientist a few times.

That suit isn't orky, it's more Eversor. Man-sized, short range, close quarters meat blender stuff.
>>
File: battleangel-lo_v06_145.jpg (410 KB, 1544x1100) Image search: [Google]
battleangel-lo_v06_145.jpg
410 KB, 1544x1100
>>27799370
>>27799354
>>27799030
>>
>>27799030
But what about RPGs anon?
>>
>>27799389
With the capabilities of a lightweight suit that has very few limitations on power usage, I'd imagine it could have a small radar unit and an automatic evasive maneuver override command. The user might not enjoy that many instant Gs but it would probably be better than taking an RPG.

Pretty much matrix that shit.

You'd be surprised what machines can do when they're purpose built, and aren't weighed down by batteries that have to last hours or even limited by overheating. Most electric motors in power tools could take a shitton more power and have a LOT of fuck-you in them but they'd overheat and destroy themselves within seconds. If you're cooled, though, it'll take whatever the support frame can handle and that is usually a very large amount of stress compared to high-speed, high-strength movements on human scales.
>>
>>27799412
So, why not take the human out. if it's already going to be THAT complex, why not have a remote driver piloting it Jaeger style. The squishy bits are just hindering what is essentially a mech at that point.
>>
Question :
What I'd the dude i's hit by a molotov? Those are quite common. The suit will just turn into an oven.
>>
>>27799434
B-b-but I wanna power suit...

Apart from an emergency "move away from thing", I'm not sure we can really have a robot adequately function as well as a person. If a person is remotely piloting it, it would be hindered by controls and not have the same tactile feedback as you could if you were directly in the suit. You could make a copy of the suit in a "flight simulator-esque" pod, but you couldn't accurately convey acceleration, momentum, vibrations in the ground, the feel of picking up equipment or people, the change in balance or weight shifting around.

I think it would simply be a more nimble, fluid, fast, and useful solution with the human inside the suit. Plus, the guy has his own muscles to help the suit out if it needs that much more oomph.

DARPA has robots that navigate "rough terrain" (a few bricks in a pile) at about a tenth of the speed that a normal man could; meatbags are naturally amazing at dealing with huge amounts of extremely complex sensory input problems very rapidly, while computers are good at counting things. The suit would be simply taking the pre-existing movement information from the human body's muscle impulses and making the matching movements.

>>27799449
Muh liquid nitrogen line.
>>
>>27796481
It would still be easy to knock out with shoulder fired weapons. Heavy armor would be good for defensive positions (think riot/swat gear where they're covered head to toe for small arms protection and mobility is not as key) where as exoskeleton systems used primarily for load bearing capabilities would be used in offensive roles, long range patrols, unmounted infantry, etc. Tanks and artillery are still, at least for now, a much better investment.
>>
>>27798279
But anon shot and pike formations killed calvary
>>
>>27798615
>She will never forcibly make you tit fuck her
>>
File: cyborg chest pains.jpg (461 KB, 1431x900) Image search: [Google]
cyborg chest pains.jpg
461 KB, 1431x900
>>27799167
>cheeky art is serious business
>>
>>27796481
>Could powered armor ever be useful for anything in modern warfare
You'll probably see it used to brutally round up and haul off unarmed peaceful citizens to work camps in your lifetime.
>>
>>27797268
>tfw aussie cost is $60
>tfw shit gun laws
>>
>>27799388
that's a cyborg
>>
>>27798587
battery tech is improving, maybe not as fast as silicon chips but it is improving
>>
>>27799544
Hey wait a minute I thought the female cyborgs didn't have breasts in xcom
>>
I've been thinking about getting Fallout 4 when it comes out. I've been out of the loop and accidentally forgot all about MGSV and I heard it sucked anyway. How's Fallout looking?
>>
>>27796641
Carbon nanotube soft underlayer, Graphene plate over layer.
>>
>>27799030
Also it should have at-fields, anti tank fields.
>>
File: IMG_20151105_035822.jpg (199 KB, 1078x1013) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151105_035822.jpg
199 KB, 1078x1013
>>27796661
When his height starts with a 5
>>
Unless they're protected against overpressure people are just going to invest in more explosives.
>>
>>27797231
>Future armor
>still an AR-15 based rifle

plasma uppers when?
>>
>>27796641
costs and logistics are always an issue -- war doesn't just 'happen'
>>
>>27799975
thermobarics ^_^
>>
>>27799791
It's sad really. While silicone chips improve at a pace of doubling their strength in two years it's somewhere around 30-50% for batteries in the same timespan.
>>
>>27796481
I always see you guys talking about these for basic gruntwork
What if we used them for light arty/really heavy infantry(for situations that it would work)
Loadbearing ability is increased, you can use recoil mitigation tech to do something like a small mortar on shoulder/back, you could go with rockets and just have some bulky dude in a suit of assisted armor walking around with rocketpods on his back and a laser designator
A possible scenario
>someone is hiding in a building
>steve "birthing hips" jones pulls out a laser designator and points it at the bullding
>leans slightly
>missiles start firing to what is love
>building collapses, enemy arty on roof is now gone
>>
>>27798128
Hitting a (roughly) man-sized target that is actively taking cover is a lot harder than hitting a tank.

Doing so with a muzzle-loaded weapon with a low RoF and limited magazine (3-4 rounds per person, maybe triple that with a dedicated "mule"), changes the equation just a bit.

Now, add in the C4I capabilities of powered armor--if it can haul a soldier's combat load and some armor, it can certainly haul and power some compact sensors and processors--and you've got a significant mismatch.
>>
It'd make more sense for powered armour to be used in raids and not battles.
You could dispense a tonne of whupass but you don't want to be around for that long.
>>
>>27798453
That's... overkill. Way too much bulk, much less weight, for a single suit.

Think about a revised OICW using LSAT tech and caseless telescoped rounds, and a grenade with 1km+ range, airburst, and maybe guidance too (as an alternative, replace the XM-25 component with a normal 40mm GL and issue a handful of those new 40mm laser-guided rockets with 2km+ range--and that's what we can build *today*).

Now, add a tri-mode hybrid scope (supposedly in development), include target recognition software, and a TrackingPoint-style ballistic computer, and the average trooper can reliably acquire and prosecute targets out past a klick, and call in fire support for anything he needs help with.
>>
>>27800059
actually silican chips have a limit to how small they can go before the electrons start behaving strangely. There are some ideas on how to bypass this problem (it is approaching rapidly) like quantum computing and "atomic spin stuff" Im sure we'll figure it out
>>
>>27800223
I get what you're saying but any exoskeleton is going to be using so much juice there wont be much left over for sensors and comms.
>>
File: 2dudesinlatex.jpg (54 KB, 878x396) Image search: [Google]
2dudesinlatex.jpg
54 KB, 878x396
the real question is, will they ever drop these suits out of planes?
>>
>>27800274
Psycho is a big guy.
>>
>>27800266
Sensors and comms are miniscule compared to the power required to support and move the soldier, gear, and armor. It's like railguns on an electric-drive ship--slowing down to 2-3kts below flank speed frees up more than enough power to run all kinds of energy weapons.

For the suit's power requirement, there's not much out there right now; it's by far the biggest obstacle. There are ultracapacitors being developed that *might* meet the military requirement for 72 hours of operation; the guys who put the liquid graphite into a DVD laser label-maker are supposedly approaching commercial production, for example. Low-temperature fuel cells are farther away, but would probably be a better solution for the battlefield, given the energy density of liquid fuels like methanol.
>>
>>27800308
UUUU
>>
>>27798159
>>27798167
Halo 5 is great the mp is the best in a long time.
>>
>>27799363
Lol someone can't remember reach or halo 3 items.
>>
>>27800401
are there still weapon drops? Because that was one of the saddest parts of H4, the whole point of halo has been to find your weapons.
>>
>>27796481
I think it would be best if it worked liked it did in starship troopers.

A sealed armored space-suit with jump jets that you wear for orbital jumps.

Strength enhancing so you can carry shit like man portable nukes easily.

Armor? Well you're dealing with enemies that can tear through armor so it's not really about that... but yeah it can stop conventional small arms fire.

Really it's about giving a single soldier enough heavy firepower to level a city block while staying small and mobile.
>>
>>27798432
But now you need fusion cores to use the power armor.
>>
File: halo-5-guardians-req-system.jpg (170 KB, 1723x897) Image search: [Google]
halo-5-guardians-req-system.jpg
170 KB, 1723x897
>>27800572
there's the REQ or whatever system now
you pre select load out cards (which you collect) that have different weapons/vehicles
getting kills or something gives you points to redeem the cards from stations on the map
that's how you get the good gear
>>
>>27797268
>tfw i preordered the special edition for muh $60 pipboy
>tfw my computer needs a new graphics card to play it
>tfw it plays skyrim at 60fps with graphic improvement mods and doesn't even meet minimum requirements for NEEEEEXXXXT GEEEEEEEEEEN FO4 that uses the same engine and leeked footage makes it look exactly like skyrim
what the fuck bethesda
>>
File: 1821415-battlearmor.jpg (222 KB, 550x944) Image search: [Google]
1821415-battlearmor.jpg
222 KB, 550x944
>>27798453
>>
>>27799030
>the whole thing minus the user could weigh max 200lbs
look up the weight of a square meter of 1/4" thick steel; protip, an average human has about 3square meters of surface area and the suit would have a fuck ton more

in short, lrn yourself so you can fully grasp how retarded your post is.
>>
>>27800128
because why not just bring along a LAV or a tank
or have this magically thing called aircraft
or artillery

normal combined arms trump magic l33t oper8or alternate history faggotry like powerarmor
>>
>>27798587
>In fact they'll probably be focused on the legs so no enhancements to the arms
Well, once you have that it's not hard to add something like a stabilization arm.
>>
>>27799544
>Breasts are uncompressable balloons
I know it's humor, but artist has clearly never known real boobs.
>>
>>27801814
I'd have to agree with you. Still it might be useful for mountain infantry or airborne operations.
>>
File: robo2.jpg (86 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
robo2.jpg
86 KB, 480x720
>>27796481
>Could powered armor ever be useful for anything

very useful for police officers I would think because they frequently operate alone or in pairs against presumably less well equipped civilians

just sayin :)
>>
File: 000000000358253.jpg (89 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
000000000358253.jpg
89 KB, 1280x800
powered armor or stuff related would be practical in the future.
>>
>>27796481
I'e always liked something more like the Wyvern suits from John Ringo's Looking Glass series.

Portable BRRRRRT and .50 caliber pistols.
>>
>>27796481
It'll be useful when it is functional enough to allow for long-duration engagements alongside regular infantry (i.e. being able to keep up with quick maneuvering and flanking,) and be capable of stopping most high-powered rounds coming their way. Maybe not a .50bmg straight on, but it should give someone a reasonable chance if they take a glancing hit.

Thing is, shortly after power armour is introduced, there will be weapons developed to defeat it. We already have it in RPGs and big-bore guns, but warfare evolution will see much more compact and CC-friendly versions.

It would be an interesting time in war.
>>
>>27797381

Sounds like a Space Marine vs Imperial Guard 40k scenario to me.

Have you tried any of the Dawn of War series, or even the tabletop game?
>>
>>27796481
So THAT's what the Gatling Laser looks like now? Cool.
>>
>>27801879
>why don't E cups wear A cup sized bras? it'll save them money
flesh will only compress so far senpai

>>27801887
>>27801814
because modern combat is more complicated than that? its not just some game of roshambo. yeah, any goat fucker with an RPG can down a chopper or tank, but guess what? we still deploy them. either on the off chance that the same unit will be encountered or because they'll steam roll anyone not equipped with man portable rockets. same thing for PA

hell, don't forget the logistical ripples introducing power armor will create. if nation X has it then Y and Z will want it too. that means resources to acquire their own and measures to counter it. Keeping up with the Joneses has destroyed many a nation in the past
>>
>>27802046
I like the Old Man's War way better:
Take old people, 75 year olds who could die any day anyways, and slot their minds into genetically augmented "perfect" (as in supermodel looks versions of themselves when young) clones of themselves with superhuman strength, endurance, chlorophyll-based photosynthesis skin pigmentation, nanomachine blood that can carry enough oxygen that you can stay underwater several minutes before it becomes hard to hold your breath, an in-brain personal computer that also acts as weapon control and safety, and natural nightvision. Then give them a bodysuit that provides little effective protection but can act as a space suit, and a rifle that can repurpose its nano-block ammo to fire the optimum round and even fire explosives and energy bursts.
>>
>>27802197
You can use compression wraps to get even a huge chest pretty flat, anon.
>>
>>27802218
...and he said "I'm gonna need about tree fiddy."
>>
>>27802218
>Scalzi

At the very least talk about a pro-gun author on this board. And maybe harder scifi, since Scalzboy likes to play fast and loos with his own rules.
>>
>>27801778
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

This is now a Battletech thread. Dragoons improvise.
>>
>>27796731
meh, it was good. the manga was good too- they're both good. conveying a story within volumes of manga vs a 2-3 hour time slot. yeah, you're going have to detract from the written story to fit that time.
>>
>>27803027
You're forgetting the novella. EOT is essentially an adaptation of an adaptation.
>>
>>27796481
I could see it being good for an urban combat scenario due to not being as slow and easy to get bogged as a tank but being armored enough to take small arms fire.
>>
File: Elementalgirl.jpg (98 KB, 600x840) Image search: [Google]
Elementalgirl.jpg
98 KB, 600x840
>>27802919
>no elemental gf

why live senpai?
>>
>>27803052
Fuck yea battletech
>>
>>27803052
>tfw you'll never be a Northwind Highlander
>tfw you'll never get all those data cores

why live?
>>
>>27802197
>because modern combat is more complicated than that? its not just some game of roshambo...
>...which is why we need powerarmor!
10/10 thought process there. why send a light armored vehicle mounting a heavy weapon or keep a helicopter idling in the region when you can just have a guy in a metal suit resistant to some rifle fire walk around at 4mph with a machinegun, then wait outside because the ceiling to muhammad's mud hut is too low.
>>
>>27796481
The price of a bullet/gun capable of wrecking the armor will always be considerably lower than the price of the armor. Therefore I doubt a real power armor for combat will ever be developed.
Maybe a small exoskelet to enhance strenght or speed.
>>
>>27803424
>like tanks or ships or planes

god damn are you retarded
>>
>>27803968
>this delusional
power armor isn't going to happen m8

it does everything a LAV does, only shittier.
>can't carry soldiers
>can't protect soldiers from enemy fire
>limited to human speeds
>limited ammo capacity; take a crew served weapon and place it on one guy... then scratch your head when you wonder how the fuck can he load up a fresh belt on a M2 browning by himself while holding it, or where he'd carry it if he could.
>pretty much impossible to make them RPG resistant conventionally like a LAV
shitposting about powerarmor is like shitposting about tanks with legs. The concept is inferior to mundane reality everywhere but science fiction.

>inb4 a half-2ton mech suit will be able to clear mud huts... or houses with basements... or multistory buildings.
>>
>>27804119
>he actually wrote this post
>>
>>27804130
>damagecontrol.jpg
don't worry, it's not your fault you're retarded.
>>
>>27803424

It's a lot harder for you to hit a big guy WINK then a tank with an ATGM
>>
File: fallout_by_yosio7500.jpg (342 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
fallout_by_yosio7500.jpg
342 KB, 800x600
We will get there eventually, the issues we face now are power and weight. The tech isnt quite there for either of those things.

But...

Sooooon.. ish...
>>
>>27804194
and it's a lot easier for an 80 year old mine to turn a guy in a man sized suit of lvIV rifle plate into a fleshsack full of broken bones and pressure ruptured organs

besides, you think it'd be hard for the durkas, let alone a conventional military, to field light vehicles with ATGW systems or simple heavy machineguns to make it unsafe to operate these within an area?
>>
>>27797381
Silent Storm kinda did that, WW2 with infantry vs nazis in power armor
>>
Hey guys remember when all the armchair generals in WW1 insisted that tanks were useless because :

>too expensive
>we already have cavalry
>not reliable enough
>can be disabled by a single man with a anti-tank rifle
>can be taken out by artillery
>too slow
>what if it gets stuck in no mans land

Funny how the same arguments are rehased everytime a new weapon system is discussed huh
>>
>>27796481
powered armor could certainly be useful and we should develop it or bipedal drones asap. imagine being able to mount 1/2 inch ar500 literally all over your body.

mechs on the other hand? unless we are fighting on the moon, theres no way that that amount of energy consumption would be effective. whatever you have that you think belongs on a 2-4 story tall bipedal robot, you can put a larger version of it on tracks/ac130 and it can still go everywhere
>>
>>27798598
>less stressed out soldiers
>adrenaline
>less stress

that's not how any of this works
>>
File: Tancikvz.33.jpg (84 KB, 737x530) Image search: [Google]
Tancikvz.33.jpg
84 KB, 737x530
>>27804455
Tanks weren't a shittier version of something else. In this case, "muh powerarmor" is a dogshit version of an armored vehicle.

The irony goes even deeper, since one man tankettes bearing heavy weapons were tested and developed for decades after the great war and were quite popular in the interwar years for the very reasons people think we need powerarmor, only with more utility. And we know how that panned out in the end.

Long before Fallout style powerarmor is ever developed, we'd see the return of tankettes; Most likely as drones.

Honestly an ATV sized one man/remote infantry support vehicle with a self loading anti vehicle rifle/cannon and coaxial machinegun could prove useful. It's advantages over bipedal powerarmor
>even the post WWI ones had a speed of 30+ mph and a range of 100+ miles without refueling
modern ones would be quite competent; ranges of hundreds of miles and speeds on open ground in excess of 50mph
>infantry could ride them like the ruskies "infantry armor" in a pinch
>could be fitted with conventional anti RPG measures
>shaped underbelly to keep the driver from being liquified by a IED or anti tank mine like a guy traipsing around in a suit of armor
>significant armor that easily would be resistant to heavy machinegun and light cannonfire
>much easier to develop and can use existing systems
>universal mounting points for various weapons systems

a few of those Humvee replacements full of guys being flanked by two tankettes mounting surface to air rockets and ATGMs would be a rape train of 100% American Fuck you.
>>
>>27804628
As far as top brass were concerned in WWI, tanks were a support unit, which they considered covered by cavalry and long-range artillery. You guys are looking at this all wrong anyway. Power armor shouldn't be used for long-term support, they should be used as shock troopers. Plop them down in the middle of an enemy-occupied urban area and let them lay waste before anyone realizes.
>>
>>27804628
>implying people back then didnt think tanks were a shittier version of cavalry
>>
>>27804628
>Infantryman that people need a large IED or RPG to kill
>Not useful.

I think you are confusing powered combat armor for something like a giant robot. One hundred kilos of armor, on something the size of a man, could resist anything lighter then a 20mm cannon and would require only a dozen kilowatts of power, easily provided by a microturbine.

A 20 kilowatt microturbine and hundred kilos of armor on a 'tankett' would give you a platform with minimal capability.
>>
>>27804719
no anon, no.
>drop an unsupported military asset into a active war zone full to the brim of the last 100 years of anti armor weapons
>just like Halo Bruh!

>>27804765
is that what passes for early modern history in public school today?

>>27804799
1 square meter of 1/4" steel weighs 47kg
the human body has an average surface area of 3 square meters
add a suit around a human form and the surface area that needs to be covered goes up exponentially

100kg of armor could stop non AP battle rifle rounds and nothing higher and only would cover ~1/3 of the suit

>could resist anything lighter than 20mm cannon
top fucking kek a cursory internet search to supplant your complete lack of material science background would tell you how fucking stupid that statement is.

>easily provided by a microturbine
microturbines are more efficient than gas turbines, but what you are describing is fucking laughable.

the current DARPA exoskeleton is externally tethered to a very large diesel generator. using a gas turbine 75% of the size doesn't solve it's power problem.

>all to reinvent the wheel regarding light armored vehicles cuz muh vidya
>>
>>27804886
Yep, that's why the raid on Bin Laden's compount went so poorly, because deep insertions are a terrible idea all the time.

Captcha: NO
>>
>>27804886
>not knowing how much resistance tanks encountered when they were first introduced from all the cavalry officers who insisted they were useless
>not knowing the exact same thing happened with carriers vs battleships in WW2
>>
>>27804886
>>drop an unsupported military asset into a active war zone full to the brim of the last 100 years of anti infantry weapons
>>just like Modern Warfare Bruh!
>>
>>27805001
>lost a stealth helicopter
>compound strike in an ally nation where the most you'd have to worry about is akmeds poker night meaning more durkas around the estate
>the same as going all HALO ORBITAL DROP BRUV

so you put a guy in rifle proof armor and send him in as a shocktrooper... to do what?

kill da bad guys?
clear a town?
how?

in what vidya fueled world do you think a few "shock troopers" will do what a missile strike already accomplishes handily? And barring that, how would a shittier LAV do a better job than combined arms at taking enemy positions.
>bu...
use it once and suddenly the durkas when they dig into a village will start digging 3ftx3ft trenches across every roadway and using even more 14.5×114 mm anti tank rifles and heavy machineguns

>>27805073
>the decline of education.jpg
Cavalry Officers, who had no involvement in the implementation or development of tanks
not the militaries of every western nation who from 1903 on were attempting to build fieldable armored vehicles which were used in WWI to (some) effect by the end of the war.

>>27805083
ESAPI actually stops small arm fire
>>
File: 1274025266523.jpg (84 KB, 720x648) Image search: [Google]
1274025266523.jpg
84 KB, 720x648
Battery technology is not even remotly close to being good enough.

If you keep up with robotics you will notice that any largeish robot is either on a power tether or can only run for literally about 5mins. To honestly run human power armor you are going to have to be able to output 20+ horsepower continuously (probably more than that) the batteries to do that for even a few hours would weigh hundreds of pounds and be physically bigger than the human occupant.

we are decades away from solving this problem, however when the power is there we are at or nearly at the tech levels needed to build the armor with a few years of good funding.

However once you have all that power and tech together along with the computers to go with it, why not just eliminate the human and have someone operate the robot remotely?

this is where air combat is rapidly going, there literally becomes no reason to put a human in the vehicle
>>
>>27805114
Not A GUY, anon, jesus. You'd have a typical 5-8 man insertion team, except 2-4 of them would be in hardsuits. Hardsuits wouldn't be unstoppable god-machines, they'd be mostly rifle-resistant and able to use an LMG like an assault rifle. I'm not talking literal orbital drops, I'm talking helo drops, or at most HAHO/HALO jumps. Quick, dirty behind-the-scenes stuff that never gets to the public.
>>
File: revision power armor.jpg (1 MB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
revision power armor.jpg
1 MB, 1936x2592
>>27804886
>the current DARPA exoskeleton is externally tethered to a very large diesel generator. using a gas turbine 75% of the size doesn't solve it's power problem.
>not knowing about the Lockheed Martin HULC that was released several years ago
>not knowing about DARPA's Warrior Web
>not knowing about Revision's Kinetic Operations Suit
>not knowing about the TALOS program
Jesus anon. Pic related is the Kinetic Operations Suit, it's powered by a turbine that runs on JP8 and can carry XSAPI rated plates (rated to stop at least 2 rounds of 7.62x51mm M993 tungsten carbide core AP ammunition, the next step up from that would be APDS full power rifle ammunition or magnum rifle AP ammunition) covering up to 60% of the soldier's body.

>>27805141
>why not just eliminate the human and have someone operate the robot remotely?
>what is latency
>what is jamming
Every time this gets brought up.
>>
>>27805169
and how does that improve thier combat effectiveness or accomplish thier goal more efficiently to have two guys in Iron Man cosplays shooting .308 at unarmored sandniggers instead of 5.56?

why do you think a suit as comprehensive as the one you think is possible at some magic point where decades of battery improvement get sent back in time to now would be light enough or encompassing enough to bother with for the specific role you are trying to force fit it into. square peg in round hole

>>27805196
>a few hours of battery
>camo sprayjob of the glorified forklift leg braces we've seen promo'd for 5+ years
>bothering with all this, but giving your guy armor that isn't multi strike capable for l33t operating Halo shenanigans
a full IOTV system already defends everything but the lower arms and legs. There is a reason why all military projects regarding exoskeletons are for moving heavy shit and walking father, not supporting a fuckton of armor to be an assault trooper; because that role either is fulfilled by a LAV or normal infantry
>>
>>27805114
>kill da bad guys?
>clear a town?
>how?

i would have him shoot the bad guys with a gun

is this a confusing answer to you?
>>
>>27804886
Why do you idiots keep focusing on steel? There's better stuff on the shelf, and much better stuff in the lab that's been slowly getting closer to production for years. Think CNT-reinforced carbon composites backed by kevlar soaked in sheer-thickening fluid, for starters.

You're not trying to stop a 2"+ HEAT warhead, the idea is to use cover against those; you just want to protect against AK/RPK/VSS/etc.
>>
>>27805300
so no answer as to why powerarmor provides a tactical advantage compared to normal combined arms or just airstriking the fuck out of a dug in position.

is it morning in australia or something? this thread is getting a second wind of middleschool tier shitposting
>>
>>27805320
>JUST CARPETBOMB EVERYTHING. CARPETBOMBS AND HELLFIRE DRONES SOLVE EVERYTHING!
>>
>>27805196
>>>27805141
>>why not just eliminate the human and have someone operate the robot remotely?
>>what is latency
>>what is jamming
>Every time this gets brought up.

latency is solved by having the operator under 5000 miles away and using a military grade connection, not suburban dsl

>jamming

50 robot troops operating together would probably be a lot more reliable than a bunch of faggot humans who need 3 guys to carry one of them out just for breaking an ankle

in point of fact just leaving and self destroying the robot would be cheaper than flying home some wounded guy who is going to claim ptsd and suckle at the goverment welfare teat for the next 50 years
>>
>>27805320

the powerarmor lets the human carry more weapons and ammo for a longer period of time while not straining his body while doing so and would allow new tatics to be developed such as literally punching and smaching things while on a raid which is not good practice now as you would hurt yourself and can't really do much damage with your bare hand anyway

once it was available whole new worlds of combat would open up that are not obvious right now
>>
>>27805315
because if we rely on maguffins instead of existing steel and composite armors with known penetration characteristics then this thread might as well be a /v/ circlejerk.

if we had everything necessary to make Iron Patriot suits for infantry grunts, then that'd be fucking cool and a tactical advantage, but here in the real world we don't and existing conventional technology does the role it'd fulfill better.

it all comes back to the simple fact "why do we need a bipedal mech suit"
same question that can't be answered regarding "why do we need bipedal military robots"

tracked and flying drones of a less elegant, but more efficient design>Elesium/chappie robots/mechs
>>
>>27805347
Wow, you are a tremendous piece of shit. Not only did you go full NUKE THE CUBE in >>27805320, now you're calling injured troops freeloaders. Good job, bud. You just keep digging this hole deeper.
>>
>>27805369
>advantages of multi billion dollar mech project
>you can punch generic middle eastern enemies instead of shooting them or buttstroking them
>maguffins!

you have to be 18 to post here

>>27805374
we're actively air striking ISIS held villages as we speak. But you know better and all we need to do is HALO drop power armor troops into small villages half a world away. If only the military listened to your rich and valuable introspection on the issue of applying vidoegame tactics to real warfare.
>two people call you dumb as you shitpost
>hurr samefag!
it might just be that your steaming hot opinions are not shared m8
>>
>>27805374

the point being as far as cost and reliability a human body is not very fucking reliable and can be injured easily as compared to a robot "jamming" and leaving a piece of broken equipment on the battle field is cheaper than paying for the human for the rest of his life

have you ever seen the "injured" guys from iraq

literally all they do is bitch and moan about ptsd and get paid by the government forever

it's honestly sad
>>
>>27805416
>>you can punch generic middle eastern enemies instead of shooting them or buttstroking them

yes anon having super strength would be of no advantage

better to be weaker to be honest

we should probably send prepubescent females to do most of the fighting
>>
File: 1422688186285.jpg (219 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1422688186285.jpg
219 KB, 720x960
>>27805374

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE HERO
>>
>>27805347
Wow, calling a wounded soldier a freeloader...

That's low man, that's low, even by 4chan standards.

Besides, how effective are robotic troops? Having a machine gun on tracks isn't going to get you very far.
EMPs and jamming could easily wipe out your 50 robos. Not to mention robots don't think like humans, nor are they adaptable.
>>
>>27805416
In not talking about now, I was never talking about now. We don't know what the future of warfare holds. It will likely hold a lot of drones, but the fact is, war is partially a ritual of sacrifice, and because of that, I doubt humans will ever be completely out of the equation. At that point, you may as well compare GDP and decide a winner there and then, because it's just money you're throwing at each other.

Do you seriously not see the benefits of being able to have one soldier do the work of 5?
>>
>>27805443
Good post. Thanks for your contribution.

Seriously, what are you even trying to say with this godawful waste of a post?
>>
>>27805451
>In not talking about now, I was never talking about now. We don't know what the future of warfare holds. It will likely hold a lot of drones, but the fact is, war is partially a ritual of sacrifice, and because of that, I doubt humans will ever be completely out of the equation. At that point, you may as well compare GDP and decide a winner there and then, because it's just money you're throwing at each other.

both sides would not be allowed to take humans out of the equation anon

one side would use it's robots to ultimately get to the other side's humans and kill them until they as a group surrender
>>
>>27805461

thank you for your service
>>
>>27805446
Just as important: the reason we'll probably never use robots in any position where they make the kill decision is because there are rules about when it's right to not kill.
>>
>>27804628
Instead of a bunch of little tanks, why not one super large one?
>>
>>27805433
>super strength
the super strength to carry full protection from smallarms and your batteries for your 15min-1hour runtime.

>>27805451
>Argument To The Future: Arguing that someday, evidence will be discovered to justify your conclusion.

followed up by the assertion that a man in this future "armor" that solves all the tactical and engineering issues with the concept is "doing the work of 5 men"
>>
File: 1430074780296.jpg (373 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1430074780296.jpg
373 KB, 1920x1080
>>27805486
>Just as important: the reason we'll probably never use robots in any position where they make the kill decision is because there are rules about when it's right to not kill.

yeah never,

we would not dare to even begin going down that road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXPrfnU3G0
>>
>>27803052
Hot.
>>
>>27805507

i don't think the internet will ever become a thing either

why not just call someone or write them a letter?

> going to go out and buy a computer i can only use to talk to other people who have computers

get real anon, it's not practical
>>
File: digging it deeper.jpg (89 KB, 418x287) Image search: [Google]
digging it deeper.jpg
89 KB, 418x287
>>27805532
>Argument To The Future: Arguing that someday, evidence will be discovered to justify your conclusion.
>>
>>27805511
Trigger was pulled by a human. Also, wasn't /k/ in full damage control mode over the fact that the collateral was completely justifiable just a few weeks ago?

>>27805507
I must admit, you got me there. I did use a fallacy. I still think a smaller, more efficient, more durable army would be better than a larger, less efficient, squishy one.

Also, I should have mentioned: the design docs for TALOS want a true, sealed powered armor. It's probably not going to happen that way, but even the military thinks its an admirable goal.
>>
>>27805543
>Trigger was pulled by a human

so just remote operate the powerarmor
>>
>>27805553
>Latency
>EMP

We covered this already, anon. you can protect the inner workings from EMP, but not the comms equipment.
>>
>>27805562
so now we have people detonating airburst nukes over thier own country to potentially knock out EMP hardened transmission equipment for a few seconds?
>>
>>27805587
That's not the only way to cause comm failure and you know it.

I will admit I used the wrong word there.
>>
>>27805562

if EMPs were so effective our drone aircraft would not be lurking over several sovereign nations right now with near impunity smoking faggots from the air while having basically no defense

if you can't EMP a drone flying over your country how are you going to EMP robots on your city streets?
>>
>>27805597
signal hopping has been around for a long time
>>
>>27796481
Yes, anyone who says otherwise is either unaware of the last 10-15 years of technological advances (for example, saying that it will have to use steel for armor instead of the multi hit ceramic plates that soldiers have been using for about a decade), thinks it has to protect the soldier from everything instead of just small arms fire (these people also normally claim that large,heavy anti vehicle weapons could be deployed in large quantities and be just as effective against a soldier in power armor as an assault rifle is against current soldiers), thinks it has to fill the same roll as various armored vehicles, or any combination of those. It doesn't have to make soldiers invulnerable, it just has to be better than what soldiers currently get.
>>
>>27805347
>latency is solved by having the operator under 5000 miles away and using a military grade connection, not suburban dsl
Which is why people flying current drones have to deal with a few seconds of lag? Protip: anything relying on a satellite connection is going to be laggy as fuck. If you want a low latency, reliable connection to your drone soldiers you are going to need line of sight communication and that isn't going to be cheap and will leave major points of failure.
>>
>>27805664
it has to provide a tactical advantage, the one thing /v/fags like you can never offer without fallacies and the circular logic that once we build it we'll find a use because "it HAS to have a use right... right? ;_;"
>>
>>27796481
IRL modern day power armor is designed to improve a soldier's mobility by reducing fatigue

FO power armor is retarded

would real power armor be useful? of course. Would FO power armor be useful? fuck no
>>
>>27805700
The tactical advantage is a general stat increase. Faster, stronger, longer, more durable. You can get more men in and out than you otherwise would.
>>
File: warrior.png (277 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
warrior.png
277 KB, 512x512
>>27805493
maybe if it had some kind of drone bay or something to protect it from the air
>>
>>27805717
>none of the goals of the TALOS program
>stat increases
so /v/ it hurts
>>
>>27805749
>Faster
TALOS, you can carry more gear at an equivalent speed
>Stronger
for now it's just the legs, but I'd bet the arms are on the way as well
>Longer
Again, the load-bearing exo-legs enable less fatigue for a longer time
>More durable
Experimental 7.62-rated armor plates are a part of every TALOS design.
>>
>>27805700
>allowing a soldier to carry more armor, ammo, and gear
>not a tactical advantage
A soldier that has 60% of their body covered in rifle plates that can take multiple hits of anything that doesn't cost several dollars a round is a massive tactical advantage, being able to carry a significantly more ammo combined with programs to develop lighter weight ammunition like the LSAT program that and a rifle where the barrel could be easily changed out could allow any rifleman to stand in for an automatic rifleman and would be a massive tactical advantage, being able to carry the weight of an XM25 (which is going to start being issued late 2016 early 2017) + a decent amount of ammo + a rifle is a significant tactical advantage, being able to carry more ammo for heavy weapons is a significant tactical advantage. Please explain how this isn't useful.
>>
>>27805493
you,i like you.
>>
>>27798831
Except we barely fucking understand the body and the complex processes the brain controls in order to prevent ourselves from accidentally fucking killing ourselves you fucking idiot.

And no, giving boosts of adrenaline is incredibly fucking bad, at best you get a fucking heart attack, at worst, it does nothing. And whats worst is that if you accidentally over dose the soldier, they fucking die and you can do nothing as their body cooks alive all the way down to the core where their heart is tearing itself apart.

Second, if the brain realizes its fucking up that bad, then its going to shut down your adrenaline glands, throwing everything to shit.

And third, a continuous stream of adrenaline is enough to kill you yet again because its a fucking hormone. If you keep releasing short bursts over prolonged periods of time, your body will further and further KILL ITSELF by releasing more hormones because your brain believes you're well beyond mortal danger, at which point you may start pushing your natural limiters that prevent your muscles and bones from fucking tearing themselves apart.

You don't overclock the body in any such way. Replacing muscle and limbs with machine? Its possible. Using nano machines to aid the body using drugs and quite far into the future, aiding the body, quite. Cloning tissue to regrow limbs far stronger than what was had before, within the next decade. Overclocking the body will destroy it like it does a computer.
>>
>>27805783
the word you're looking for is "exertion"
>longer
battery tech just isn't there and it won't be for a long, long time
>more durable
no, more coverage.

stop thinking /v/ m8

>>27805811
10+ years of war with 6000 military deaths across all services during 2 conflicts starting 2 body armor systems ago

all that shit's neat if it didn't need a diesel generator attached to it for a runtime not measured in minutes.
>>
>>27805880
>Battery

see
>>27805196
>>
>>27805880
>all that shit's neat if it didn't need a diesel generator attached to it for a runtime not measured in minutes.
The Revision Kinetic Operator Exoskeleton runs off a small coke bottle size turbine that runs on JP8 and can't even be heard unless you're in the same room, why shouldn't that be used instead of batteries? The individual components are already here, they just need to be combined into a working system.
>>
>>27798418
>have to train to properly use a bow.
>need em mass shooting to be viable
>limited about of ammo.
>slow rate of fire, when a sword can kill faster.

Plus this armor is bad ass.
>>
>>27805946
Tell all that to the dead French Aristocracy at Crecy.
>>
>>27804628
Reading this post gave me an idea. An idea that filled me with incredible, almost uncromhendible horror.

In the depths. Miles beneath the pentagon, there was a top secret intelligence agency performing operations of the highest importance.

Spying on /k/.

Not to prevent mass shootings or illegal sales or modifications to firearms that would render them in violation of the law. Nay.

Research and Development.

When our reptilian overlords spew forth from the abyss, they will be riding ATV tanks from our very own nightmares!

lol. beer.
>>
File: ENVG-FWS-release-image.jpg (2 MB, 4800x2700) Image search: [Google]
ENVG-FWS-release-image.jpg
2 MB, 4800x2700
>>27805880
>>27805917
Hell, I bet you'd say that having a crosshair appear on a soldier's HUD to tell them where they are aiming is just something in video games and isn't something that is actually being issued now.
>>
>>27797268
yo-ho
>>
>>27802013
please cryosleep me until badass power armor is the norm and we go around blasting/raping xenos.
>>
File: psq-20-envg-003.jpg (73 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
psq-20-envg-003.jpg
73 KB, 1200x800
>>27805880
>>27805994
Hell, we're issuing things now that people would bitch non stop about if they were put into video games, pic related is the same hybrid night vision/thermal monocular set to a mode where it outlines heat signatures above a certain threshold. The US military is tossing around the idea of combining it with a HUD so that soldiers can have similar capabilities during the day.
>>
>>27806030
Forgot to say, this pic is a few years old and that version of the ENVG has since been replaced with one where the FLIR portion covers the entire field of vision instead of that smaller rectangle.
>>
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 734x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 734x768
>>27801736
I see they went with the fantasy rpg method of chest protection.
>>
>>27797916
Oh really? When?
>>
I love how this thread is going full circle, from "hey guys what if?"
to
"actually, there's this"
to
"No there's not that shit doesnt work
to
hours of arguing back and forth
to
"There's actually bigger bullshit in use right now than exolegs"
>>
File: 1422725342207.gif (80 KB, 223x199) Image search: [Google]
1422725342207.gif
80 KB, 223x199
>>27806009
you and me both
>>
>>27799030
Jeez that's some posts.
>>
File: 2gore4me.png (24 KB, 684x737) Image search: [Google]
2gore4me.png
24 KB, 684x737
>>27805811
>>27806030
>the year is 2025
>be insurgent in Durkadurkastan
>lying in wait to ambush some soldiers
>suddenly come under fire
>they spotted us first because of the advanced sensors they're now carrying
>can barely get shots off at them because all of them are laying down heavy suppressing fire
>the few shots we can get off are stopped by their armor even if they do hit
>Ahmed can't hit them with his RPG because they're inaccurate as fuck even if he is actually aiming
>they start firing air burst grenades and getting us even when we're behind cover
>get the choice of running while under fire and hoping you don't get shot or sitting behind cover and hoping they didn't see where you hid to fire a grenade at you
>just kidding, they maneuver anyways and kill or capture you if you chose to hide instead of run
nope
>>
>>27797231
>Power armor
>AR style rifle
This is tragically likely
>>
>>27805880
>power supplies will never advance
>tanks are useless, who wants tanks that can only move 20 kph? theres no way engine tech will ever advance
>>
File: Halo_-_First_Strike.jpg (35 KB, 290x475) Image search: [Google]
Halo_-_First_Strike.jpg
35 KB, 290x475
this is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83FP3nRKECc
>>
>>27806284
hop off turbo nerd's dick and think about all of those augments they had.
>>
File: zaku.jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
zaku.jpg
6 KB, 225x225
>>27806320
I could care less about the nerd, but the expert had some great points, like having a shirt to protect the mid section. So say, if we make a Zaku into a human suit it could be ideal.
>>
>>27806174
haha it would be hilarious if the guys in power armor use swords and maces instead of guns.
>>
>>27806236
Meh, switch to AR-10s, use AP, boom, there ya go.
>>
>>27806338
but what's the point of it when you can just blast the fuck out of it with apaches?
>>
>>27806355
if you scaled down a zaku into a small suit, it would have more protection than master chiefs armor.
>>
>>27805742
>Bolo needing support
Top kek
> Hellbore ammunition consists of slivers of highly pressurized frozen deuterium which, when fired, are ignited (by a laser) in a fusion reaction. The resulting bolt is contained and directed using strong magnetic fields in the breech and barrel. The resulting plasma travels at a considerable fraction of light speed and is not affected by planetary gravity. However, since the Hellbore was designed as naval armament for Concordiat warships, modifications had to be made to avoid losing a significant portion of the shot's energy to atmospheric attenuation. To this end, a fraction of a second prior to deuterium detonation, a laser is fired along the path of the bolt to create a momentary vacuum. Later Bolo marks are capable of internally manufacturing Hellbore rounds, using water as a raw material, whereby the deuterium isotope of hydrogen is separated and cooled cryogenically into splinters of frozen hydrogen.
But, yeah, some of the later ones had tank and jet drones
>>
>>27805372
Protip: Composite armors with known penetration characteristics are lighter than steel for the same level of protection.

So, why do you keep bringing up the weight of steel as a reason why an armored exoskeleton will never be practical?

Nevermind, of course, the stuff that has already been demonstrated in the lab, and is just not being mass-produced yet.

No vibranium needed.
>>
File: 1438793424892.jpg (119 KB, 654x600) Image search: [Google]
1438793424892.jpg
119 KB, 654x600
>>27805372
>because if we rely on maguffins instead of existing steel and composite armors
>ceramic plates that soldiers are currently issued are maguffins
>>
>>27806236
Probably LSAT with a caseless intermediate round. That's the point to switch from 5.56mm.
>>
File: Supersoldaten 1946.jpg (294 KB, 1080x608) Image search: [Google]
Supersoldaten 1946.jpg
294 KB, 1080x608
>>27799030
Kinda like the Supersoldaten in Wolfenstein?
>>
>>27801904

>yfw that it was a suit for Peter Weller and given time and micro joints, makes sense as the first armors given to police.

If this would ever be the case in the US, I'm not sure I'd leave the house.
>>
>>27796551
This. At least not until the distant future.

>>27796597
As it is, and as I think it will be in the near future, will be more "assistance" based than "enhancement" based. That's not a perfect way to describe it, but for example you could run longer with more weight on you with assistance type exoskeleton, but it will be a while until we have the capability to widely produce true "enhancement" type exo's.
>>
>>27796859
>Bring that floor to you.
I like your thinking
>>
>>27805811
>That open nack of the neck.
That is just begging to be shot by a sniper.
>>
>>27799388
Battle angel alita was oce a good manga now it turned to a fighting manga with sci fi setting
>>
>>27805320

no because if it was the shitposting of australians, it wouldn't be middleschool tier
>>
>>27805493
Same probelm as the german Maus Panzer.
Too heavy to cross bridges !
>>
>>27796481
Power armor could only really fill the roll of going where a tank cannot, like inside buildings for example. I would imagine it would excel in cqc. It would be downright terrifying indoors.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 67

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.