[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /k/. I recently turned 21 and would like to get my CPL. I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: XD9802HCSP06_3.jpg (1 MB, 1986x1500) Image search: [Google]
XD9802HCSP06_3.jpg
1 MB, 1986x1500
Hi /k/. I recently turned 21 and would like to get my CPL. I'm an experienced shooter, but I'm no expert on handguns. What would be a good fun for EDC, to keep in my vehicle, etc? I'm looking more for reliability, quality, and stopping power rather than concealability. My budget is around $800, but any money I can save would be funneled towards the price of a good holster and extra mags.

Currently I'm looking at the Springfield XD-40, it was recommended to me by a family member and seems to be an all around great weapon. Pic related.

Thanks for your help /k/.
>>
Bump for knowledge
>>
>reliability
>quality
>stopping power

hate to say this, but a glock 23 or 27 will fit the bill nicely

if you really dont give a fud about concealability, just get a full sized pistol
>>
File: 1446263287292.jpg (37 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
1446263287292.jpg
37 KB, 630x630
>>27791765
Get a Glock 20. Comes with 3 15 round mags unless you live in a communist state. Will run you around $500-$600 out the door depending on the dealer and the deal you can get. The extra $200-$300 you can get a nice holster and extra mags, and food for your new friend. It's in 10mm so you're not going to find more power for your money in a pistol. Reliable, affordable, and it will drop anything you make it go bang at. I carry one most days myself and it's one of the best pistols on the market for what it's designed for and in its price range. In my opinion.
>>
>>27793973
You actually CC a Glock 20?
>>
>>27791765
Do you have big hands? I have big hands. And I recently discovered grip is EVERYTHING.

A paper-thin carry gun is something you simply won't be able to shoot well if you're like me. Granted, I'm not practiced and really should be, but slapping Hogue's bulbous Sig P938 grips on that gun basically turned it into a new gun for me. It went from profoundly uncomfortable and hard to shoot, to immensely fun and scoring tiny groups.

And of course, trying out my father's pancake-flat XDS9 drove me nuts because the grip just did not fill my hands, and I was contorting my hand muscles in all kinds of weird ways to maintain my point of aim while applying trigger pressure.

Point is, if you're got big hands, consider a double-stack gun with a wide grip, or a single-stack gun with ergo grips like the CCP. The XD-40 might actually be right up your alley.

If you have small hands, ignore me.
>>
>>27793998
I use a shoulder rig. Makes it alot easier and I find it more comfortable and the wight is distributed better. Only down side is if I get hot and have it and my jakets on in doors I have to deal. Other than that yeah. No problems. Plus I've got big hands so compacts and subcompacts don't really fit well in my hands.
>>
>>27792433
any downsides to a glock? ive shot one a few times but thats about i. I really want one but they almost seem too hyped up and i wonder if its worth all the chatter
>>
For what it's worth the FBI switched back to 9mm for reasons you can Google. not saying to change your mind. I like shooting my USP 40, just that for me I can buy three boxes of nine over 2 boxes of forty. Therefore a glock will usually be the one to come out with me.
>>
>>27794470

I've got a 17 and a new 43. They ain't perfect but they are reliable. And simple.
>>
>>27794470
>double action only
>polymer frame

those the main downsides for me. they are opinion based; some people think those are positives. personally i prefer a heavier, single action automatic, or at least a da/sa that can be carried in condition 1
>>
>>27794470
A Glock is the AK of pistols. They're not the fanciest thing on the planet but they're easy to learn and can tolerate abuse like a redheaded step child. They get the job done and are reliable as fuck.
>>
>>27791765
Not Croatian crap, not .40 short n' weak.
>>
>>27794598
The FBI is switching back to 9mm because of glass wristed faggot who can't tolerate the .40 short and weak. They were originally going to use 10mm but they downgraded to the .40 for the same reason they're going back to 9mm, glass wristed faggots. Sure, the .40 and 9mm can still do the job but they lack the sheer knockdown power of the 10mm or a .45.
>>
>>27795190
No, because .40 sw's terminal ballistics are shit.
>>
>>27795209
>>27795190
Modern metallurgy techniques have mitigated any significant difference between premium 9mm, .40S&W and .45

.40S&W causes more wear, which translates to more cost.
>>
OP here. Not to sound like a bitch but 10mm is too much fun for me, I feel like that's far too much recoil for a mag dump to be very effective. Is 9mm therefore what I should look at or should I just practice more at handling the recoil of larger calibers?
>>
>>27795429
If 9mm wont kill it you should look into a rifle, or a 44mag+ revolver.
>>
>>27795190
No, the FBI is switching back to 9mm because a 9mm hollowpoint expands on impact and stays in the body, whereas a .40 can easily overpenetrate and go straight through, which in a situation where there may be civilians behind the target is a bad idea.
>>
>>27795489
No.
9mm penetrates better then .40, .40 comminly under penetrates, just making a flesh wound.
>>
>>27793973
This is exactly what I plan to do when I turn 21.

No compromises!!!
>>
>>27794074
>>27795780 here.

THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS!
>>
File: 1445406661163.jpg (26 KB, 599x398) Image search: [Google]
1445406661163.jpg
26 KB, 599x398
>>27795429
Glock 20 guy again. All memes and jokes aside, yes 9mm will get the job done and kill whatever you are shooting at dead. In the world of guns shot placement is king and if you need less recoil to better accomplish this then going with the 9mm over the 10mm or .45 because it's too much for you is fine. I'd still recommend a Glock in 9mm wither the 17 or the 19 or even the Beretta M9. Both are reliable with high mag capacity and very manageable recoil. Hope that helped OP.
>>
>>27795780
>>27795793
Good on ya fellow /k/ommandos. Mine has never failed me and I've put probably 6,000 or so rounds through it in the last 2 years. If you know how to CC a full size and find a holster and carry position that works for you then you'll be fine. Just be sure you can control the recoil and maintain good shot placement. All the knockdown power in the world won't help you if you can't accurately hit your targets.
>>
>>27795190
>knockdown power
If you shoot something and expect it to fall down, how come you don't go falling down as well?
>>
File: 1446271591651.jpg (69 KB, 600x657) Image search: [Google]
1446271591651.jpg
69 KB, 600x657
>>27796614
If I shoot something and get a vital organ and or CBS hit in addition to the kinetic energy transfer yes I expect my target to hit the ground, and a more powerful cartridge thus has a higher chance of accomplishing this more quickly and with fewer hits. So yes knockdown power is a thing all though several factors are involved. That a good enough explanation for you autismo?
>>
>>27796748
*CNS. Goddamn autocorrect.
>>
>>27796427
Thank you, that was helpful. I'm going to start looking at 9mm. As >>27794074 brought up, I actually have very small hands (I'm 5'6"). So thanks for the input.
>>
>>27797111
Glad I can help. Anything I can do to add to the ranks of the /k/ommando force and get another pro gun responsible individual into shooting and self defense is a good day.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.