[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Alaska-class >firepower in-between heavy cruisers and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: USS Alaska.jpg (101 KB, 792x495) Image search: [Google]
USS Alaska.jpg
101 KB, 792x495
>Alaska-class
>firepower in-between heavy cruisers and battleships
>less armored than a battleship
>faster than a battleship
>USN calls them "large cruisers"
>public at large calls them battlecruisers
>historians call them battlecruisers
>rest of world refers to ships w/ similar qualities as battlecruisers
>except for Nips and their unfinished "super cruisers"

Tell me /k/, are "large cruisers" really a thing or are they just battlecruisers with a shiny new American name slapped on them?
>>
Well British battlecruisers had battleship-tier firepower with inferior armor.
German battlecruisers had battleship-tier protection but smaller guns.
Kirovs were called battlecruisers.
Call it whatever the hell you want.
>>
>>27789000
When you say German battlecruisers, are you including the planned ones they had in WWII that they never built or are you just considering their WWI ones?

Additionally w/ the Brits is that only the case w/ their WWI ones, I was under the impression the HMS Hood was originally classified as a battlecruiser but was later just considered a fast-battleship like the Kongo-class was after their modernizations.
>>
America is autistics. Its like everybody knows of chinese superiority only America cannot accept.
>>
Dunkerque says hi.
>>
>>27788926
Alaskas are not battlecruisers because of their armor scheme, not armament.
>>
>>27790337
What's unique about the Alaskas armor scheme?
>>
>>27790348
It uses 100% pure Freedomium.
>>
>>27790348
It's armored like a cruiser, not battlecruiser.
>>
>>27790384
I don't suppose you could go into more detail about what that entails?
>>
>>27790391
No underwater protection, less side protection, basically less of existing protection and some areas not protected that would've been on a battlecruiser.
>>
File: USS_Guam_deck_view.jpg (2 MB, 2117x1503) Image search: [Google]
USS_Guam_deck_view.jpg
2 MB, 2117x1503
It was built with the same purpose in mind as the original battlecruisers; to hunt down and sink the cruisers of the previous generation. In my mind that makes it as close to a battlecruiser as the US has ever built.
>>
Out of curiosity, how would people here classify the B-65 supercruisers?
>>
It's hard to fanboy over the Alaska class. They might be fun in a game later on, but that's about it.
>>
>>27790075
Ching chong plx go
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.