[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the point of using the safety on a hunting rifle?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 3
File: this is my safety.jpg (20 KB, 640x362) Image search: [Google]
this is my safety.jpg
20 KB, 640x362
What's the point of using the safety on a hunting rifle? If you follow the 4 rules of gun safety, a mechanical safety is unnecessary. If you don't, then you shouldn't be handling a gun in the first place.
>>
>>27788837
WHAT IF a twig gets caught in the trigger guard, and WHAT IF it's aimed at someone at that moment. A mechanical safety shouldn't bother you anyway, leave it on.
>>
>>27788837
>If you follow the 4 rules of gun safety, a mechanical safety is unnecessary
Sure, that's why most firearms have mechanicall safeties dumbass
>>
>>27788860
>WHAT IF it's aimed at someone at that moment
Then you'd be violating rule 2.
>WHAT IF a twig gets caught in the trigger guard
That may be worth worrying about when crawling through thick brush, but not under normal circumstances.
>>
Safety in redundancy is always an admirable goal, if only to protect from mistakes or ineptitude. Any way to avoid MDs is good.
>>
>>27788876
No, most firearms have mechanical safeties because people (especially Americans) are hysterical about the idea of safety.
>>
>>27788882
The more redundant safety features a weapon has, the less efficient it is as a weapon. As Jeff Cooper put it, a weapon made safe is a weapon made useless.
>>
>>27788877
>judging what normal circumstances are by his normal circumstances

Please you no bush crawling pleb.
>>
>>27788837
never underastimate safety
>>
>he's never dropped a gun climbing into a tree stand
>>
>>27788889
There's a far cry between a bullet button and a mechanical safety. One is a pointless nuisance that does nothing to help anyone, the other is a deliberate choice to avoid shooting yourself.
>>
>>27788884
>everything ever that is wrong in the world or worth getting petty over started and continued with Americans.
Why does this meme persist?

I know this is the eternal bait thread but I'd be careful buddy. Faggots take everything with a grain of salt.
>>
>>27788877
People sweep themselves ALL the fucking time, it's inevitable, but if youre just bench shooting alone, sure you don't need to engage it.
>>27788889
A weapon going off whenever is also useless.
>>27788895
I haven't but this is a good point.
>>
>>27788921
But it's true. Americans are hysterical about safety. Products sold to Americans are loaded down with safety features, the necessity of which is questionable at best.
>>
>>27788837
>If you follow the 4 rules of gun safety
You are being actively unsafe by depending on habits to protect you from your unsafe actions.

Don't do unsafe things and you won't need protections from doing unsafe things.
>>
>>27788889
>something that could kill you should be ready to go off at all times
>>
>>27788895
Modern guns don't discharge from being dropped. Try beating the buttstock of a rifle on the ground as hard as you can and see if it dryfires. Go ahead! Try it!
>>
>>27788933
>People sweep themselves ALL the fucking time
noguns don't realize this.
I was at a gunshop getting some revolvers transferred to me, and the owner swept this dude that was checking out some rifles behind the counter like 10 times. no one freaked out, no one started shouting about muh safety, muh 4 rules, and no one dropped to the floor immediately.
>>
>>27788837
>Why do you NEED a safety?
Same reason I don't NEED a gun, dumbass, because I can.
>>
>>27788966
Yes, it should. If you want to be totally safe, then you shouldn't have a gun at all.
>>27788965
If you can't trust yourself to follow the 4 rules, then you probably shouldn't trust yourself with a gun at all.
>>
>>27788877
I think a much better question in my mind is why are you walking around with a loaded and readied rifle?
Is your rifle so insanely loud that working an action to chamber a round and put the weapon into a ready state will scare off a target?
>>
>>27788976
You do need a gun for certain purposes. It is damn difficult to hunt without one (never mind more primitive weapons like bows and spears). A mechanical safety, on the other hand, serves no apparent purpose under normal conditions.
>>
>>27788998
>If you don't feel that you'll constantly be 100% perfect then you shouldn't own guns
Delicious b8. Mistakes get made, and redundancies can turn fatal mistakes or negligence into a minor scare or mild inconvenience.
>>
>>27789001
Why is my rifle loaded? That's like asking why my car has gas in it. I don't put gas in my car every time I decide to go for a drive, and I don't load my rifle every time I decide to shoot something.
>>
>>27789020
What you forget is that the 4 rules are redundant. It is impossible to shoot anything without violating at least two of the 4 rules.
>>
>>27788998
>If you can't trust yourself to follow the 4 rules, then you probably shouldn't trust yourself with a gun at all.

You miss the point, the 4 rules are setting you up for failure because they permit unsafe actions and cover it by corrective measures.

Don't do unsafe actions and you don't need any of the rules. The rules are there to protect people that can't be trusted to act safely with a firearm.

Think about it. Why would you treat a firearm you know is unloaded as if it was loaded? The 'textbook' answer is so that you don't treat a loaded firearm as if it was loaded. Well guess what asshat I don't treat loaded firearms as if they were unloaded and I will never not know the exact state of my firearm.

Don't touch the trigger until bah bah bah. Why? So you don't fire your firearm by accident by screwing around with the trigger. Great, I don't care because the only time I'm going to have a firearm in a state in which it is able to fire is when I want it to fire and hit something. Again the base rule is to protect an operator that can't be bothered to know if he's holding a firearm or an expensive metal club.

If you need the 4 rules to be safe you likely should give up your firearms because you are an inherently unsafe person.
>>
>>27788959
Americans don't care about safety that much.

What Americans do care about is multi-million dollar litigation because some moron got hurt because you didn't add every conceivable safety feature and is suing your ass into bankruptcy.
>>
>>27789022
>Why is my rifle loaded? That's like asking why my car has gas in it. I don't put gas in my car every time I decide to go for a drive, and I don't load my rifle every time I decide to shoot something.

Loaded and readied. You can't ignore the second part.

If I have a bolt action rifle with 5 rounds in an internal mag, it's loaded but not readied. Only when you chamber a round and return the bolt to it's closed position will that rifle be ready to fire. Why are you walking around with a readied weapon, what are you hunting that needs that fast of a reaction time?

The more apt example is why do you leave your car running but in park when you get out of it. Or why do you leave the keys in the ignition and the doors unlocked.
>>
>>27788970
>the only guns in current use are guns made within the last 15 years

how about you jump into a pit of dicks, faggot
>>
>>27789040
I just don't see how carrying a rifle with pointed at the ground or sky with your finger off the trigger is so unsafe as to require another piece of gadgetry.
>>
>>27789076
If you're using guns made in the 1870s, it may be a problem, but not with modern guns.
>>
>>27788877
>That may be worth worrying about when crawling through thick brush, but not under normal circumstances.
When is stick and brush and shit not "normal circumstances" outdoors?
>>
>>27789040
The four rules are there to develop good safety habits. No one takes them as inviolate in all situations. A mechanical safety is nothing more than a fail-safe.
>>
>>27789072
>Why are you walking around with a readied weapon, what are you hunting that needs that fast of a reaction time?
Not him but the noise is more of an issue than the speed.
>>
> Follow FOUR rules
> flip ONE safety

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
>>
>>27789088
>there are no guns from 1900-1970 that are unsafe

Okay champ
The ND at Nuggetfest proves that a firm enough drop or buttstroke can and will set off a firearm
Sears are not infallible
>>
>>27788860
>WHAT IF a twig gets caught in the trigger guard

If you are carrying your rifle through thick brush, use a sheath like a normal person.
>>
>>27789145
>normal people
>carrying mallninja shit

Ok champ, hunters outnumber mallninjas 10-1 and they don't use your garbage
>>
>>27789072
1. A faster reaction time is always better.
2. I have left my car running while I was out of it when it was about 0 degrees and I wanted the car to stay warm.
>>
>>27789001
in indiana most people hunt deer with shotgun. needless to say, cambering a shotgun is much louder than most rifles and easily loud enough to scare any nearby deer.
>>
>>27789139
What guns are you talking about? I don't know about the incident at nuggetfest, so you'll have to tell me.
>>
>>27789175
nugget

700s are prone to it as well as any gun with a short trigger

And twigs can and will catch your shit, noguns
>>
>>27789188
My 700 never did even when I slammed the buttstock on a concrete floor as hard as I could. I don't know about Mosin Nagants, but I do know they are poorly made. Soviets were not known for quality mass-made products.
>>
>>27789080
>I just don't see how carrying a rifle with pointed at the ground or sky with your finger off the trigger is so unsafe as to require another piece of gadgetry.

In your situation is your rifle readied able to fire or just loaded?

>>27789123
>The four rules are there to develop good safety habits. No one takes them as inviolate in all situations. A mechanical safety is nothing more than a fail-safe.
I say that they are to develop bad habits by letting people get lazy with core safety. In no situation would an unloaded unreadied rifle be a threat to anyone. However 3 of those 4 rules are built around not needing to know the state of the firearm.

I'd personally never use a mechanical safety outside of tactical shooting range while moving to a new firing position.
>>
>>27789292
Cocked and locked.
>>
>>27789292
>3 of those 4 rules are built around not needing to know the state of the firearm.
that's kind of the point, isn't it?
>>
>>27788884
don't worry senpai, your friendly muslim neighbors will teach you the ways of safety.
Safety from being an infidel.
>>
>>27789435
Senpai?
>>
>>27789446
word filter you fucking nonewsfag
>>
>>27789448
What did it filter from?
>>
>>27788889
but in many cases, a weapon is made safe when you don't need a weapon. So stop shitposting and let this thread die please?

CC gun? decocker and double action. hunting rifle? mechanical safety, because it doesn't need to be ready to go until you're ready to voluntarily fire at something under what is effectively controlled conditions.
>>
>>27789523
For a CC gun, double action is a terrible idea. It ruins accuracy. For a hunting rifle, a mechanical safety is unnecessary.
>>
>>27789540
I've always found the decocked shots more accurate than the follow ups, partly due to lack of training, but I'd say that with sufficient training there's no reason the decocked shot should be any less accurate if expected. For a hunting rifle sure, a safety is not "needed" but for some people they prefer the added mechanical prevention while not having to load and cock a gun before it's ready to go. It's all opinion in the end.
>>
>>27789501
you should keep up on this shit senpai
>>
I hunt with my nugget and simply keep the bolt open when I'm not ready to shoot. Its far safer than using the actual safety.
>>
>>27789540
oh, forgot to add, the option of double action to attempt to refire a round that had a light strike or other primer issue is also preferable to some. good luck clearing a malfunction when someone is a serious enough threat to warrant shooting them.
>>
>>27789080
the sky isn't a safe direction
>>
Not sure if it;s been said but I find disengaging the safety a very important step when trying to get the perfect shot.
Its all about muscle memory and taking you time while following the list of commands from brain to eye to fingers when trying to shoot well.

For me the safety coming off is the last note in knowing I am 100% ready to shoot an animal and know I am going to hit it.

>also lazy monocular
>>
>>27789633
anon, what's the worst that could happen if you let a round go off into the sky? before you answer, do a quick google search for terminal velocity, since I'm going to assume you didn't even make it to the most basic of highschool physics classes.
>>
>>27788837
Well why do we even have four laws?
If you follow the first one/two, then in theory you'll never shoot anyone. But we still have four, because safety redundancies. Same sort of thing they design into airplanes. Double, and triple layers of protection.
>>
>>27789685
If you fire stright up, like a perfect 90 degress vertical, then yeah the bullets don't really do anything when they come back.

If you are firing upwards at an angle, then you are seriously endangering people in the direction you are firing. People have been killed by wanks firing their guns into the air without a thought. Shit, five seconds on google will give you a list of injuries and deaths.
>>
>>27789685
Exceedingly unlikely in a hunting field.
>>
>>27789745
In populated areas. Even then, it's unlikely.
>>
>>27789685
>what's the worst that could happen if you let a round go off into the sky?

Anyone got that webm of the airliner accidentally being shot down by an over-the-shoulder shot?
>>
>>27789745
You actually need to fire slightly westward for that to work. Coriolis effect.
>>
>>27789765
*eastward
>>
>>27789767
*northward
>>
>>27789773
why the shit would you fire northward?
>>
>>27789776
someone should go back to school.
>>
>>27789781
yes, I'm sure they'll teach me all about ballistics.
>>
>>27789785
surely you realize that people learn about projectile motion in school, right? You don't think everything anyone knows about ballistics is self taught?
>>
File: aguila.jpg (87 KB, 410x323) Image search: [Google]
aguila.jpg
87 KB, 410x323
I couldn't find a decent answer on google.
Is it safe to fire a 22lr from a semi automatic rifle at an angle?
Let's say I'm hunting grouse in the bush and I see a grouse perched up innatree. If I fire at a 45 degree angle and miss the grouse, is it possible that this bullet can injure someone on the ground when it falls maybe 1.6-2 km away?

I know that it's extremely unlikely that someone is going to be at that exact spot when the bullet falls but if they are, will the bullet have enough velocity to penetrate skin? I understand that the bullet isn't going to tumble if when it falls down to the ground when fired at an angle and can therefore be going faster than terminal velocity.

Would it be safer to use subsonic rounds or maybe number 9 birdshot on a 12 gauge?
>>
Safeties on pistols is dumb. Holsters protect the trigger when not in the user's hands; when in the user's hands, the trigger is completely the responsibility of that user, and keeping unwanted things out of the trigger guard is easy even in the most chaotic situations.

Safeties on rifles is fine. Long gun scabbards aren't exactly always practical, and when carrying a rifle, it's too easy to get shit in the trigger guard.
>>
>>27789839
why are you hunting birds with 22lr?
>>
>>27789852
I haven't started hunting yet. Before I get my license I want to decide on either shotgun or 22lr for grouse and other small game. 22 Is cheap as fuck.
>>
>>27789862
birdshot is also cheap as fuck.
>>
>>27788837
I was almost shot in the head, and have the EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, from a 1903 springfield, with safety on, going off from being slung on someones back, and that person slipping, and slamming the butt on the ground.
>>
>>27788998
No true Scotsman is asking you to leave.
>>
>>27789175
some sperg decided to strike a tree with the butt of his Mosin with a round chambered.
this was before Nuggetfest officially started
>>
>>27788837
>this is my safety
Says probably every moron who has "accidentally" squeezed the trigger. Traditionally, revolvers were pretty much the only guns that didn't have any form of mechanical safety. These days the proliferation of Glocks and other plastic striker fired pistols - with trigger pulls far lighter and shorter than a DA revolver - has somehow given people the idea that gun safeties are not only "obsolete", but a design defect. It's fucking insane.
>>
>>27789871
>1903 springfield, with safety on, going off from being slung on someones back, and that person slipping, and slamming the butt on the ground

imposssibru
>>
>>27788837

Because Americans are retarded.

>Dog called "bullet" shoots her owner.

Kek. As if your low IQs werent enough.
>>
>>27789540
>For a CC gun, double action is a terrible idea. It ruins accuracy.

well that is a retarded statement
>>
>>27789540
>For a CC gun, double action is a terrible idea. It ruins accuracy.
You're a fucking moron.
>>
>>27789540
>For a hunting rifle, a mechanical safety is unnecessary.
Dumb. As. Fuck.
>>
Because you're usually hiking around, shit gets jostled and accidents can happen.

Lol @ the low quality "Amurcians are dumb" bait in this thread.
>>
>>27788837
Guns have safeties for the same reason cars have an emergency brake. To be extra careful.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.