[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First Handgun
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: 1425963785203.jpg (419 KB, 1078x808) Image search: [Google]
1425963785203.jpg
419 KB, 1078x808
I'm going to the range next week to test out as many guns as I possibly can and take comprehensive notes. I need advice on things to feel for like recoil and trigger break (I'm not even sure I know what that means).

I'm going to stick to a full sized 9mm for now since I cant ccw in my county (commiefornia). I've made this excel sheet to compare the most popular models for a variety of categories. I don't understand this google docs thing, but the hard copy lets you sort by price, name, barrel length, etc. with just a click.
>inb4 autismo
I make excel sheets for work so it's incredibly easy for me faggots.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fdyUr_LoXnse7KVZs0nzPZKjGAuQ4zsmlzkuNjB0LbM/edit#gid=260654656

I have a couple of rifles, but this will be my first pistol so any advice is appreciated.

Also 9mm general.
>>
you're a faggot

whatever feels the most natural should be your purchase, so go with your gut and not your spreadsheet you fuck
>>
>>27787680

I'm not going to log in to request access to your spreadsheet, so I'll just list stuff you ought to try out:

Glock 19
Berretta 92 series
Beretta PX4 Storm
HK VP9
Sig P226
FNS-9
Springfield XDS
Walther PPQ
Smith & Wesson M&P
>>
>>27787713
It's just in case i get to the range and decide I really like the guns x, y, and, z. Then I can compare, make my decision and walk out of the gun shop with no regrets. I don't want to just buy a Glock 19 and then 6 months later decide I'm bored and sell it.

Also I'm looking for advice on how the gun should feel. "Natural" doesn't mean shit to me since this is my first handgun
>>
>>27787799
I plan on shooting all of these and more if I have the time. Also, how do I make it so that you can see the spreadsheet without having to request access?
>>
>>27787827

Only you know what will make a gun feel right in your hands. It isn't something you can quantify. You just need to try as many as are available to you and decide which you enjoy the most.
>>
>>27787843
Makes sense. I guess I just don't want to show up at the range and look like a dumb fuck. I know how to safely handle a pistol, but that's it. I see all these technical reviews and don't understand half of the things they are talking about.
>>
>>27787874
>>27787874

Why would you pay attention to what people think of you at the range? Technical details of reviews are all bs anyway. Try all of the guns, then look up more detailed reviews of ones you liked. Jot a few notes at the range if you feel it'll help you.
>>
File: CZ75-1.jpg (123 KB, 1024x614) Image search: [Google]
CZ75-1.jpg
123 KB, 1024x614
>>27787680
CZ 75 or go home, OP.
>>
>>27787799
>>>27787680 (OP)
>I'm not going to log in to request access to your spreadsheet, so I'll just list stuff you ought to try out:
>Glock 19
>Berretta 92 series
>Beretta PX4 Storm
>HK VP9
>Sig P226
>FNS-9
>Springfield XDS
>Walther PPQ
>Smith & Wesson M&P

Browning Hi Power
CZ 75
CZ 99

For target shooting and aesthetics, I love the Beretta 92
>>
>>27787925
I guess I'm just nervous. Normally I get to the range and make tight groups at 600 yards or drop clays like a boss. I'm going to be all over the place at 10 yards now. I just want to make /k/ proud
>>
>>27787974
I changed it so anyone can access it now. Definitely looking forward to shooting the CZ 75
>>
>>27787993
Also, I'm having to go to a range I've never been to to test the pistols.
>>
>>27787680
Okay, things to look for:

When you hold each gun, hold like pic related. if you cant, that means its too big for hands. Off the top of my head, vp9 and walther ppq you wont have an issue since you can customize the grips.

If you want to check trigger pull, make sure mag is out of gun and gun is unloaded, then with hammer forward squeeze trigger slowly and feel for the snap, then do this same thing with hammer locked back. Try it with multiple handguns to feel the difference. Obviously shoot some ammo through them as well.

Also take note of the different types of sights on the guns, and type on your phone or write down which type you like better.
>>
>>27788088
Finally, someone with actual useful advice. I bought 1000 rds of 115gr to test. I probably won't use it all, but I figured the same ammo for different guns would be a better comparison.

I read something about how the trigger is supposed to feel when you release it for the next shot, but I didn't understand it. Mind spoon feeding me this stuff?
>>
>>27787680
Shit why can't Beretta just make a 92 with a frame mounted decocker/safety like on OP's pic?
>>
File: how_to_pick_handgun.jpg (140 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
how_to_pick_handgun.jpg
140 KB, 1000x1000
>>27788164
lmao forgot pic

what youre talking about is trigger reset. I wouldnt worry to much about it at this point since its your first handgun.

What range are you going to? fellow /k/ommiefornian here.

My first handgun was a sig 226 blackwater edition. It was a good pistol, however i have shit tier small hands, and even with the slimmest hogue g10 grips, short reset mechanism, and short reach trigger, I could not properly seat the handgun in my hand for one hand shooting. I ended up sticking with my 1911, and sold my 226 to my friend.

Any particular questions?
>>
File: 92B_17.jpg (47 KB, 650x443) Image search: [Google]
92B_17.jpg
47 KB, 650x443
>>27788179
Beretta did make the gun in the pic. Just limited quantity and they are fuckload expensive.

You could just get the Taurus copy of the 92fs. It has the frame mounted safety/decocker
>>
>>27788179

They did. OP's pic is a Beretta, one they actually made not a modified one. Hope you got a couple grand lying around for one.
>>
>>27788214
>>27788223
Yeah I know it is. I meant make a standard production model and not a limited edition version of only 3000 units.
>>
>>27788214
Also, I'm: >>27788244 and I'll never, ever buy a Taurus.
>>
>>27787874
The best way to not look like a dumb fuck is to just be upfront about what you don't know. Ask questions, but take any answer you get with a grain of salt.
Most guns these days are pretty reliable, so go with what fit your hands the best.
And remember, if you choose wrong, you can always sell and get a new one.
>>
>>27788210
I'm going out to Oak Tree Gun Club near Santa Clarita.

I have somewhat smallish hands too so I appreciate the advice. I know that I'll just have to hold a lot of guns to figure out how I'm supposed to hold it, I'm just trying to be as prepared as possible because I do not want to make the hour and a half drive again because I didn't understand what I was doing the first time.

I understand mechanically the difference between hammer and striker fire, but should I even take that into consideration for my first handgun?
>>
>>27788260
I tend to over analyse when making investments in things. I always want to do the most research possible and be 100% sure of my decision before I even make it. I know there are a lot of guys here that just walked into a LGS, saw something cool, bought it, and fell in love with it. I'm probably just a hoarder and don't like to sell things.
>>
>>27788261
No dont worry about differences between striker and DA/SA.

Mainly look at grip position and feel like in my pic above.

If youre grip isnt like pic then I would hold off on purchasing that gun, until you get more experienced shooting handguns, and know what is truly comfortable for you.

Like I said, I switched to 1911 because it fit my hand perfectly, and I prefer SAO handgun. Its not like I can open or conceal carry it enough for me to worry about things like weight or capacity LOL
>>
>>27788261
>I have somewhat smallish hands too so I appreciate the advice
I have very small hands. Men's extra small to small gloves. Preferably XS, but not a lot of companies make them.

I shoot a CZ75 with thin aluminum grips from CZ Custom. Fits my hand better than any other double stack handgun.
>>
>>27788322
good to know. What 1911 do you have? A .45 is on my list of future guns once I get comfortable enough with a 9mm.
>>
>>27788430
I'm definitely looking forward to shooting the CZ75. How much were the custom grips?
>>
>>27788439
After much trial and error, I ended up buying a Colt 1911 ANV III. Its a WW1 reproduction that ive modified to fit me better. Its above and beyond the SA GI, and Remington ive owned (and sold).
>>
>>27788455
Around $80 I think. I have the short ones to accommodate a magwell, because it's a competition gun. But it's really a night and day difference between the thicker standard grips and the aftermarket thin grips. I used to have to shift my grip to hit the mag release, and couldn't get a decent purchase on the double action trigger, but it's not an issue at all anymore.
>>
>>27788244
I like the slide mounted decocker/safety, so you can fuck right off if you want it on the standard model. Suck it up and buy your snowflake edition.
>>
>>27787680
Full size 9mm? Beretta 92, SIG P226, or CZ75. Those should be your first options. There are pros and cons to all three but all three are well loved and respected.
>>
File: CA-Loaded-Chamber-IND-Detail.jpg (24 KB, 633x348) Image search: [Google]
CA-Loaded-Chamber-IND-Detail.jpg
24 KB, 633x348
>>27787680
Another commiefornian here from LA. Make sure the handgun you want is on the communist roster (http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/). If you want something off roster, you have to buy one from another CA resident, but be prepared to pay at or above MSRP for used. All recently designed handguns aren't on the roster because manufacturers can't comply with microstamping. Looking at your spreadsheet, I can tell you that FNS, FNX, VP9, P320, P99, PPQ are not on the roster, and I definitely have missed some. My first gun was the CZ-75BD and I also recommend CZ not only because it's good for small hands, but because they're all unmolested except for the 10 rd mag. CZ didn't make new design changes after the LCI/mag disconnect/microstamp laws so they stayed on the roster without having to implement them. On the other hand, Sig was forced to retest their guns so they had to become CA compliant. The CA compliant P series look like this.
>>
>>27788911
Everytime I see one of those at the range I have to hide my power level. No joke, first time I ever saw one was in Kentucky. I didnt even know it was specifically made for CA until someone here told me it was.
>>
>>27788911
>tfw moved to commifornia
>some guy offered me $800 for my FNS
XD
>tfw no FNS
:-(
>>
>>27788911
I am in Los Angeles, and my MK25 doesn't have that...
>>
>>27788911
Damn, I knew that not all handguns are allowed here, I just didn't know it was that many. I'll definitely check that out. That sheet was also just a comparison for anyone to use. There are some on there that I'm not even interested in.
>>
>>27788952
Did you buy it while SSE was legal or at least a few years ago? All current MK25 have it now (I'm shopping for one), as you can see on the roster (MK-25-CA) and on sig's site under "State Compliant Products." In fact, I pulled that image from the MK-25-CA page.
>>
>>27788977
there's a good legit reason why CZ's are gaining popularity in CA.
They are the alternative guns with metal frame within the same price range as glocks in regards to 9mm.
Truthfully, we don't really have the M&P series here other than the shield, so within that $500-600 margin, we really only have glocks and XD's and CZ's if you want metal.
>>
>>27789132
Beretta 92fs is also about the same price.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.