[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the ideal length for an expandable baton?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: Expandable_Baton[1].jpg (57 KB, 604x294) Image search: [Google]
Expandable_Baton[1].jpg
57 KB, 604x294
What's the ideal length for an expandable baton?
>>
>>27781211
Something that gives you good reach. The farther you are able to strike at someone the more safe you are.
>>
>>27781250
And if it's too long it'll be difficult to use it inside.
>>
>>27781250
Yeah I understand. I was just thinking between an 16 inch and 21 inch baton, can't decide.
>>
>>27781211
>PICK UP THAT CAN
>>
>>27781211
It depends on how long your arms are and how strong you are. I'm only a little above average strength wise, and 6 foot tall and 21 inch asp is best. 16 just doesn't have the weight.
>>
>>27781274
Hmm I guess I will go with the 21 inch baton after all. 16 is smaller and could be concealed easier, but i'm just uncertain about the weight and reach.
>>
>>27781312
The 21 inch really isn't that much larger when it's collapsed.
>>
>>27781330
Well there's a small but crucial difference if I need to fit it inside my pocket.
>>
>>27781361
get the 21 and make do.

15 inch means you have to work very hard, really swing very hard, every time. Easier to make mistakes, easier to telegraph, wears you out much faster. It's a difference of 6 inches which if you're indoors and too confined to use a 21 inch baton, it'll be too confined to use a 15 inch as well. Don't underestimate the intimidation value of a large extendable asp, I've diverted packs of roaming dindu's just by displaying it aggressively. God I hate my job.
>>
>>27781361
I want to say that the 21 inch is approximately 8 inches collapsed. I can't be certain at the moment though.
Have you checked your local laws regarding concealing a baton?
>>
>>27781380
What do you do? Security?
>>
>>27781380
>15 inch means you have to work very hard, really swing very hard, every time.
That's not how you swing a telescopic baton though. It's the wrist motion. Speed, no strength.

>>27781384
Yes.
>>
>>27781394
yeah private security in detroit it's fucking garbage I can't even carry. I have my cpl and everything but if I'm caught on the job armed in any way I get shitcanned

I have a flashlight, mace, and a radio. If I'm caught with the baton it's insta-fired, mace is "strictly for self defense", I'm not to engage I'm supposed to just radio and let whatever happens happen so I can report it to police.

hahaha
shift manager and I have an understanding since I'm working graves. I just stay discreet and don't open my mouth about it like an idiot, and the property is too cheap to install cameras so I have a lot of leeway with my incident reports.

>>27781398
yes, thank you. Clubs work via angular momentum. Thanks.
>15 inch means you have to wrist motion very hard, really wrist motion very hard, every time.
the extra 6 inches at the end of a 21" give enough increased force to where you can really do some damage without "wrist motioning" for the fences every time.
>>
>>27781312
fyi, some states consider collapsible batons as concealed weapons
So it'd be a pretty good idea to check
>>
>>27781515
Judging by your description I'd say you had the wrong idea when it comes to swinging it.
>>27781529
In my country carrying one is illegal, but I don't care. The politicians are filling Europe with immigrant scum, gotta have something other than my arms and legs to defend myself.
>>
>>27781515
Shitcanned is the least of your worries. If you are untrained and carrying a baton, then end up using it and cracking a skull civil and criminal liability should be your worry.
>>
>>27781603
>civil and criminal liability
oh it absolutely is. It's my 2nd biggest worry, right beneath "getting killed by a pack of nogs in the middle of the night"

I mean I'm not walking around with the baton out trying to be a huge faggot. I took my CPL course, I know the self defense laws and what is required to be present in order for me to use a deadly weapon to protect myself, as a "reasonable man" would. I would rather be alive to listen to myself getting fired, is all I'm saying.

>>27781564
dunno what to tell you dude. The longer baton imparts a greater physical impact. Swinging it correctly or incorrectly is certainly an influencing factor, but technique does not upend the laws of physics. I'm not really feeling a pedantic debate desu senpai
>>
What's more effective at self defense one of these clubs or a fixed blade? The baton has reach but the knife has the scare factor and is more deadly.
>>
>>27781952
No debate here. Just stating the facts.

>>27781965
Baton because of it's reach. You can hit a knife out of someone's hand with it.
>>
Anyone know the laws regarding purchasing collapsible batons?

Will sellers ask for ID when buying one in person?
>>
if you use anything over a 10inch or 12inch baton you are compensating for something
>>
File: LILtrooper.jpg (45 KB, 450x312) Image search: [Google]
LILtrooper.jpg
45 KB, 450x312
>can legally buy firearms
>can't buy a metal stick

i want off this ride.
>>
>>27781952
No arguements from me, and that seems like a reasonable order of priority, however I don't know you personally and wanted to be sure you understood the possible consequences of any actions you may or may not take in the future.
>>
18" is ideal. make sure that it's hardened. mild steel batons are junk with the first use.
>>
>>27781965
baton by far. whipping out a baton also has plenty of scare factor.
>>
>>27782609
A baton doesn't really have the same intimidation factor as a blade senpai
>>
There are some carbon batons on the market that are more light weight than steel batons. They say they're just as durable as steel batons, which I don't doubt, but is there any point having one if it's much lighter?
>>
>>27782818
bump

>>27782795
it's not just about intimidation
>>
I have a 24" model, but I can write off some of that by having training and knowing fairly well where I can and can't use it (at least as far as mechanics goes).

The only real tip I can offer is find the right size for your arm length. Strength is just a bonus at that point, having a weapon that balances properly for you is more important.

REMEMBER: The ONLY part you WANT to be hitting with is the striker/tip. ANYWHERE ELSE is a wasted swing, unless you're up shit creek.
>>
>>27782909

>it's not just about intimidation

Batons are also less likely to wind up in your own gut. Batons make people stop and think: Blades make people panic.
>>
Why are these things so heavily restricted?

It's easier to get a fucking AR.
>>
>>27782270
well there's no national metal stick association lobbying for our rights is there?
>>
File: mirror_cat.jpg (92 KB, 694x642) Image search: [Google]
mirror_cat.jpg
92 KB, 694x642
>>27784557
>Legal:

-50 BMG rifle capable of downing light aircraft
-AR capable of killing 30 children instantly

>Illegal:
-Collapsible metal stick
>>
>>27784831

That's not a good argument, they'll just ban firearms.
>>
>>27781515
Of all the things you carry, a camera isn't one of your tools? What if you have to take a picture of a license plate?
>>
>>27785634

He doesn't have to say that he carries a cell phone, it's automatic today.
>>
>>27781261
do 16"

go inbetween 12" and 18". Shorter or longer and you 1) reduce reach too much, or 2) cant swing it inside
>>
>>27781211
21 feet.
>>
File: 140672-177341-lightsaber.jpg (9 KB, 390x396) Image search: [Google]
140672-177341-lightsaber.jpg
9 KB, 390x396
>>27781211

About 3 feet
>>
>>27785634
no I mean the property management has not installed security cameras

obv have a camera on my phone if it's necessary, as anon pointed out
>>
>>27782818
Aluminum bottom and center tubes while the top tube is carbon steel. Great if you have to carry it on your belt all day.

Dogshit if you actually have to hit someone with it.

The people I know carrying airweight batons do it to conform to reg but always go for Taser or fists.
>>
>>27781312
I own both a 12 and 21 inch baton. The 12 is actually great for EDC, fits right in your pocket, the 21 is nice too, but fairly visible, and requires a holster, obviously. People will notice.

Dont know if a 16 incher would fit your pocket, but if you have to holster carry, you might as well just get the 21inch.

Mine came with a sleeve/belt holster btw.
>>
>>27787190
I don't need this inside though. Outdoors only.
>>
Short, and then longer.
>>
>>27781515
so you'd be shitcanned for a gun & shitcanned for a metal stick... both are similarly easy to conceal: you choose the stick despite mentioning facing multiple people.okay...
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.