[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So i've watched some videos stating you can get light surface
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: WIN_20151015_172354.jpg (443 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20151015_172354.jpg
443 KB, 1920x1080
So i've watched some videos stating you can get light surface rust off without effecting the blueing via some polish and OOOO steel wool. The surface rust on my P38 is pretty light, i don't know if you can even see it in the picture but i'm worried about taking steel wool of any fineness too it. I know plenty about rust prevention but once it's there i have no clue.

Any one a bit more experienced in rusty guns know if this would be a safe thing to do?
>>
File: 1443726000573.png (206 KB, 343x358) Image search: [Google]
1443726000573.png
206 KB, 343x358
>>27580021
> ww2 bluing
> using steel wool

who told you such dumb shit?
>>
>>27580021

Bronze wool is what you want.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homax-Fine-Bronze-Wool-Pads-3-Pack-123100/100185012
>>
>>27580021
If some ammonia based solvent, and a cotton rag wont get it off, you arent getting it off without effecting the blueing.
>>
I used steel wool on my bhp.

It was absolutely fine.
>>
>>27580021
Have you tried just patches/cloth plus what ever cleaning shit you use plus elbow grease? you'd be surprised what you can get off.
>>
I would not use anything more abrasive than stainless steel wool or a stainless steeel hand brush. One of those two, some penetrating oil ( wd40 or pb blaster) and elbow grease. Dont forget to lube afterwards as niether of the above mentioned oils will protect at all regardless of what it says on the can.
>>
>>27580021
If you need some heavy duty stuff that wont affect your gun in any negative way, Eezox is one of the best protectants. It also gets rid of rust fairly easily while protecting the metal. Its a great product just to have, but I wouldn't really lube with it as they suggest.
>>
>>27580021
just leave it alone before you completely fuck it.
>>
Thanks guys, i'll probably see where some cloth and rubbing will get me. Spending the first twenty years of my life alone might actually get me somewhere here!
>>
>>27580021
Use some gun cleaning solvent of your choice
A cotton patch
And work it
>>
>>27580306
I've used 0000 steel wool before, no problems. It's what I still use. Bronze wool is GOAT tier, however. Get that if you can.

Use plenty of oil. The steel and bronze wools aren't abrasive in the same manner sand paper or other hard crystals are. The bronze is softer than blushing and fine steel wool is the same hardness.

The red rust, however, is an abrasive (being harder than black oxide,) and you want to suspend as much of that off of the surface of your gun as possible.

Fully disassemble your firearm before starting, go slowly, oil the shit out of everything.

After you are done, coat all of the blued parts in oil and place in a 300°f oven for thirty minutes. They will look great.
>>
>>27580021
just rub it really hard with a cotton patch and oil. it will be fine
>>
>>27580021
You could use some gun oil and a pre 1981 penny. Worked for my rusted as shit SKS
>>
>>27580021
>0000 steel wool
>trying not to damage bluing
seems like a bad idea
>>
>>27580136
just because you're blind doesn't mean everybody else is grandpa
>>
File: 1391819923874.png (467 KB, 1341x2500) Image search: [Google]
1391819923874.png
467 KB, 1341x2500
Don't listen to these cucks

0000 steel wool will not harm bluing
Fuck, you use it WHEN you're bluing

Use hoppes oil (not solvent) and 0000 and it'll disappear

Try just oil first and rub it with your hand
Usually that takes it off, if not, use the steel wool, but go lightly
>>
>>27580105
Fuck. I've been to Home Depots before and asked people if there was such a thing as brass/bronze wool. Nobody working there had heard of it.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.