[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Modern cavalry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 7
File: cavalry.jpg (84 KB, 800x562) Image search: [Google]
cavalry.jpg
84 KB, 800x562
WW2 was the last major conflict that cavalry was used. But I can't help but wonder, should we rethink that? Not as a major part of a military mind you, and as mounted infantry (Dragoons) rather than as true cavalry. For certain areas it seems like uneven terrain cavalry might seem like a good idea. Like Ski troops are for special terrain and climate

According to Wikipedia the Chinese have mounted guys patrolling on of its borders. And I have heard of stories of US special forces on horseback in Afghanistan. Not too mention a lot of irregular troops for tribes and militias that exist.
>>
>>27570968
Horses are comfy as fuck when compared to walking the same distance with the same amount of gear. The biggest issue is fodder.
>>
Too exposed and if you fall off your horse you could break a limb and end up being a sitting duck for your enemy to shoot
>>
File: Alph.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
Alph.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1333
>>27571062

We have bullet proof vests again, right? Outfit them with modern cuirassies and give them mechanical horses to ride!
>>
File: marsoc dirtbike.jpg (51 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
marsoc dirtbike.jpg
51 KB, 500x375
>>27571232
At that point just take an ATV or dirt bike. Not a bad idea if you're scouting through very mountainous terrain I suppose, but for the rest of it, UAVs and forward units will be more than enough.

The only reason the guys in Afghanistan rode horses around was because that's all the Northern Alliance had to offer them for mobility through some of those regions, and they had to be forward observes for laser-painting the targets.
>>
>>27570985
Surely you can find fodder easier than fuel anywhere you would be using horses.

>>27570968
>not jousting mudslimes with your nuggetlance
>>
File: 1443710662833.webm (265 KB, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
1443710662833.webm
265 KB, 486x500
Does /k/ remember this?
>>
>>27571751
This the ATV and motorbike are the modern horse. They can go much farther, faster in rougher terrain, and are prone to far fewer problems.
>>
>>27572433
no but that's pretty cool to watch thanks for sharing
>>
>>27572433
what is this from?
>>
>>27570968
modern Cav is SF on dirtbikes and quads.
Cover 200 km over goat trails or 500 over unpaved roads in a day.
>>
>>27572838

I think its part of the propaganda film made by the PRC about their first atomic test.
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 327x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 327x450
>>27570968
>>27570968
South Africa here, we have allways had a special purpose battalion which is 50/50 with horses and motorbikes

Bikes are great for high speed low drag patrols over short distances - but they are loud and limited by terrian type and supply

Horses are great for long range patrols in rugged terrian and have a much smaller signature than bikes

But i must emphasise they they are used for patrolling and not in direct combat
>>
Mules and beast of burden can be used (and has been used quite recently) to carry mortars and mountain gun (oto melara pack howitzer for example)
>>
How well do horses operate in snow?
>>
>>27574913
depends on the snow and the horse
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.