[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to get a modern cartridge to fire out of a modern
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: modern_conversion_cover.jpg (48 KB, 410x227) Image search: [Google]
modern_conversion_cover.jpg
48 KB, 410x227
Is it possible to get a modern cartridge to fire out of a modern gun loaded with black powder ie 5.56/7.62?

hypothetically speaking and maybe a stupid question. But can you use bp in say a ar15 or such? I'm just getting into reloading and thought it would be neat to have clouds of smoke while shooting.
>>
>>27567851
Yes but it probably won't cycle. You might be able to install much lighter springs.
>>
>can you use bp in say a ar15

I'm going to take a guess and say no. For one thing I'm not sire that there would be enough pressure to cycle the gun, and for another the reason that you get a big cool cloud of smoke with BP is that there is a lot of unburned particulate in the smoke when burning it, seems like that would foul up the gas port or gas tube rather quickly.
>>
If you figure out the right amount of powder it would work fine, would foul up a fuck of alot quicker though, can't imagine an AR last more than a hundred rounds before you need a thorough cleaning
>>
>>27567851
yes and no, it highly depends on the type of action you are using.
and remember the fact that bp is burning waaaaaay slower than nitro cellulosis powder and other fast burning high pressure smokeless power so don't expect either good ballistics nor proper cycling and it will clog up extremely fast
eventually some design might work longer than others, I red that lacks of powder during red khmer era Cambodia/ Vietnam urged them to use bp in bolt action and open bolt smg
I don't think an AR would fire more than 39 round of bp without being fouled.
I did bp round for :
-My bp revolvers (duh)
-12ga and I mean a SHIT load of it, did with number 9 00 and lyman slug we melted down outta skeet surplus shitty target load from a shit batch of bong ammo from the 80ies. I used in : SxS from Dad (manuarm robust) baikal mp153 and winchink Norinco 1887.
I used up to 4.6grams / 70gr f powder
hulls from shitty eley 80" shells
put original wadding or home made cardboard wads for the slugs and tried buck and ball with lead leftovers.
with gas setp opened the baikel cycled 2/3 of the time baikail got fouled up to the point of not closing the action after 48shells
Chink 1887 altrough is a black powder design fouled up after 35shells (last one was ahell to get out)
>>
>>27568069
the baikal became a straight pull shotgun after 10 to 12th shot.
>>
>>27567851
There's videos of people using AKs in 7.62x39mm, Glocks, and 1911s with ammunition loaded with black powder on youtube. Don't know how well smaller ~.22 caliber cartridges would work though, would probably be pretty weak. Also the gas tube on an AR-15 would get clogged pretty damn quickly.
>>
>>27567851

It would work, but would become a straight-pull gun VERY quickly. There are videos of guys running 7.62 AKs with BP and the gas piston seized after like 3 shots from excessive fouling.

In a manual-action gun, though? Good to go.
>>
>>27567851
Hickok got it to work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfzQ4uKvE7c
>>
File: 1366772175127.png (147 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
1366772175127.png
147 KB, 425x282
>>27568509
It's a smoke grenade!
>>
>>27568830
CARLOS YOU STUPID BEANER FUCK OFF
>>
>>27568830
MY. FUCKING. SIDES...
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.