[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Modifications and updates to classic designs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: Ka-Bar EK Model 4.jpg (32 KB, 1074x539) Image search: [Google]
Ka-Bar EK Model 4.jpg
32 KB, 1074x539
So I got bitten by the dagger bug and went searching around or a decent production piece this weekend. I would have gone with a custom, but I don't necessarily want to drop that much coin or wait for one. I ended up settling on one of Ka-Bar's new production John Ek series (the model 4 specifically). While I've always been interested in some of the classic military designs (V-42, Fairbairn-Sykes, etc) I had never known the history of the Ek Commando knives. Here's some good history on them: http://www.fairbairnsykesfightingknives.com/ek-knives.html

While I tend to like the idea of mixing classic design points to create something new, a lot of people treat any modification to classic designs as heresy.

What about you, fellow /k/ommandos? Are some things too sacred to change? Alternately, post and discuss classic knife designs/patterns.
>>
>>27528687

I love mine and the Ek design in particular. More durable than a FS or V-42 but still retaining all the desirable properties of a good dagger.

Obviously if Ek had the business foresight to still be making them like they used to in the 40s I'd have picked on of those up but that's not an option.

Only complaint was the sheath which was an easy fix.
>>
>>27528734

What did you do to fix the sheath? And did you have a FS or V-42 on hand to compare the Ek to? Or are you going by just the nature of the designs?
>>
>>27528768

The sheath has two lumps of kydex or whatever polymer du jour so you need to 'peel' the sheath outwards in order to draw.

It already has a clasp which is more than adequate to keep the knife in place so I just whittled the kydex away.

I got a big boner for the FS knife so I started researching them which led me to looking at the V-42 and other military daggers/stilettos. Common complaints regarding the FS and V-42 were that due to the narrow blade and rat tail tang they had a habit of breaking or chipping off in or upon encountering bone. The Ek knife had no such problems.
>>
>>27528810

Neat. Thanks for the heads up, I'll probably make a similar modification once I get mine.
>>
I love AK bayonets. They are functional and useful tools. Anyone know where I can get a "Modern", un abused, or new production one?
>>
>>27528843

No problem, just take your time whittling away at it and it'll go from and absolutely horrible draw to a smooth and silent one. Also, have this video that got my dagger boner going: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e0b_1402527226

>>27528853

Kommando store had a bunch that were still coated in factory cosmoline. Can't remember if they're all sold out or if 1-2 are hiding in the warehouse somewhere.
>>
>>27528910

I fucking love that video. Classy AND informative!
>>
File: spartan-v-14-1.jpg (121 KB, 864x560) Image search: [Google]
spartan-v-14-1.jpg
121 KB, 864x560
I love new knives. There's a lot of old equipment that didn't get many updates or revisions because the military was too clingy. It kind of bugs me when something could have been done better if somebody had just thought a bit differently.

Pic related. Spartan Blades V14. It's an FS-style full tang blade. It has all the functionality of the original FS but the modern flat-with-grip-panels design. Holy hell these guys are expensive though
>>
>>27529078

I really loved the look of that but holy hell, the price was too much for me.
>>
File: Hanwei tactical series.jpg (243 KB, 1024x301) Image search: [Google]
Hanwei tactical series.jpg
243 KB, 1024x301
>>27528687
>a lot of people treat any modification to classic designs as heresy

Well those people are dumb.

Also, I'm glad to see that the new Eks are finally out, I've been waiting for this since 20-fucking-13. I just hope they get the Becker kukri out before I do something crazy like buy a Junglas.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.