[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ranger School Questions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 210
Thread images: 15
File: RAGNAR.png (54 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
RAGNAR.png
54 KB, 800x800
Ask somebody who just recently (within the last month) graduated Ranger School anything about Ranger school.
>>
>>25343331
Are you an actual ranger, or just tabbed?
>>
post proof and use a trip you faggot.
>>
>>25343331

Timestamp plz
>>
What was the washout rate, by category?
>voluntary withdrawal
>medical recycle
>medical drop
>involuntarily removed
>failure to graduate
And if any of the categories are less than 20%, you do realize that you went through a very watered-down version compared to what it was before it became RASP, right?
>>
>>25343346
Both.

>>25343349
>>25343357
I don't have a lot hanging around my room for proof, but I'll post a shot of what I got.
>>
>>25343374
He said ranger SCHOOL not RIP/RASP.
>>
>>25343374
your a shit head, fuck off

Full ranger school not rasp asshat
>>
>>25343331

Do you feel like a badass? Or pretty much the same?
>>
>>25343393
>both

Cool. What batt, assuming you're not in a LRSC?
>>
>>25343393
>>25343331

How much did you run (distance, time, frequency)? In detail.
>>
File: IMG_0872.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0872.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>25343393
So this is basically all the proof I have sitting around my room. A pair of OR Overlord gloves I wore through school, my graduation tab, and DUI.

>>25343374
When I went through RASP out of a class of over 200 we graduated 114 or so.

My Ranger School class started with about 400 and 112 people graduated (including recycles). The majority of Ranger School failures were from the PT test. After that it's drops for patrols, then drops for spot reports, then probably peers, (or some combination of the three), then medical drops, then voluntary withdraws (known as lack of motivation, LoMs.)
>>
>>25343485
are you nervous about your running in your first operation?
>>
>>25343427
Pretty much the same. I always knew I could be cold, hungry, and tired. Now I just feel like I spent a few months actually being cold, hungry, and tired.

>>25343437
2nd

>>25343448
Personally I ran a lot. I was running about 35 miles a week (5-9 miles a day depending on the workout) all around 7 minute pace. This was in addition to the regular work outs of the day our PTs had us doing.

Honestly you don't need to run that much- in fact I was advised against it. So long as you're able to run 5 miles under 40 minutes, and do the 12 mile ruck under 3 hours you'll be fine.

Outside of RAP week (Ranger assessment phase) you don't really need to be that physically fit. Don't get me wrong, school's physically exhausting and will fuck you up, but it's basically about just sticking it out.
>>
>>25343485

> The majority of Ranger School failures were from the PT test.

How the fuck does a unit send someone to Ranger School unable to pass a PT test?
>>
>>25343498
Do you mean like running a mission? I still won't do that for a while as an E-4. I should get a team soon, but actually running a mission is still for the platoon sergeant and squad leaders.

>>25343538
To be fair a good amount of those are guys who got screwed over because they needed to cut down on class numbers.

Apart from that units just aren't aware of the realities of the Ranger School PT test. The grading isn't like your average big army PT test where the grading is pretty easy. They're super strict on push ups and toss out a fuck ton unless you've got perfect form.
>>
>>25343592
>Do you mean like running a mission?
I worded my post poorly, I mean participating in a mission.
>>
>>25343592

I know the 41 club game well, push ups were always my event, running not so much. Despite this I got some badge-whore for EIB who had me do about 85 pushups while repeating the number 41 again and again until he finally got tired of it.

Still, standards people.
>>
>>25343538
In the guard I saw NCOs pencil whip a PT test for privates they liked. I saw PT tests administered by e4s who we're trying to get a team mate a slot for airborne/ranger.
>>
>>25343628
That's prety much it. The only really thing you can do to prevent is to pretty much go up and do your push ups as perfect as possible. Also going up and actually looking confident/fit will do a lot to help you too.

>>25343856
> trying to get a team mate a slot for airborne/ranger.
Really they're just fucking their buddies over.
>>
>>25343916
>fucking their buddies

And fucking me when that washout comes back a PT failure and his team leader doesn't like him anymore so he sends him to my team.

Ahhh, the things I don't miss one bit.
>>
Does your ranger school make you come even close to being as operator as a guy who works in pest control? Be real here.
>>
File: DaleGribble1.jpg (8 KB, 164x315) Image search: [Google]
DaleGribble1.jpg
8 KB, 164x315
>>25344137
>>
>>25344137
>implying being in the army isn't virtually the same as being in pest control
>implying kebab aren't the equivalent of cockroaches and termites
>>
>>25344137
Ranger School doesn't make you "operator" at all. Ranger School is a leadership school. Really Ranger School just means you sucked up being cold, tired, and hungry for a few months and managed to get a bunch of other cold tired hungry people to not act like a group of complete and utter retards when you were in leadership and getting graded.
>>
File: 1428198427721s.jpg (13 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1428198427721s.jpg
13 KB, 250x250
>>25343331
ftfy
>>
>>25343331
AIRBORNE RANGER AIRBORNE RANGER WHERE HAVE YOU BEEEEN
>>
>>25344380
>king ragnar awards Dhirim to king ragnar
>>
>>25344380
Sweet, you're going to have to make it pink though for the next Ranger School class to start.

Don't know if they released it yet or not, but when I went through the RIs were talking about how a new "gender neutral" version of the Ranger Handbook was going to be released.
>>
>>25344405
And I forgot my name.
>>
>>25344389
C-13000000000 ROOOOLLLING DOWN THE STRIP!!!!!!!!!! AIRBORNE RANGER ON A ONE WAY TRIP!
>>
>>25343331

http://www.duffelblog.com/2014/02/buzzfeed-army-article/

Fucking boot.
>>
>>25344522
>SPC, with deployments, and tab
>Boot
Pick one.
>>
>>25343331
can i kill you, wear your skin and assume your life?
>>
File: Nuggetfest7.jpg (38 KB, 669x444) Image search: [Google]
Nuggetfest7.jpg
38 KB, 669x444
>>25344380
>>
anyone non-americans in your class? i heard canadians are allowed to take the course if spots are available
>>
>>25344860
We had a guy from the Georgian Army, and Thailand as well.

We also had two guys originally from Russia and serving in the US Army in my platoon as well.
>>
>>25343331
Tab or Scroll?
>>
>>25344964
man you guys have it sooo lucky in the states. it takes forever to get into regular infantry in Canada
>>
>>25343529
to extend on >>25343448

How many minutes (average) can you run a mile?
what about 2nd-3rd miles average?

Starting infantry training soon (OZ RA Inf) Aiming for Commando / SF, need a good standard for comparison.
>>
>>25343331
How long did it take for you to prepare to join? Also, post handbook if you have it around pls
>>
File: 1428040225311.png (14 KB, 280x534) Image search: [Google]
1428040225311.png
14 KB, 280x534
>>
>>25344997
Both

>>25345039
Personally before going to school I could run a mile in under 5:20. I could do a 5k in the low 19s, and I consistently ran 5 miles in sub 32 minutes.

Again I ran a lot compared to other guys. I wasn't the fastest guy around, but I was in probably the top 10% if not a little bit higher. Personally though I think being good at running is a pretty big help for overall fitness, but make sure you're not neglecting everything else.
>>
File: BaikalMakForMudslime.jpg (79 KB, 868x406) Image search: [Google]
BaikalMakForMudslime.jpg
79 KB, 868x406
>>25345091
>>
>>25345058
It's hard to give an exact time for how long it took me to get ready. I was always in pretty good shape so I didn't really need to condition to get ready.

I didn't really get any real classes on Ranger School before going like some units do, but I did do SURT- use to be called Pre Ranger- put on by the 75th. That was a three week long course focused on making sure we could pass all the standards (PT test, ruck, land nav, water confidence), and teaching us the basics of Ranger School platoon level tactics.

And my handbook is in my locker back at work, sorry.
>>
>>25345154
>I was always in pretty good shape so I didn't really need to condition to get ready.
I was never too athletic for the 19 years of my life, I'm a skeleton. In your opinion, how long would it take to pt to the point where trying out for BUDs is a reasonable thing to do? I know it's not the army but I just want your opinion since you're actually in the 75th
>>
>>25345195
find yourself the naval special warfare bud/s training program for candidates. a quick google should do it. it's a six month, linear athletics program irrc. starts off at low intensity and takes you all the way through.

if you're skinny the biggest issue will be diet probably. i doubt you eat as much as you think you do.
>>
>>25345258
Lately, I've been eating like complete shit. I really need to start eating like 4,000 calories a day.
>>
>>25345195
Maybe a year or so? Sorry I don't have a super great time frame for you.

The fitness goals I'd look at meeting are being able to run a 35 minute 5 mile, do 80 push ups (good push ups) in under 2 minutes, about the same for sit ups, and at least 10 pull ups in one go. Plus whatever standards they list for the course.

Beyond that I'd suggest bulking up a bit and making sure you're lifting as well as running. Both are going to be pretty important.
>>
>>25345284
Since you said you were able to run sub 5:20 minute miles, out of curiosity, what's the average amount of miles you do a day?
>>
>>25343331
What's life like in the 75th? Is it peace time army for you?
>>
>>25345339
>What's life like in the 75th? Is it peace time army for you?
75th isn't big army, they still kick doors down and shoot people in the face while 11b's are scrubbing rocks, which is why so many people on /k/ want to join
>>
>>25343485
I'm shipping to Benning in 3 months with an option 40. I heard that batt boys have to be able to bench 1.5x their body weight and squat and dead lift 2.5x their body weight. I'm fair frame, but I don't weight lift that much and these goals will be almost impossible to achieve for me within 3 months. I can run 5 miles in 39ish minutes right now and working on cutting that down. Push ups and sit ups are no problem for me and I'm getting my pull-ups up from about 15 right now to hopefully just over 20 before I ship. Should I be worried about weight lifting?
>>
>>25345360
lol who the fuck told you that
>>
>>25345360
being able to deadlift 2.5x your body weight is fairly easy to achieve to be honest.
>>
>>25345315
I was averaging about 35 a week and 5-9 daily. Also I was focused more on distance running then speed. You can run that fast for a mile and do a less mileage if you focus more of your workouts on speed. But you're endurance will suffer.

>>25345339
Life is lots of training punctuated by deployments. Though with the wars drawing down we really aren't deploying anymore. Instead the battalions are sending companies away for big training events. Which is a lot less fun then deployment.

Honestly they aren't going to be able to keep this schedule up for much longer. Being in an almost perpetual training cycle burns guys out pretty quickly. Without the break of deployment they're going to have to change things up.

All of that being said, it's not like we're in the peacetime Army where we're painting rocks and shit. We're still hitting the range, doing jumps, and going places.
>>
>>25345368
A friend of mine who just retired from batt and is now going through college so he can go back in as an 18A.

>>25345382
I know it's not that hard, it's just that Id have to bulk up a bit in muscle mass at the same time as I ramp up my run frequencies which will cause me to burn weight. I don't know if I'll be able to achieve these stats within 3 months. I'm not DYEL, I'm 5'11 and about 180lbs with ~16-7% body fat. So I still need to cut a bit but I'm not fat or skinny by any means. I just wanted to start cutting now but am now worried I still need to bulk.
>>
>>25345409
What's steroid use like in the 75th?
How long do you plan on staying in? Any aspirations to CAG, RRC, SF or sniper/recce?
>>
>>25345280
>Lately, I've been eating like complete shit. I really need to start eating like 4,000 calories a day.

Couple of things:

If you're skinny, give up the idea of 4000 cals. That's fucking huge. You'll make yourself ill eating like that, it's a lot. And probably you don't need that much anyway. Eat at least three meals a day (fuck that bodybuilding faggotry), base each meal around protein and eat until you are full. Drink a lot of w. ater. It does actually make you feel better, especially if you never feel hungry in the morning. Usually if you feel sick in the morning it's because you've become dehydrated over night from uncontrollable masturbation, you little pervert. Anyway.

Secondly, here is that doc mentioned earlier

http://www.sealswcc.com/PDF/naval-special-warfare-physical-training-guide.pdf

here is a useful website

http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seals-naval-special-warfare-prep-school.html#.VSC-ysmuffY

don't just think about it, do it. taking action isn't as hard as you think and you're in a perfect position to try and make your dreams reality. enough of the prep talk. go fuck yourself.
>>
>>25345360
No, I'm not sure who told you that stuff about lifting.

Honestly if you have a decent team leader you shouldn't have any worries outside of your running, push ups, and sit ups before you go to school. As a new private to battalion your main concern (apart from not getting your nuts fucking crushed on a daily basis) should be getting to school. Being a PT test stud will go a long way towards that.

So just keep focusing on your push ups, sit ups, and running. Don't completely discount lifting, but don't worry to much about it. Also you'll lose a lot of your "gains" in OSUT anyway since you're not lifting there.
>>
>>25345454
Are they sending guys to school right after rasp? Any talks of a Ranger training course that goes from airborne through ranger school with rasp and SURT and other stuff in between?
>>
>>25345435
Not unheard of and tacitly approved. Or at least it use to be tacitly approved. Recently they've been cracking down on dudes with steroids that they find during room inspections.

But more then a few guys take them.

>How long do you plan on staying in? Any aspirations to CAG, RRC, SF or sniper/recce?
At least my current contract of two more years. After that I'll probably look at leaving the Rangers unless we're really back out fighting again.

I'll probably try and go SF or Green to Gold and be an officer.
>>
>>25345454
What's life like for someone who shows up from RASP as a tabless spec4?
>>
>>25345454
Thanks. One other thing I'm worried about is the security clearance check. I'm currently dating a girl from China and I was wondering if it will block my chances of being a Ranger. She's a really amazing girl and I don't think I could cut contact with her even if it meant toning down my dreams in the military. Do you know of any guys in the regiment with foreign girl friends or is that a universal no-no.
>>
>>25345494
You guys have room inspections? Thought that was just big army BS. Ricky said Africa is heating up for regiment, or is that just RRC.
>>
>>25345495
Almost every enlisted guy at RASP will be tabless.
>>
>>25345494
>2 years
How long were you in Batt without a tab? Did you come in as option 40, volunteer at OSUT or volunteer at your unit
>>
>>25345476
Not straight away. Normally you show up to your battalion, do a training cycle (about 6-7 months) then they'll talk about sending you to school. Sometimes you can go a little bit earlier if you're a stud and the other guys in your team suck.

The only time I've heard of something like that pipeline is for non airborne qualified E-5s coming to regiment. They make them go to RASP and then right to SURT/Ranger school since they're a NCO.
>>
>>25345509
I forgot to also ask, any tips for the security check process? Maintaining opsec and persec of course, was it hard? A lot of unexpected questions? Be as vague as you need to be, I don't want to pry, I'm just curious and a bit nervous.
>>
>>25345530
Are they still taking volunteers for RASP at OSUT?
>>
>>25343331
What's the weirdest or funniest thing you've seen during rasp?
>>
So even if you guys aren't deploying its still better than big ad,y since you have the SOCIM BUDGET to train?
>>
>>25345530
Damn, back in the day people were in the batt for 2 years before going to school.
>>
>>25345537
To add on to this, should I lie about smoking weed in his hoop to meps/ on my sf86? I want to make a carer of the military
>>
>>25345495
Pretty much everyone is tabless. When you show up you're treated like an E-4 private.

>>25345509
I honestly have no clue. I don't think it's 100% that it'll disqualify you, but I really don't know.

>>25345515
It started a couple of training cycles ago for us up at 2nd bat. And when they found some guys with some shit in their rooms (steroids, drugs, unregistered guns) they kept doing them. About once every few months. They didn't use to and it's pretty gay.

As for Africa, there's some training going on, but nothing really for the regular guys.

>>25345528
A little under two years, I kind of got screwed over compared to a lot of other guys. I volunteered during OSUT.
>>
>>25345598
Lie. They won't know you smoked unless you're dumb enough to have smoked in the past couple of months, only dumbshits fuck themselves over by talking.
>if you tell me the truth, I'll take it as a good thing to be honest :^)
lie
>>
>>25345625
>Wants to be a Ranger
>Worried about bunking with guys of other skin colors who made it to Reg just like you did.
You're not going to make it with that bullshit attitude.
>>
>>25345613
Cool. Do they do room inspections if you're married and live on/off base as a junior enlisted?
How do guys find time to pin steroids and do cycles with going to the field all the time and training? Just long esters?

Did you enter the army knowing you wanted to be a ranger but couldn't get an option 40 or did it just hit you when they asked for volunteers?
>>
>>25345598
>>25345633
I'll wait for tabspc4 to answer...
>>
>>25345636
this, your squad leader is going to be black and much more useful and better than you in every possible way
>>
>>25345551
During RASP?
I saw a guy get his whole face swollen more then twice it's normal size from falling asleep on top of an ant hill.

During Ranger School?
Watching this Asain kid try and eat an acorn.

>>25345598
Yeah, so long as you're not doing it now nobody will ever know.

>>25345578
Pretty much, we're still training. It's not bad if you're a single guy. If you have a family it burns out guys pretty quick.
>>
>>25345625
Black people don't go infantry. Like, four or five in a company of 150.

But if you hate black people that much just stay the fuck out of my army.
>>
>>25343529
How fit should 1 be before going?
do the instructors look for the dumbest of reasons to fail you?
what was the hardest part?
what was the easiest?
What should one know beforehand; knots, tactics, gear, skills etc?
what were some of the thing you learned?
do instructors force you into leadership roles in order to see you fumble and fail?
>>
>>25345655
Even if I have aspirations for RRC? It won't fuck me over with a TS clearance or something?
>>
>>25345657
niggas go to supply, so I've heard.
>>
>>25345655
What's the current wait for corrective eye surgery for someone just getting to BATT
>>
>>25345550
I honestly don't know. I'd assume so, but don't bet on it. Even if they are don't bet on it.

>>25345625
If that's your biggest worry then you're probably not going to do well in the military. You deal with all types.

Also I know a lot of black guys in Regiment who are pretty awesome. All that being said there is a running joke at 2nd bat that we have barely any black guys.

>>25345639
No, it's only for guys living in the barracks.

>How do guys find time to pin steroids and do cycles with going to the field all the time and training? Just long esters?
Having never taken steroids myself I couldn't tell you. But we don't normally spend an extended amount of time out in the field. Usually a day or two at most. Every once in a while longer, especially now with a lack of deployments.
>>
>>25345677
Yeah. And good luck having everybody in supply hate you.

Really gonna suck when you start loosing things in the field or when you don't have that second set of nods they have you signed for.

Me, I bummed newports off of them and listened to wutang, which is why I managed to get fun toys from the arms room.
>>
>>25343346
505th PIR here!
Go home before we kick your ass again. Noone's fooled by your shit, BattBoy.
>>
>>25345707
So assuming a don't qualify for an option 40 due to needing a waiver, volunteering at OSUT and airborne are my only options?
>>
>>25345728
My dad was in recon and in supply in the marines back in the 90's, told me how it was so fucking awesome to always have shit on hand like gloves and boots while everyone else was sol. Also, he was able to shoot some .50bmg and alot of other shit as long as he signed it off.
>>
>>25345707
Is it still looked down on to go to SF/considered a lateral move? Jack Murphy said he was almost RFS'd for wanting to go
>>
>>25345670
>How fit should 1 be before going?
Well over the standards.

>Do the instructors look for the dumbest of reasons to fail you?
It depends. They can fail you for stupid shit, and they will especially if they don't like you. But generally if you have a decent RI they'll try and give you a fair shake on patrols. Generally they do actually want to see you pass.

>what was the hardest part?
Dealing with all the gay bullshit. Also being cold and wet. Fuck being a winter Ranger.

>what was the easiest?
Day 9 of Florida, it's the mission out on Santa Rosa island. The whole thing is environmentally protected so the RIs basically have to show you were you can go and can't go. It makes for a super easy mission that's really hard to fuck up.

>What should one know beforehand; knots, tactics, gear, skills etc?
You really don't need to know anything, you'll pick most of it up easily enough at whatever pre Ranger program you go to.

>what were some of the thing you learned?
If you're going to fuck up just decide to do it an do it going 100mph. You're better off making a shitty decision now then waiting for a perfect decision later.

Like I said earlier, Ranger school is a leadership school, not a tactical school. All the tactical stuff is pretty basic/useless/you don't really remember it all because you're fucking tired as hell.

>do instructors force you into leadership roles in order to see you fumble and fail?
Yeah, your grade is based off of your time in a leadership roll. It's called a look. Generally you're guaranteed at least two looks. It's a go/no-go grade.

>>25345676
I don't think so, but honestly I don't really know.

>>25345696
Pretty quick, but I don't have an exact time for you. They're pretty good about that stuff though.
>>
>>25343374
How many NCO's does it take to screw in a lightbulb.

Five.

One to hold the ladder, one to screw it in and three to sit around and talk about how they screwed in lightbulbs back when it was hard.
>>
damn you're so much more cool and chill than ricky

please make a permanent trip and replace him
>>
>>25345734
What kind of waiver?

>>25345759
No, guys go to SF all the time. It's kind of considered a lateral move, but so long as you leave on relatively good terms nobody cares.
>>
>>25345759
Obviously I am not OP, but I've been posting here.

I was not in batt, but a LRSC, when I asked the 1stSgt about maybe going over to the group he told me to gtfo of his office, then he told my team leader and my tl/atl shit on me for days about it.
>>
I want to go for an Option 40 but I think my eyesight is poor enough I'd get an instant DQ, I'm pretty fit otherwise.
>>
>>25343374
>5 categories
>any less than 20%
>100% failure rate
>>
>>25345817
I've had 3 leg surgeries, a knee surgery, wrist surgery and finger surgery. First leg surgery was botched, 2nd was to fix it, and 3rd was for an infection from the 2nd. For all intensipes purposes I'm 100%. Still recovering from the knee, but that was 4 weeks ago
>>
>>25345870
Damn, that sucks. I'd look at getting that waiver. You'll probably need that waiver regardless if you volunteer from OSUT or your unit. I'd talk to your recruiter again and see what your options are.

Also it's pretty risky going without an Option 40 contract. It's a real gamble whether they'll be looking for guys or not and whether they'll take you as one or not.

>>25345835
As long as you can wear glasses and correct it you should be fine. I know lots of guys with glasses.

>>25345814
Nobody can replace Ricky, but I might post here more often then I had been.
>>
>>25345922
I'm still in college so I'm hoping that time+having a perfect PFT score when talking to a recruiter will help. From what I've rewd I'm not allowed an option 40 because you can't take the airborne physical at mess if you need a waiver, but once you're actually in the army/osut it's no problem. Did you have airborne in your contract before getting a rasp slot in OSUT?
>>
>>25345835
Only SEALs have a limit on eye sight/no glasses.
Rest of SOCOM units will allow you corrective lenses (glasses) as long as you aren't color blind or have any other eye issues.
>>
>>25345922
Do you feel like you're on par with seals as far as training goes?
>>
>>25345922
>Nobody can replace Ricky, but I might post here more often then I had been.

do you know ricky in real life?

are there are 4channers in batt?

did you want to be a fairy dinosaur princess when you were growing up?

if not, does it sound like something you'd like to be now?

does being a fairy dinosaur princess not sound like the fucking coolest thing ever, like right up there next to nazi robot super-shark?

also, what is your opinion on nazi super-science? do you think it is racially superior to normal super-science? what about fairy dinosaur princesses?
>>
>>25345922
>>25345971
>Glasses
From what I'm reading on Bennings website there is an 8+/- corrective limit, and I'm fairly sure I'm over that limit. Not pop-bottle tier, but my eyes are definitely shit.
>>
What do you suggest first: Ranger or RSLC?
>>
>>25344389
IVE BEEN AROUND THE WORLD AND BACK AGAIN

AIRBORNE RANGER, AIRBORNE RANGER, HOW DID YOU GO?
>>
>>25345101
thanks for the info.
I'll pick up the pace on my running now, with this as my goal before I consider 2 cdo selection after Singleton.
>>
>>25345814
what happened to ricky
>>
File: 1418450331612.jpg (340 KB, 1928x1144) Image search: [Google]
1418450331612.jpg
340 KB, 1928x1144
>>25345437

thanks anon

im a skellington and my dream is SF
>>
>>25346297
he jerked off too much so jesus killed him. happens a lot.
>>
File: 1427866213251.gif (73 KB, 600x563) Image search: [Google]
1427866213251.gif
73 KB, 600x563
I wonder how the few /k/ faggots that manage to get an option 40 contract washed out.
>>
>>25345922
How old are you and how old were you when you enlisted?
>>
>>25346427

these rare pepes are out of hand
>>
Have you worked with anyone in AFSOC before? If you have what was your/the battalions opinion of them
>>
>>25343331
Airborne ranger airborne ranger where have you been?
>>
File: 1413179576813.jpg (86 KB, 1024x831) Image search: [Google]
1413179576813.jpg
86 KB, 1024x831
>>25346630
>>25345984
Please answer these, RangerBro.

Also: What's your MOS?

I've been thinking abut going 68w and going through SOCM and shit, but since my vision sucks I need a wavier and gotta volunteer at AIT.

Will I have a better chance since I'm a soft-skill MOS?

Bump with some Ranger pics
>>
>>25346966
Disregard that retarded ass question. Of course you're an 11b.
>>
>>25346966
yeah seriously, we need to know if you're a fairy dinosaur princess
>>
What are the majority of peering reasons other than because they didn't like some guy?
>>
>>25345957
I'd really try and get the a waiver and option 40 contract if you could. I'm not going to say you can't do what you're talking about, because honestly I don't know, but getting option 40 is your safest bet.

I didn't have airborne in my contract, in fact my RASP class is one of the very few were guys who volunteered in OSUT went to Airborne after RASP. They were trying it out to try and cut down on guys dropping out of the program.

>>25345984
No I don't know Ricky. Yes I know there's Rangers other then me on 4chan. And probably more who are at least on Reddit.

>>25346018
To be honest I didn't know there was a limit.

>>25346047
I know RSLC is often described as the 4th phase of Ranger School, but there's nothing saying you can't do it first. Actually we had a guy in my platoon who had done RSLC before Ranger School.

>>25346445
I'm 24 now and I was 20
>>
>>25343331

whatd you think of the darby queen? easy, meh, not hard enough?
>>
>>25347488
Why did you decide to go ranger? Would you do it again
>>
Whoops, missed these questions
>>25346966
So here's the thing about 68W, it's fucking stupidly hard to be a medic. Seriously getting through SOCM requires a fuckton of studying and being able to apply all that knowledge. And then when medics get to battalion they're still constantly training and studying all the new protocols that are coming out. It's worth noting that SOCM is hard as fuck too, more then a few 68Ws who made it through RASP failed SOCM and thus got kicked out.

Unless you know you have a love for medicine or studying I'd say stay away from being a medic. It's probably one of the hardest MOSs in battalion, even if most guys tell you infantry is the worst. The average guy doesn't know what goes into being a medic.

The thing is though, all that work pays off. We have literally the best combat medics in all of USASOC.
>>
>>25347538
I really am interested in medicine. My goal was PJ, but AF wanted to DQ me, so.

I read Leo Jenkin's book, seemed like a good challenge and figured it would would be fun as fuck.

But in regards to coming into Batt, being shit on, etc., how are medics treated compared to 11b's? I'm assuming you have to prove yourself of course and everything, but is Doc as revered as he is in movies?
>>
>>25347501
It was pretty meh. The only kind of hard part was this thing called the dirty name. It looks a lot like pictured. Basically you have to jump, then more or less muscle up yourself over the next log. A lot of guys had trouble with it.

Personally I passed the whole course. So long as you're decently fit you shouldn't have to much trouble with the obstacles. Even then it doesn't really matter. You only get one minor minus per obstacle for a total of three before they stop counting them against you. And none of your major or minor minuses from Darby get counted in Mountains or Florida. The most annoying part was getting smoked in between obstacles though.

>>25347505
I had some friends in ROTC who said I'd be a good fit so when the opportunity arised I jumped on it. Yeah, I'd change one or two minor things, but it's pretty good. I wouldn't say it's for everyone but I like it well enough.
>>
>>25347554
>I really am interested in medicine
Okay, then you'd be a good fit for a medic.

You're not treated as bad as your average 11b private. I mean you still get fucked with a bit because you are untabbed, but your life is generally better then all the 11bs. So long as you are completely retarded you won't get smoked and pimped out for every stupid detail that comes along, as much anyway. If your senior medic is a decent guy they'll try and send you to school fairly early.

Also if you're pretty good at your job, even if you don't have your tab guys won't fuck with you as much. Really though medics are awesome and pretty well treated. Just realize there's a lot of studying and training that goes into making a Ranger medic what he is. You'll catch more shit from your company senior medic then your platoon sergeant or any of the line guys.
>>
>>25343529
What company? I was in 1st, might know some Brothers there
>>
>>25347592
I'm in HHC right now.
>>
>>25347604
Ahh sounds good, just don't let the tab go to your head, Brother, don't be that douchebag ha ha
>>
>>25347588
Good to go man, thanks for answering btw.

You should hang out and post more often, it'd be cool to get some Ranger thoughts here.

(Besides ricky)
>>
File: para-afghan-WZwCH3T.jpg (109 KB, 730x487) Image search: [Google]
para-afghan-WZwCH3T.jpg
109 KB, 730x487
Were there any foreign soldiers on your course?

I've seen quite a few British Army and Royal Marines wearing the Ranger tab now.
>>
>>25343485
Did those gloves last you the whole course? I'm an IN LT heading to RS soon and starting to buy the packing list now. I've destroyed a pair of nomex gloves and HWI gloves just through IBOLC and I want some that I know will last.
>>
>>25344506
More like
"SEEEEEEEEEE WUN DIRTY ROLLIN DOWN DUH STREEEP"
>>
>>25345676
Dude rrc is a company.

Set your sights a little shorter for now.
>>
>>25348951
I know it's the 1000m target and I need to focus on getting into the army and RASP, I just don't want to fuck myself out of a clearance before even starting just cause I smoked weed 5 times like 5 years ago
>>
>>25347588
A ranger on here a while back said that there were medics who passed SOCM as were approaching E5 without much feild time/time outside medical building checking assholes and shit. Can you elaborate on this, or what happens to a medic once he passes SOCM
>>
What's the family life like? Does someone coming into the army married have to live in the barracks once they get to batallion or can they immediately move off post/on base?
>>
>>25346630
Please answer these man.
Or anybody whos worked with them at all im curious. Its a pretty small force and you never really hear stories about any of them
>>
>>25346630
We worked with some CCTs, I have a high opinion of them, I was around some PJs and was really unimpressed, the CCTs also did not have a high opinion of them, in fact one of them said "when we see PJs shooting, we know there is no chance thats where the enemy is".
>>
2/75?
>>
>>25343331

Did they do that thing where they interrogate you and you have to endure it without giving up information?
>>
OP, does your first name start with T?
>>
>>25345846
>>25346630

That's why he's a Ranger. The N stands for Knowledge.
>>
>>25345676

You're not even in the fucking Army and you want to be in a JSOC unit. Christ kid, let's see if your bitch ass can even make it through RASP.
>>
>>25349630
Im not sure how to feel about that. I plan on trying out for CCT once i get my free eye surgery so im glad they're respected.
Ive always thought PJs were a little overrated, im sure the pipeline is hard as fuck but i don't think they're the very best most elite personal in the military like a lot of AF guys think.
>>
>>25349705

yeah fuck ambition amirite

faggot
>>
>>25349821

If some kid posted on here how he wants to be an Olympic sprinter but doesn't even run on a fucking high school track team then you'd probably be apprehensive. Saying he wants to get into RRC is basically the same thing.
>>
>>25349850

wow even better, shit on the ambition of some starry eyed kid

faggot
>>
>>25343331
How often do you have to go around patrolling the park? Have you ever had to clear people out of the park because of a fire?
>>
File: deadliftstandard.png (25 KB, 639x370) Image search: [Google]
deadliftstandard.png
25 KB, 639x370
>>25345382
>>25345430
>>25345430

>easy

It's 3-4 years of solid lifting, without skipping any days, getting sick, and while eating right. So yes, it's nothing rare for a professional athlete, but it's far from "easy." I am kind of sick of all this "Everything is easy" shit.

This doesn't only apply to fitness. You will hear people yell that whatever they excel in inside their field is "easy." Yea - it's easy if you spent your life doing it, not so much from a lower starting point.
>>
File: 1425406287904.jpg (126 KB, 632x1060) Image search: [Google]
1425406287904.jpg
126 KB, 632x1060
>>25349873
>>
>>25349873
Get real nigger.
>>
>>25349925
>not skipping days to let your muscles regenerate and grow...
>>
>>25349818
I mean, I'm sure they would go through hell and back to patch me up if I needed it.

That just doesn't mean I want them behind me breaching a door, or in front of me with a compass.

>>25349850
Bullshit. If dude wants to get into RRC that's a good goal. He should be working out to ranger standards right now and get an option 40 contract when he gets out of school and can make the PT standard.

Honestly, RRC is a relatively attainable goal were it not such a small unit. He's still gonna have a blast in batt and then he can go to big army and get in a LRSC and do the recon stuff.
>>
>>25347894
There were a few; we had a Georgian guy and a guy from Thailand in my platoon. Also one of the RIs was from Netherlands.

>>25348793
They did, but I wouldn't advise you get them. It's not that they're not great gloves, but they're pretty expensive- I got a bunch of pairs issued to me- and guys loose gloves all the time.

Seriously guys loose shit all the time. And not just gloves, knives, socks, pens, camelbacks, just about anything and everything. Shit gets crazy when you're tired enough and it's easy to loose track of things under NODs. I almost lost my gloves multiple times, I'm honestly surprised I didn't.

My advice is to get a few cheaper pairs of gloves. Mechanix were pretty popular along with flight gloves.

>>25349575
Once you pass SOCM you'll go to a battalion. From there you might get stuck working in the battalion aid station for a bit, but they should kick you out to a company pretty quick. From there they'll assign you to a platoon and give you a senior medic to learn under.

Then you'll pick up into the training cycle. You'll do all the big training events and ranges with the company, and you'll do a bunch of medical training on top of that.

You still have to do normal sick call stuff for your company- guys who have a cough or need to get their dicks checked- but that's not your only job.

>>25349596
To be honest there's not a lot of it. Outside of training you'll never be required to live in the barracks. In fact if you're married/have kids you get a special housing allowance to go live off base.

Regiment is pretty hard on families though. During the training cycle you'll spend a lot of time away from your family training. The schedule gets pretty nuts. I know more then a few guys who left Regiment/got out of the Army due to wanting to spend more time with their families.
>>
>>25350024

Your work days...

>>25349818

>Ive always thought PJs were a little overrated

OH NO U DIDNT
>>
>>25349705
Jesus Christ bro I understand that, but there's no point fucking myself over at MEPs if it's easy enough just to get a waiver for smoking weed. And I know I'm on /k/ but that doesn't mean I'm not in shape. I've got 2 more years to perfect my PFT score and the only thing I have todo is take 2min off my 2mile and 3 off my 5 mile. I know it's a long shot but I'm sure as fuck not gonna let some faggot on /k/ deter me or tell me otherwise
>>
>>25350252
So yeah, first name start with a T?
>>
>>25350308
It's 2015 bro, everybody smokes fucking weed. Shut the fuck up, don't tell your recruiter, don't tell MEPS, don't smoke after you enlist, and then laugh with all your infantry buddies about how you wish you were pulling tubes.

Jesus Christ, they're not gonna hook you up to a polygraph and ask if you smoked plants.
>>
>>25350252
how much pizza did you eat after finishing school that last day? Or did you go straight to BBQ?
>>
>>25350308
you don't need a waiver, just keep you fucking mouth shut.
>>
>>25350322
Nope

>>25350342
The first day you're in from the field you do a dogex for lunch (hot dog barbecue) and then pizza that night. Personally I ate a whole Caesar's large pizza, a few extra slices from a friend, and some cookies and brownies from the RI's wive's bake sale.

>>25350308
Don't say you smoked weed. They're not giving out a lot of waivers these days. If you don't bring it up nobody will know.

>>25349650
Nope, that's SERE school.

>>25347120
Guys who just didn't know their shit or were constantly falling asleep beyond how bad everyone else was. Also if guys complained a lot or never carried their share of the squad equipment.

>>25346630
CCTs/JTACs. They're pretty cool guys. They know all their shit and they get to call in a lot of ordinance. I don't really know about PJs, were usually supported by our own medics, 160th, and a special surgical team.
>>
File: noonecares.jpg (236 KB, 500x544) Image search: [Google]
noonecares.jpg
236 KB, 500x544
>ITT

No one fucking cares if you went to Ranger School.
Going to ranger school doesn't make you a ranger, being in the 75th Ranger Regiment does. All ranger school says is that you went to a leadership course and were cold and wet and hungry and all you have to show for it is a tab no one cares about and some promotion points.

>be in shitty mechanized 3ID or similar unit
>go to ranger school
>come back to mech unit
>still in the Bradley
>nothing is different
Kek.
>>
>>25350409
and then there's this asshole.
>>
>>25350404
Have you been to SERE?
Have you worked with MARSOC/SF/SEALs in Astan?
>>
>>25350423
he said what that wasn't true?
>>
>>25350409
Glad to see you read the thread.

>>25350436
Nope, I haven't been to SERE.

And apart from Devgru, no. SF, MARSOC, and baby SEALs were all in a different task force then us.
>>
>>25350404
Why is 3/75 so jacked up?
>>
>>25350471
How was it working with dev? They real deal professionals?
>>
>>25350409(faggot)
>you
>not being a shitposting cunt
Crawl back into your mom's gaping cunt and die will you
>>
Did you willingly choose 2/75 or were your orders there?
>>
>>25345633

Depends on how long his hair is...If he has long hair, they could test that and get him for the shit from upwards of a year prior.
>>
>>25350455
I literally asked the first question in the thread, if OP was a real ranger or just tabbed.
>>
>>25350404
You're in mcchord right? We should hang out sometime, I'm stationed in Fairchild
>>
>>25350618
I'm talking about if I ever need a higher clearance than Secert. Not MEPs themselves
>>
>>25350686
I had TS, I didn't even know until they told me "your TS clearance was approved".
>>
>>25350800
Did you lie about anything that could be subjected to a TS though?
>>
>>25350834
Yes I did, agent smith.
>>
>>25345598
In the canadian forces they make you fill out a drug sheet basically under oath. I had pot and the captain asked me about it and i said it was a highschool thing and i hadn`t done it in a year and he said k, cool. It was no big deal.
>>
>>25350863
Haha. Okay. I'm just trying to start my career off right. I'll take /k/s advice and not mention it. I'll be back here in 10 years complaining that lrsfag told me to lie if I don't get a clearance
>>
>>25350947
How are they gonna find out you smoked weed? They aren't gonna call up your high school buddies and water board them until they admit to smoking a bowl with you. Don't sweat it, dogg.
>>
Idk if you're still there ranger, but if I can do 57 push ups and 56 situps in a minute, mile in 7:07, how well could I do?
>>
>>25352618
You need more pushups because that is borderline and your form is probably not perfect.

That is not enough situps to pass.

A one mile run is a joke and its not enough of a work out for you. The standard PT test requires a 2 mile run, the ranger standard is 5 miles in under 40 minutes, so you probably wouldn't have the endurance to do that if you're only running a mile at a time, and its taking you 7 minutes.
>>
>>25343331
During the PT test do they still make the Merrils platoon do it with you?
>>
>>25344552
>army
>not perpetual boot

Pick one
>>
>>25353178
What's the difference between LRS and Rangers?
>>
File: allmuhwut.jpg (47 KB, 1477x991) Image search: [Google]
allmuhwut.jpg
47 KB, 1477x991
hey op thanks for this thread. lots of good info here
>>
>>25354497
LRS is the modern incarnation of the LRRP units. During Vietnam all LRRP units got turned into little mini ranger recon units.

Today LRS members are supposed to be "ranger qualified" (i.e. tabbed) and they are tasked with the performance of ranger missions.

So the difference is that LRS are airborne infantry performing ranger missions, and are (in theory, in reality, not everybody ends up going to RS/RSLC) ranger qualified. But not necessarily rangers. (being an actual ranger means being in the regiment, though some people think that being in LRS makes you a ranger, it doesn't matter to me)

LRS units almost never engage in direct action missions, and nowadays, thats the primary role of the regiment. You might say that LRS has taken over the traditional role of the rangers as they have transitioned into a DA expeditionary force.

If the question is "who is more operator", it is, hands down, the regiment.
>>
>>25355145
It was me, forgot my name.
>>
>>25355171
Interesting.

Couple more questions if you will.

Can I get into an LRS unit as a 68w?

Do you receive a bigger budget/better equipment than Big Army units?

What's a typical op for an LRS unit? And I'm sure that sounds asinine, but as far as standard missions.
>>
>>25355194
>Can I get into an LRS unit as a 68w?

Yeah, we had medics in the company, but they didn't go on recces with us. I don't really know why we had them, to be honest. I guess in case we had to function as a regular line company.

>Do you receive a bigger budget/better equipment than Big Army units?

Yes, we had nicer kit, and cool toys. (suppressors, zodiak boats, harris radios, cool guy shit that I didn't even fuck with that had to do with HALO/HAHO jump gear etc)

>What's a typical op for an LRS unit?

In theory or in practice? Theoretically, LRS units are 100 miles ahead of the nearest friendly unit for a week plus at a time watching an objective and relaying info back to higher. Normally inserted by helo (but capable of any kind of insertion) and then a decent hike in to the hide site, stare at the OBJ, and then walk out to get picked up by a helo or catch a SPIES extract.

In real life, set up OPs on a rooftop to provide over watch or spot IED teams, maybe point recon to supply intel to SOCOM units.

I hear dudes in afghanistan got to do some real LRS missions, but they were few and far between.

The sniper section gets to do their thing.

Mostly though, walk out, sit down, watch shit, send a radio transmission (repeat for days), go home.
>>
>>25355316
You get halo/haho as LRS? Seems like they're the arms version of force recon
>>
>>25355316
How does one get to an LRS unit
>>
>>25355403
>You get halo/haho as LRS?

"You" is a loose way of putting it. I didn't, but LRS units are supposed to maintain the capability. So, real world this means that its not always there, but hypothetically each of the various teams in the company are supposed to have their own specialty. (waterborne insertion, haho, halo, etc) My unit didn't actually work that way though. We were going through a reorganization and going from a detachment sized element to a full company. We did have some halo/haho qualified dudes.

> Seems like they're the arms version of force recon

This is an apt comparison, especially since neither organizations fall under SOCOM, but are considered "special operations capable". But I understand that USMC FR takes on a lot of direct action roles now. So the similarity is probably fading.

>>25355416
In the national guard you can actually enlist straight into one if slots are available. In the regular army you usually have to try out, but sometimes can just get dropped in one. Its not something you get in a contract or anything.
>>
>>25355593
Are they all 11bs? They still put up with big army bullshit or do they get to train?
>>
>>25350409
Where did you get that Hawaiian shirt? Pick it up after you failed RASP?
>>
>>25355676
>Are they all 11bs?

They all? Yes, everybody on the recon teams is an infantryman. What else would they be? You know all the dudes in the line companies at 75th are 11b as well, right? They're not gonna be 18 series guys obviously. And its an infantry unit, so no cav or engineers or whoever else likes to pretend to be "just like infantry, but...".

And then we of course have a section of riggers, a dedicated commo section, and all the supply/headquarters types as well as some attached dudes from MI, but they don't go on missions. Neither do the officers or the platoon sergeants.

>They still put up with big army bullshit or do they get to train?

We wore woodland BDUs in the field, had relaxed grooming standards, and were left alone by the battalion/brigade generally. A lot of times we weren't even training in the same area as them.

I vastly preferred it to being in line units/being in cav units.
>>
>>25355816
I was thinking it was 19ds. Sounds like a cool medium between SOCOM and conventional units
>>
>>25355907
Nah, its real recon. Not driving around in a humvee checking the slope of a hill.

All dudes on the teams are airborne 11b, e4 and above are supposed to be tabbed or RSLC grads.
>>
>>25355816
Hmm. Do you have 13F's and 68W's attached to you? Or is it just bravo's out there and they are trained all all those support roles?
>>
>>25355967
RSLC?
>>
>>25354532
What the fuck is going on in this pic? Are the police raiding the invitational for some reason?
>>
>>25356115
Yes we had 68w, but they didn't go on missions, I dunno why we had them.

Never had 13F in LRS. I was the RTO, calling for fire was something I practiced constantly until I had it down in my sleep. But generally, thats not what you're out there for. You're really just supposed to watch the OBJ and send text messages or pictures back to higher for a while, then you get extracted.

>>25356175
Recon and Surveillance Leaders Course. Like a mini ranger school but specifically geared towards LRS missions and without as much of the smoke sessions and stuff.
>>
>>25356372
Does regiment have LRS units for their 11Bs or is that what RRC does? Do they have a LRSC?
>>
>>25356424
The RRC is the regiment's LRSC.
>>
>>25356372
Thanks for the info. Sorry if it's a little redundant, just trying to wrap my head around what you guys do.

I'll look more into it, sounds bretty cul.
>>
>>25345655
Haha did ant face/Asian guy make it?
>>
>>25356679
No sweat. Its not a well known part of the army.
Thread replies: 210
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.