[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fictional SpecOps Unit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6
File: SWCC.jpg (2 MB, 2100x1500) Image search: [Google]
SWCC.jpg
2 MB, 2100x1500
Hey /k/, I'd like some of your insightful wisdom please.

Being on 4chan, I'd like to assume quite a few of us like weebshit, and enjoy the occasional anime/manga. Well, I've always wanted to sort of do something like that, and I've always liked military shit. See where I'm going with this?

I wanted to start working on a light novel. Since it's weebshit, I think I can get away with some artistic freedom, but still wanted to try and portray a rather plausible scenario, real-world situations, and a certain degree of modern geo-politics.

To get to the point, I wanted to ask how plausible it is for a special operations unit specifically designed for ground insertion/extraction operations be? My first thoughts against it would be:

>You're putting more lives on the line to save a few, in a particularly hazardous environment.
>It seems rather costly, resource-wise. I assume a unit like this would warrant tier-1 funding, and I don't want to portray them as too glamorous.
>From what I've seen, rescue groups have very conservative methods and tactics. Rushing in with infantry fire squads seems retarded.

But, nobody wants to read the story of a regular grunt, and we all know military shit never sells well (not that I intend to sell at all. I just want an audience. Don't you guys have stories in your heads you wanna share?), so it'll have a bit of tacticool high speed shit going on. Any opinions?
>>
Please leave /a/ faggot!!
>>
File: Read A Book Nigger.jpg (66 KB, 566x480) Image search: [Google]
Read A Book Nigger.jpg
66 KB, 566x480
>>24160774
>Rescue groups have very conservative methods and tactics. Rushing in with infantry fire squads seems retarded.
Well aren't you fucking clever.
Why would someone try rescuing another by rolling into the same situation, in the same manner, that landed said individual in a rescue worthy pickle.

Read up on para rescue or the 160 SOAR if you're interested in operator tier insertion/extraction that might or might not involve rescue.
>>
>>24160939
Did a quick Google search
>"Its missions have included attack, assault, and reconnaissance, and are usually conducted at night, at high speeds, low altitudes, and on short notice."

I guess I should've fleshed my ideas out a bit more. There's obviously going to be some light air support, most likely from a chopper. They're gonna charge in, and try to generally flank whatever has anybody pinned, and provide fire support.

Just flashier, tacticool, and gimmicky. Just enough fire to recover whoever's there, and pull them out. Likewise, they'd be in suicidal fire team situations where they'd have to suppress/light up a place to provide cover for other, higher-priority groups and whatever the fuck they're doing.
>>
Anything else I should bother reading up on?
>>
>>24160774
>>24161138
OP what you're describing is a QRF (quick reaction force) team. A force that's basically on call to be quickly back up which ever main force is currently in trouble.

A QRF team isn't a specific unit, anybody can be on QRF because loading yourself on and off a helicopter rapidly is an easy skill to acquire. Once you're off the helicopter it's all just the standard react to contact/engage the enemy affair that everybody is use to.

As far as actual pilots go, the best, most "operator" are going to be the 160th.
>>
>>24161248
weaponry
tactics
aircraft specifications and performance
communications theory and equipment
ballistics
tactics
international strategy
uniforms
rank relationships
interservice cooperation and rivalries
military history
global politics
ethnic and cultural practices of your chosen region(s)
military acronyms and common vernacular
and a few other minor things...
>>
File: skeptical MARSOC girl.jpg (283 KB, 513x538) Image search: [Google]
skeptical MARSOC girl.jpg
283 KB, 513x538
>>24160774
Hey, try to get a decent artist too.
LN's are basically picture books right?
>>
>>24161340
I realize there's a shit ton of stuff I need to read up on. I've been lurking /k/ for a while now, but the sheer amount of encyclopedic knowledge of stuff I have to go over is beyond me. I'll probably research into the stuff you guys have mentioned tomorrow, but off the top of your heads, are there any books you guys recommend in particular?

>>24161313
>A QRF team isn't a specific unit, anybody can be on QRF because loading yourself on and off a helicopter rapidly is an easy skill to acquire. Once you're off the helicopter it's all just the standard react to contact/engage the enemy affair that everybody is use to.

One of the premises of the story is the MC used to be a regular grunt. Shit happened in Undisclosed East European Country Of Interest, and they were sent in to try and hold back the opposition, but MC's squad got rekt by artillery and CAS. Whole thing was a fiasco, but MC's mentor or whatever suggest applying for a specialized unit that focuses on this. The reasoning behind it is, more experienced, veterans of firefights and heavy shit have already survived intense encounters, and have the (incoming bullshit weebshit) instincts and skills necessary to react and charge in and hold an area until they bail their buddies out.

>>24161376
[spoiler]I know these don't work here, but whatever. I've tried contacting a couple nip artists, got no reply from either because I'm a bakka gaijin. Given the apparent lack of artists into military shit, I've heavily considered just flat out doing them myself ;_; Not that I expect any of this to really take off [/spoiler]
>>
File: 47556320_p0.png (1 MB, 1639x822) Image search: [Google]
47556320_p0.png
1 MB, 1639x822
>>24161414
I'm sure you can get some talented weeb western artist to help you out.
Sure, they're rarer than .22LR, but they do exist.
>>
>>24161414

>http://soldiersystems.net/2014/11/01/gunfighter-moment-mike-pannone-23/

>People often make comments about combat experience or shootouts for LE and though it is the final test it does not mean those who have not experienced it cannot perform just as well. The men of the 101st that parachuted into Normandy were almost entirely without combat experience, the men that were selected for the Son Tay prison raid in 1970 were not required as a right of selection to the force to have combat experience. Some did not although there were literally 500 initially screened in a time when most in SF had multiple combat tours in RVN. American military performed extremely well in Afghanistan and later Iraq with little or no combat experience at the outset of each operation. Training predicts performance and it has for centuries.
>>
>>24161414
>The reasoning behind it is, more experienced, veterans of firefights and heavy shit have already survived intense encounters, and have the (incoming bullshit weebshit) instincts and skills necessary to react and charge in and hold an area until they bail their buddies out.
Okay then, just make it up and call them whatever. I'm just telling you there is no real life equivalent for that role. But it's not like you're not allowed to make stuff up for a fictional story.
>>
File: kandahar boardwalk.jpg (413 KB, 1396x1169) Image search: [Google]
kandahar boardwalk.jpg
413 KB, 1396x1169
and attention to detail
e.g.
>>24161425 TF Kandahar
>cant be the real Ktown becoz no globelts and TGIF
>>
>>24161447
>>24161437
>Training predicts performance and it has for centuries.

Well, that hit the nail pretty good on the head. I have heard stuff like that before.

I'm not confident enough in my knowledge of military shit where I want to go into super detail, but I want to make something worth reading, is entertaining, and seems plausible. I've ran into too many shitty, flimsy fanfics along the way that I stop and think this is just a pointless endeavor, but who knows. Would any of you guys actually read this?

>>24161425
I've been looking. Though, I wish /k/ had more draw threads. I've been wanting to practice stuff, and /a/ is shit for this kind of stuff.

On a somewhat unrelated note, how likely are the following scenarios in a real-world situation:

>Taking out a chopper with 40mm tube-launched grenades
>Having to go back and retrieve important intel (You see this shit in games all the time. How often is intel actually carried in briefcases on someone's person anyways?) despite there being an impending strafing run in the area, and a high risk of friendly fire.
>>
>>24161495
Depends on what kind of chopper.
I'd assume a 40mm grenade could mess a helicopter up pretty bad.
>>
File: btdt tshirt to prove it.jpg (115 KB, 604x654) Image search: [Google]
btdt tshirt to prove it.jpg
115 KB, 604x654
>taking out a chopper with a 40mm?
Yeah, NZ SAS tried this to a S-70Blackhawk in East Timor - unfortunately he was a passenger in the aircraft at the time, the round went straight down through the floor, didn't arm until it left the bird behind, and they survived but had to turn back.
>>
>>24161513
Saw a video of an Apache getting shot at with an AK, and it fucked up the second guy pretty bad. I'd assume a well placed shot at the tail rotor could take it down.

>>24161528
Interesting.

Thanks guys. I kinda felt bad about making this thread, since I guess it's nothing I couldn't have solved by just flat out lurking more in the right threads, and taking shots in the dark with research. That whole extraction fire team thing always bugged me, though.

Since I can't delete the thread at this point, if you guys don't mind, why not just let it turn into a general discussion on this. Any ideas/thoughts/comments?

Any particular military weeb tropes I should avoid?

>Group encounters spec ops
>"They're too strong! I can't even hit them! One second they're there, the other they're gone"

I see this often, and despite thinking it's bullshit, I can't see myself completely avoiding it.
>>
>>24161560
>Any particular military weeb tropes I should avoid?

Yes. Cute high school girls doing all this shit
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.