[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I plan to sail around the world what's the best firearm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: sailboat.jpg (268 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
sailboat.jpg
268 KB, 1600x1200
I plan to sail around the world what's the best firearm to have on board considering I am good marksman.

Why do many recommend shotguns?
I would rather neutralize a target before they get on board.
>>
>>22810608
>I would rather neutralize a target before they get on board.

Extremely unlikely you'd know they are a "target" before they are well within shotgun range. 12g shotgun ammo is available all over the globe. Many other ammo types can be tougher to come.

Shotgun looks less "scary" so if you pull into a nogunz port you might have less of a chance of getting screwed with.

I'd still get a mini14 or some other "fudd-style" but high-cap rifle as well though.

Now tell me more about this day dream sail around the world shit.
>>
>>22810701
>Extremely unlikely you'd know they are a "target" before they are well within shotgun range
I am a fucking dumbass

Anyways I know this sounds way too fucking romanticized but it is what I plan to do
>>
What kind of boat?

I went through a boat phase. I fucking love schematics and deck plans.
>>
>>22810792
Something small I was thinking Contessa 26
>>
>>22810730

Don't let others ruin your fantasies. I'm still dreaming about my own personal airship.

I kinda want a touring submarine... that would be a badass job, offering underwater tours in some area with lots of shipwrecks, reefs, etc.
>>
>>22810822

I like the Catalina 32, that was one of the coolest layouts.

I would recommend a large caliber long range weapon with a scope, and good binoculars. If you see them holding weapons, shoot first and book it.
>>
>>22810824
>Don't let others ruin your fantasies
Many try but it only adds to the satisfaction factor once I see the sense of surprise in their eyes

>I kinda want a touring submarine... that would be a badass job, offering underwater tours in some area with lots of shipwrecks, reefs, etc.
kek maybe sometime in the future this will become a thing.I think it already is somewhere

>>22810854
>large caliber long range weapon with a scope, and good binoculars
yeah this is what I was thinking too but it will probably become a pain in the ass when docking in
>>
>>22810730
>I am a fucking dumbass
no, you're just like everyone else.

I wasn't trying to totally rain on you're parade.

Have you looked at the documentary that used to be on travel channel? Guy that lived on a catamaran for a few years with his goofy fucking dog and random sluts?
>>
>>22810880
This guys sounds like he is living the dream
>>
>>22810880
please sauce me the documentary
not op but very interested by your description rofl
>>
>>22810608
always keep in mind buckshot is pretty weak shit beyond 25 yards or meters

even slugs probably aren't good past 100
>>
I live for boating, and I use an FNAR and Sig P226 for when I'm sailing. Both are great guns, I always have the Sig on me.

Shannon 38 owner
>>
>>22810608
Mini 14 all the way
>>
>>22810608
Whatever it is you had better have a plan for hiding it unless you want to get raped in some 3rd world prison
>>
File: 381693.jpg (137 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
381693.jpg
137 KB, 880x660
>>22810608
Something that is reliable, powerful enough to sink another person's boat and capable of long distance shooting is what you need.

A .460 Weatherby Magnum would be perfect. Hell, .460 Weatherby is one of four cartridges approved for whale hunting.
>>
>>22810910
>>22810915
y'all must be young. There was no way to escape these shows on travel when I was young in the 90s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJbG23qEry8

Just search around there is an obscene amount of footage from this guy. Made tons of movies, tv series, etc. from all the stuff he did
>>
File: Cookie Monster Militia.jpg (356 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Cookie Monster Militia.jpg
356 KB, 1920x1200
>>22810608

>Why do many recommend shotguns?

Reliable, you can hunt anything with it, you can get a mariner model which is rust proofed against sea water.

>I would rather neutralize a target before they get on board.

If you're getting boarded by pirates (IE a group that won't be dissuaded by a shotgun) and your by yourself you're fucked. You either let them take you hostage or they'll take an RPG to your boat and shoot your ass as you try not to drown.

>what's the best firearm to have on board considering I am good marksman.

Like I said fighting pirates is out unless you're suicidal so your concerns should be, defending yourself while in port and hunting game if you get stranded somewhere (or if you just want to tie up and have some fun).

To that end I'd get a Mariner pump shotgun (12 gauge), a Glock 19 pistol you can carry with you if you have to go a shore in a crime ridden port and a .22 rifle or pistol for hunting small game in case you get stuck on a desert island.
>>
>>22810980
just keep enough cash to grease them palms
>>
>>22811029
oh yeah they Cerakote 870s now
>>
>>22811016
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsCZhL38I1I
>>
>>22811016
I thought it was a onetime thing can't wait till I binge watch this goofy motherucker
>>22810980
I am not planning on hiding anything it is really easy to get caught and when you you get fucked pretty hard.
>>22811001
Actually this sounds pretty good
>>
What's the deal with bringing a gun into a foreign port?

What if you just leave it on your boat?

I feel like you could easily be accused of weapons smuggling and disappear into 3rd world jail
>>
>>22811016
holy shit that show is badass

there is nothing like that on today, as far as I know

>i'm imagining the CNN food guy going into a warzone to check out the wildlife and food
>>
>>22810877

I meant like a .50 cal.

If you spot someone heading towards you with guns(or notice them trying to hold guns discretely), start shooting them at the waterline while they are far away
>>
>>22811062
they have to keep the flash rust away some how
>>
>>22811068
>>22811078
yeah the guy did some crazy shit. it was original "reality tv"

>>22811064
>>22811064
more
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0nG67zO6eU
>>
>>22811079
Barret 50. cal would actually be pretty ideal I think, the difficulty of using a heavy, advanced weapon like that would probably be more than compensated by the fact that you could rip holes in the hull of anyone fucking with you, but if you had that thing in your boat in a bunch of countries you'd probably get fucked in the ass by coast guards and harbor patrols
>>
>>22811075
>What's the deal with bringing a gun into a foreign port?

that depends on the port, friend, of which there are thousands upon thousands.
>>
I'd recommend a high powered bolt action with a good scope. Get something in 7mm remington magnum, or larger. Or you could always go full poorfag and by a nugget and put a scope on it, then get a spam tin then brake out the can when shit goes down.
>>
>>22811075
this shit happens way too often
>>22811029
Well if pirates do approach me I would rather take a chance of winning a firefight rater than become the somali pirates buttboy
>>
>>22811120
he wants to actually hit stuff not blow himself up

go with a new rifle OP
>>
File: afghan.jpg (384 KB, 1247x830) Image search: [Google]
afghan.jpg
384 KB, 1247x830
>>22811118
Well if you want to sail around the world, that's a pretty big issue, isn't it? You're probably going to go to at least one or two ports that aren't cool with it, I would imagine. Considering international gun laws.
>>
>>22810608
You need to consider the laws of firearm possession of the foreign ports you enter before stowing a gun on board.
>>
cant find a stream of this particular episode but probably the most relevant to the thread
https://dstore.com.au/buy/alby-mangels-33-the-great-atlantic-crossing--sailing-catamaran-from-africa-to-south-america-dvd-13781658
>>
>>22810608
>gonna sail round the world
>afraid of pirates

lol
>>
>>22811127

They mainly want to ransom you off. They've got plenty of women to rape so unless you're extraordinarily small and feminine I don't think its an issue.
>>
File: BigGuy.jpg (55 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
BigGuy.jpg
55 KB, 1280x720
>>22811281
Not feminine at all besides I could probably take out most of them unarmed since I have been doing various martial arts for more than ten years and won various tournaments.The thing is [spoiler]no one would pay my ransom ;_; [/spoiler]
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.