[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How prepared is /k/ for a potential happening? Are you full
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 16
File: innawoods part 1.png (333 KB, 1000x1200) Image search: [Google]
innawoods part 1.png
333 KB, 1000x1200
How prepared is /k/ for a potential happening?

Are you full on panic room, doomsday prepper tier, with a bugout bag and everything, or do you pay no heed to this fad? You ever gone out camping in a wood? Or hunting?

What are you experiences with stuff like that?

Also infographic thread
>>
File: innawoods part 2.png (350 KB, 1000x1200) Image search: [Google]
innawoods part 2.png
350 KB, 1000x1200
>>22361354
>>
File: innawoods part 3.png (449 KB, 1000x1200) Image search: [Google]
innawoods part 3.png
449 KB, 1000x1200
>>22361378
>>
File: innawoods items.png (757 KB, 1622x977) Image search: [Google]
innawoods items.png
757 KB, 1622x977
>>
I have a question, what bag should I use for my bug out bag? I know what should go in it, but not what to put it in.
>>
File: 1365231039071.jpg (38 KB, 600x491) Image search: [Google]
1365231039071.jpg
38 KB, 600x491
>>22361752
Get really fat, then lose weight, cut and sew at your extra skin until you have flaps and pouches in your own body that you can stow items in. Always have your kit on you.
>>
File: 1378509873824.jpg (25 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1378509873824.jpg
25 KB, 400x400
Could there be a way to adapt this design into like, a permanent structure? Say I just want to set up a solar still by my desert house that I can throw cacti and shit into to cook the water out and have it go to a collection tank?
>>
Daily reminder that if your plans include a bob the only thing you are prepared for is a lonely death.
>>
File: trench shelter.png (226 KB, 723x1057) Image search: [Google]
trench shelter.png
226 KB, 723x1057
>>
File: Etool.jpg (11 KB, 277x288) Image search: [Google]
Etool.jpg
11 KB, 277x288
>>22361951
>>22361856
Is there like a hole digging school you can go to to learn how to conveniently and quickly dig deep enough, and good enough holes for shit like this with just a dinky entrenchment tool
>>
>>22361856
Of course.
just consider scale and materials.
Instead of a small hole, dig a pit or build a building.
instead of a little piece of saran wrap, use a big clear piece of plastic draping or even a conical piece of smoked glass or plastic.
instead of scraps of green plants, use bushes or other fullscale growth.
Instead of a cup, use a 50gal drum...

If you understand the science of why this thing works...it should be easy to engineer it bigger.
>>
>>22361789
Underrated post
>>
>>22362051
are you for real? do you want a 2000 chapter manual on how to wipe your own ass as well?

i cannot believe someone can be as pathetic as you. this is some basic fucking knowledge. you ever play in the sandpit as a kid? there, you already know how to dig a fucking hole.
>>
>>22362051
Yea I heard full sail university offers a 3 month course in digology
>>
>>22362051

yes, it's called being an e-1
>>
>>22362051
The school of fecal depositories and mineral based, viscous humerus joint lubricants.

Assholes and elbow grease..
For christs sake, its ditch digging...hard, menial labour. The best school here is physical conditioning.
>>
>>22361378
But anon, my swiss army knife does have pliers, they are small as fuck, but they are on there
>>
>>22362135
>>22362137
>>22362142
>>22362143
Digging in a sand pit is very different from actually digging in dirt, it was about an hour for my father and I to dig a hole big enough to plant a small tree, and we needed a spading fork, pickaxe, and a few shovels to get it done, would have probably broken one of those NATO microshovels.

That being said, the earth here is more rocks than it is soil and said soil is mostly a hard, dry clay.
Is it easier to dig in other parts of the world?
>>
>>22361752
The only real advice:
Anything smaller than 35L is too small to fit everthing you need for 3 days innawoods.
Anything smaller than 50L is too small to fit everything inside of the bag without relying on cargo straps.
Anything designed for school or those ilbe assault packs sans e frame pack is too small for use.

If you want specific brands or products, ask /out/, and choose the cheapest yet biggest option. Yes, they will pitch shit that is retardedly overpriced, but itll give you a starting point.
my advice: high sierra makes decent bags...
>>
>>22362214
no shit, but its the same fucking motions, same techniques, same everything but tools and what you are digging

how fucking dense are you, kid?

>Is it easier to dig in other parts of the world?

seems like you are fucking horrendously dense, kid. OF COURSE IT IS. how ignorant do you have to be to not know that other parts of the world will have different soil mixtures?

i mean come on, how fucking stupid can one person be, kid?
>>
>>22362256
>only real advice for my area of the world

fixed, stop being so ignorant
>>
>>22361945
Nightly reminder that if your plans dont include a bob the only thing you are prepared for is becoming yet another body in the confused, panicked masses struggling to leave the area of a disaster.
>>
>>22361856
Make it out of concrete. Water drains to a subterranean tank. Tempered glass panels instead of plastic. All of the gray water (sink) drains from your house tie into the input side. Once a week you rake the dried material out and add it to your compost pile.
>>
>>22362214
>an hour to dig a tree planting hole with full sized tools

I take 15-30 minutes to dig a dakota pit with a chink walmart knockoff of a nato etool in the soils typical of appalachian forests. dakota pits are about the size of a sapling planting hole.

Maybe your soil types make it harder for you; maybe youre a soft handed bitch...i dont know one way or the other, but as it stands: no one offers classes explicitly for digging holes.
Maybe if you roll through a forestery curriculum somewhere, youll have classes where ditch digging is an incidental part of the course, but no one teaches anything like "digging 101". Its a self-evident topic with a thought train as follows
>dig
>dont put the dirt back in the hole
>wear gloves if your hands hurt
>if you want a hole sooner, dig faster

Its literally just manual labour -- hard and tedious and only made better if you have power tools (I.e. a well bore or backhoe)
Sorry if this sucks, but this suck is why moms chide their children by saying "you dont wanna be a ditch digger do you?"..
because it fucking sucks and cant be made better by anything but a stronger body and a harder shovel.
>>
File: traps.jpg (183 KB, 1202x863) Image search: [Google]
traps.jpg
183 KB, 1202x863
>>
>>22362273
Hmm..
i guess you have a point, but please enlighten me as to where your fannypack jansport bitchbag will hold enough gear to survive for 3 days in your local wilderness?
>>
>>22361354
There's like a half dozen shtf and BOB threads going here and on /out/. Is there something I need to know about?
>>
File: more traps.jpg (558 KB, 1650x2118) Image search: [Google]
more traps.jpg
558 KB, 1650x2118
>>22362357
>>
>>22362398
>tfw I've done 3, 4, and 5 day hikes on the AT with a buttpack
Granted, I'd want more if it was an anything-goes survival situation, but it's not the amount of gear you schlep that will make the difference within a 72 hour window.
>>
>>22362398
i can survive in my local area with jsut what i can fit in my pockets + a container for water. thats it

its not the gear, its the knowledge.

survival is 90% mindset/moral, 9% knowledge and 1% gear.
>>
>>22362414
Well, there was a cat3 chimpout in MO, so i guess with that circulating in the media zeitgeist right now its stimulating people to think about "what if it happens HERE???"
>>
File: Dakota-Fire-Hole-Infographic.jpg (26 KB, 394x217) Image search: [Google]
Dakota-Fire-Hole-Infographic.jpg
26 KB, 394x217
>>22362351
>dakota pit
Shit, that's neat, I've never heard of that before.
>>
>>22362456
Unless you know knapping, a knife might be useful to have, otherwise you should be able to make it by good enough with nothing depending on your physical condition, environment and knowledge.
>>
File: deadfall.jpg (41 KB, 759x636) Image search: [Google]
deadfall.jpg
41 KB, 759x636
>>22362436
>>
>>22362453
My biggest deal is
>water
>shelter
>sleep system
>spare clothes

Sure, in a pinch you can make due without this, but old boy was asking about making a bag...as in, he wants to be well supplied, not just "in a pinch" ready.
I get your point though and can see doing a 5 day leisure hike with minimal supplies, but again: if im preparing for a shitstorm, id like a degree of safety engineered into my plans by carrying sufficient gear.
>>22362456
your mindset gets people killed when they try to emulate you.
>>
File: mosin nagant fishing.jpg (306 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
mosin nagant fishing.jpg
306 KB, 2592x1944
Remember that your nugget is your friend, it is your rifle, your spear, your club, your tent pole and your fishing rod.
>>
>>22362506
Yeah...theyre ok.
i mainly build them because it saves on having to gather stones for encirclement and the little airway gives you access to the fire's base for applying tender, fire etc.

Never have had it work for self sustained airflow, but having it confined like that increases overall temps of the wood and makes it easier to maintain.
definitely a thing i like!
>>
>>22362528
i can fit a knife in my pocket, retard. and yes i can knap, but there is no natural flint left in my local area, or even for a few 100km around it

>otherwise you should be able to make it by good enough with nothing depending on your physical condition, environment and knowledge.

stupidest thing i have read all week. its the equivalent of saying "you could fly if you had wings" - some retarded fuck head on /k/

>>22362557
not my fault people want to be cool without having the knowledge and experience to back it up

sucks to be them, not my problem though, thanks for crying on their behalf!
>>
>>22362585
> sucks to be them, not my problem though, thanks for crying on their behalf!

Easy there buck yeager...
>>
>>22362610
im not the one having a whinge because someone "might hurt themselves with your mindset!"

what are you going to say next, tell me to think of the children? im cool i get it, people want to emulate me, i get it. its not my fault nor is it my responsibility to hold their hands and guide them on their way to not being dumb fucks

if you want to lag around 60L pack which is full of useless shit, go right ahead. i wont, and ill do fine. fact is that im better than you at survival and you are a bit jelly, hence your comment about yeager.

you should try harder next time, kid
>>
>>22362571
If someone caught a fish with this, I would be impressed.
>>
>>22362662
I've seen a man catch a fish with nothing but tackle, line and his hands. No pole or reel, just pulled the fish in by hand. I'm sure a nugget rod would work fine, albeit uneccesarily heavy
>>
>>22362649
> im cool i get it, people want to emulate me

No no no...i dont think you get it. See, i think operating at a 100% calorie deficiency per day while suffering from minor dehydration and a chigger infestation because i failed to realise that making a sufficient camp, gathering clean water and hunting for food realistically arent all going to successfully happen in the same day is uncool.

So, you go ahead and have fun with you pocket lint and disentary...ill stick to my 35L bag full of enough water to not die of having soupy brown piss.
>>
>>22362214
The more moisture soil has, the easier it is to dig
>>
I'd say I'm fairly prepared

I grew up in the sc/out/s, have hunting experience, can shoot decently, can live innawoods if necessary
My biggest problem would be food. I have roughly a week and a half's worth, but a pretty good portion of it is refrigerated.

Scratch that, my biggest issue would probably be social skills. I'd probably alright if I never had to interact with others post-SHTF though.
>>
>>22362456
woah bear grylls/survivor man/dual survivor is posting on 4chan. JK even they wouldn't say something that fucking stupid.

You do realize those shows are based around surviving long enough till people rescue you/you find civilization.
Even those guys who, I'm sure are 10x better at it than you are, still struggle out there.

Plus your dumb ass is posting on 4chan. Stop trying to act like a badass.
>>
>>22362741
as i said, stop being so ignorant to think everyone lives in the same area as you do. i said I CAN SURVIVE in my area with just whats in my pockets + water container, and thats due to many years of experience. i never said you could, nor implied it. but by your own account, you state you are not as skilled as me in your own environment, hence your jealous and passive aggressive remarks. that combined with your ignorance makes you one dumb motherfucker.

>>22362814
again, you are ignorant. your the only person here talking about survival shows, i have no idea what made you go on that rant you just posted but i suspect its a bit of jealousy + projection.

no need to be a bitch about it.
>>
>>22362857
Yeah, well, i think youre a buck yeager tier blowhard, but whatever.

What environment do you survive in with such minimal gear?
>>
>>22362803
>social skills

Whats wrong with your social skills?
>>
>>22362957
I was raised by 4chan, that's what
I'm a spaghetti dropper
>>
>>22362934
i think your a jelly little bitch, and id also like to add i said what i can FIT in my pockets, not whats already in them. you need to learn to read whats typed and not what you want to see. where i live is a literal paradise on earth compared to 98% of the USA, which im so happy for considering the state of affairs in that crumbling shithole of a country.
>>
>>22362458
Yeah, I heard about that MO thing. What is wrong with people? We hire police to handle shooting troublesome minorities when necessary, and they make a complete botch of it. What ever happened to standards?
>>
>>22362975
>keeps talking about how hes going to kill people if they ban guns

the question was: what environement do you operate in?
>>
>>22363013
>keeps talking about how hes going to kill people if they ban guns

where did i say or imply that at all? you are fucking delusional.
>>
>>22362979
Im not wanting to stray off on that topic since there are threads for it already. I dont know much to begin with...

Either way, my point was that a "happening" is going on, so people are naturally being drawn to think about what theyd do when it "happens" for them.
>>
>>22363020
Im calling you buck yeager again. He made senseless rants about that back when feinstein was threatening an AWB after sandy hook.

Again though: you fail to answer directly concerning your environment.
>>
>>22363052
i live in paradise on earth compared to the USA.
>>
>>22363070
Oh ok
well, must be swell.
>>
>>22361354
almost maximum happening preparedness here,except for N/B/C happenins
especially for CA
>cough cough* pre-ban AR-15
>cough cough* 30 round 'rebuild kits'
>camping gear
>modern web gear
>trucks, atvs, cars
>generators
>aging supply of 300 MREs
>>
>>22363098
it really is, you have no idea
>>
>>22363070
So your mothers back yard?
>>
>>22362142
kek
>>
>>22363665
Don't call it that! It's -my- personal, private, woodland retreat. Totally off the grid in Washington state. No one knows of it and I could totally just ride through the shit storm, unlike you wimps.

I train everyday with my Airsoft AR-15, so when I get a real one I loot off the first mall ninja that comes close to my house I'll be ready to begin my Outer Heaven.
>>
>>22364358
And you have a REAL AR15 setted up the same way you got your AS one? Pics pls
What do you train?
>>
>>22362214
It took me 40 minutes to bury my dog in my garden ie digging a hole, putting him in, crying and filling it up with earth
>>
I've always wanted to design my house to be as sturdy as possible. I live in an area with lots of tornadoes so wanting to make my house into a fortress wouldn't look too odd, anyone got good ideas for making you're abode a liveable aboveground bunker?
>>
Has anyone innadesert guides?
>>
>>22363034
I already miss the Ebola threads. And Yellowstone. Seems like just yesterday the roads were melting in Yellowstone
>>
>>22361354

Sc/out/ here. Got into camping and stuff because of DofE and also, what played a larger part, planning for the zombie apocalypse (What else do you spend your science lessons doing?).

Now I'm a lightweight backpacker and I camp all the fucking time. My camping bag could easily serve as a form of bug-out bag. I could grab it and go at a moment's notice.
>>
>>22361378
all multitools are a ripoff.

if you have
>knife
>pliers
you have a multitool.
>>
>>22367303
>File
>Screwdriver
>Wire cutter
>Can & bottle openers
>Small saw

Why do ignorant people always feel the need to show off their ignorance?
>>
>>22364455
I have a fair feeling that you've been had.
>>
File: 51OmOlsTmoL._SY300_.jpg (23 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
51OmOlsTmoL._SY300_.jpg
23 KB, 300x300
>>22362051
here is the best guide I could rustle up on short notice.
>>
>>22361354

I'd like to point out for the innawoods guide that if you're carrying an axe and a saw then a large knife is going to be significantly less useful than a smaller knife. Nothing over 5".
>>
>>22361378
Serious question, what's wrong with a Gerber?
>>
File: 1371693483895.png (38 KB, 300x171) Image search: [Google]
1371693483895.png
38 KB, 300x171
>>22361428
>using a machete to cut wood like a hatchet
>>
File: 1378508508571.gif (71 KB, 644x684) Image search: [Google]
1378508508571.gif
71 KB, 644x684
>>22365183
Going innadesert sounds awful compared to innawoods.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.