[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Growler
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: jvfnegvszzjqorq3k90z[1].jpg (784 KB, 4256x2832) Image search: [Google]
jvfnegvszzjqorq3k90z[1].jpg
784 KB, 4256x2832
Can we discuss the Growler? A few questions:
- Is it replacing another plane or is it a new role?
- What other planes around the world fill this role?
- How important are they?
- What is the Air Force equivalent?
- Are they going to continue in service alongside F-35s, or will there be an F-35 version?

And I think it's very sexy. Discuss.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2860x1836) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2860x1836
>>28080326
>is EW a new role
>is it replacing something

Nigger are you dumb? No, EW is not a new role. Yes, it is replacing the EA6B Prowler
>>
>>28080361

Oh yeah I forgot about the Prowler. Why doesn't the air force have an equivalent?

What are foreign equivalents?
>>
>>28080326
>Is it replacing another plane
Replacing the Prowler in the EW role.
>what other planes around the world fill this role
I am not aware of any other purpose built EW platforms currently in service.
>how important are they
They preform a SEAD role as well as jamming enemy radars to allow strike aircraft to carry out their strikes
>what is the Air Force equivalent
Jammers mounted on standard airframes. They had the EA-111 Raven but not anymore
>is it going to continue in service along the f-35
For as long as the Super Hornets do, maybe longer.
>>
>>28080432

Why doesn't the air force have an equivalent though? Seems like it's essential. I've love to see an F-15 Growler so to speak. More realistically it would be an F-16 though I think.
>>
>>28080326
>Is it replacing another plane or is it a new role?
It's replacing the Prowler.

>What other planes around the world fill this role?
Pretty much every major power operates electronic warfare aircraft. The Growler offers unique capabilities however, in being carrier-based and using a fighter platform, allowing it to operate in Super Hornet formations and defend itself to an extent. The closest equivalent is the Tornado ECR, but it's not as dedicated to the role as the Growler. Plus basically being a Super Hornet helps in logistics a fair bit.

>How important are they?
Pretty damn important. They offer great capabilities in SEAD for one, as well as air defense.

>What is the Air Force equivalent?
The EC-130H I suppose, though they operate in very different ways.

>Are they going to continue in service alongside F-35s
Yes

>or will there be an F-35 version?
Maybe eventually, not for awhile.

Both the Growler and Super Hornet are expected to serve alongside the F-35 for a very long time.
>>
>>28080439
>>28080389
Considering that the Navy is going to be used for first strikes (outside of perhaps B1's, B2's -- but then your EW craft would need to keep up with them for range) I don't think the airforce really needs them, as, in theory, enemy radars and other sensors should be down by the time the airforce is there
>>
>>28080361
Damn that plane is sexy
>>
>>28080493

I guess that makes sense
>>
>>28080493
I know B-52s carried their own jamming equipment, not sure about B1s/b2s but it would surprise me
>>
>>28080326
>What other planes around the world fill this role?

Why do you keep asking this Gaggia?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.