[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Power stroke vs slide release
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 499x292) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 499x292
Which one do you use
I have been a slide release guy all my life never seen any benefits to stroking it
Can /k/ give me reason to stop using slide release
>>
>>28072082
Either way is fine.
>>
It can potentially be easier to pull back on the slide if you're left-handed, but out of all the pistols I've used I've only had one where it was an issue trying to press in the slide release with my left index finger.
>>
>>28072082
I used to be slide release all day long until a friend of mine pointed out when advocating for power stroke that not all handguns have slide releases and many of them are in different shapes, sizes, and locations. Power stroking is the same for all pistols and works on all pistols so it simplifies training and in a situation where you may be using a weapon you are unfamiliar with you won't dick around trying to find or fiddle with a slide release. If you like slide release and have practiced with it there isn't a reason to stop using it if you prefer it. What works for you is what works for you. After switching to the power stroke method I prefer it and like the fact that its a simple gross motor function and works well with any firearm.
>>
>>28072082
slide release since my cz and hk pistols have a actual slide release and not a slide stop like shit tier glawk and others, altho my p226 is a slide stop and in a awkward spot so i alternate between stroking or releasing (huehuehue) just depends on how dynamic im feeling that day
>>
might be alright to use the slide stop if you're shooting in a match or something, but repeated use will wear down the slide. it is more practical to power stroke because you aren't relying on fine motor skills and the gun will go into battery.
>>
Either is fine, but on some guns the slide release is so tiny that, with cold or damage fingers, it can be difficult or painful to press hard enough. Strokan is easier.
>>
>>28072082
Slide release. It's faster, can be used one handed, and feels much more natural.

>>28072136
I only purchase handguns with a slide release. Shitty slide stops are a no-go.
>>
>>28072128
this

anyone who says different doesnt actually shoot guns
>>
>>28072082
I was always taught to never slide release because in a stressful situation one of the first things you lose is your fine motor skills.
>>
>>28072082
Slide release my guns everytime and my friends guns on the first time, power stroke them the rest of the time
>>
Why is the slide cut out if the barrel is not ported? Is this some bullshit weight reduction high speed low drag garbage like where they stipple the entire lower and grind out 25% of the upper?
>>
>>28072128
>>28072215
>>28072810
Always the fine motor skills shit. What do you think it took to get the empty mag out in the first place? And god forbid you were carrying cocked and locked and had to work a safety lever. On any firearm with half-way decent ergos working the slide release is a simple slap with a thumb.
>>
File: 1441720928931.jpg (68 KB, 749x434) Image search: [Google]
1441720928931.jpg
68 KB, 749x434
>>28072862
>look at me guys i can hit a button half the size of a dime in a stressful situation where i may be fighting for my life and my heart rate may go up to 2x its normal rate! YOU guys are just a bunch of pussies!

tell us about the time you got over 300 confirmed kills too.
>>
>>28072082
Slingshot master race, power stroke is for faggots, slide release is for movies and tv.
>>28072851
Slide cutout is stock on long slide Glocks
>>
>>28072082
saw a video advocating power stroke. It wasn't really a motor skills argument but it was something about all slide stops are different and its just easier to pull the big slide instead of looking for a release.

makes sense to me.
>>
>>28072128
It's a good point, but that's a very unlikely scenario unless you are some super-operator that plans on disarming the immediate security or something. Realistically you are going to use your own gun which you probably have had the most time with. Picking up a gun you are not familiar with is even less likely to happen than losing access to your own gun.

The best approach is to master your operation of the gun you carry. If you feel slide release is feels better, then do that and keep the powerstroke in the back of your mind. If you feel powerstoke is better for you anyway, then you are already set.
>>
>>28072879
Not that guy, but my fine motor skills are fine in a stressful situation. My mental skills are what i worry about. I have to worry about not getting tunnel vision and my critical thinking goes out the window.
>>
File: E1.jpg (191 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
E1.jpg
191 KB, 640x480
>>28072082
I have a 92-style Beretta so slide release is best for me since powerstroking an open slide design is awkward. I sometimes do the slingshot by pulling from the back of the slide and if I'm ever in the situation where I need to pick up a gun I'm not trained on, I'd probably do the same slingshot maneuver.
>>
>>28072082
>Slide release
>Ever

For one a lot of guns don't actually consider a slide release, it's a slide stop.
Second it requires fine motor skill to use when stressed
Third you develop bad muscle memory for FTF and FTE scenarios
Fourth if you're slide doesn't lock back on the last round you're fucked
Fifth it just doesn't look operator desu senpai
>>
>>28072222
How did no one acknowledge this?
>checked
>>
>>28073101
Well this isn't /b/ so no one cares.
>>
>>28072918
>my fine motor skills are fine in a stressful situation.
have you actually ever been in a stressful situation? or are you just bullshitting and pretending you're special?
>>28072082
tap, rack, bang. I don't know why you would ever rely on your slide release. it's not like it's hard to power stroke. my carry gun doesn't even have a slide release.
>>
>>28072933
>powerstroking an open slide design is awkward.
practice then. I've never had a problem powerstroking my 92.
>>
>>28073136
How new are you?
>>
If you will check a great deal of company manuals refer to the lever commonly known as a "slide release" as a "slide stop" because its primary purpose is to stop the slide by being engaged into some sort of groove by the upward pressure of the follower.

Applying downward pressure to the slide catch lever is mostly incidental to it performing its intended action: to keep the slide held open for feeding.

Granted, do what you feel is right in terms of using a slide catch lever as a release; just know it's objectively inferior to grabbing a big slide and pulling it rearward and despite /k/'s allergy to the word "fine motor skill" or "gross motor skill" it makes sense.
>>
>>28073194
>that cancer
>new
>>28073101
no one gives a shit.
>>
>>28073194
Go back to /b/, /k/ has never been about gets and roll threads. That shit is trash and has its place on this site.
>>
>>28073203
>That shit is trash and has its place on this site.
kind of like you?
back to /arg/ with you
>>
>>28072082

I got a fucked up thumb, so no using the slide release for I.
>>
>>28073155
Im not bullshitting. I've been in 3 legit firefights. Also a situation where i almost shot a man on a motorcycle in afghanistan. I pushed the safety onto fire andcould easily feel the trigger on my saw as i pulled it back to the point of firing and i was able to control it entirely with no issue. I almost shot him because he could have been a suicide bomber but i noticed he didn't even see me until the last second and had no indications of any explosives.
>>
I can barely reach the slide stop on my 1911 without adjusting my grip, and I have pretty average sized hands.
power stroke works with all guns.
>>
>hey guys let's totally stop using one of the FEATURES of a firearm
>they just put slide releases there to look cool, that's all
>its supposed to be a pretend-its-not-there button, you aren't ever actually supposed to use it
>>
>fine motor skills

If one cannot actuate the slide stop under pressure, then how can one expect to align the sights, pull the trigger, or drop the magazine?

In advocating this theory you are literally admitting that under stress you will be unable to operate your weapon. If this is the case then you really should not be carrying.
>>
>>28073268
>they just put slide releases there to look cool, that's all
it's called a slide stop, and it's there to lock the slide open. you're not very smart, are you?
>>
>>28072222
>not practicing with your guns to the point of muscle memory

Plebs
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.