[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anybody on /k/ know where to get a hold of black powder caps,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: remingtoncaps.png (206 KB, 401x396) Image search: [Google]
remingtoncaps.png
206 KB, 401x396
Anybody on /k/ know where to get a hold of black powder caps, either #11 or #10, and either genuine black powder or substitute (it really doesn't matter) in the southern california area? Apparently it's next to impossible to find, I haven't tried contacting any small gun stores yet to see if they might have it, but any major retailer doesn't carry the primers.

Bass Pro Shop has 209 Primers, but that's as close as it gets. I'd much rather just buy enough for 100 rounds at a time than have to order the 1000 from cabelas and pay a $20 shipping fee. It's looking like I might have to go that route though simply out of convenience.
>>
>>28048585
Fuck it I just did it. Fair warning to any other californianons that decide to get a black powder revolver. Any experienced bp shooters know how long these caps will last stored properly?

I got a couple hundred extra rounds and some pyrodex as well so I'll get to have a nice long rage day whenever these come in, but I really have no idea how long it will take me to go through 1000 caps.

Apparently there are some places to get genuine black powder out in LA, but fuck going out there. I'll pay a $20 hazmat fee over $30 in gas and being stuck in traffic any day.
>>
>>28048783
>genuine black powder
why?
>>
I have some caps that are about 35 years old, and are still good. They aren't even CCI- they're CVA.

Try Calguns. California has 20% of all the shooters in the US.
>>
>>28048811
Simply for the badass factor. No other reason. I don't mind using a substitute, but I keep my guns extremely clean so the corrosion or anything isn't even close to being an issue.

Tell me, having a smokescreen after every shot, doesn't that just sound badass as fuck?
>>
>>28048585
Have you tried your local gun/sports/hunting shops? I just call them beforehand to ask if they have anything. It's a lot faster than driving to each one.
>>
>>28048924
>Try Calguns.
That's actually where I saw a few of the places out in the LA area that sold genuine black powder. I may take a trip down there at some point, but I absolutely hate going to LA. So much traffic.
>>
>>28048934
Yeah I've given them calls and stopped by a couple and none of them have it. Like I said though I haven't tried any of the small gun stores or anything, but I really doubt even they have it.
>>
group buys on calguns. I ran 2 group buys there for powder valley orders there a few years ago. I also buy bulk (usually the limit for hazmat, which is 50 lbs total) and sell the excess on calguns and make enough to cover shipping and fees.

I'm not into BP myself though, since I don't want to pay hourly for the only place within an easy hour drive that allows it.
>>
>>28048954
Will most ranges still allow substitute?
>>
>>28048998
My local ones don't. Not just the smoke, but also safety concerns of how it's loaded.
>>
>>28049014
Well if you're not careful during a reload you can have it go off in your face. I'll probably just drive out into the desert though.
>>
>>28048585
im pretty sure dunhams carries them. idk if there are many dunhams in california though.
>>
>>28048811
Something I just found out. Black powder is easier to clean than pyrodex. With pyrodex you need to neutralize it with a solution of vinegar and water, whereas blackpowder can be cleaned with just boiling hot water.
>>
>>28049485
Black powder can be cleaned with a towel and some oil. That's how I clean my revolver and it hasn't ever rusted.
>>
>>28049485

Doesn't need to boil, it just needs to be warm to hot. I use a mix of dish soap and hot water in my M1842 and I've been reenacting with it for 5 years.
>>
>>28049513
>>28049541
Still good to know. I've read the vinegar solution can eat away at the bluing when cleaning pyrodex.

Any advice on cleaning that up without eating up the bluing? I figure if it's diluted enough it shouldn't be too bad, but I'd like to keep this thing in good shape. I got muzzleloader cleaner and some bore butter and if I'd be fun just letting some of that soak and getting every nook and cranny I'm fine with that.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.