[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SKS thread - corrosive ammo edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8
File: 20151130_221146.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20151130_221146.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1152
1955 Russian sks, few scuffs on the woodwork, had it's first rounds through it today. Shot fairly well, front sight was stiff as a bitch to break loose to adjust though. Took a torch, a c-clamp, wd-40 and needle nose pliers to adjust it fully.

Also, I've never shot corrosive before, until now, so in cleaning it with an SKS what all should I focus on cleaning? Gas piston, barrel and bolt are obvious, as well as the receiver itself, but the trigger group and magazine seemed perfectly clean, as I'd expect but you never know.

Also, the cleaning rod, why is it so fucking short? I have to run a patch from both ends to fully clean the barrel, should I just go ahead and pitch for a real cleaning rod?
>>
>>28047502
The cleaning rod IS short, its not meant to clean the entire barrel, just chamber forward. kinda shitty. You can either buy a long, bore rod, that can take into account the long ass receiver, or you can run hot ass water through the barrel, and pull a bore snake through a couple times, then WD-40 down the barrel, or some sort of oil, doesnt really matter. Wash your bore snake every other cleaning, or you might just end up dragging salt deposits back through your barrel and mucking it up.

I dismantle it entirely, put it all in my tub, fill it up with water, put in some dish soap and start scrubbing, once all the salts removed, hit it with the shower head for a rinse, dry it all off one at a time with a hair dryer, once its all dry, bore snake the barrel a few times, WD down the barrel, then a light coating of hoppes oil on the gas piston, bolt, firing pin, rails, and inside the receiver completely. (excluding the trigger group) DOnt bother shooting corrosive unless you're shooting for a couple hours, as im sure you've learned.
>>
>>28047932
I look at the cleaning rod on my Yugo SKS and I'm thinking I have a paratrooper's cleaning rod instead.
>>
>>28047961

Measure your rod and then your barrel, you might just have a 20" barrel, i have a 20" barrel but my SKS came with a 17 inch cleaning rod. Fuckin russians.
>>
>>28047932
Please don't use WD-40. It's not a lube, and it leaves a bit of gunk behind.

I break the gun down to the point where you can pull the wood piece away, and have all the metal bits. Hot water all over everything. It washes away the salts, and you use hot because it'll evaporate before it causes rust.

At the range, before I go home, I also spray some windex into the chamber. Any window cleaner with ammonia will neutralize the salts.

And because of the season now.. Be careful. Cause it may be cold, and dry out there, but cold gun brought into warm house; condensation, and rust.
>>
>>28048841
>WD-40 isnt a lubricant

Uh, yes it is, it also drives out moisture, and it definitely doesnt gunk up your barrel.

Why are you listing everything the opposite of what WD-40 does. are you joking or stupid and pretending you know anything about WD-40 because someone once told you it was bad?

>prevents rust
>lubricates
>drives out moisture
Huh. The main issues of the SSK and corrosive ammo, taken care of right there.

But you spray your water based windex everywhere and be a fuckin retard at the range.
>>
File: PleaseDoNotPutInFirearms.jpg (48 KB, 368x624) Image search: [Google]
PleaseDoNotPutInFirearms.jpg
48 KB, 368x624
>>28048988
I'm going to let other people call you a idiot, and implore you to please do a quick google search on WD40 as a gun oil.
>>
>>28048988
It also attracts rust like a MOTHERFUCKER.

Can also eat primers if you're exceptionally retarded.
>>
>>28048841
>Any window cleaner with ammonia will neutralize the salts.
You're as bad as that WD-40 retard.
Hot water is THE ONLY thing that will remove corrosive salts.
>I don't even shoot corrosive and I know this.

Too fuddlore spreading tards.
>>
>>28049119
*Two
Fuck I'm retarded too.
>>
>>28049119
> hot water is THE ONLY thing that will remove corrosive salts

And you call them retarded fudds.
>>
>>28049169
Do tell, what will then?
>>
>>28049169
Hot water is the best thing to wash away corrosive salts, is what annon should of said. However, saying ammonia neutralizes corrosives salts is beyond full retard
>>
>>28049172
Any water based solvent.

And you know whats amazing?

it can be cold.
>>
>>28049169
I looked it up, because I thought it was bullshit too, but he's right.
>>
File: JUhjVQF.jpg (688 KB, 2937x2203) Image search: [Google]
JUhjVQF.jpg
688 KB, 2937x2203
I wouldn't shoot corrosive through an SKS just because of all the parts you have to immediately clean. A bolt action is much simpler to clean of salts at the range.
>>
>>28049098
Different anon here, I don't see what's wrong with WD-40. It drives out moisture, I implore you do a quick google search on WD40 to find out what it stands for. I would ALSO apply some sort of preservative AFTER using WD-40.

>water to flush out salts
>wd-40 to drive out moisture
>'x' brand preservative to preserve.

Alternatively, you can use like 10% Ballistol solution, and eliminate 2 steps.
>>
File: $_35[1].jpg (9 KB, 300x198) Image search: [Google]
$_35[1].jpg
9 KB, 300x198
>>28049172
Ammonia has alkali properties. And if I remember right, they used to put Alkaline liquid into these little oil cans.

But yes, water is the best thing to clean out the corrosive salts. If you have access to it. Probably where the whole "soviets pissing in their barrel" thing came from.
>>
File: SKS.jpg (108 KB, 858x287) Image search: [Google]
SKS.jpg
108 KB, 858x287
>>28047502
I've shot at least 1k of corrosive out of my Gypsy SKS.

>Just clean it liek you should every time corrosive or not.
It's the easiest weapon to strip down and clean.
>>
File: 1409138632554.gif (996 KB, 245x184) Image search: [Google]
1409138632554.gif
996 KB, 245x184
>>28049268
>Ammonia has alkali properties.
>>
>>28049268
This came with my SKS.

Was packed solid with cosmoline, and capped shut.

Tried cleaning it out but its a lost cause until i boil it in water or throw it over a heat source and melt it all out then flush it and shake some varsol in it or something.

Also, if you are cleaning cosmoline off of your stock, or metal, Varsol is amazing. leaves an extremely light oil on the surface as well (as in unnoticeable to the touch) that gives it a great shine in addition to the varnish.
>>
>>28049285
>Tried cleaning it out but its a lost cause
Try setting it in a small container (deep enough to submerge it) filled with either gasoline/diesel or mineral spirits.

I've use good old shit 89 octane to clean obscene amount of cosmoline off of everything from mags and bayonets to entire firearms.

Dunno what Varsol is, but if it's cheaper than gas/diesel by volume, I'd be surprised.
>Looked it up, it's literally just branded mineral spirits.
>>
>>28049319
>Mineral spirits

This. That shit is wonders.
>>
>>28049348
I generally only use it to clean the cosmo off of the furniture as it's a lot more expensive per gallon.
I've cleaned hundreds of cosmo'd mags and gas was the best for my money.
But it's terrible for wood, so I go with the spirits for that.
>and a dual temp heat gun on low, for getting it ALL out
Much more difficult and time consuming than the oven/black bag methods, but I get a much more precise de-cosmolining.
>>
>>28048019
Ever attach the cleaning kit to the end of your short rod? Do anon a favor and sell your rifle. Your far too retarded to own it. Shit. Everything makes sense if you understand how a platform worms entirely
>>
>>28049419
Dumb faggot you dont know shit.

kek
>>
File: 20151201_030923.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20151201_030923.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1152
>>28049419
So then where do I get an extra inch of rod.

And how do I get the rod, into the breach with the tube attached?
>>
>>28049436
Attach the cleaning kit provided with the rifle. The kit adds the extra 3 inches to clean the barrel. Now take the clean barrel and place it in your mouth. Pull trigger. Before you do that, kill your family.
>>
>>28049469
It works one way. You have it backwards
>>
>>28049481
So clean it muzzle to breach? Id rather not.
>>
>>28049484
Take it up with the slavs of 1945. The mosin-nagants are cleaned the same way.
>>
Ever try doing a complete strip job in the field to clean a rifle?
>>
File: 20151201_032244.jpg (526 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20151201_032244.jpg
526 KB, 2048x1152
>>28049488
Still an inch short, patch doesn't clear the breach.
>>
>>28049517
It 's for field cleaning. Take it up with the slavs of '45. It's a cleaning rod to clean the barrel. Not the breach. At this point in time, your rifles cleaning rod and kit are for Aesthetics. Starting to understand the autism accusations around here.
>>
>>28049535
You should get a trip so people can filter you.
>>
>>28049537
Good thing I'm anonymous. Lucky you.
>>
>>28049537
Ow,
>>
>>28049537
Filter me. I dare you.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.