[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is the Afghan National Army doing? It seems like everyday
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: afghan-army.jpg (996 KB, 1920x1600) Image search: [Google]
afghan-army.jpg
996 KB, 1920x1600
How is the Afghan National Army doing?

It seems like everyday I'm seeing headlines like:

>12 Taliban Militants Killed in _________
>3 Killed in Suicide Blast on Military Outpost
>Important Taliban Commander Killed in Military Raid

I know a little while back, the Taliban took control of some city but they didn't hold onto it very long. Something like 2 or 3 days I believe until it was retaken by the Army.
>>
>still a puppet state
>still being run by pedophiles
>half the forces are high on drugs constantly.
>still being supported with weapons and supplies from taliban in pakistan, as the pakistan government claims ignorance and asks for another US handout so it can continue killing more gays, atheists and women who didn't wear a hijab

So yeah, doing great.

mission accomplished
>>
>>28034771
>half the forces are high on drugs constantly.
t. watched This is What Winning Looks Like

>still being supported with weapons and supplies from taliban in pakistan, as the pakistan government claims ignorance and asks for another US handout so it can continue killing more gays, atheists and women who didn't wear a hijab
I don't see why the US is allies with Pakistan if they're factually proven to be sheltering, funding and training the Afghan Taliban.
>>
>>28034911
India was pretty shitty during the Cold War and wouldn't pick a side. Plus the taliban was our friends in the 1980's and paki ports were a good way to get guns to them. Also good to support a regional power that would back us up against Iran.

Mainly just bullshit internventionist policy for a bunch of people who are not worthy dying for at all. Read: Turkey.
>>
>>28034722

As far as I've heard, they're decent as far as infantry goes, but they have serious trouble with aircraft, or a lack thereof. They lack CAS, Medecav and air mobility in the necessary quantity and quality to do what NATO could.

They apparently don't have the problems the Iraqi army has, of refusing to actually fight.
>>
>>28034972
The Taliban were not allied with the US in the 80's though, they didn't even exist until the 90's.
>>
>>28034989
Their infantry is bad, there are many occasions (see Battle of Wanat) where they outright abandoned their post. However, the worst part about the situation in Afghanistan right now is the lack of trust that the civilians have in their government. They don't see the ANA as any better than the Taliban and therefore they lack the incentive to cooperate with the government. Unfortunately, this is a serious cultural problem and one that will not likely be resolved any time soon.
>>
Remember meeting an Afghan commando from New Mexico. His family fled to the states during Russia's occupation. He said it was his duty now that he was old enough to go join the war effort. It was funny, he spoke English exactly like you would expect. He was just shy of saying things like "for sure for sure" and "later later" But in all he was a good kid of good character. I really hope he's still alive. Was a heavily Taliban controlled area, and we pulled out completely shortly after I left.

>godspeed you glorious heavily Mexican influenced Afghanistan commando... Godspeed.
>>
>>28035099
People don't trust the government, not the army. For example, a military outpost was attacked by Taliban and the men were slaughtered after they ran out of bullets. They begged for reinforcements to come and give them ammunition and after like a day or so, they ran out of bullets and were killed. It's called the "Jalrez Massacre" I believe.
>>
>>28035066
I dont know much about this time period, but didnt the U.S supply "freedom fighters" in afghanistan to help remove vodka from when the soviet russia invaded Afghanistan, then somewhere along the lines those freedom fighters turned into the mujahideen and then the taliban.
>>
>>28035469
Mujahideen was who the US was supporting during the 80s then came all the infighting after the war and it turned into a bunch of groups,warlords,and militias fighting for one reason or another.
>>
>>28035469
Yes but the Taliban were basically founded from distraught Mujahideen fighters during the Civil War of the 90's by the Pakistani government. The Taliban are basically puppets of Pakistan.

Then, former Mujahideen also formed the Northern Alliance which fought the Taliban, then with the help of the US invasion, collapsed the Taliban government.
>>
>>28034911
dont forget that saudi is a close ally of pakistan and basically created the taliban by funding salafist bullshit in nw Pakistan during soviet afgan war under the guise of "refugee aid"

Also dont forget that pakistan doesnt actually have control of its various military and intelligence elements so the gov can legit be trying to stem the tide of taliban support while the other 80% is in on it and getting paid off somehow or other

also dont forget that the gov cant even control the north of the country where the taliban resides and gov troops get blown the fuck out even trying to patrol there

also nukes. dont forget the nukes in van touring the country lol

what a shithole
>>
>>28035469
Yeah, but Stinger batteries long ran out before the Taliban could have ever used them.
CIA arming Al Qaeda or the Taliban is the biggest bullshit myth that has ever existed.
>>
>>28034911
>>28035469
I wrote a really long thing about this a while ago.
>>
>>28036246
I just read The Way of the Knife by Mark Mazzetti and it was a good read about Pakistan and how fucked it is.
For further reading on good ol Osammy B, I'd recommend
The Looming Tower - Lawrence Wright
Ghost Wars - Steve Coll
>>
>>28036221
Slightly off topic but one thing I never got was how few MANPADs insurgents have gotten their hands on in the past few conflicts compared to rockets and RPG-7 rounds. I know MANPADs have a shelf life of only a few decades and therefore massed produced missiles like the SA-7 have ceased to be a serious issue, but it still surprises me.
>>
>>28035066
I meant Mujahideen or proto-Taliban.
>>
>>28036610
course you did.

pakistan distributed us money to groups that were fighting the soviet union, years before the taliban was even formed. so what's your fucking point.
>>
>>28036610
Not all Mujahideen were Taliban though

For example, all of the Northern Alliance factions and Hezb-e-Islami

The Taliban were created by Pakistan in order to have a pro-Paki government in Afghanistan
>>
File: 1417043274697.png (265 KB, 334x393) Image search: [Google]
1417043274697.png
265 KB, 334x393
>>28036610
>Mujahideen or proto-Taliban
>even relating the two on that level
>>
>>28034722
I saw a dude with east german helmet back there.

Also, the dude fighting up front isn't that bad per se. (not as highly trained nor as professional as western army but they do get the job done. Besides you make do with what you had; illiterate men, chink-made uniform and old/refuse gun). They're certainly better than the cops, which is blatantly corrupted to the core.

Main problem is the nonexistent logistical support. This is one of the most basic ones that a proper military should provide. When they were posted in some half-standing ruin in the middle of nowhere, they only had like 3 days of food (mostly consumer-grade product like tea, canned food and flour. Lots of flour) and ammunition, so imagine if they're caught in a firefight with numerically-superior talibs armed with heavier weaponry (mostly 81mm mortar and recoilless rifles. They have shitload of shashed away) than the soldiers.
>>
>dat airshit vest
He's ashamed to be wearing it. Look at the pain in his eyes.
>>
>>28039159
The Fall of Kunduz and 22 Taliban controlled districts disagrees with you dumbfuck.
>>
Did anyone watch the Vice documentary on Afghanistan called "What winning looks like"?
Mind you it's vice, but they're usually SJW as fuck and their documentary still portrayed the afghan soldiers as full blown retards.
>>
>>28039540
One event. one fucking event (and they even recaptured the place) and "hurr those goatfuckers cant do shit :DD".

Those are well coordinated attack,with plenty of sleeper agents and even then they cannot hold the damn place when ANA gets serious.
>>
>>28034722
they are winning
>>
>>28036246
Interdasting summary. Thanks!
>>
>>28036656
Pakistan's a piece of shit ally in the region that never should have been allowed nukes. Is there a better point to be made?
>>
File: DarknessVisible079.jpg (127 KB, 1200x795) Image search: [Google]
DarknessVisible079.jpg
127 KB, 1200x795
>>28036610
There were various different groups. What sucks is that we didn't give Massoud a lot of help when he was probably one of the better if not the best options for Afghanistan at the time.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.