[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/meg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: 1468535365935.png (102 KB, 316x199) Image search: [Google]
1468535365935.png
102 KB, 316x199
/meg/- Military Enlistment General

RiP France edition
>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

OP template
http://pastebin.com/sb5Gv1dW (embed)

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga (embed)

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/6764857 (embed)

Ask questions, get advice from retards on how to lie on the poly, bitch about recruiters, accuse each other of stolen valor, just keep it in this general.
>>
>>30623204
>>30623214
Ok, i dont know about practice asvabs but i would say prepare better overall when taking the real one to help your chances.
get a good nights sleep the night before, eat a good meal a couple hours beforehand, have some form of caffeine. These should all help you focus more.
Again though what type of rates are you lookin at cause above you said ET field which i dont remember you mentioning before. Plus now youre saying crytologist.
>>
File: 1458668901235.gif (756 KB, 634x1261) Image search: [Google]
1458668901235.gif
756 KB, 634x1261
F
>>
>>30623348
>Ok, i dont know about practice asvabs but i would say prepare better overall when taking the real one to help your chances.

I plan to take days off in advance for it.

>Again though what type of rates are you lookin at cause above you said ET field which i dont remember you mentioning before. Plus now youre saying crytologist.

I mentioned ET in my older posts from yesterday, I have a degree in electronics.

I was the guy you replied with;
>jesus wake up
>>CNT
>Its CTN

and you also replied with,
>You should be fine man, Japan is always hurting for people. Again you need to choose a good job/rate otherwise you may hate life doing some bullshit. What kinda job you want senpai? Didnt you say you had a degree in engineering? Would you want to stay working with engines? Or intel like that CTN stuff or if you want hands on action like you were saying you basically gotta go Spec Ops. Not mant NAvy jobs besides those are down and dirty getting shot at. Being Air Crew on a Helo might be a good gig that has some of all that.

I'll see if I can find the type of jobs that are available in the locations I want to be in.
>>
>score 99 on the ASVAB
>pass through MEPS with no problem
>swear in to the Marines
>have no idea what the fuck to pick as an MOS
Fuck.
>>
>>30623451
>>
>>30623451
Just go Open Contract. Let the Marines decide for you, they'll know just where to place you based on your interests and ASVAB scores
>>
>>30623409
>I have a degree in electronics.
I thought you said engineering not electronics. Cause ET is not an engineering rate.

>I'll see if I can find the type of jobs that are available in the locations I want to be in.
Well the 2 bases in Japan are normal bases so they have pretty much every rate any base would have. The ships in Japan are the same way so if you are looking to be on a ship then its all the same no matter where the ship is stationed. And again CTNs dont go on ships so if you want intel but still want to be on a ship go CTR or CTT.

>>30623451
>>30623464
Letting the military decide anything for you sounds like a very bad idea.
>>
>>30623458
I forgot to mention that I am a huge pussy and not very physically active.

>>30623464
That seems like a bad idea. I was considering combat engineer because it sounded cool but I don't actually know anything about it.
>>
>>30623475
>if you are looking to be on a ship then its all the same no matter where the ship is stationed. And again CTNs dont go on ships so if you want intel but still want to be on a ship go CTR or CTT.
Okay, I'll look into those. Thank you very much.
>>
>>30623488
intel, maybe. Really you could do any job in the marine corp if you wanted. I'd look up a list of all the jobs and pick one from there.
>>
Any frogs here?

Frog recruiters? Frog law enforcement? Help your people.
>>
>>30623530
What do you need to know frenchbro?
>>
>>30623521
Yeah, some of the people I talked to at MEPS said that I should look into intelligence as an MOS, but to be honest I'm not really sure what that sort of thing entails.

I'm gonna look into it, though. I'm just don't wanna go into the Marines and come out the other end as a spook. That seems like a shitty way to spend four years.
>>
>have a degree in air traffic control
>want to join AF in TACP
>meet the height and weight standards
>have an uncharacterized discharge from Army
Everything I'v seen online says I need an honrable. Should I just give up?
>>
>>30623542
Bro how did you sign up without ever having thought about what you wanna do? That seems crazy.
>>30623558
>>have an uncharacterized discharge from Army
Wtf is that? Re2 or 3?
>>
>>30623570
My grandfather was a Marine and I dropped out of college, the military was my only option. This was something that I always wanted to do- I wanted to be a Marine, I just don't know what kind of Marine I want to be.
>>
>>30623594
do you want a marketable skill or do you wanna go infantry? Are you going to college after your enlistment?
>>
File: 1434665129969.jpg (72 KB, 960x718) Image search: [Google]
1434665129969.jpg
72 KB, 960x718
>>30623594
sounds like you want to go open contract
do it
do et
>>
>>30623594
I see, well just look into jobs and make a good decision.
>>
>>30623640
I was planning on going to school after, yeah.
>>
Thinking of going to do 13F, anybody have any tips or experiences?
>>
>>30623663
then do what seems most fun to you.
>>
>>30623451
When in doubt, 0351.
>>
>>30623338
So the army doesn't do pull ups
I figured I just do push ups and sit ups till I'm tired and push through that to be some more
And for running is just walk a telephone length and jog/ run 2,3,4 ect as I get better.
Anything wrong with this or anything I should focuse on?
>>
>>30623451
I got a 52 on the asvab how fucking dumb am I?
>>
Been working out to get in good enough shape to enlist in the army. Checked my BMI today and was at 19%, within the acceptable range. Messaged my recruiter asking to come in and schedule MEPS ASAP. What can I expect at MEPS? How long should I expect to wait between now and going to MEPS, and how long will I be waiting between MEPS and shipping off to basic.
>>
>>30623984
I'm pretty sure ASVAB scores don't actually correlate to intelligence, bro. I just took AP classes in high school so I knew the material already.
>>
File: 1463005548895.png (388 KB, 1038x1864) Image search: [Google]
1463005548895.png
388 KB, 1038x1864
>>30623984
Dumb
>>30624010
wrong, that shit is amazingly basic. The toughest math is like algebra 2
>>30623997
Its all ranom, case by case basis. I knew people who were in dep for 10 months and i knew some who left 2 weeks later.
>>30623956
Pic related if you want to really prepare
>>
>>30624028
Fuck I hope I don't have to wait 10 months, I quit my job, won't be able to last 10 months.
And I've been looking for that chart, thanks for posting it.
>>
File: 1463006393443.png (340 KB, 1002x1572) Image search: [Google]
1463006393443.png
340 KB, 1002x1572
>>30624044
Yup, again those are extreme cases but its all about if slots are open or not. Anyone who says different is just lying. Just talk to your recruiter and see whats what.
>>
>>30623570
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_discharge
Re3
>>
>>30624066
Gotcha, why you get it in the first place? You will almost certainly need a waiver. Also i thought the Air Force didnt accept people from other branhces? Maybe im wrong though.
>>
>>30623672
Anybody?
>>
>>30624065
Another question, I'm going to try to get an 11B contract, and want to go airborne. Can I get jump school assured in my contract, or do I just have to put my name forward and hope I get selected?
>>
>>30624119
Im not army but im almost positive yes. Pretty sure its called option 4.
>>
>tfe finally got a date set up to go to MEPS later this week
>my fucking coworker doesnt want to cover my shift
also can the people doing my background check see that I visit a forum that worships an ancient Egyptian frog god?
>>
>>30624087
AF is only accepting honorable at the moment, I spent 5-6 weeks in Army reception due to clerical error and never shipped to basic.
>>
>>30624119
Yes, you can. Don't settle tho, get a RASP contract if you want to see action any time in the next 5 years.
>>
>>30624207
What's RASP?
>>
File: 1463504936280.jpg (110 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
1463504936280.jpg
110 KB, 600x480
QUESTION:

I want to do LE later in life. What's the best route to go? Some people are telling me to enlist as an Army MP; but I was also told that the Navy Master at Arms is also fine as well. What do?
>>
>>30624227
Rangers.
>>
>>30624281
I heard it's a bad idea to try and go from MP to LEO, actually- because Military Police are used to doing shit one specific way and they have to be re-taught completely.

My source is a second hand account from a buddy who used to be a cop, though, so take that as you will.
>>
>>30624187
No. I got a ts Sci and have been on this fucking website for like 7 years .
>>
>>30623984
It means you can't barely do basic math and have poor reading compression.

As in you don't understand the concept of variables and have difficulty understanding what written text means. You should probably go to community college for a semester and work on that for your own sake.
>>
do people with ADHD get in? do they just not disclose it?
>>
>>30624748
Complete guide to meps: no, nope, never
>>
Assume I just heard about the military: Lying on the top secret interview is a no-go isn't it?
>>
3.6 GPA
Econ Major
Russian Language Minor
Quite fit, just need to bring my cardio up

Any ideas as to my chances of getting into officer candidate school?

If I didn't get in should I still enlist?

Thanks to everyone answering questions in here btw.
>>
>>30624829
what branch?
>>
>>30624844
>Anonymous 07/14/16(Thu)21:02:47 No.30624844â–¶
Any but marines
>>
>>30624858
I recently got in to Navy OCS so I can help the most there
stem degrees are a bonus but it's not that big a deal. some fields might want a year of calculus and physics though, like intel and nuke. You gotta take the ASTB as well, kind of like the SAT with physics.

You got a good gpa and degree though.

Army you don't have much of a choice as far as your job goes and depends on how well you do at OCS. But how you do on the pft does come into calculation for the app for army but not for Navy

AF i think you choose between rated and nonrated which one is pilots and the other is the rest of the jobs. I'm not too savvy on that field

What do you want to do though?
>>
How do you guys keep running, I recently started running to get into better shape for ROTC(They have early morning PT) and want to get up to military physical standards. I am trying to get 2 miles in under 15 minutes, but usually just stop because of my mind, it just tells me to stop and I can't fight it, how do I solve this?
>>
>>30625100
just think of other things going on in your life, the more you focus on the run itself your likely to start doubting yourself
>>
>>30624820
For the most part yes.
>>
>>30625100
Music.
>>
>>30623338
shipping for USMC recruit training later this month
>>
Anyone here doing rimpac
>>
>>30624820
>>30625397
Can they really tell?
>>
>join the Navy, ship out in November
>Russia isn't happy about NATO moving troops against it's borders
>War seems imminent, and Russia's Navy is on point

Well, it was nice knowing everybody.
>>
>>30625944
>Russia's Navy is on point

You make me laugh

t. Sailor
>>
>>30625944
>Russia's Navy is on point
>on point
I hope the millennials who spout slang like this get blown up first.
>>
>>30625966
>>30625997
Because they couldn't possibly have something secret up their sleeves. It's still incredibly concerning. I joined for the benefits, not to fight a war.
>>
>>30625944
>tfw joining the navy
Man if war breaks out I don't want to be stuck on a ship, I'd rather be on the ground killing with the Marines
>>
>>30624306
I am NOT in good enough shape to do Rangers. I actually want to go SF eventually, but I need another year or two to get in shape.
>>
File: image.jpg (282 KB, 1223x918) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
282 KB, 1223x918
>>30625944
>>30625966
>>30625997
>>30626054
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_formations_of_the_United_States_Army
Is this list accurate? Is there really only 3 active Airborne divisions? 101st, 82nd, and 173rd?
>>
>>30626066
Go HM and pray you can get a bilet as a Marine Medic.
>>
>>30626192
Only one of those is an Airborne division.

And yes.
>>
>>30626340
What? Which is Airborne? What're the other two?
>>
>>30626360
82nd.

173rd is a brigade

101st kept their old airborne tab and name despite the fact that they are no longer airborne.
>>
>>30626388
What's the difference between a division and a brigade?
>>
>>30626402
Multiple Brigades make up a division, it therefore smaller and takes on more of a gap filling role because it is a detachment and not a proper division
>>
File: 3rd_US_Infantry_Division_2015.png (354 KB, 1280x931) Image search: [Google]
3rd_US_Infantry_Division_2015.png
354 KB, 1280x931
>>30626402
A brigade is generally somewhere 1,500-4,000 soldiers, whereas a division is generally 15,000+ and is made up of 4-6-ish brigades + other odds and ends. Attached is an example org chart for a division.

>>30626427
>it therefore smaller and takes on more of a gap filling role because it is a detachment and not a proper division

Not true for the US Army. Brigades are the focus, not divisions or larger units. A brigade has all of the organic support that it needs built in so that it can deploy on its own without a division above it. For the majority of OIF/OEF, the deploying units were brigade-sized.
>>
>>30626505
Well, in a general sense yeah, I understand the organization behind RCTs and self sufficient brigades, my explanation was a little out of date in terms of deployment doctrine but I was trying to keep it simple for the other anon
>>
>>30626066
In the event of a war if you're lucky enough to be on a submarine you get to hear sonar calling put torpedo bearings and doppler shift evert few seconds up until you implode. That way you get to shit your pants first.

But really the best russian submarines are only just equivalent to the oldest ones we have in service and their ASW capabilities are dramatically worse.

But in the event you're actually doing torpedo evasion "up doppler" is bad, if you hear someone saying that it means you're going to die.
>>
Bump for info on:
>13F
>Intel jobs
>ASVAB tips?

21, haven't been to school in 3 years
>>
So I was diagnosed with depression about a year ago

I'm fine now, and have been off my medication for 6 months per doctors orders.

What are the odds I'll be DQ'd if I try to enlist?
Do you think those odds will change with the enivitable troop surge for the third Iraq war?
>>
>>30624669
Guy you replied to I scored alright on the English part, math is my bane.
Which make sense as I did poorly in school.
Instead of community collage which I can't pay for, can I just hit up YouTube for mathematics.
>>
>>30626054
Faggot, and a pussy.
>>
Hey /meg/. So I'm going to starting my fourth year of university this fall, working on my degree in computer engineering. However, I still don't have any real plans or ideas of where I want to work or what I even want to do once I'm out. I've been wondering, are there any guys here who have joined either navy or airforce after university to get a sort of near guaranteed internship? Is it worth it? I've still got a while to decide, but I want to know all my options. Anybody willing to share their stories? Hopefully some computer or electrical engineers here chime in particular.
>>
>>30629663
>fourth year of university
Go try some europeon or ausfailian board. Most of us are American. We don't know about your tu-tu wearing militaries.
>>
>>30629695
I am american. Just up early.
>>
>>30629214
Don't do youtube, its directionless. look up khanacademy. It'll get you lower division level math that's easy to digest.
>>
Just got a schedule to talk to my recruiter on Monday. I want an 11B contract and to go to jump school (I believe that's called option 4?) I'm set on 11B, but am willing to give up airborne if it's not an option. My question is, how hard should I push for it? Like, if the recruiter says they can't give me option 4, do I accept that at the first take, or do I keep trying? If I push to much, will she just tell me to leave? How hard will it be to get an 11B option 4 contract?
>>
>>30630227
Should be quite easy to get, as there's a lot of downsides to airborne.
>>
>>30630271
Like what?
>>
>>30630277
Lack of duty station and unit options

Bragg4eva
>>
>>30630287
Yeah, definitely hoping I get stationed at Bragg, but Italy would be a cool experience.
>>
>>30629663
bumping for question. I looked at the navy website, and it seems they technical training for electronics "technicians" but this looks like under college level work. Is there anything that is post college level? Like actual engineering, not just some onsite repair technician.
>>
>>30630271
>>30630287
You know, one thing doesn't really qualify as "a lot."
>>
>>30629214
>Instead of community collage which I can't pay for, can I just hit up YouTube for mathematics.

go to Khanacademy
>>
>>30624281
LE here - A lot of LE Agencies offer 5 or so "Bonus points" on the civil service test for having prior military service. Doesn't matter what your MOS was, nobody cares aside from getting cool war stories. Switching from MP to LE is not a big deal.

Alternatively, if you just want to wait until you are 21 and go LE that's fine too. A college degree (even a 2yr degree) will help you a lot. Doesn't have to be in Criminal Justice, nobody cares what your degree says. Just that you were dedicated enough to get one and not spend all your time drunk or high and missing class.
>>
>>30630446
Is it hard to find a job in law enforcement? I was planning on becoming one incase someone happens during Army Officer career
>>
is it possible to join the navy and work in/on a submarine as greencard holder(swiss) or is citizenship/higher security clearance required for anything sub related?
>>
>>30632329
>citizenship/higher security clearance required for anything sub related?
yes
>>
>>30629214
https://www.purplemath.com/modules/ordering.htm
>>
>>30632329
Why would you ever want to work in a sub?
>>
>>30632329
Only a secret clearance is required. You may be able to enlist as a resident alien or whatever you are, but you should talk to your recruiter about it for details. It should be the case that you'll go through a citizenship process in bootcamp.

Once you get to MEPS and go to choose your rate a dude will ask if you want to volunteer for submarine service and hand you a form. Once you've filled that out you'll be eligible for submarine rates.

Also don't fucking do it unless you want to spend long periods of time contemplating suicide while holding a loaded shotgun.
>>
>>30632608
ah bummer but i assumed that was the case. guess i'll look into national guard. saw a cops episode that featured the guard and it looked quite interesting/fun.
>>
>>30632732
>Why would you ever want to work in a sub?
Trust me. When your LZ is being overrun by the enemy and fire, grenades, bullets and shrapnel are flying around like the air you're breathing, you'd wish you signed up for submarine duty.
>>
>>30632774
>rate of suicide in the submarine force is 3 times higher than the army
>>
>>30625807
They do a lot of digging. You give them a handful of contacts and they go to several handfuls of people. They also dig up basically all available records that they can have access to. Part of the reason clearances can take so long. Mine only took 6 months fortunatrly.
>>
>>30632812
i don't get that. i kinda understand why combat vets commit suicide. some graphic things just remain in your head/mind forever but non combat soldiers.......?
>>
>>30630340
There are other things as well, such as destroying your body, quality of life in airborne units, and lack of certain types of career opportunities. I just didn't mention those because they're things that many people won't really understand until they're already in.
>>
File: Funny hand signals.jpg (415 KB, 1260x1936) Image search: [Google]
Funny hand signals.jpg
415 KB, 1260x1936
Hey /meg/ I see my army recruiter tomorrow and I was wondering what are some general questions I should ask him?
>>
>>30633008
Has to do with the working conditions, isolation, and so on. It's how farmers and fishermen have the highest suicide rate in the civilian world. Living and working in a sealed metal tube, breathing recycled air, sharing your bunk, etc, seems like a good enough recipe for higher suicide rate.
>>
>>30633329
what hand moisturizer he uses
>>
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>30633008
Living conditions literally worse than prison, in-port, non-deployment working hours that makes 12 hour shift work look great, institutionalised dehumanization of junior personnel, constant air of negativity, culture of blame and scapegoating, limited opportunity for career growth, total disregard for individual well-being, culture of intentionally trying to downplay and cover up mental health problems resulting from stress because treatment can sometimes be disqualifying from submarine service and (keeping people at work is more important than them not killing themselves).

It's all the worst parts of the navy taken to an extreme.
>>
>>30625397
What about omitting a visit to a psychiatrist?
>>
How does correctable vision affect enlistment? I'm currently a -2.25, usually wear contacts. Wanting to join Navy, don't know how it affects swimming
>>
>>30633540
It's not an issue if it's correctable.
>>
>>30633540
If it corrects to 20/20 with glasses, it's no problem for 99% of jobs
>>
>>30633341
do something stupid like shitting on your commanders desk,pretending to be depressed or slapping another sailor. a discharge, even a dishonorable one is 10 times better than suicide.
>>
>>30633540
Let me put it this way, you could still become a fighter pilot with that prescription. So, I think you'll be fine.
>>
>>30633554
>>30633582
>>30633613
Thanks friends
>>
>>30623338
If I get a degree in a medical field (radiology), can I commission directly into that position?
Or am I subject to the "Needs of the X" like everyone else?
>>
So Green Berets and SEALs get talked about a fair bit, and not without good reason. What are some other, perhaps lesser known US special operations groups and forces?
>>
>>30629190
don't tell anyone and you won't be DQd
>>
>>30634150
Force recon and MARSOC, JTACs and PJs, Rangers and Delta.
>>
Would learning a working knowledge of another language be beneficial for enlistment and SF?
>>
>>30634150
Delta is the best the US military has.
>>
>>30633714
You will be used in that specialty.
>>
File: 1466340637108.gif (45 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1466340637108.gif
45 KB, 499x499
>shit going down in turkey
>Russian guy saying that Russia is about to get involved

I chose the best time to get enlisted. Feels good man.
>>
>>30633582
>If it corrects
>it's no problem

>tfw this will never be the case for hearing problems
>>
How much of your time is actually taken by the military? I get that during BMT they own your ass at all hours of the day, and I assume that if you ever get deployed to a combat zone you can expect to be working as much or as often as they need you to work. But for everyone else, is the military basically a 9-5 with PT tacked on to one end?
>>
What are the current stupidly and down syndrome low chances of giving a big fuck you to article five and hoping to liberate the current islamic dictatorship of Turkey? Any suspicions of it being a false flag operation considering that Turkey's military is highly experience with coups?
>>
>>30637638
Fun/good question. There are weeks where you will get a full weekend. Its a bit more than 9-5 for a lot of jobs though, more like 5-5. It isn't pure work work work though. One thing that always bugged me was when you take a vacation they charge you for every day. Most jobs would count sun-sun as 5 days with weekends on each end, the army counts that as 9 days off. Also, sometimes dumb shit comes up. Ive a few times where a rifle will go missing and everyone has to stay put, until everything is found. Also, going on field exercises for 45 days or more is shitty.
>>
>>30637638
Literally everything about the military all depends on where you are. Like what type of command, What the mission is, whos in charge and things like that.
For example, on a ship for me it was 7-3ish like you said. Sometimes earlier sometimes later depending on what needed doing. Usually got out around 1 on a friday. We had duty every 6 days so we had to stay on the ship and stand watch for 24hrs.
When you go to shore duty though its usually much easier as a type of break from rough sea duty. But thats just a navy POV.
And agin like you said deployements are different. PLus if you have drills/excersises going on thats different as well. When were going through INSURV which is this huge ship inspection the hours were way longer. We used to go in on sundays at around 1500 and wed go underway around 0500 and come back late friday. It was like this for months.
>>
File: 1467211032249.png (369 KB, 480x479) Image search: [Google]
1467211032249.png
369 KB, 480x479
>>30630303
I'm almost finished my ECE degree and I enlisted into the Navy about 5 months ago. Just finished the Navy's "ATT" school; which deals with some electrical and computer engineering. It's really basic stuff. No building circuits, and no analysis of anything beyond using Ohm's law. It does go over things like transistors and digital logic; so maybe a step above the most basic of circuit classes.

Next I go to "TCNO" school and the ETV "A School", but everyone tells me that the EE/CE stuff is pretty much over with.

I plan to finish college online, and then get out to use the years in the Navy and the clearance to work in the defense industry. I may put in an officer package once I finish college though.

So far, everything has been really easy.
>>
>>30637874
Whats your rate?
>>
>>30637927
>ETV - Electronics Technician Navigation

It's a submarine-specific rate. Supposedly, the ETVs do the most electronics work on the sub, in addition to using some Google Earth like program to come up with navigation for the sub.

http://www.cool.navy.mil/usn/enlisted/etv.htm
>>
>>30638060
Did you choose that or did you just get stuck with it? Subs are pretty gay senpai tahts why im asking.
>>
For the Marines in the 03 field.
>What is your specific MOS and what is it like?
I'm interested in joining and I'm just looking for some information.
>>
File: 1436147610147.png (309 KB, 692x720) Image search: [Google]
1436147610147.png
309 KB, 692x720
>>30638191
I chose SECF; which has FT, STS, ETR, and ETV under it. Then I listed ETR first followed by ETV on my "dream sheet", and wrote that I had to be an ETR or ETV in the comments section since I couldn't really decide between the two. Last on my list was FT. I didn't want FT, but it was better than STS.

I lucked out, but I know of a guy who listed things in the same order and still got STS.
>>
>>30638317
Again why subs though?
>>
>>30638302
Also interested in combat engineering, LAVs, Tanks, EOD, and Aircrew. So, if anyone has information on any of those, it would be awesome if I got a reply.
>>
File: 1405236107163.jpg (445 KB, 655x1024) Image search: [Google]
1405236107163.jpg
445 KB, 655x1024
I'm balls deep in the enlistment process with the National Guard, got a great recruiter.

What does an E-3 11B RATELO do?
>>
>>30638406
you operate the radio and telephone, apparently.
>>
What kind of pay do you get in CT?
I was recommended Nuclear engineering, is the pay much higher for it?
>>
>>30638347
When I compared AECF to SECF, these things stood out to me:
>more pay
>shorter contract
>better food

Plus subs supposedly have good advancement.
>>
>>30638528
>better food
Shit is shit. Quality of life is very low though man.
See>>30633358
>>
>>30638442
wow nevermind the pay, I found something way more interesting on these forums.

http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2049

How can you maximize your chances to get assigned to something like this.
That covers everything I'm looking for. Technical job/carreer/danger
>>
>>30637874
Hmm that's really low level desu, but I guess you would probably need to have a higher level degree, or to be working with a private corp that contracts with the military. I think I'll pass on that then, as that's not what I want to do.
>>
>>30638614
Those are most likely CTIs.
http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/enlisted/community/crypto_it/Pages/CTI.aspx

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/enlisted/community/crypto_it/Documents/CTI%20career%20Path.pdf
>>
>>30638317
Fun fact: you will do infinitely more work both at sea and in port than sonar techs do and will stand worse watches with more responsibilities than they do for the same pay.

Sonar techs are shit, but it's submarines on easy mode, they have the largest division in the forward compartent because of their watch manning requirements and therefore have loads of manpower, but have virtually zero maintenance responsibilities so they don't do shit in port and at sea they don't do any work after watch, plus literally all of their watches happen in a darkened room where they all sit on comfy chairs wearing headphones listening to the ocean.

Your entire division will be at the boat doing shit like trying to fix EM Log or an RLGN at 21:00 while the sonar techs all went home 6 hours ago. At sea you'll be on top of the sail in the pouring rain de-rigging the bridge while sonar techs the same rank as you are literally sleeping on watch undisturbed in sonar.
>>
>>30638685
On the plus side if you go to a 688/I or seawolf your first watch will probably be helm/stern planes operator so you get to personally drive a multi-billiondollar nuclear warship.

Then you'll learn that doing that all the time sucks because even if you actually like ships control (I did) there's a stream of horseshit other stuff associated with it for no reason.

So then you'll qualify Lan tech of the watch, which has less gay stuff associated with it, but instead involves the chief of the watch constantly pestering you, often at the behest of the OOD.

Meanwhile everyone in sonar is taking a nap except for the sonar sup who is drinking coffee and studying for the chief exam.
>>
>>30638651
Yeah, I'm pretty early in the pipeline, but I don't think it gets any more advanced from here.

The Nuke rates require calculus, so those may be a bit more advanced. None of the nukes I've encountered appear to have advanced electronics experience though.

Enlisted rates only require a high school education, so I doubt you'll find anything at a collegiate level there.

>>30638685
They have it easier for sure. I just think that ETV will be more useful to me from a civilian career perspective. Saying "I listened to whales and krill." doesn't seem like it'll get me as far once I get out.
>>
>>30638907
Don't worry I just hate sonar techs and you will too.
>>
>>30638658
Darn. That's not really something I'm interested in. I'm fully bilingual Eng/Spa, but so are many other people so its nothing special.

I'm going to meet with my recruiter in a few days, and I have other dates scheduled for tests and job guidance, I'll have to ask them the real difference between CTT and CTR, since that at the moment is what I'm having a bit of trouble even differentiating.

From what I've read, it seems that CTR's work with a team of some sort, and the CTR used equipment is maintained by CTM's.
CTT's have to work on their own equipment, and are more independent and less team based.

CTR's collect information, and so do CTT's, but the CTT handles a more "combat" oriented role, as in signal jamming warfare between ships/projectiles.

IS reads stuff CTR's and CTT's make and writes powerpoints on them.

That's my impression right now of these rates.
>>
So when you're living on base, food, housing, and utilities are all provided for you, right? So you can essentially spend 100% of your pay on whatever you want?
>>
>>30639212
yup. Most people blow it on booze, but if I were you I'd invest it somewhere.
>>
>>30639212
oh, and taxes.
>>
>>30639224
I'll probably do like, 33% saving/investing, 33% booze, 33% guns and shit.
>>
>>30639243
I like to qualify gun purchases as investments
>>
Graduate EM school this monday fellas. Peacing out to home for 10 days and then off to Yokosuka Japan.
>>
>>30639105
Youre right on all that. The CTTs worked in CiC right beside me and they could jam and shoot chaff and other hands on things and yes maintan there own stuff. CTRs worked in a little room call SESS and no one ver went in there besides themselves and the occasional nosey officer. You could look into advancement and manning percentages. Go back to that site i linked and check them out.
>>30639300
What ship you got orders to?
>>
>>30639316

CG-62 USS Chancellorsville. One of the only cruisers with the new AEGIS upgrade too IIRC.
>>
>>30639362
Damn you got lucky, thats a good ship. i was on 2 cruisers. The antietam is there and it has the upgrade as well and it was awesome. I dont know how much that will affect you as an EM though since most of all that dealt with CIC and CSMC type stuff. Youns should have RO systems instead of boilers at least so there will be plenty of fresh water.
>>
>>30639412

That's what people have been telling me. It seems like a ship with a good rep and the command seems like they are ontop of their game.

Will be testing in Sept I hope ill pick up PO3 first time up. I don't play games when it comes to exams or knowledge.
>>
>>30639525
Bro i hate to be the barer of bad news but its 20% to E-4 and overall the advancement looks horrible.
http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/enlisted/community/surface_engineering/Documents/EM.pdf
Either way you should be able to have a great time in Japan and on deployments.
>>
>>30632774
Sounds like a perfect fucking day to me, Nancy.
>>
>>30639583

Yeah I have looked into it. I have 2 top grad awards and college and other shit to add on. We'll see though all I can is try and score in the highest %-ile I can.
>>
>>30630227
Look man. Here's the deal.

If you are going to be in the Infantry, then an airborne unit is the only way to go.

All infantryman hate their lives. It's frustrating. It's boring. It's largely peacetime.

At least in an airborne infantry unit you have something to be proud of. In a regular line infantry unit you run the risk of being assigned to some weak ass shit, or God forbid, a fat mechanized unit.

If you REALLY want my opinion; I wouldn't join at all without a ranger contract. Never. Not. Ever.
>>
Torn between 11b and 13b

Help me /k/
>>
>>30639641
Yep, if you plan on staying in you prob wanna cross rate man.
>>
>>30639316
>You could look into advancement and manning percentages. Go back to that site i linked and check them out.

So if I'm reading this right, I start at P03 right off the bat as CTR and CTT?
CTT seems to have much faster advancement and is combat oriented enough, but again I'll have to just consult with the jobs guy that I was told about after I finished my practice ASVAB. I don't think they'll steer me wrong if I narrow it down between those two. Hopefully they'll be honest and give me the most suited job, not one that needs to be filled faster or can get me more money.
A lifelong career sound wonderful, so the CTT is a bit more tempting along with my previous school experience.
>>
>>30639732

CTN is what I am looking at. Sometime I think I should tried age on the age waivers for Nuke, but i get reaffirmed that the nuke life is shit.
>>
>>30639756
>I start at P03 right off the bat as CTR and CTT?
No, if you come in as a E-1,2,3 is dependent on other stuff and you adanvce through those with Time In Rate. You just gotta be in rate. For E-4 its 100% so just write your name and you got it. You wont go wrong either way they are both good.
>>30639773
>CTN is what I am looking at.
Wait, so why didnt you just go in as a CTN? Crossing from a EM to CTN would be amazingly rare. I was suggeting to a different engine rate but jumoing ship completely is possible just rarer. PLus you gotta get a TS/sci clearance and new a school and all that.
>>
>>30639862
>You just gotta be in rate. For E-4 its 100% so just write your name and you got it
okay, so someone out of highschool would go into this and instantly get E-4?
I have a two year degree already as an electronics engineering technician. Do I quality for something higher directly after entering or no? I've heard something about warrant officers, but I think that's army. What does the navy offer me in this regard that I could talk about to my recruiter?
>>
>>30639862

I got screwed over on age waivers for Nuke. Maxed out ASVAB should at least get my foot in the door to cross.
>>
>>30639907
you would qualify for E-3 pay starting in bootcamp and be able to wear it once you graduate bootcamp.
>>
>>30639907
>I have a two year degree already as an electronics engineering technician.
They may bump you up to E-2 or E-3. talk to your recruiter about ways to jump up the junior pay grades before going in. There used to be a lot of ways. If you gave them names of people to call you got bumped to E-2, if you passed some intial info anf fitness test at boot theyd bump you up or if your RDCs liked you and you worked hard they could bump you up as well.
>okay, so someone out of highschool would go into this and instantly get E-4?
Once you finish A school you will officially be rated. 6 months after that you are eligible to take the E-4 test. You cant become E-4 until you are rated.
>>30639933
Wear what? E-3 doesnt mean jack shit. Until you are rated and have a warfare device no one will give a fuck what you have to say.
>>30639915
Ok but still if you are so on the ball why the fuck did you choose EM? No offense but thats a retard rate. They kind of just dump people there with low asvabs and no secutiry clearances.
>>
>>30639969

It doesn't mean jack, but you are still required to wear your rank on dress uniforms to be in regulations. You are being paid as E-3 but are technically an E-1 until you transfer out of RTC. Just giving anon a technically correct answer.

>>30639969
Placeholder job that I got stuck with when paperwork stalled. I've sat with cheifs and senior chiefs over @ SWOS and CSCSU and tried to get ET/FC or even IC but they all say I have to do 2 years at least.
>>
>>30640046
>Placeholder job that I got stuck with when paperwork stalled.
Ok you gotta explain this to me. Were you still in DEP? What exactly stalled? Hell what does stalled even mean? If i wasnt getting the job i signed up for i wouldnt go.
>>
>>30639933
>>30639969
ok, cool. Thanks for the help guys.
I'll have to sleep on what I'll actually say I'll take.
>>
>>30640101

I signed a contract for a job predicated that waivers would clear for another so I could get shipped out sooner.
>>
>>30640318
Aw man they suckered you. That sounds like some bullshit. What rate were you trying to get?
>>
>>30640380
Nuke. All I needed was some age waivers.
>>
>>30640396
Dude youre kilin me, why would you even want nuke? We shit on nthat all the time on here its such a shitty ass job. I always reccomend CTN over Nuke no matter what. btw how old are you?
>>
>>30640434

Yeah I talked to a few people about it after and heard plenty of unflattering things about it. I'm 26 now to answer your question.
>>
>>30640453
>26
They made you get a waiver for 26??? That doesnt seem old at all.
>>
>>30640480

the nuke program's own age limit is 24 without being waved.
>>
>>30638400
Drunk, former EOD. Ask away before I pass out.
>>
>>30640515
>Did you mostly do training? How often did you dispose of actual explosions?

>Did you actually like it?

>What was training like?

>What do you do now?
>>
>>30640505
Damn im suprised its so low. Why the hell is that any idea? I mean even seals is 28 without a waver if im not mistaken.
>>30640515
You have to realize no one will believe you unless you post proof right?
>>
Odds that this Turkey shit will cause an American involved war
>>
>>30640555
Slim. The coup is practically over now. However, the year has been unpredictable.

also, checked.
>>
File: well_fuck.jpg (2 MB, 2144x1608) Image search: [Google]
well_fuck.jpg
2 MB, 2144x1608
>>30640537
>Did you mostly do training? How often did you dispose of actual explosions?

I disposed of actual explosions very often. Inside the united states, I spent most of my time in what is known as a legacy unit, which was very small an isolated. That meant that local police without bomb disposal or who dealt with military ordnance for hundreds of miles called us.

On deployment, I dealt with a variety of shit on a regular basis. Vanilla IED stuff on convoys, suicide bombers, mark & clearing IEDs for SOCOM, clear caches, clearing dud munitions both friendly and enemy. always a new thing.

>Did you actually like it?
A ton.

>What was training like?
Long and hard. Like your mom's dick.

>What do you do now?
Electrical engineer.

>>30640545
Here's a bomb.
>>
I sucked A LOT of Fucking cock in the navy
>>
>>30640609
yep
>>
>>30640593
Which branch were in? Also, do you know if there are many EOD-related work opportunities with law enforcement. Once you get out, I mean.
>>
>>30640646
You are NOT me
>>
>>30640652
Army.

There are opportunities, but what I've heard from my friends who looked into that was that there was also some bullshit around that. Most places required that they do a year as a vanilla beat cop before applying to bombsquad (which would be guaranteed to be approved). they would also have to go to HDS school, which is considered a laughingstock by military EOD.

I know a guy who went to do ordnance clearing with UBX afterwards. From what I hear, he makes big bucks, but it's not a consistent paycheck since he gets paid per job.
>>
>>30640681
Any tips for EOD school?
>>
>>30640735
Red wire
>>
>>30640735

Leave your branch rivalry bullshit at the door. You will work with all branches. Deal with it.

Be flexible and adaptable to new information.

Never get singletracked to assume you are down the the right path to figuring something out if it doesn't seem right. Step bakc and consider wider options.

Don't lose your composure.

If you make it past the initial tests, never get complacent. Always study and give 100% to the "no-brainer" tests. It's easy to fail if you aren't paying attention, and it reflects very badly on you.
>>
About to leave for Army BCT on Monday. Thanks to you cocks for the keks and advice.
>>
I graduated from a 4-year with a degree in Electrical Engineering with a 3.6 (i fucked up bad during the last semester).

After graduating, I took a gap year so I got no connections for jobs(basically, i dun goofed).

I'm thinking about going into either navy or airforce to work as an engineer. I'm interested in the airforce's 62EXE and navy nuclear officer.

Does anyone have experience with these (in particular 62E)? Is the job market favorable for these rates/specialties?
>>
File: 1467280249306.jpg (32 KB, 297x331) Image search: [Google]
1467280249306.jpg
32 KB, 297x331
>>30641321
>After graduating, I took a gap year so I got no connections for jobs(basically, i dun goofed).
>>
Currently in the DEP. I'm leaving in about a month. What is the second MEPS visit like? Do I have to do it all over again?
>>
I know it's virtually impossible to go from guard to active, but say at the end of my guard contract I wanted to go navy?

I think I have a relevant mos, wheeled vehicle mechanic plus generator repair, but is that a likely thing? I know a lot of navy, marines, airmen and active duty army finish and go to the guard, but anyone ever heard of the opposite?
>>
Is it true that Air Force NCO classes teach "cultural tolerance" classes and other new age philosophies (like "being triggered")?

Did a Columbia University student set up shop in the military? Does the military have any official Tumblr pages now? And will that affect a military's ability to engage in combat?
>>
>>30623558
>Have a degree in Air Traffic Control
>Tried to join the Army
>Instead of TACP first

And if you aren't a DYEL become a CCT. Better in every way.
>>
>>30642732
Its like height and weight then you swear in- remember you are damn near jesus when you are at meps so nothing has changed since last time

Anyone else heading to ft. sill monday?
>>
>>30644678
>Columbia
West point*
>>
I just finished AIT in May, enjoying my part time work as a nasty girl. But help me out, I've got a buddy who went 25 series, active duty, he's still in AIT, his wife is leaving him, he's bombing pt to get out of the army and go home to smoke weed, he's depressed, I helped him so much in basic and it kills me to hear that he's wasting his chance to serve, pls bros, how do I motivate my buddy?
>>
What are modern barracks like on bases? Are they basically just apartments?
>>
>>30645510
More like cheap college dorms, because depending on the branch you'll generally share a bedroom and a bathroom
>>
>>30645581
You share a bedroom? That sucks.
>>
Hey /meg/, in movies and shit you always have Bob Redneck manning the fucking doomsday bunker as the evil dudes swoop in to steal the doomsday macguffin.

How do you get a job at any sort of high-security installation? Is it just luck of the draw, or do you have to specifically apply as a maintenance engineer to slowly stroke off a Minuteman II as you service it?
>>
>>30641321
The gap year wasn't the problem. Letting the connections you made go away without getting rec letters was your problem. Gap years between undergrad and grad are common and professors cool enough to write rec letters understand that.
>>
>>30642732
Benning? That's my timeframe to head over there.
>>
My main question is whether I should enlist or join as an officer. I have a BA in Theatre with a GPA of 2.89, AQFT Percentile: 98, and I scored 127 on the DLAB. I was diagnosed with ADD but never took any medication and got on the Dean's List twice in college.

Enlisted: The MOS I'm most interested in is 35P Cryptological Linguist. There's a MI battalion really close to where I live. I'd go the DLI in Moterrey for Mandarin Chinese. Downside is the length of training and being subject to the whims of E-5's and up.

Officer: I already have a degree, and my ASVAB scores are pretty competitive. The pay is better, the training is shorter, and I get leadership training/experience. Downside is that I wouldn't be able to choose my branch, and I'd be responsible for a platoon's worth of soldiers.

Your thoughts?
>>
>>30648438
>BA in Theatre with a GPA of 2.89
???
>>
>>30648438
Enlist, you're not competitive with a 2.9 in fucking theater
>>
>>30648574
This: Enlisted corps exists for the noncompetitive.
>>
File: finnman.gif (2 MB, 235x150) Image search: [Google]
finnman.gif
2 MB, 235x150
>>30647156
Yeah, that's a much better way of putting it. Except instead of grad school, I wanted a job after the gap year.

It's a harsh way to learn a lesson, but I certainly had it coming. I can't change the past. Just got to look for opportunities and make what I can with them.

I looked into 62EXE, and on the surface it looks like a pretty good way to go. I just wanted to ask if anyone had experience with 62E and could shed some light on it.
>>
File: canactuallythrowabaseball.gif (3 MB, 288x216) Image search: [Google]
canactuallythrowabaseball.gif
3 MB, 288x216
What sort of work would a CG officer do?
I've been told that its a lot more general than the other forces, that you might work on a cutter for a couple years, then work in port boarding vessels, then work an ice breaker. Is there any actual specializations other than the obvious medical, law, aviation, etc?
>>
>>30648772
If you go officer you won't actually be using your degree the way you might be in the private sector. You'd be managing more and being less hands on, that's more what the enlisted and contractors do
>>
File: 1464031686761.png (218 KB, 800x529) Image search: [Google]
1464031686761.png
218 KB, 800x529
>>30648828
That's what I heard as well, that this would be putting me more in the direction of management than directly building it, but becoming a contractor requires connections and as I'm aware the enlisted do more repair/maintenance than design/development. My biggest problem in finding a job was that I did not have connections. Management might be exactly what I need, since it would necessitate me being in contact with a lot of people while still being exposed to the subject matter. I also heard that 62EXE might be assigned to a lab, where there might be more opportunities to do development and design, though only one source has said that and it's a fucking blog.

Correct me if I'm wrong at any point, though.
>>
>>30648980
From what I learned about the AF since i was looking into applying there, you choose between rated and nonrated contracts and apply for those, rated are the pilots, NFOs or whatever the AF uses, and drone dudes.

Nonrated is the rest so you won't exactly be able to apply directly to be 62E but you'd list it on some dream sheet once you're in supposedly. I might be wrong about that, don't know much about OTS
>>
>>30648438
>I have a BA in Theatre with a GPA of 2.89

My guess is you have terrible self-discipline and poor study habits. DLI would kill you.
>>
/meg/,

surface sub or air?
>>
>>30644678
Please kill yourself.
>>
>>30649427
not subs
what ratings are you looking at?
>>
>>30649427
Remember: submarines double down on the worst parts of being on a ship.

6 section duty on a surface ship? Try 3 section on a submarine. Shitty berthing on a surface ship? Now you share your rack with two other people and have no storage space whatsoever. Can't talk to your loved ones often enough on a surface ship? Now you can't talk to them at all.
>>
What are the best ways to see the green/ground side of the Navy?

Thinking of factors like fun, advancement, conditions, opportunity to go to more schools, etc.
>>
>>30649312
Would OCS be any better?
>>
if I enlist in the army with a GED, do they even look at my highschool history?
>>
Why does /meg/ always shit on nukes and submarines?
Did y'all think enlisting would be a picnic?
>>
>>30650217
You won't get a shot at OCS with a 2.98 in fucking theater. Unless you do great on the ASTB and go for pilot in Navy/USMC, that might be your only shot
>>
>>30650664
I'm trying to join the National Guard, but thanks for the info.
>>
>>30650659
It's a smart guy job with a dumb guy work environment. Some people have to take shitty long-hour jobs to by because they can't do better, but none of those people would make it through nuke school.
>>
>>30650713
But someone must do it. The military can't all be special operations washouts.
>>
So, what are the differences between being a 68W with an option 40 contract, and going for corpsman and trying to get a spot in the FMF?

Differences in training quality, quality of life, where I'll be stationed, etc. Things like that.
>>
>>30650779
"Someone's gotta do it" is not a good reason to choose it, and it isn't a good enough reason for /meg/ not to shit on nukes.

Recruiters make the meme ten times worse by pushing nuke onto anyone that can qualify for it and trying to convince them that they're god's gift to the Navy.
>>
>>30650852

68W + Opt 40 means you're a SOF medic in the Ranger Regiment. FMF just means you're a doc for the Marines.

The equivalent to FMF in the Army would just be any 68W in a line unit. The Marines don't really have an equivalent for Option 40 (an enlistment pipeline into SOF).
>>
>>30650904
They do actually, it's called SARC and it means you work with force recon and MARSOC, that is of course if you can pass the selection process
>>
>>30650938

Unless you can get a contract from MEPS that says "SARC" on it now, that's not the case.

Option 40 isn't just being a Ranger, it's an enlistment contract that guarantees someone a shot at being a Ranger.
>>
>>30650852
Greenside corpsman here. I cant speak for 68W, but I can attest that I love being with a Marine unit. It's not easy, and you will have to deal with Marine Corps bullshit (however you can pull the Navy card sometimes and break away from it)

From best to worst you'll likely be stationed in either Hawaii, Pendleton, Japan, Lejeune, or 29 Palms.

I would recommend trying for Corpsman with an FMF spot. It's not guaranteed, but if you show you want to go FMF they will likely put you there. You might not go to a Marine unit first, you might go to a hospital first, but most Corpsman who want to go green side will go at some point in their first enlistment. Also, try to go to Division, not a POG unit.

Also, I'm probably biased with my answer.
>>
File: 1468724440603.gif (263 KB, 600x304) Image search: [Google]
1468724440603.gif
263 KB, 600x304
I'm at a crossroads guys. To start off, I'm 21. I've took a couple classes in community college, but other than that have no formal education(Except my HS diploma obvi)

So, I'm stuck between two plans:

>A
Go to school, apply for a 4-year, or just continue to get my AS at community then transfer. Then get a Bachelors in ____(I'm unsure of what my major should be yet) then possibly enlist in the military(Most likely Army). After, I want continue to work in the medical field but I;m unsure of WHAT in the medical field(Perhaps PA?)

or

>B
Enlist in the Army, go either Ranger, or 18x and work my hardest to become a medical professional doing special operations type stuff. Then get out, and use my GI Bill/TA to get my degree in something science/medical related and go to PA school, potentially.

What do? I realize my aspirations are grandeur, but I was told to always shoot for the highest I can, and I firmly believe I can do it if I set my mind to it.
>>
>>30651219
No one here could possibly correctly answer this, or give a satisfactory answer.
>>
>>30651219
not really enough info for anyone here to give a satisfactory answer. Are you going to be able to fund your 4 year degree in whatever without assistance? Are you planning to make a career doing medical type work in the military, of just get out after 4 years? Will you be comfortable getting out of the military at 25 and potentially not completing colege until you're 30? Only you yourself can really make that determination man.
>>
>>30625100
Think about how your day will go, or listen to some podcasts. The less you think about running the faster is goes by, weird I know but it helped me once I started moving my fatass.
>>
How are the living arrangements for active personnel in the navy?
Is just just 50 guys with mixed rates all living together, or do they separate you by your job/rank?
>>
>>30651219
Yeah you can go 18X (and maybe get 18D) or go 68W and maybe pasd RASP to get SOCM.

Nothing is guaranteed in the Army mate. In college you have a guarantee you can eventually get there if you have money and time.

If all you want to do is PA and HAVE to be in the military, go Coast Guard. Life is 1000% better there for well-being and career opportunities.
>>
>>30653343
Also I'm airborne infantry with some knowledge bout career choices in this shit if anyone else has questions. Willing to help you autistic fucks.
>>
>>30653366
>airborne infantry
Were you 18x and failed out? If so gimme some details.
>>
>>30653374
No, went different route and did fine.

I know a bit about the SF pipeline if you could be more specific fucker.
>>
>>30653380
>No, went different route and did fine.
So you enlisted with an Option 4? Tell me more about your story.
>I know a bit about the SF pipeline if you could be more specific fucker.
Honeslty dont even know what to ask cause i dont know enough. Can you think of anything relevant to dump? Maybe assuming you make it through, whats life actually like as a green beret? I realize you deploy a lot but whats it like stateside?
>>
>>30653395
Another option.

Be prepared physically and mentally. But let them figure you out. You can prepare all you want but you will reach a moment that you're sucking miserably, and how you do in that moment can determine your selection.

Life is well as far as my buddies have told me. Get off early if theres nothing to do. And determining your own training is literally the best thing you can imagine. And obviously army.com and shit tells you all the rest. Its real good work.
Tons, tons of schooling, Army and civvy. Everything you need to be the best person you strive to be, literally. The world is yours in that field.
>>
>>30651219
Do what i'm going to do.

Go to uni and start training now so that by the time you finish, you'll be in top shape.

Then go to the recruiter in the Fall time and tell him you will sign on the dot for an 18X contract.

If all goes well you get selected, if not well at least you have a degree to pick you up after your service

>who knows, you might just wash out and end up in the 75th Ranger Bat
Not too shabby.

If you choose to make a career in the Army, try to commission as an officer since you have a degree - you will have a good packet!
>>
>>30653432
>Another option.
Well what option? Do you not wanna say?

Everythign you said jives with what ive heard. How about this, tell me some negatives. What downsides have you seen or heard of for green berets?
>>
>>30653445
Last part,

Meant to imply to commission as an officer after your enlistment comes to a close, if thats what you wanna do.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.