[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you arm a warrior caste?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: modern_horse2.jpg (145 KB, 700x467) Image search: [Google]
modern_horse2.jpg
145 KB, 700x467
I was thinking about knighthood and in modern times its just in England a reward given out and that's about it.

What if it wasn't? What if knighthood was something that still had a military significance? What if the Ezo Republic had survived and Samurai were still a thing? Modern Jaguar and Eagle warriors, etc, that kind of stuff.

How would a warrior class look like in battle? The same as regular soldier or would they have special gear? Would they lead the other troops or would they be their own units? Would their weapons be provided to them or would they have to arm themselves?

So if you had the power to design it, how would you have them look like? Infantry? Vehicles? Ceremonial equipment, like swords? What would there non-war functions in the civilian world be?
>>
>>30620766
I don't think the idea is really all that realistic in the modern era. Knighthood was relevant when personal arms and equipment were prohibitively expensive for most people. The only way to use them was to be sponsored by a wealthy landowner, and agree to fight on their behalf. Today, the average person can afford the same type of rifle (Maybe not the same brand/quality/features/whatever) as the most elite soldiers in their military, so the need for a special social class just isn't there. The whole "God made man. Sam Colt made them equal." has some veracity to it.
>>
>>30620766
Tank and AFV crews. The knight/samurai is the Tank Commander at the vehicle belongs to the family. Squires and pages of varying seniority crew the other positions
>>
>>30620899
Its not that unrealistic if they performed functions in the civilian world in addition to war.

And would very well remain relevant if they were obligated to serve in the military once called, unlike regular civilians who have no such obligation, turning these guys into a military reserve.
>>
CAS and Cav Tactics Armor would be crewed by Knights and/or Squires.
>>
>>30620939
We have that though. It's called the Army Reserve.
>>
File: 1460380157604.jpg (70 KB, 448x473) Image search: [Google]
1460380157604.jpg
70 KB, 448x473
>>30620980
Well duh. We are talking about 'what ifs' here.
>>
File: image.jpg (152 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
152 KB, 604x604
>>30620766

Did someone say Warrior class?
>>
But it exists. Most nations have proffessional standing armies made up of indvidual's full time jobs are preparing for and participating in combat.
>>
File: 1445329072328.png (396 KB, 596x697) Image search: [Google]
1445329072328.png
396 KB, 596x697
>>30623810
>I can't tell the difference between a professional army and feudal knights.
>>
>>30620766

This is so fucking stupid. Why the hell would you want to limit your available talent pool of soldiers? The only reason knights were better than your average peasant was because they had the time to be taught how to fight, rather than needing to spend their time in the fields; they could also afford decent armor, horses, and weaponry - all which would allow them to survive longer and get more experience.
>>
>>30623849
>implying warrior caste existed only in fedual systems
>implying all warriors of a warrior caste were land owning nobles with political power
>>
File: f-15-eagle_001.jpg (126 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
f-15-eagle_001.jpg
126 KB, 1200x800
>>30620766

>How would you arm a warrior caste?

The closest thing we have to a modern "warrior caste" would be combat pilots, so pic-related.
>>
Right now I'm imagining a modern king with all of the rifles and plate carriers of his retired loyal knights decorating his castle.

Why isn't this a thing?
>>
>>30623884
>Why the hell would you want to limit your available talent pool of soldiers?

Who said anything about that?

Jeezus guy, grow an imagination.
>>
>>30620766
Id say similar to modern high-levep pmc's or Spec Ops. Im not sure how they would function without swearing fealty to something though, maybe swearing allegiance to the constitution
>>
>>30621736
Absolutely badass
>>
>>30620766
>What if knighthood was something that still had a military significance?

Then the raubritter would also be something of civil significance...

>>30623884
>The only reason knights were better than your average peasant was because they had the time to be taught how to fight, rather than needing to spend their time in the fields;

Google that funny german word I used. The only significance of a knight was that he had just enough income to maintain a horse. Often, knights were fucking scum that would resort to highway robbery in their AO because they were so fucking poor.
>>
>>30620766
>How would you arm a warrior caste?

I wouldn't. The big deal with feudal warriors is that they armed themselves.

So King Jimmy wants to invade poland.

He tells his Barons to muster.

The barons call on their knights to muster, and from their personal armories that are maintained by raw materials and workers who reside on their lands, they arm their local peasants (with shit like hand gonnes, pikes, etc).

The knights do the same, mustering up their horses, which are maintained on their lands, and they arm themselves with weapons either produced by that fief's blacksmith, or traded for with goods produced on the land.

The modern equivalent of that would really be the militaman. He arms himself with his own goods, and responds to a muster. The big thing missing is that he isn't the top dog in the military structure of today, and he doesn't respond to a highly convoluted system of oaths that keep feudalism running.
>>
>>30623953
My brother has his hall way lined with various plate carriers and helmets in a similar fashion.
>>
>>30620766
It would likely look like Mexico.
>>
>>30624649
>The modern equivalent of that would really be the militaman. He arms himself with his own goods, and responds to a muster. The big thing missing is that he isn't the top dog in the military structure of today, and he doesn't respond to a highly convoluted system of oaths that keep feudalism running.

Well I think a strong peacetime role in the government or societal structure would be a very useful thing in creating a difference between the self-armed militiaman and the knight. As well as making them a distinct role in the military to differentiate between them and regular soldiers.

Make the knights its own corps, like the Marines, when in war. And at peace make them civil servants or something.
>>
>>30620910
Nah bro, combat pilots are the closest thing we have to knights. Tank crews are glorified artillery troops.
>>
>>30620766
I would make the sacred band of thebes but with /k/omandos, but only the straight ones.
>>
Knights in ye olde times were politicians and clerks too you know
>>
>>30626632
>button pusher
>>
>>30620939
>obligated to serve in the military once called, unlike regular civilians who have no such obligation

OP confirmed underage or illegal immigrant.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.