[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Brain Buckets
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 16
Let's discuss helmets.

Is a good battle helmet worth the money? Which helmet do you think offers the best overall protection In combat?
>>
File: kenan-and-kel.jpg (46 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
kenan-and-kel.jpg
46 KB, 620x465
>>30615885
Who loves orange soda?!
>>
>>30615955
Why?
>>
File: helmet stopped AK round.jpg (34 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
helmet stopped AK round.jpg
34 KB, 300x450
>>30615885
>Is a good battle helmet worth the money?
Is it worth protecting your most essential and vulnerable body part from potential insta-kill projectiles? Hell yes, if you ask me.
>Which helmet do you think offers the best overall protection In combat?
The new ECH, which is rated NIJ Level III, but is shaped and told to weight like the modern ACH helmets.

Otherwise, I'd go with a IIIa PASGT-like "full" helmet. More coverage all around. Another option would be those Russian Sphere helmets, which are weighty, but do have large coverage and high level of protection. The latest one has been shown to stop even 7.62x54R.
>>
>>30616386
ECH unless they are one of the rushed ones where the resin was not fully cured. I would go with the ach next mainly due to the repeated cases of rifle hits penetrating the helmet but riding around the inside of the helmet with no cranial penetration (your hairline is fucked though) then I would need to see/learn more of what options exist
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i6T91H4HgE
>>
>>30616386
The ruski ones are nice but fuck theyre heavy. I have a ZSH1-2 and that bitch isnt light, but its bearable even for infantry use without the mask on. The LSHZ-2DT is similar and about as cheap. The newest ones are the ZSH1-2MR and the LSHZ-2DTM which are both outstanding, as well as some FORT brand helmet i cant remember the name of.

6b47s are outstanding as well, super light for the protection.
>>
>>30615885
Even shit helmet is worth the money.

I think the Adrian helmets, the lightest and least protective of all steel helmets reduced the number of mortal head injuries by more than a dozen %. Most of them, of course, from shrapnel and other shit like that but it was still good enough for every single other army to adopt their own steel helmets which later evolved in modern composite/kevlar/whothefuckknowswhat helmets.
>>
Well, helmets do atleast what their were actually suppossed to do and that is securing your head from injury caused by shrapnel, some bullets might bounce off etc. On the other hand it makes the area that bullet could possibly hit your head abit greater.

It is by far a better solution than to go out without one i asume.
>>
>>30615885
In combat? As in you're in a ditch slinging lead at some other guy in a ditch that is slinging lead back? The best that money can buy.

Or by 'in combat' do you mean 'lol oh no it's the apocalypse XD I hope I have enough stuff LOL!'

In case of the latter just a fucking WWR helmet or climbers helmet. Your biggest problem won't be getting shot in the head, but your head hitting something hard. Why carry around all that extra weight when the chances are a bullet is going to hit you in the face and even if that helmet catches that bullet you're on the ground knocked the fuck out at best.

Literally the only reason to use a kev top is if you're actually in the shit being bombarded and shot at constantly.
>>
>>30617533
>WWR helmets

Are we delta force now?

Honestly WWR helmets are probably the most practical. Personally I would just wear a baseball cap for some civil unrest shit.
>>
>>30617037
Fuck. It's scary how far those things fly.
>>
>>30617533
>Or by 'in combat' do you mean 'lol oh no it's the apocalypse XD I hope I have enough stuff LOL!'
in that case a tuffcap (baseball cap with hard insert) will be enough & not make you the guy shot first as potential raider.
>>
>>30617543
How about inna hard hat?
>>
Do any helmets come with nightvision attatched?

Also what's the price range on a decent helmet?
>>
File: Big guys.jpg (40 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Big guys.jpg
40 KB, 400x300
>2016
>Being in the Military
>Not being in a highspeed low drag tactical baseball cap unit
It's like you don't even unconventional warfare
>>
>>30617543
>Personally I would just wear a baseball cap for some civil unrest shit.

What happened to Reginald Denny makes a compelling argument for having a hockey helmet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc_SgpyJWRY
>>
>>30618125
I feel like wearing a helmet during unrest would make you more of a target. Something stealthy would work though. There are some hat-style bike helmets, and baseball cap liners (those don't seem very protective though)
>>
Bought one surplus on line a while back for $25. Kevlar IIIa protection. I'm happy with it.
>>
>>30618324
Will it stop an M193 5.56mm round or a 7.62 NATO direct hit?
>>
>>30618461

No Level IIIA ballistic helmets (PASGT, ACH, LWH) are designed to stop a direct hit from 7.62 NATO or 5.56. The Ops-Core FAST is purported to be able to do that, but even they don't advertise that.
>>
>>30615885
get a surplus SADF M83 helmet or an Israeli Orlite

You usually can get them for less than $60 and they are made out of Kevlar and offer IIIA protection.
>>
>>30618920
So whats the smallest/lightest option while still offering maximum protection?
>>
>2016
>wearing a helmet
>not wanting to die
>>
>>30618178
>wearing equipment makes you a target

What stupid /k/ meme is this that I keep seeing?

YOU CAN TAKE IT OFF IF YOU DONT WANT TO LOOK A CERTAIN WAY IN FRONT OF CERTAIN PEOPLE
>>
>>30616386
No use having a helmet that can stop a 7.62x54r if the kinetic force can break your neck anyway.
>>
Is the main benefit of a helmet it's ability to deflect a bullet?

Seems like if it stopped one your neck would likely break anyway
>>
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a cheap helmet. I'm not interested in any ballistic protection at all, I just need it to hold my PVS-15 comfortably and of course I want it to look kind of gucci. Preferably not extremely tacticool looking, more like those skater helmets that old school operators used.
>>
>>30619774
So get an old school skater or hockey helmet.

Team Wendy and others make plenty of non ballistic helmets if you want something with nod mounts integrated.
>>
>>30619743
No, it's to stop primary shrapnel (shell fragments) and secondary shrapnel (rocks).

Stopping bullets is a side benefit; and no, it would not break your neck.
>>
>>30619743
the main point of a helmet is to stop shrapnel baka
>>
>>30615955
Kel loves orange soda!
>>
>>30619794
Thanks, team wendy looks pretty good.
>>
>>30619656
It's more likely that you'll not break your neck than it is you'll get shot without the helmet and live.
>>
>>30618461
A direct hit from a kilometer away maybe.
>>
>>30615885

Why is his hand so big?
>>
>>30617462
Where can I get a 6B47?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1466038145453.jpg (810 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1466038145453.jpg
810 KB, 2048x1152
>>30620079
Russians
>>
More importantly, are these just a meme, or do they actually stop rounds?
>>
>>30620671
My Russian won't export armor because he'll go to pound me in the ass prison
>>
>>30619743

It's to stop shrapnel and no, it wouldn't break your neck. When do you graduate hugh school?
>>
>>30619941
don't listen

they donated money to Shillary and invited her to speak at their factory
>>
>>30616386
You again? Fucking autist, sphera helmet is rated class 2 in rusian system not class 5 for 54r. It's sligtly better rating than nij 3a and is rated to stop a tokarev round at it's best.
>>
>>30619585
Certain people is every person. It's the main reason you don't want to look like a mall ninja in a BoB situation or an antagonizer in an area of civil unrest. Every person which a shred of common sense knows to hide in plain sight.
>>
File: TachankaIsGreatAgain.webm (645 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
TachankaIsGreatAgain.webm
645 KB, 640x360
>>
>>30619656
>>30619743
Why the living goddamn FUCK do people repeat this fucking FALSE bullshit??

Learn the goddamn physics, sonnys!

Would a bullet have that kind of power, you'd dislocate your own shoulder with every single shot you fire!
>>
>>30621725
Find better Russians then.
>>
File: Sphera-S_helmet.jpg (36 KB, 545x413) Image search: [Google]
Sphera-S_helmet.jpg
36 KB, 545x413
>>30622053
you do know there's multiple versions of Sphera out there? The lv2 81-variant is not the latest, but the Sphera-S is. And that's the helmet which's plate inserts have been proven to be capable of stopping 7.62x54R with very high success rate, and all the intermediate assault-rifle rounds with little effort.
>>
File: d3cr and zsh-12.jpg (3 MB, 5344x3006) Image search: [Google]
d3cr and zsh-12.jpg
3 MB, 5344x3006
>>30619743
Infantry helmets are for shrapnel mostly, masked helmets like this or MSA KFSes or ulbricts zentorios are made to stop rounds for counter terror teams.
>>
>>30621442
I heard that they aren't necessarily bullet proof, but they are shrapnel proof and good for taking hits on the head. Idk google.
>>
>>30622584
I have no idea where you've heard that bullshit but please stop shilling. Neither of sphera series helmets is rated to stop anything beyond a pistol round.
>>
File: SuomenSotilas_kansi_2016_1.jpg (203 KB, 618x874) Image search: [Google]
SuomenSotilas_kansi_2016_1.jpg
203 KB, 618x874
>>30622715
Suomen Sotilas, a Finnish military stuff focused magazine. They themselves tested that shit few months back, as Ruskies love to praise their new brain-bucket's amazing protection levels.

No need to get butthurt just because you've never heard of the Sphera-S.
>>
>>30622776
Please. The only difference the SSSh-94 sphera-s has over the older STSh-81 version is steel plates rather than titanium ones. Rating is the same level 2.
>>
>>30619585
Those "certain people" are the same ones I'm wearing the gear for. When am I supposed to put it on, only when I'm being attacked?
And YES you don't want to stand out during riots. Rioters focus on signal targets, people or places being looted. If you get noticed by one person you're in trouble
>>
>>30621442
I read from No Easy Day that people like them because they are less of a burden and more comfy than a regular helmet.
>>
File: sss.jpg (22 KB, 671x503) Image search: [Google]
sss.jpg
22 KB, 671x503
The PASGT actually, or the Marines LWH. (Correct me if I am wrong, it's a PASGT but built with same technique and materials as a ACH). Anyone who says ACH has never worn a PASGT. The ACH covers less of your head, and runs a size smaller than it should be, leading to discomfort. Trade-off, PASGT has slightly less ballistic resistance and is slightly heavier. In Circa 2006 Army personnel were given the option of ACHs or PASGTs, as up until the mandatory switch, ACH users were statistically receiving more injury from the less coverage area.

I havent read much but the ECH is supposedly really good, and would technically be the best. It's all dependent on what you want/need for what you are doing. Currently I use a CVC DH132 Kevlar tanker helmet modified with a chin strap, pads, rails etc. It's lighter than the Crye Airframe and offers the same protection. Also was free minus the parts I bought. Pic related, it was my PASGT in Korea.
>>
File: dealwithit.jpg (639 KB, 2270x1475) Image search: [Google]
dealwithit.jpg
639 KB, 2270x1475
>any helmet other than a stahlhelm

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/finnish-m-55-steel-helmet-surplus/10341
>>
>>30625780
PASGT pattern may cover more, but it'll also push the "visor" over your eyes when you go prone if you're wearing body armor

ACH added this ballistic neck pad
>>
File: army.mil-2007-03-02-080400.jpg (1 MB, 1967x1619) Image search: [Google]
army.mil-2007-03-02-080400.jpg
1 MB, 1967x1619
>>30625841
whoops forgot image
>>
>>30625856
>>30625841
I added a 4 point chinstrap to mine. It got rid of that issue. The two front screw point already exist. I drilled in 2 to the back and it was kosher.>>30625856
Ironically I also added the ACH issued nape pad as well.
>>
>>30625825
I got a stahlhelm from IMA and its too small for my head :(
>>
File: Photo-1-Helmet-Photo-June-2-.jpg (90 KB, 502x584) Image search: [Google]
Photo-1-Helmet-Photo-June-2-.jpg
90 KB, 502x584
Anyone here try the Revision Cobra that was adopted by the British Army?
>>
>>30625825
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKvX8_nbD-Y
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.