[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm taking an economics class and we were going over
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: 1393146473356.jpg (87 KB, 799x597) Image search: [Google]
1393146473356.jpg
87 KB, 799x597
So I'm taking an economics class and we were going over a 'supply and demand' concept. Basically the way I understand it, the more people want something, the higher the price goes, until more of that thing is made and sold, and then the price falls. It's a strict law of nature that if less people want something the price will go down, and if more people want something the price goes up.

I'm thinking about it, and I'm thinking this could be applied to the new gun market. Everyone bitches that new guns undergo horrible loss in value when you buy them, right? A 3k gun could turn into a 2k gun the second it leaves the dealer's hands. That's a huge amount of money just totally vanished and removed from the economy forever, and it's the reason why it's a better idea to always buy used.

What if everyone collectively decided to not buy new guns for a few months? By law the price of new guns will go down, and eventually it'll get to the point where a new gun could be at the price of a used gun, and at that point everyone could just buy the new guns at used prices and avoid the depreciation hit. This way, everyone saves some money and it's not removed from the economy. Any thoughts?
>>
>>30561536
But the 1k don't disappear, they wander just in the pocket of the dealer or gunsmith. Only 1k of value is lost.
>>
>>30561536
>Everyone bitches that new guns undergo horrible loss in value when you buy them, right
Literally who. Guns lose very little of their value, and even wear and tear have little impact because the function is typically unaffected. It's easy as fuck to sell guns second hand at or near retail price unless something is distinctly wrong with it. And plenty of people are willing to buy good condition second hand guns near retail price because it avoids shipping, transfers, or tax while getting a near identical product.
>>
File: image.png (17 KB, 498x498) Image search: [Google]
image.png
17 KB, 498x498
Gun manufactures could handle that hit but retailers couldn't, so the prices wouldn't go down you would just fuck the private sector.
>>
>>30561536
>>30561562
>value is destroyed by voluntary exchange

Go and stay go, commies.
>>
>>30561664
it happens to cars, guns, houses, any big ticket items lose value the moment they're sold
>>
>>30561536
>Everyone bitches that new guns undergo horrible loss in value when you buy them, right?
>thinking Cars and Guns follow the same trend of economics.
no newfriend, it doesnt work that way.
>>
>>30561536
The problems with your plan are:
1.) It relies on cooperation without any mechanisms to enforce cooperation. Even if you could get everyone to stop buying new guns, and gun dealers lowered their prices, individuals would renege and cash in on the new wave of deals before they hit "used gun" prices.
2.) It ignores methodological individualism. New guns aren't magically more expensive than used guns, they're more expensive because individuals generally prefer a new gun to a used one, and they are willing to pay more to satisfy these preferences.
>>
>>30561692
Except it doesn't happen to guns, and if you think a couple grand at most is a big ticket item then I've got news for you.
>>
>>30561536
Well genius, you should also be learning about consumer surplus and that price doesn't necessarily equal value to one person.... Price is what you pay, value is what you receive. Assuming complete information about quality and prices, people willing to pay more for shit do so because they perceive greater value for what they receive, ceteris parabus.

Source: economist partial to Austrian school of thought, I suck Milton Friedman's dick
>>
>>30561536
what happened to those boolits?
>>
>>30561761
this
yes op the demand for used guns would have to go up and if we all did this then the supply of used guns would go down raising the prices of used guns which might only succeed in driving the prices of all guns up as wholesalers and larger business are slower to react to market forces than individual sellers or smaller businesses that have greater control over their selling price
>>
>>30561536
It's actually brilliant. Good luck organizing it though, even with the internet and access to pretty much the entire gun community. People are just going to do what they want and trample over others to get stuff, look at .22lr. I practically had a guy snatch it out of my hand the other day and there was a full fucking shelf of it..
>>
>>30561536
are you still in highschool OP? this site has an 18 years age requirement, please follow the rules and leave
>>
>>30561692
no one wants to pay top dollar for something that isn't "new" because now it has your cooties on it
>>
>>30561536

FFS you just now learned about supply and demand? Are you still in high school or something?
>>
>>30561536

If demand dropped that low, prices would only fall temporarily. More likely, most gunstores would go out of business. Most rifles are actually sold at or very near the cost of production already, with very low margins for profit. Pushing it lower would really only drive businesses under.
>>
>>30562120
Fantastic quality control.
>>
File: 1287206841222.jpg (39 KB, 289x400) Image search: [Google]
1287206841222.jpg
39 KB, 289x400
>hey guys lets all form a gun cartel to manipulate the price of firearms nationwide

go away atf
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.