[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /k/! I want to get a shotgun for self defense, the apartment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: BZ6HTf5.jpg (153 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
BZ6HTf5.jpg
153 KB, 720x960
Hello /k/!

I want to get a shotgun for self defense, the apartment complex I live in have said they are fine with people owning guns, however, if there was someone who broke into my apartment and I shot them I don't want anyone to get hit in another apartment. What kind of ammo can I get to make sure that no one gets hit due to wall penetration? Should I just get a handgun instead?
>>
>>30546070
look for "frangible" rounds and most home defense rounds are designed to only penetrate a certain point and lose their lethality quickly

also get comfortable with "know your target and what lies beyond it"
>>
>>30546070
Google "Box of truth penetration tests"

Really good source of data on bullets vs. drywall.

A pistol round will still penetrate through several walls. I'd say birdshot. I'll probably get shit for suggesting something non lethal.

But I'd rather die due to inferior defensive measures than kill someone accidentally.
>>
>>30546099
After reading a forum post with people discussing this I feel like these are not a good idea for defense, users in the thread mentioned that they are not strong and would most likely not stop a person from trying to harm you.

>>30546116
I checked out the first google result but didn't quite understand all of the ammunition terminology but they did say on that site itself that birdshot and frangible rounds still penetrated past the first 3 walls and hit the fourth one.

Not sure what to do now, I feel like it might be bad if I get a gun now, I don't want to harm anyone that isn't a bad guy.
>>
>>30546200
Meant to say that the birdshot didn't go very far and that the frangible rounds still penetrated a couple of walls.
>>
>>30546200
I lived in a shitty part of town for 3 years and never had a single person attempt to break into my apt while i was in it or gone. If you don't think its worth the risk to shoot then don't buy a gun.
>>
>>30546200
Wasnt trying to say that it wouldnt over penetrate, just much less likely to seriously hurt innocents.

Home defense is always a dangerous endeavor, one needs to be absolutely certain that they can hit bad guy and not wall. Or there could be dire consequences.

I dont mean to dissuade you OP, but maybe a golf club, baseball bat, etc. is in your future.
>>
>>30546231
I just want it as a backup instead of just having nothing to defend myself with.
>>30546237
A baseball bat isn't going to save me from someone with a gun.
>>
>>30546070
>however, if there was someone who broke into my apartment and I shot them I don't want anyone to get hit in another apartment. What kind of ammo can I get to make sure that no one gets hit due to wall penetration?
You have two options:

AR-15 (lethal and breaks up quickly in drywall, both the 40gr and 77gr rounds are good for this)

Birdshot (not highly lethal but is a shotgun)
>>
Handguns w/ hollow points. They expand upon impact and quickly disperse all their kinetic energy: no risk of overpenetration and hitting a guy elsewhere.
>>
>>30546352
This is wrong and you are dumb. Hollowpoints out of a pistol get clogged up when shot into a wall (or dense clothing for that matter, though the best rounds mitigate this effect) and act like FMJ.

Pistol rounds and buckshot are terrible choices for someone with overpenetration concerns. >>30546310 is correct.
>>
>>30546310
Look up box of truth. 5.56/223 penetrates through several layers of drywall. Only fragments upon impacting wet, dense stuff (ie, people)
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.