[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kind of medical training does /k/ have? For all the posts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 146
Thread images: 15
File: Flag_of_the_Red_Cross.svg.png (11 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_the_Red_Cross.svg.png
11 KB, 2000x1333
What kind of medical training does /k/ have? For all the posts about SHTF, BoBs and innawoods I expect you guys to have your shit together in that area. Just finished an occupational first aid course myself, thinking of taking an emergency medical responder one later in the year.
>>
Basic first aid and experience. Taking a CPR course through my Fire department in a few weeks then going into their EMT course to get certification in addition to my firematic certifications. Free medical training, lower taxes and BTFO lights for my car, I don't know why I didn't join sooner
>>
>>30521810
Got the basics first-aid training (CPR, how to handle unconscious person, treating bleeding...) already during my school years, then again in scouts, once more in this firefighter's demonstration event, and again in the army (in tad more advanced form). I've also watched some Youtube tutorial videos made by military medics and such.

All in all, in layman's terms, the rules are simple:
-don't get shot / stabbed!
-if you do get shot / stabbed and don't die instantly, fucking plug that new hole of yours with anything you can, and seek professional medical help, ASAP.
>>
I'm CPR and first aid certified through work, but no other formal training.
>>
>>30521846
Explain yourself
>>
>>30521991
I volunteer for the fire department so I get free training, tax deductions and first responder lights. I'm currently a firefighter but I will be getting my EMT certification in the next few months. You get to know all of the police in your immediate area in addition to the the nurses in your local hospitals. That translates to a small degree of legal immunity in your community and preferential healthcare if you're ever unfortunate enough to end up in the ER.
>>
I watched some youtube videos once.
>>
>>30521810
First aid, CPR, and field surgery.
>>
CLS, so, none
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 435x713) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 435x713
Field medic and now nurse in the army. Deploying (unless things change) to falluja next fall with a surgical team. Medical game on fleek
>>
NREMT - B soon to be NRAEMT
>>
File: medigel.jpg (488 KB, 938x902) Image search: [Google]
medigel.jpg
488 KB, 938x902
TCCC certed, Rescue Diver certed. I know more than a normie, but a lot less than a dedicated medic.

>>30522948
As long as you don't get too big of a head about it, CLS is decent training. You won't realize how much you know until you're around people with 0% knowledge.
>>
>>30521810
Great at sucking so perfect for snakebites on your battle buddy's dick.
>>
Got my EMT* diploma last year, now on a voluntarily basis

*EMT means shit tier Austrian EMT which is equal to a first responder in actual serious countries
>>
>>30522948

Cardio Life Support? Anon, in my experience one of the most important things you can have in first aid is someone who can act calm and in control during the few minutes before the EMS arrive. In a real crisis situation like someone keeling over with a cardiac arrest the normies are going to start shrieking and panicking, half of your duties as a first responder are to basically give them the impression that things are under control and to avoid panic.
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 562x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 562x600
>>30523367
Combat life saver
>>
I wnt to emt classes. If you dont at least go to emt classes then you shouldnt be running around with an IFAK.

Or have some sort of combat life saver shit training going on.
>>
E-5 68W. I also am an RN and have a degree in radiology.
>>
>>30523487

It's not an IFAK, it's a tactical boo-boo kit, you really don't need to know how to suture a wound to be able to bandage it.
>>
Firefighter/ EMT with about 3 years doing this. Training means shit if you don't use it to stay fresh.
>>
>>30523508
Not everyone knows how to correctly bandage a wound
>>
File: image.jpg (296 KB, 680x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
296 KB, 680x1024
I am a nursing assistant job wise.

In school to be come a nurse anestestist/RN.
Mom is a registered nurse was a registered nurse when I was in utero.

Makes shit pretty easy.
>>
>>30523584
>nursing assistant
What are you guys allowed to do
>>
File: 1467062653465.jpg (83 KB, 345x395) Image search: [Google]
1467062653465.jpg
83 KB, 345x395
REMT, PHTLS, MPIC
>>
>>30521810
I'm a certified Wilderness First Responder and I'd recommend it to all /k/ommandos. It's a week long course, but it covers a lot more than first aid for when you can't readily get someone to a hospital.

I've had to use my knowledge a couple of times, and it's really come in handy. Especially if you go innawoods with any kind of regularity.
>>
>>30523664
>No giving drugs ( unless your a TMA).
So no drugs at all? That's less than what I do now, at least as an EMT I can give a few drugs to patients.
>>
>>30523674
EMTs get paid shit though.
>>
>>30523683
Fire/EMTs dont, not where I live.
>>
>>30523605
Your like a nurse with less chances of killing someone.

Less money too, but a super easy job to get into and pays okish, can be a living.

>That means:
No giving drugs ( unless your a TMA).
Your not in charge of anything
>>
>>30523693
What?? How much?

Here it is $14-16ish, MAYBE.
Firefighters are volunteer here.
>>
>>30523709
IAFF Firefighter/EMTs can expect to make 45-60k starting and top step around 80k. If you go medic you can top 100k/year
>>
CPR certs are bullshit.
And mean next to nothing.
>>
Buy yourself the EMT course book and go through that instead of fuckin about in down time

Basically make sure you know bls, how to apply tourniquet, most bandages, splint, IV, airway, proper procedure for working a casualty.

To sum it up. Air goes in and out, blood goes round and not out.
>>
>>30523717
And on top of that, our system that I work in has very lax protocols and a very cool MPD
>>
>>30523730
>Basically make sure you know bls, how to apply tourniquet, most bandages, splint, IV, airway, proper procedure for working a casualty.
>People learn from books, not actually doing practical rotations alongside course work

Wreckless advice.
>Just read a book and go start IVs
>>
>>30523717
Whoa in the US?

I almost call bullshit.
Top of the line medics here make $30-40k max.
>>
>>30523746
Yeah. WA state here. My department spends 500k per year on overtime with only 26 guys.
>>
>>30522332
Can confirm. It's pretty based
>>
>>30523694
I guess it's ok for fucking retards that can't even make the effort to spell [you're] correctly.
>>
>>30523745
Nigger if he's not smart enough to get training on these things by watching a YouTube video and then doing hands on- (everyone I know fucks up an IV when learning, you'll be fine anon)- then he's going to be fucking things up regardless, and any advice I provide is not the reason he can't handle a needle.

So go on OP, buy yourself some IV kits and find someone to practice on. I believe in you, we are the future.
>>
First aider at work.
Work in engineering so thought it would the typical joke course.
I was wrong, so very very wrong.
Intense course covering cuts and bruises, broken bones, heart attacks, gunshot wounds, electrical shocks, de-gloving and all other kinds of stuff.
All interesting really, and id like to pursue it further.
>>
EMT here

Kinda wanna go full paramedic but that's a lot of time and money that I'm not sure I have
>>
In conscript military they taught basic first aid and then revisited that again in combat conditions trained in field. Also how to make stretchers in the wilderness and how to save yourself or your friend from hypothermia if they fall through ice to cold water which we all had to go through.

Should have gone a medic but I became a team leader. Medic is maybe the most useful thing to go for as a conscript, almost all our medics were EMTs or nurses in our company. Hunters became marksmen, engineers got boom boom stuff certifications and we all others didn't get that much real life skills unless you count surviving in the woods and military tactics.
>>
Combat life saver, advanced trauma course (I think it's called that) I got to bandage a live pig so that was interesting.>>30521810
>>
File: 1467493175542.jpg (131 KB, 525x809) Image search: [Google]
1467493175542.jpg
131 KB, 525x809
>>30523618
>certified REMF
>>
>>30525617
image stolen
>>
>>30521810
CPR, First Aid, and AED and some more random shit from my mom taught me (trauma nurse). Interned at a hospital and was a lifegaurd. I'm confident I could stabilize most casualties until someone of better training takes over, could probably take care of most less serious injuries.
>>
>>30521810

I've been an emt/firefighter for 3 years and work full time on an ambulance. I'm also in nursing school.

Lifeguards and cpr trained people gtfo. You know jack shit.
>>
>>30527094
>gets realistically a week more of training
Basic EMTs barely get anymore and the majority of cases you respond too dont even necessitate that much more training
>grandma has sob
>good thing i learned to give her oxygen just like everyone else
>>
>>30527128

Hence the nursing school. I work with a guy on the ambo who I swear is mentally retarded.
>>
>>30527181
A guy who used to work at my hospital just got arrested for stealing morphine, dilaudid, and other shit and injecting it at work for like 10 years
>>
68w
>>
>>30524367
>buy yourself some IV kits and find someone to practice on

What do you plan on telling the doctor when he asks about that abscess?
>>
>>30527128
>Le BLS meme
EMT's go through more than a months training. And I routinely run traumas and codes in my region. Don't talk about shit if you don't know a thing about it.
>>
>>30527302
So the pixis actually checks the fingerprint?
>>
>>30525295
A lot of time? It's like 1-2 years ya big doof. Wtf else are you going to be doing
>>
>>30528032
I thought we already went over how he's going to either do it right by researching procedure or he's going to fuck up anyway.
I've done enough IV's in gross conditions and never had a problem besides my arms turning purple from bleeding beneath skin. (Tried learning IV's on myself)
>>
>>30528132
https://www.amazon.com/Intravenous-Infusion-Practicing-Nursing-Students/dp/B002VIDAN8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1467860507&sr=8-3&keywords=iv+practice

I bet you wish you started on this. Could have saved you a few weeks of looking like a junkie.
>>
>>30528192
http://www.arrowezio.com/

Go big or go home
>>
>>30521810
Took emt courses before I became a cop. I'm on the first responder team for active shooter scenarios.
>>
>>30528223
Is it worth it to switch from EMS to pd? I'm in medic school right now, 2 years on the bus as a basic.
>>
File: workshit.jpg (667 KB, 1720x1476) Image search: [Google]
workshit.jpg
667 KB, 1720x1476
>>30528249
Depends on where you are and what you are doing. I have friends who are LEO, they hate their job. They get paid half as much as I do and work worse hours (I work modified detroit with the fire-department and between trades and kelly days only work the front half (2 weeks) or back half (2 weeks of the month) usually.

>>30527128
EMTs are given basic first aid skills which are applicable to much of what this thread is about. As well as the knowledge and training to assist ALS providers actually practice real medicine (either working under a Paramedic commonly, or a nurse and even physician in some systems both pre and in hospital. )

>>30521810
MICP with some CCT experience. Currently work for a county based fire department service.

Prior experience in austere and wilderness environments.
>>
>>30523761
>>30523746

PNW union firefighter/Paramedic.

We start at $65,000, top out (before officer) at $85,000. With overtime which is just part of life (hold overs, training, deployments, paperwork, covering shifts) most make 6 figures.
>>
Almost finished a medical degree. Still don't know much.
>>
>>30523746

Probably the best cost of living to wage ratio departments are going to be in the PNW. Most Alaska/Washington/Idaho/Oregon departments are in the 5-8,000 a month salaried range with OT being on top of that. Obviously the guys making up to 8,000 are going to be around Seattle and Portland area.

I have friends who work in the SF bay area. They have been trying to get me to lateral down there forever. Santa Clara county was paying $11,000 a month for a line Paramedic. Problem is, the average median home price in Santa Clara county is now nearly one million and the highest in the nation.

I'd much rather work/live up north where I bought a small house for $150,000 and make around $100,000 a year.

Leaves more money for guns and recreating.
>>
>>30523502
What is a degree in radiology? As in, technician?
>>
Retard here.

Where would such a retard as I even start in learning to be more medically prepared?

My knowledge at this point is not to use quikclot, and shove in as much gauze as I can and hope they don't die.

Of course I'm more interested in actual /k/ related aid but I would like some general knowledge too
>>
>>30523518
Fucking this.

I'm a flight paramedic & 68W2F with 6+ years of experience working 911 and in the ER.

Emergency Medicine is not something you can simply attend a class for and then hang the cert up on your wall and be good. It takes years of experience to become proficient and if you don't use it, you lose it. Fast.

This thread is full with play-pretend faggots who think their ebay IFAK makes them "pretty much medics brah".

>>30523254
>>30523502
>>30523518
>>30527094
>>30527450
>>30528249
are the only people who belong in this thread. If you don't work full time in a medical field GTFO.

Wilderness First Responders GTFO
CPR/First Aid GTFO
If you cited "CLS" as experience, kill yourself.
>>
>>30528640
So lets talk about medical stuff then.

Fuck fat people, amirite?
>>
File: 1439358795909.png (339 KB, 579x430) Image search: [Google]
1439358795909.png
339 KB, 579x430
>EMTs
>Rescue Divers
>Firefighters
Nice jobs right there, America truly is the land of the opportunities.

>Tfw you live in a yuropoor country
>>
>>30528640
I'm not certain about those identifiers, but how hard is SOCM gong into?
>>
I'm an EMT in Los Angeles County

Kill me
>>
>>30528778
EMT basic here. It's actually just a stepping stone into other medical professions or a firehouse. In my experience we're basically just package delivery with shittier pay and fancy lights. There is the occasional patient where I get to play with my fancy toys, but mostly an expensive taxi to overfilled hospitals for the drunk, elderly or morbidly obese.
>>
>>30528640
Full time 911 medic here.
>>
>>30528818
Is it worth it getting picked up by Care? If not, what would you recommend?

I wanna be an EMT and there is a course in Long Beach that's only like $900 for 7 weeks.
>>
>>30528818
Do you guys get fuckloads of crazy calls? LoudLabs News on youtube always makes it seem like it.
>>
>>30521810
I took combat life saver in the military so basically I can shove a wrag into a bullet whole in a slightly more confident way than a civilian would.
>>
>>30528818
Come to kern county bro. Be a real emt. :p
>>
>>30521810
Combat Lifesaver and lifeguard certification. I can probably stabilize a gunshot victim. I think I'm going to enroll in one of those Dark Angel classes I hear so much about to refresh my skills.

I've actually used my training, slim as it was, to save three people. Two were drowning kids while I wasn't on duty, and the other was full obstruction choking on a pizza crust.
>>
>>30528891
But can you stabilize a rectal bleed?
>>
>>30528918
Never ever forget your saves Anon. Good on you
>>
>>30528799
I'm not a SOCM so unfortunately I don't have a good answer for you...

It goes without saying that the school is super competitive.

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nsomi/Pages/SpecialOperationsCombatMedicCourse.aspx

Chat with a recruiter if you're serious. That would be a badass gig.
>>
>>30528919
Duh, same technique. fold over wound, pack in, fold over, pack in.
>>
>>30522332

Shit nigga. How many hours do you serve a week? That sounds pretty nice.

>>30528441

Damn son. If being an office slave doesn't work out or nobody fucking hires me still I'll have to think about it again.
>>
>>30528969
I'm doing this next time I get that call.

>You shoved how much gauze up her ass!?
>But why?
>>
>>30521810
Cpr and first aid
>>
>>30528987

I am going to trip for this thread incase you have questions.

Just know, that while recently the prospect of getting a job has been the best in years, it is still one of the hardest jobs to obtain.

To get to that level you are looking at 2-5 years of dragging your knuckles in a low wage private ambulance job and volunteering.

If you choose to enter a system that pays for Paramedic school you are looking at a few more years out as you have to test into it within your department. If you are looking at private paying through Paramedic school, most programs in the PNW are university based and offer 2 and 4 year degrees. (infact, to work in Oregon as a Paramedic you need a degree, 2 year minimum). The programs run 16-24 months and require regular (gen-ed and pre-medical type sciences) college classes as well for the degree portion.

Its not like you can just go and apply off the street anymore.

Departments that do still allow that (Seattle) for Firefighter positions only, prioritize those with prior experience and you are looking at probably 1 job for 10-20,000 apps if you have no experience.
>>
File: 1467575400523.png (29 KB, 467x214) Image search: [Google]
1467575400523.png
29 KB, 467x214
>>30528950
Good to go.

With the down time my recruiter said that Opt 40's, especially for medics are hard to come by. But I think he's just bullshitting.

Have you ever met any medics from Batt? Are the squared away mofo's like I hear? Would I be better just trying to get into 18D?
>>
>>30528878
Care or McCormick are the only good 911 companies I know of. Are you looking at ciemt? That's where I went and loved it
>>
>>30529159
Alright sweet. There is a company in Bakersfield that will comp Medic school as long as you work for them. I'm looking into that, but it's Bakersfield.

Yeah, ciemt looks sick. Did you do the 7 week or 4? Do I need to study a lot to get through it? My buddy said it was pretty hard, he didn't make it(Sub 70% or something)
>>
>>30528881
Lots of 5150s, pet/smart teams, methheads looking for a place to sleep. If you say you're hearing voices telling you to run into traffic it's 72 hours of free room and board
>>
>>30529198
>5150s
Whats that? We don't use ten codes here.
>>
>>30529222
5150 is somebody going loco
>>
registered EMT but not practicing
>>
>>30529061

I appreciate the tripping but I don't think I have any questions myself aside of one or two, though I am sure others might and I doubt /k/ will mind if you trip in this topic.

Though one I do have is if you're a particular type of paramedic, a higher grade one. Because my impression was the salaries were a hell of a lot lower - 39,000 to 40-44,000 for even 2-5 years experienced ones. Granted that's the median, but is there a particular term or title for the higher grade of paramedic you're talking about?

I don't mind starting off at the bottom and what I was looking at for an office job would have been around 30k to start so even these low end averages for entry level paramedic would match that. But I'm not sure what the trajectory for a paramedic would be as you get experience and skill.

Also the aformentioned need for experience pretty certainly discounts me, and I have to admit I'm not the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to sciences.

That being said while I am still trying to find a job more applicable to my skillset I could look into low end paramedic training/volunteering.
>>
>>30529222
72 hours of a person having pretty much all their rights revoked. They can restrain, use tranquilizers, etc, it's supposed to be used only when someone's a danger to themselves or others, but since pet teams get paid pet hold issued it gets abused
>>
>>30523561
Fucks sake most people don't even know the difference between a bandage and a dressing.
>>
>>30529197

Do your research on Paramedic schools and EMS systems.

I am a PNW guy, but I worked in California for a while. Without starting the Medic-One system is a meme shit flinging (as I have never worked in King County personally so I will not say they are the best), the type of Paramedic program and the type of EMS system in terms of difficulty and exclusiveness directly correlates to the longevity of employees and system workers a well as compensation and overall happiness.

I work in a system with what I would consider some of the smartest and best pre-hospital providers. We have folks who have been with our agency for 30 years already. All the folks hired in the last 5 years have at a minimum a bachelors degree or associates in EMS/Paramedicine/Public Health/Other related degrees. We have an excellent working relationship with our MPD who has been in the role for over 35 years since the beginning and is just now retiring and handing the reigns to his second up (who has been in the role for 10 years). All of these things make for a career rather than a job. The training and education we receive is top notch and we are given the tools to actually do our job.

Why I could never go back to California is the state EMS model that dumbs down EMS to the lowest common denominator. How Paramedics cannot use paralytics to intubate in the field, perform surgical airways, central lines and chest tubes or even simple decompression in some system and pericardiocentesis, run blood product, run antibiotics, and a whole host of other ALS pre-hospital skills is beyond me.

A Paramedic in california is as the saying goes "an ambulance driver"
>>
>>30529197
I've heard of that medic deal, seems pretty good if you're sticking around la. I did the 7 week course and it actually was pretty tough, we started with around 50 people and only 23 completed. Matt and his dog are the best tho, definitely recommend it
>>
I am proficient in band-aids and pills.

I took two weeks of an EMT class, thinking I was going to finish it. Soon discovered I couldn't devote the time to it (ambulance drills and such after school) while maintaining a job.

I've learned a little hands-on first aid stuff from my friends who have actual EMT certificates or better. I'm pretty sure I can fix up anything that's cut, broken or bleeding. Gunshots and more in-depth things are beyond me.

I do have one thing on my side. I have these two books from EMT class. I should be reading them, but to be honest I forget I have them.
>>
>>30529276

There is no distinguishing "name" or title to what I am versus what the guy who makes minimum wage is. We are both NREMT-Paramedics who attended a CoAEMSP approved program.

There is the minimum and the maximum. There is "zero to hero" which is from street clothes to Paramedic in 6 months (these programs are huge in the South and California) and on the flip side you have university programs that require minimum patient contacts or years of work experience as an EMT prior to being admitted into the program.

All Paramedics follow the basic model, but any program or school worth its salt goes above and beyond.

This is just based on prior memory from nearly a decade ago when I went to school, so the numbers may have changed, but this is the difference between the minimum back then and what my program was and why my EMS system discriminates and has an approved school list. If you did not attend an approved school you cannot work in my system and therefore cannot work in a system that pays well and treats us what we are worth.

Back in the day the basic NREMT-Paramedic program was from memory
>400-700 hours classroom
>100-200 hours hospital
>400-500 hours clinical internship on a transport unit, ground of air.
I don't think there was any minimum for skill sets other than IV starts (successful) and patient contacts and categories of patients.

My program was
>1300 hours in the classroom
>500 hours in the hospital specialty rotations
>2000 hours in the field
I know for sure, because I attended my program that we had to have.
>200 successful IV sticks and or a percentage (so more so if you had to get your scores up)
>40 live human intubations
>10 vaginal deliveries
>500 patient contacts minimum between hospital and field.

So while the saying goes, a Paramedic that gets a C average is still a Paramedic (or doctor or lawyer) the school and system you train in directly correlates to your job prospects.
>>
>>30529444

Continued-

So make sure you do your research and pick the right program and a program that will provide you the training, tools and resume that will help you down the road.

Just remember, what it all comes down to at the school level is the foundation. I know of people who skipped the long and hard program to go the easy route. In the end, they are the ones that suffer and the folks they treat suffer. I couldn't imagine doing my job and making life/death decisions with less formal education and training. When push comes to shove, you are going to want to know you attended the best and sat in class and trained the longest and hardest when you are put in a situation where you are leading a scene and responsible for the lives of multiple patients and the safety and effectiveness of a team of firefghters and EMTs who are looking up at you expecting you to make the call all while having to intelligently communicate with other healthcare providers.

Your reputation in this business is made or broken on one single call and the higher you go the smaller the world becomes. It is crazy how small the world becomes as you start attending conferences, lectures and even teaching and training.

Also I apologize for a few grammar/spelling errors in this and the last post. On a mobile device. Just realized looking over the other post there were a few mistakes.
>>
>>30529444
>>30529522

Thanks for the clarification. No need to apologize at all for grammar/spelling mistakes man I appreciate you putting this information out there and I hope it will benefit someone else if I don't end up going down that route. I think I'll be best served looking into getting my feet wet in the 'kiddie pool' and starting off volunteer paramedic or something akin to that zero to hero business to see if I can cut out for it before I begin to look into the more extensive and expensive programs.
>>
>>30529571
EMS fag here, planning to be a paramedic so I definitely appreciate all this info too.
>>
>>30529571

So you need to understand. You will be starting off an an EMT.

EMT is roughly 200 hours and mostly classroom wit ha day or two of patient contact in the hospital or on an ambulance. That is what is required to volunteer assuming we are talking about the USA system.

You cannot be a "volunteer" Paramedic per-say as it is a professional credential which in most systems and states requires far too much effort to maintain to just have it on the side. Like this poster insinuated- >>30528640

At the advanced level it is not "I took a course and obtained a badge". Medicine is a living breathing artform and requires you practice daily.

You get your EMT basic first, work and volunteer a little bit and then decide if you want to make it a career and go to Paramedic school or join an agency that puts you through Paramedic school. At that point you shop around and check to see whats out there and obviously my recommendation is do your research and pick the best.

>EMT basic- 200 hours
>EMT- intermediate or airway or IV tech (depends on system and state and other factors) additional 100-500 hours
>EMT-Paramedic or just Paramedic in most systems requires you have been an EMT prior to becoming a Paramedic (unless you do zero to hero in a location that allows it) Then we talk about the hours I listed before and its usually 16-24 months before you are on the ambulance working.

After that there are system programs, additional "merit badge" programs and technical courses and registries and associations you can join that open up the field even more. Most of the registries and associations will have requirements such as experience, years in the field, additional 100-500 hour programs and testing. These include flight medic, CCT medic, Community Paramedic, ect. At that level though there is no universal or standardized program so you obviously would take a course just to better yourself or if your job recognized or required it.
>>
>>30528532
Thats dependent on city.

Us here in district 6 in OK county are 90% volunteer and make jack shit, because we dont have the same funds as coasties.
>>
>>30521810
EMT-B currently halfway through first semester of year long paramedic program, 3 months of which are preceptor based (Read: Internship)
>>
>>30529715

If you have been following anything I have written that is my point. PNW is the highest paid for cost of living ratio. There are other places that pay big bucks but its just COLA.
>>
>>30529700
>200
Fl is 400.
>day or two of patient contact in the hospital or on an ambulance.
Had 4, 12 hour shifts with the Miami-Dade Fire Dept on a rescue.
Also 4 8 hour ER rotations doing fuckall
>EKG hook up, PT assessment, etc.
>usually 16-24 months before you are on the ambulance working.

Nah AMA has paramedic programs lasting 9 months long, but you won't know as much as the 1 year programs. Anything longer is wasting your time.

>CCT medic
>merit badge

Nah this is shit too. CCT is a field within paramedic with unique job opportunities. You can be CCT all you want, but it's a legit job position that makes money. If you arent going Fire/Medic, CCT makes the most through my company (AMR kek)
>>
>>30529715

Also you assume I know what OK county is or where district 6 is. Sorry bud, don't know.
>>
>>30521810
About 5 courses of combat life saver training while I was inna infuntree. All the same course but the repetitive nature drilled the steps into my head. Probably the best course was when a real combat medic (had treated hundreds of casualties) gave us a course with the teachings and his own twists. Like how a blood sweep to find the wound location is usually a waste of precious seconds since by that point blood will be fucking everywhere.

Outside of that just some basic guides and online tutorials. Should learn to properly stitch wounds with a steak sometime.
>>
>>30529760

Yea every program will differ, I stated the minimum the last I checked (its been a while).

I am glad your EMT program taught you some basic skills most don't. Its nice when EMTs show up for work knowing how to put on a 4 lead or even 12 lead and have had some experience prior.

I like how you are so opinionated on "wasting time". I would love to see how your system works, as you may be right for that particular system, but that is not true of all systems.

What are you going on about regarding CCT and Merit badges. You say its shit than say its good? If you read my post you will realize I merely mentioned it for informational purposes. Merit badge programs are add ons and review. Its all stuff you should have been taught in Paramedic school and just goes above and beyond. I would only do a merit badge or just an association or registry if I was paid to do so (work made me), It helped my chances at work or if I had free time and wanted to better myself.

I still don't understand what you were trying to say in regards to them, as its also one of those things that is system specific, so really it means very little unless we discuss a certain system.

In Washington CCT is not recognized. A Paramedic is a Paramedic and doesn't need a merit badge to run antibiotics or medication not carried on the ambulance.
>>
>>30529814
Should also mention I was lucky enough to steal a bunch of tourniquets and combat gauze and other various supplies when I left. Probably my best haul of all the stuff I got to leave with.
>>
File: CCTDaily.jpg (38 KB, 920x517) Image search: [Google]
CCTDaily.jpg
38 KB, 920x517
>>30529830
Being apart of the CCT truck for AMR I can explicitly say that a base level paramedic should not work as the attendant for a CCT call. Vents, Pumps, and all sorts of advanced paramedic skills are used on a constant basis. The attending CCT I work with is actually a resp. tech/therapist (Name changes on location) at a hospital. I don't know a single paramedic, firefighters included, that could pull off half of the job he does by himself. CCT is a field all in it's own. Pic related is what we move on the daily. Not shown is the vent that would be connected to that blue tubing, or the pump that could be moving 3-4 different drugs all with different flow rates
>>
>>30529839
Kleptomaniacs are rampant in my field. Every party I go to with my paramedic friends are filled with people running 18g caths and tons of saline bags just sitting on tables waiting to be used. Literally ALL of that shit is taken off the trucks/hospital carts
>>
>>30529700

Alrighty, I got it now. Appreciate the clarification, EMT is what I'll look into first then.
>>
>>30529888
This pt however is orally intubated; we typically move PTs that have trach intubation established
>>
>>30529907
Heard plenty of stories like that myself. Funny how it carries over to the paramedic world. I've never seen so much random shit get stolen as in the military. Even had a, "nigga dun stole my bike" story happen with somebody in my old unit.
>>
>>30529957
It's just a thing. Every shift I get an ALS truck, I take a hand full of everything - Caths, saline flushes, saline locks, IV tubing, BLS booboo kit shit - it just is what it is.
>>
>>30529888

Once again, I refer to my post regarding picking a good Paramedic school and working in a system that has high expectations. It is why I have a bachelors degree in Paramedicine and why in many systems in the PNW only certain schools are accepted. We carry all of that on our 911 units, because we do not recognize CCT. It is just a different way of thinking about it and a different system all together. It is why we are not paid minimum wage and why we have an expanded scope. Protocols and medications can turn into a dick waving contest, but to put it in perspective, our day to day 911 operations carry more meds than most systems will carry even on CCT units (that obviously pick up meds on site)

I actually worked CCT in a state and system that did recognize that particular level of certification. I can still do more and have more on my regular 911 unit where I am now than I ever did on the CCT unit.

>Ketamine
>lidocaine, 100 mg and 2 gms (Xylocaine)
>Lorazepam (Ativan)
>Magnesium Sulfate
>midazolam (versed)
>morphine sulfate
>naloxone (Narcan)
>nitroglycerin (Nitro Stat)
>nitrous oxide (Nitronox)
>oxytocin (Pitocin)
>Plavix
>reglan
>Rocuronium Bromide
>sodium bicarbonate
>succinylcholine (Anectine)
>thiamin (Betalin)
>vasopressin
>vecuronium bromide
>zofran
>Acetaminophen
>activated charcoal
>adenosine (Adenocard)
>albuterol (Proventil)
>amiodarone HCl (Cordarone)
>atropine sulfate
>calcium chloride
>D50 & D25
>Diazepam
>Diltiazem
>diphenhydramine (Benadryl) >dopamine(Intropin)
>epinephrine 1:1,000 >epinephrine,1:10,000
>etomidate
>fentanyl
>furosemide
>glucagon
>haldol
>Heparin
>Hydromorphone (Dilaudid)
>Solumedrol

CONTINUED
>>
>>30529991
You arent in the Northwest Region EMS system are you? Of WA?
>>
>>30529977
Half the stuff would just hit an expiration date anyway. Amazing how many resources just get thrown away half the time and yet half the other gear is so ancient it still runs Windows XP or is dated to the Vietnam War era.
>>
>>30529991
Nah we carry around all of that in our ALS trucks - including narcs. Every ALS truck signs out narcs and signs them in at the end of their shift. However, CCT takes a pump and vent on the truck every shift.
>>
>>30529991

The whole point is to think broad and realize to the posters that are interested in EMS to do your research. There are things I would have done different knowing what I know now in terms of how I got into this career and where I plan on going.

The biggest mistake you can make in this field is thinking there is one way of doing something and thinking your system is the only system.

Having worked in a few over a few states for privates, hospitals, fire-departments, on ambulances, snowmobiles and aircraft. I can comfortably say someone, somewhere out there is better trained, knows more and is doing a better job than I am and has refined their operations in such a way that we have not.

Its is why attending conferences and traveling is important to share ideas.
>>
>>30530004
Lmao yeah expiration of saline is a problem, but most else should hold an excellent shelf life when stored correctly
>>
>>30530029
>>30530004
>>30529977
>>30529957
>>30529907
Wait, isn't that shit inventoried?

Is it really that easy to grab extra med gear?
>>
File: 1464711192885.jpg (19 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1464711192885.jpg
19 KB, 500x333
I'm a CNA. Hope y'all niggas got diapers in your BoBs so I can change the shit out of you (literally)
>>
>>30530017

and we carry vents, pumps and I-stats on 911 units. Its not a dick waving contest. This whole response started when you said a Paramedic out of school cannot and should not perform at the CCT level. To which I wanted to let you know in various parts of the country CCT is not recognized and Paramedics are trained initially to a higher level as a result. There is no need for CCT when entry level Paramedics are walking out of a 16-24 month program with a degree and know how to operate at that level.

So to all the guys and gals who are still interested in going to school and working in the field. Do you research, pick the system that has what you want and can turn into a career rather than just a job.
>>
>>30530019

>Its is why attending conferences and traveling is important to share ideas.

Which is why being in Miami is one of the best things ever for EMS. We're on the cutting edge, and always have been, since the start of Paramedics. Yeah, Oregon can try and say they were at the beginning, but Miami started it all.
>>
>>30530039
It's inventoried in the sense of keeping track of when to order more.
>>
>>30530039
Lol inventory? kek nope.
"Need more flushes and tubing; 15drop"
"Sure here"
*Gives a handful of each*
>>
>>30530049

You imply I even work in Oregon or said Oregon started Paramedicine.

Enjoy Miami, at this point I will not engage as you have to be a troll and if not you are so fucking thick I am afraid I will hurt my brain even trying to discuss these issues with you.
>>
>>30530039
In the Army, my experience is that you have your SI (Sensitive Items) like your weapon, optics, gear, etc that the military keeps track of. Shit you have to turn in when you get out or pay full price for and your gear best look better than brand new when you turn it in.

Stuff like our IFAK which contains tourniquets, combat gauze, and other random bullshit isn't tracked. Pretty much anything that the military expects to get back as gear they can pass on is important to return but a lot of perishable items like medical supplies are less tracked. Think about the US Army's size. Can't track all of it.
>>
>>30529998

No, but I have close friends at Skagit Medic-One.
>>
>>30530048
I've seen up to 6 month EMT-B courses; They're still just EMT-Bs. An NREMT-P who took 9 months to get it is still an NREMT-P who took 24 months. I wouldn't trust either with a pump, vent, or crit pt without more years of field work, but they're still nationally cert'ed
>>
>>30530088

So you imply you cannot learn or do more hours in 24 months than 9 months? please reference this post which pretty much explains why in the PNW (across most systems and most our states) Paramedics have what would be considered an expanded scope by national standards.

You also fail to realize many systems are tiered and dual medic and have 1-2 year probation periods. Something I did not see working else where in the country but is pretty common in most systems in the PNW I have either worked in or know about.

Once again, think big.
>>30529444
>>
EMT-B
>>
>>30523625
WFR is great, and the instructors I had were pretty good too
>>
EMT here, over half way through medic school
>>
>>30523605
They give grandma a bath and feed her.
>>
What would you career medics recommend to someone interested in doing a bit of volunteer work? I'm going to do a 40 hour Emergency First Response course (it's the country's equivalent to an Emergency Medical Responder, one step below EMT), thinking of pairing that with some event volunteering with the local ambulance organisation. I still have my office day job which I'm not planning on leaving, this is just something on the side and also a possible backup source of bread if my day job goes tits up, I'd like to have the ability to take the EMT course and maybe go into that.
>>
>>30528987
>>30522332
I'm on long island (fucking new York). 99% of all firefighters are volunteers and most departments have a large group of volly EMTs with a handful of paid paramedics in house on rotation. I respond to what I want to (which everything) and I just have to maintain a certain percentage of calls annually to be considered active. On top of that, you can purchase shit for use within the department and write it off on your taxes like you own a business as long as you're not retarded and try to write off something massive. Pretty good set up and we advertise the department as a stepping stone to other careers. You learn heavy equipment operations, hazmat, structural engineering an extent and medicine. Shits cash
>>
>>30523502
Where you stationed at friend? I'm going to blc sometime this fall
>>
File: 1439073691390.png (12 KB, 390x470) Image search: [Google]
1439073691390.png
12 KB, 390x470
>>30522470
>>
>>30534307
>>30522470

You da real MVP
>>
File: image.png (80 KB, 1982x1133) Image search: [Google]
image.png
80 KB, 1982x1133
>>30521810
ATLS
ACLS
BLS
Certified ^, also spent a whole year as an intern at a military hospital.
Thread replies: 146
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.