[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Picking up my first home defense shotgun, a Mossberg 590A1, 9
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: Mossberg 590a1.jpg (64 KB, 835x201) Image search: [Google]
Mossberg 590a1.jpg
64 KB, 835x201
Picking up my first home defense shotgun, a Mossberg 590A1, 9 Shot with XS Ghost Ring Sights. What items should I get for it that would make it suitable for home defense, but not tacti-cool. Stuff like shell slings, side-saddles, and a weaponlight.

My question is, /k/ommandos, what brands should I buy from, as I am I first time owner?

>pic very-much related
>>
>>30502340
>what items should I get for it that would make it suitable for home defense, but not tacti-cool.
Get a bayonet and a bunch of buckshot. Maybe a light if you're paranoid.
>>
>>30502340
Surefire, while sometimes pricey, makes very good, durable shit.

Mesa tactical makes pretty decent stuff from what I've heard.

Lots of guys also don't seem to mind glueing a patch of Velcro to the side of the receiver and using Velcro backed shell carriers. The advantage is its lighter, if the shell holders start to get loose you just buy more.

Maybe not as durable as aluminum but a better SUPER long term solution as they're far easier to replace. Also nice for three gun and the like and carrying more shells. Feed the gun from your side saddle, and when you run out slap another one on. No weird ass belts or anything.

Also despite what others might say you NEED a wml mounted to your gun if its for defense. After all one of the safety rules is to KNOW your target and what's beyond it. Far too many innocents killed by people who didn't identify their target.
>>
dont buy a shell sling they are piles of shit that make everything unbalanced
>>
File: fXFZSXH.jpg (509 KB, 1140x474) Image search: [Google]
fXFZSXH.jpg
509 KB, 1140x474
>>30502340
>590A1
Good choice! Very nice scattergat!

>>30502391
Bayonets take some training to get good at, but on the other hand, they're really fucking scary to have jabbed at you by even a retard.

Buckshot is good, but there exist alternatives.

>>30502581
This desu, reloading from a sling is really awkward, at the most, having shell on your sling should be just an extra place to store shells, not to be reloaded from.

Get a proper shell bandolier, OP.
>>
File: IMG_20160703_212926.jpg (298 KB, 722x1274) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160703_212926.jpg
298 KB, 722x1274
why not tacti-cool?
>>
>>30502340
Leave it alone, don't fag it up with a bunch of bullshit. The vast majority of accessories only serve one good purpose and that's separating idiots from their money. Side saddles and shell slings just add unnecessary weight and bulkiness.
>>
Mesa Tac shell holder
>>
>>30502340
I have the mesa tactical side saddle and a surefire g2x flashlight in an elzetta mount.

I would suggest getting a magpul stock, as the original stock is very long.
>>
Buy a Magpul stock. Seriously. It doesn't matter if it's ugly, it's hands down the best stock on the market for giving an appropriate LOP with good control over the gun.

Attach a Surefire or Streamlight pistol light (X300 or TLR1) to the fore-end on either the left or right side depending on which hand you're using. Stick some rail covers on the bottom part of that fore-end so you're not hanging on to a cheese grater.

I personally wouldn't weigh it down with a side saddle. You've already got 8 rounds in the tube.
>>
File: simulator_artillery_m115a2.jpg (23 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
simulator_artillery_m115a2.jpg
23 KB, 360x240
>>30502340
>what brands should I buy from
Not Mossberg. I've send and had firing pins break on multiple Mossbergs. But that's just like my years of experience man.

>Side saddle
>Shell sling
>Light
>>
>>30502340

You need a flashlight. Das it mane.

All that extra shit will only make operating your gun in a high stress environment difficult.

>guy invades your house
>you stumble turning on your flashlight and red dot sight while you struggle to find your double aught buck in your side saddle, and you finally load up the tube, and you forget to rack da pump

A loaded gun with iron sights is perfectly fine for a home defense situation.

Also if you have a lot of shit on your gat the prosecution might say that you own the gun specifically to murder somebody
>>
I hate 2 point slings on a pump gun. I could never get one that didn't get in the way. I use a single point on my HD 870. I use a Fenix light w pressure pad. It is weapon mounted approved and hasn't failed with over 500 full power buckshot rds through it. I used a Magpul stock to shorten LOP.
>>
>>30504564

>sees arty sim
>involuntarily begins to sweat
>>
>>30504978
I got my ass kicked by one of my drill sergeants because of one of those.

We were on final FTX for 37F AIT. Around three days in, maybe 8 hours of sleep in those three days, finally get to bunk out. I'm dead to the world on my cot, drill sets an arty sim off right outside of the rfab about three feet from where my head was. Slept straight through the whistling. It goes, off, I almost shit myself, rage out of the bunk and see drill laughing. I got two good blows in before I got knocked senseless and then choked out.
>>
>>30502340
How much would this cost? I'm also looking at an HD shotgun
>>
>>30506940
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/46999/mossberg_51663_590a1_12ga_9sh_grs_parkerized
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
Mossberg is he only option for pump guns Imo. Fuck remington

Pic of muh scatter gun
>>
All you need is a light.
Really that's it.
Don't weigh it down or make it look cheesy with any kind of she'll holding bullshit.
9 +1 shells of buckshot is more than enough.
>>
>>30502340
Of these you speak of i only have experience with a relativly new 870 express supermag in 12g.
It failed to extract alot of different brands of shells when i got it. After alot of fixing and reading i found the problem to be the extractor, and changed it to a 870-non-mim Police extractor. after this i have shot alot of diferent brands and shot probably over 2000 shells trough it without a single maulfunction in any way.
If i had to buy a new pump today, i would look for a older used 870(wingmaster), a new police or a new mossberg.
Also the new rem870's rust like crazy... so i have to oil it alot. otherwise im really happy with it after i fixed it, and ive taken some deer and alot of geese with it.
>>
I have almost the same shotgun, it's just the 6-round version. I have basically the same question, but if can piggyback on this, let me ask:

How do you store the shotgun in your house? At my CHL class, I was told that it's against the law in Texas to store a firearm out in the open while loaded or rounds in the magazine if kids could have access, which is true in my case. An article at Licky Gunner said the best way is to store it like cops do- no shell in the chamber, -1 capacity shells in the tube, safety off. So I have it like that in the safe, in the master closet.
>>
while on the topic of shotguns, I am wondering whether to get a 590 or a 500.

The 590 is appealing because it has higher capacity, but the 500 is easier to switch barrels (I'd be using it for HD and hunting, whereas I'd have to buy a second shotgun if I had the 590)

Should I really worry about the difference in capacity or would the basic 500 be sufficient for home defense?
>>
>>30511872
which 500 you talking about the standard 5+1 or the 7+1 20inch? you cant really swap barrels on the 20 since theres nothing to swap to. if you practice reloads it doesnt matter. you get the 590 since you want the best hd pump shotgun. then you realize its overspecialized and it lives in your closet until you replace it with an ar.
>>
>>30511935
I was looking at the standard 5+1 field/ security combo with the 18.5 and 28 inch barrels. Honestly if 6 rounds of 12 gauge doesn't stop any threat I'm probably fucked anyways.
>>
>>30507027
>dat fixed magazine capacity
>dat ultra wobbly pump

Remingtons are heavier, but they sure feel better.

Let's be honest though, both designs are outdated.
>>
>>30512018
Box mags suck for shotguns due to shell compression. What tube magazine pump shotgun would be better?
>>
>>30511995
if you practice max capacity doesnt matter since you can top off the gun. one downside of the 590 is its front heavy with the heavy barrel and rounds out there. you dont get that problem with the 5+1.
>>
>>30502340
>What items should I get for it that would make it suitable for home defense, but not tacti-cool. Stuff like shell slings, side-saddles, and a weaponlight.

Your weapon is already pretty tacticool and the only thing you listed that wouldn't make it more so is the light. That being said, you picked a nice gun. Good job OP.
>>
>>30502340
I would swap out the stock and slide for wood furniture and put the heat shield back on but that's just me.

>Multigenerational master race.
>Red dots, flashlights and tasteful wood furniture everywhere.
>>
New mossberg 590A1 fag here

Tried to shoulder the fully loaded for a while but realized I was only able to shoulder it for only 5 measly minutes

Also realized my pump end arm needs to be fully extended when in firing position and its not too comfortable when doing so

Should I just man the fuck up and get buff to shoulder the weapon for more than 5 minutes? or should I somehow reduce the length of the gun to accommodate me?

I'm not that short either only 5'11
>>
>>30512180
>Should I just man the fuck up and get buff to shoulder the weapon for more than 5 minutes?

You should go out and practice in order to build those muscles. Nothing prepares you for holding up a gun like holding up a gun.

>Also realized my pump end arm needs to be fully extended when in firing position

Are you putting your hand on the very front of the forend or what?
>>
>>30512180
Holding it ready and aiming it for 5 minutes straight? When you're actually using it you move it a lot. I could carry mine for hours in the field and run around 200 shells through it and not have any issues with muscle fatigue. I wouldn't worry about it because if you use it you will get used to the weight.
>>
>>30512180
get a youthstock or cut down your stock. if you want a rough estimate of how a youth stock feels remove the rubber but pad and shoulder it. the change in lop is noticible if the guns a bad fit.
>>
>>30512237
nah mate I'm holding it at the very end of the pump towards my body actually

>>30512250
I wish I got the money and place to be able to run and gun with my shotgun but MD sucks at ranges

>>30512341
lol I once tried to pry off the rubber pad but I was scared I'd tear it off and break it

Looking at the youthstock though sounds pretty good
>>
>>30512647
>nah mate I'm holding it at the very end of the pump towards my body actually

That's odd, I'm the same height as you and I don't have the same issue. Have you tried standing so the shoulder that the gun rests on is a little further back?
>>
>>30512911
yup

dunno man probably got some short arms lol
>>
>>30512976
Must be, sorry I can't help you further.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.