[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A Serious Question to LEO's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: sheriff-w-bkg.jpg (54 KB, 258x320) Image search: [Google]
sheriff-w-bkg.jpg
54 KB, 258x320
Hey /k/, need some advice here and I need to be serious. I know we've got a few cops here and I'd like to ask them a few questions.

I'm going to college in the end of August for an AA degree to start and then go from there. I've been debating on whether or not to go to school to become an LEO.

It's something that I've wanted to do since I was a kid, I wanted to either join the military or become a cop. I've decided against the military but the cop option is still open. So here's my questions;

1. Is it worth it anymore? I respect my local cops and I've never heard of shady shit happening here, or big shit like the freddy gray case. But with the public attitude towards cops I'm not aware if there's any more risk (I can't really articulate what I mean) than there normally would be.

2. The main reason I've decided against joining the military is because I don't want to ruin my body, everyone I know who's a vet says that their knees and backs are fucked up because of stuff they did in the military. Army, Air Force, Navy and Coast Guard vets that I've talked to agree that their bodies are fucked from their service. Is there anything that would mess up my knees and back in law enforcement careers?

3. What's the pay? I know this is a touchy subject for some, but I need to know what I'm getting into. To clear this up, I'm not going to do it for the money, I'd do it to help people.

4. Let me put on my tinfoil hat for a second. One big concern of mine is martial law, civil war ect, would I be forced to fight against the anti government forces? What do you hear and know as a cop about what would happen and who would do that or resign or whatever?

5. What's the education like? What's it involve? Again, I need to know what I'm going to be getting into.

These are my main questions about the field, I need to know while there's hopefully still a chance to change my classes or at the latest next semester.
>>
Been a cop for 10 years.

1. No
2. Average lifespan of a cop is 56 years.
3. Depends on the department. Expect 36k-54k base salary.
4. Shit goes down, you follow policy and procedures or at best you get fired, at worst you get arrested.
5. It's not hard by any means. I saw only about 3% of the class fail out.
>>
>>30501293
Thanks.

I should tell you that I live in Polk county FL, I don't know if that makes a difference for anything.

What education would be required? Can I go into law enforcement right out of college? Or do i need to go to some training program? Also, what about it isn't worth it anymore?

What I meant by
>But with the public attitude towards cops I'm not aware if there's any more risk (I can't really articulate what I mean) than there normally would be.
is would I be at more risk to get shot by a dindu in a regular traffic stop that I would if all this shit wasn't happening?
>>
>>30501227
First, tell us you're not going to a for profit career school. Second, get the Bachelor's degree. If you live in a state where few departments will hire you without certification, pay for yourself to go to an academy. You'll easily get a part time job and will have much better chances of getting a full time job.

1. Yes, but, that answer depends on where you're working
2. Yes, a 12+ pound duty belt and riding in a car for 8-12 hours per day
3. This depends on where you work and it's relative to the cost of living in that area.
4. Take off the tinfoil hat
5. Are you talking about the academy? It's geared so a public school grad should have no trouble. Each state is different, but, in my state depending on the certification it can be 200 hours to 1500 hours of classroom training before certification.
>>
>>30501227
>2. The main reason I've decided against joining the military is because I don't want to ruin my body, everyone I know who's a vet says that their knees and backs are fucked up because of stuff they did in the military. Army, Air Force, Navy and Coast Guard vets that I've talked to agree that their bodies are fucked from their service. Is there anything that would mess up my knees and back in law enforcement careers?
That's literally any and every job that's remotely physical. It's worse in some positions in the military than others (a dental tech isn't going to deal with anything near what dismounted "light" infantry will, for example) and there are plenty of military jobs where you don't do all that much that's physical. But even in the civilian world, trades like plumbers, electricians, welders, etc. all fuck you up in some way. Hell, riding a desk can fuck you up.
>>
>>30501468
I've got no idea how I would find out about if it's a career school or not, it's a community college. Is a 12 pound belt and riding in a car all day really going to ruin me though? All of the cops I've seen get around just fine.
I live in Polk County, so I would assume somewhere around there, it depends on what part of town, most of it's nice but some is shitty. And the fourth question is a legitimate concern, but other anon answered it for me.

Yeah I guess I was talking about the academy. I'm a highschool grad in FL. The course hours stated are the same as other degrees (36 general education credit hours for the BS and 24 for the AS)
>>
>>30501227

>go to school to become a LEO
Does your state absolutely require a degree in CJ/LE to become POST certified? If not go to school for a real job and then apply to several departments. I keep saying it to new applicants but stop applying to just one LE department, you're setting yourself up for failure. If you don't have military experience you better have at least a bachelor's and bring a lot of diversity to the table such as being bilingual. Out of the 30~ people in my academy class they were all veterans, master's degrees, and 4-5 with bachelor's. No associates.

1. That depends on your mentality. It's a lot more challenging to be a LEO, the scrutiny is severe. You either have it in you to handle that or you don't.

>The main reason I've decided against joining the military is because I don't want to ruin my body
KEK, expect lower back problems from carrying a bunch of shit on your belt all shift. Expect stress related health problems such as high blood pressure, ulcers, heart attack, and stroke.

3. Just ask the departments you want to apply to. Base salary isn't a secret.

4. The fact this is a big concern for you is retarded. A more realistic concern is, "What should I do if I know a fellow officer has committed a crime (major such as domestic violence or DUI and minor such as shoplifting). The answer to which is you report it to your superior and let them and IA sort it out.

5. Just ask the departments you apply to. It's not a secret.
>>
>>30501568
If it's a community college then it's far better than a DeVry or some diploma mill like that.

Yes, duty belts suck and they place pressure in places you really don't want it, like the spine. This is why the external vests are getting so popular.

I think this will tell you what FL academy programs are like.
http://www.laketech.org/ips/law-enforcement/law-enforcement-officer-basic

Most academy programs in PA are just around $4k, so at just over $2k you're getting a deal.
>>
>>30501405
I'm in Pinellas. I went through St. Petersburg College at SEPSI. Received an AA degree while goi g through the academy. Got my degree and state certification all in one. Then got hired.

Its not worth it to me anymore because my hearts not in it. I'm a field training officer and working with rookies is about the only thing I enjoy any more.

You're more likely to be shot at a domestic dispute or dealing with a crazy person. But make no mistake, that uniform is a big target on you no matter where you are.
>>
>>30501227
1, Not really but it's too late for me to be a brain surgeon. I personally recommend going firefighter. They get paid to sleep and everyone like them for getting paid to sleep.

2. As said before, depends ont he job. I think "what a moron" for nbot taking the offered "dockside crane operator" offered to me at MEPS vs Military Police. Seriously, Army dockside crane operator. I'd be making fucking bank now.

3. mid 30's to high 50's as a patrol officer, depending on where you are at.

4. Take off the tinfoil. I'm in the south. Most of my fellow cops I know are various strains of libertarian/tea party/evangelical christian etc. Never give an order that you know won't be obeyed.

5. Here it's 640 hours of continuing ed at the local community college, taught by LE instructors, not college instructors.
>>
Ahh good old Grady Judd, love that guy.
>>
>>30501972
>Reporter: Why did you shoot the suspect 68 times?
>Judd: That's all the ammo we had.
Fucking based. Judd for Governor would be amazing for our state.
>>
http://www.snopes.com/crime/cops/judd.asp

Justified! I'm not a cop but look this guy showed he was ruthless and willing to kill. This is the sort of person I got a CCP for.

Honestly if you think you can keep it together and not go postal we need cops in Polk county.
Plan on a second career. And yea night patrol in Mulberry woo! exciting but someone has to do it.
>>
>>30501227
>>30501405
Do you not have google? Holy fuck. You could answer more than half this shit with that.
>>30501923
This. Get paid to go to Publix on the clock and show off in front of the MILFs then back to the station for Xbox and maybe a nap unless some old fuck falls down and his LifeAlert goes off. Not a bad gig.
>>
>>30501405
>I should tell you that I live in Polk county FL

What city, senpai?
>>
>>30501227
>AA degree

That'd better not mean associate of arts. Associate degrees are useless enough when they're in an actual science.
>>
>>30503508
No I use Bing.
>>
>>30504089
Well then use that dipshit
>>
>>30501227
1. Maybe in a white picket fence upper middle class suburb comfortably insulated from the real world.
2. Gun belts take a toll over time, but if you're smart about distributing your equipment weight, it's no issue. You can, obviously, get hurt in the line of duty too.
3. Depends on where you work. Most burbs pay well, most cities don't.
4. You take an oath to defend the country against all enemies foreign and domestic, so this can go either way. I don't see much sympathy for statists among my co-workers, if it makes you feel better, but on the flip side, you have fiascos like NOPD gun confiscation during Katrina and etc
5. There's some good training, but not enough. There's a lot of politically correct nonsense nowadays. For every time you go get hands on training in tactics, simunitions, or driving, you'll get 5 powerpoint presentations on gender identity and subconscious racism.
>>
File: 1461763275658.jpg (194 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1461763275658.jpg
194 KB, 768x1024
>>30504131
Someone is upset, take a breather, friendo.
>>
>>30504208
nah just tired seeing retards like you asking the same shit when you could find out on your own. But good look with your LEO dreams, with an AA that will happen soon lol, hope to see you get Kyle Dinkheller'd soon.
>>
>>30503558
Lakeland

>>30503896
It does, I figured I'd just get SOMETHING under my belt, and then decide from there what to do.

>>30504149
Some areas are shitty, some are really nice. It's mostly a crap shoot, a block could mean locking the doors vs leaving them unlocked.
I've read that some cops use vests, would I be able to? Also I read that some people do ride alongs and others never mention it, does this depend on occupation or do they just not mention it?

Also if anyone can tell me what's issued, i.e. gun, armor, uniform and what not as I've heard it either way.

>>30504237
You too.
>>
>>30501405
You're going to Polk State right? You're going to pass your state boards right? Then apply at Lakeland or one of the other city agencies unless you know someone at PCS
>>
>>30504364
Hey, we're in the same city.

Do you have anything you want to trade or sell?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.