[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Black Powder Guns Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
If I found the same caliber as the black powder gun is it possible to use normal ammo with or the barrel will blow off?

Is it possible to reload ammo with black powder with and correct ogive for a black powder revolver ?

Btw is to possible to reload .223 ammo for a AR-15 with black powder?

I agree that black powder revolver are a crap to reload but why people don't use more of this guns? Since they are barely free to get even in most of European country with restrictive gun laws. That could be useful at least for home defense/self-defense.
And black powder is easy to make at home if you have a garden for exemple. In case of SHTF black powder ammunition is viable longer than gun powder one.
>>
The problem here in euro isn't getting the gun.

It's the fact that home defense is going to get you jailed if you protect yourself with anything other than a knife/sword/hatchet.

If youre gona risk jail by firing at peoples in your house, you may as well do it with semi auto.
>>
>>30451950
>I agree that black powder revolver are a crap to reload but why people don't use more of this guns? Since they are barely free to get even in most of European country with restrictive gun laws. That could be useful at least for home defense/self-defense.

In several American states black-powder firearms are not defined as true firearms, so people older than 18 (old enough to buy them) but under 21 (the age where most people can get concealed carry permits) will carry cap-and-ball blackpowder revolvers, because it's technically legal to do so.
>>
File: 1294630979587.jpg (648 KB, 2206x3028) Image search: [Google]
1294630979587.jpg
648 KB, 2206x3028
>>30451950
are you using google translator to type in english or are you just retarded?

in europe
>self defense is illegal, prepare your anus for cultural enrichment allah akbar
>bp may be regulated
>the '93 USSR everything must go militaria firesale=criminals and randoms all over europe have real guns. you should too.
in america
>firearms that are in currently unobtainable calibers, cartridge firearms made prior to 1898, and muzzle loaders are not regulated
>self defense varies state to state
>you're in america, just buy a fucking hipoint. they're cheaper than a pietta replica.

also blackpowder is more of a bitch to make than you think. saltpeter made the old school way is an involved cottage industry process and if you have access to instant cold packs and shit you can and should just buy 30lbs of pyrodex. Or if not fedorable, a cartridge firearm and an assload of ammunition.
>>
>>30451950
never fire smokeless powder out of a Blackpowder muzzleloader or cartridge firearm. peak pressure is much higher and it will rupture the chamber.
>>
>>30452010
And what's going to happen if I use black powder for .223 ammo?
>>
>>30452043
smokey dirty AR, that will start to jam after 10 shots. but yes it will work, hickock45 does it all the time
>>
>>30452043
It will work but it will be very dirty and may not cycle but it'll shoot.
Also, you CAN load smokeless in a black powder cartridge firearm if you make a reduced load and are very careful.
>>
>>30452043
It won't even cycle I bet.
A black powder AK, tho....
>>
>>30452085
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LopUNq6lF2U
>>
>>30451950
>If I found the same caliber as the black powder gun is it possible to use normal ammo with or the barrel will blow off?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_XNWeMqCT0

>Is it possible to reload ammo with black powder with and correct ogive for a black powder revolver ?
I don't understand your question.

>Btw is to possible to reload .223 ammo for a AR-15 with black powder?
Never tried it but my guess is it owuld shoot once and then fail to cycle. I don' even want to think what the gas tube would look like after that, black powder fouling and direct gas impingement doesn't sound like a good combination.

>I agree that black powder revolver are a crap to reload
Better than you might think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kqEgijuCu4

Also if you run out of spare cylinders paper cartridges are a thing, I can load a single chamber and take a shot with my 1858 in less than 5 seconds, not too bad. I could definetly shoot up a school/gay club and get a respectable kill count if I wanted to.

>why people don't use more of this guns?
Because there are other issues not related to the gun itself.

>Since they are barely free to get even in most of European country with restrictive gun laws. That could be useful at least for home defense/self-defense.
As >>30451971 said, it's the law that is the problem.

In a hypothetical scenario where you shot a burglar dead with your black powder gun the judge could say that you exceed your rights to self defense and that the situation could be resolved without the use of lethal force and that would not only put you in jail, it would also disqualify you from owning any firearms ever.

That said I do have my 1858 loaded at all times and unload it each week at the range, if only to at least force the burglar into obedience and cuff him.

I'm actually thinking about carrying a 1863 but I'm still weighing the potential advatages and disadvatages.

cont.
>>
>>30453488
>And black powder is easy to make at home if you have a garden for exemple
Yeah, it's easy to make shit quality powder with inferior power and accuracy that will still require bought potassium nitrate and sulphur.

Unless you don't use sulphur (it's optional but your powder will be even more shit without it, sugar can be used as well) and you actually want to bother and making potassium nitrate yourself out of piss, but it's a very time consuming proccess that yields small quantites of shit quality saltpeter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wW5KR1pDxs

If you want to make anything resembling factory powder it will have high initial cost (good ball mill for example) and will take some know-how.

>In case of SHTF black powder ammunition is viable longer than gun powder one
I don't know why you think that.

For the reasons listed above it's better to simply stock on factory powder rather than try to make it yourself.
>>
>>30452010
While this is a good rule of thumb there's nothing really bad that could happen if you keep the pressure as at safe levels for smokeless or even use trailboss.

the problem comes when people fuck up and put in a black powder volumetric charge of smokeless into thier gun
>>
>>30453549
If a person have to ask if smokeless can be shot from black powder guns then that person clearly doesn't have enough knowledge to attempt it.

Of course anything can be done safely if done right, but as you said it's a good rule of a thumb to not shoot anything smokeless out of black powder firearms.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.