[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Those here who have served in your nations military: How was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7
File: RAF Intelligence.jpg (124 KB, 600x518) Image search: [Google]
RAF Intelligence.jpg
124 KB, 600x518
Those here who have served in your nations military:

How was it?
Do you consider it a golden time in your life?
Those who have already served, has it helped you with opportunities in the civillian world?

I ask because I just today was accepted as an Intelligence Officer in the Royal Air Force. I begin my initial officer training in 5 weeks. I'm 22, so going into it a little older than some people there I assume, but on the whole I'm very much looking forward to it.

Than/k/s.
>>
>>30443919

I came here for a thread exactly like this, I'm Canadian and 23 thinking about joining and interested in any tips or wisdom anons can share.
>>
File: NLAW talvi.jpg (2 MB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
NLAW talvi.jpg
2 MB, 3888x2592
Does mandatory military service in a conscription based defense forces apply?

I served in FDF back in 2008.

>How was it?
Pretty good actually. Would go back nowadays with pleasure.

>Do you consider it a golden time in your life?
There's this old local saying that "time makes the memories golden". Kinda same as that "silver lining" thing in English countries. That is, I sometimes reeeally hated everything while in, but I can mostly recall the good times now. Plus, I've only now come to realize all the huge benefits being in the uniform brought to me.

I'd say majority of the "bad" things were related to this handful of total dickhead conscripts, who'd apparently never followed anyone's orders, and thus did nothing but complain, skip tasks, and break everyone else's balls whenever possible.

>Those who have already served, has it helped you with opportunities in the civillian world?
Well, Finland kinda has this unspoken expectation of every male having finished the military service. It just makes you seem more capable and trust-worthy in the eyes of general population. Certain jobs in the army definitely can help you in certain jobs / help you get certain jobs.

The biggest gain, though, is the mental growth you usually go through while in there: everything's team work, and you actually need to learn how to socialize with people, all while practicing extreme caution with some of the most destructive gear on the planet.
>>
>>30443919
it was terrible for me while i was in but looking back on it it was great
>>
>>30443919
I'm currently serving. Had one of the best times of my life through the months of training. Kept a positive demeanor, met tons of amazing people and had a multitude of unique experiences.
>>
Couldn't pay me all the money in the world to go back to the Corps. When I wasn't bailing my Marines out of jail I was doing paper work. Never deployed. Just babysat.
>>
1961 to 1968, then a stint as a territorial throughout the 70s. I enjoyed it a great deal, regret leaving the regs but it felt like a good idea at the time and I had a lot of things to do afterward.

>Those who have already served, has it helped you with opportunities in the civillian world?
I suppose. It depends on what you want to do. You're pursuing a career, focus on that for the time being. One step at a time, you haven't even got in yet and already you're worrying about what you're going to do afterward.

>I'm 22, so going into it a little older than some people there I assume, but on the whole I'm very much looking forward to it.

You won't be. The vast majority of officers, especially Intelligence officers in the Royal Air Force, are going to be university educated so they'll be at least 21 or 22.

I will say this. Ultimately, you're responsible for yourself. HM Forces will give you some opportunity and guidance, but when you get out you're on your own. Unless you plan on working in a related environment, no one is going to give a toss that you served. Whatever you end up doing, put it in a drawer and think of it as a tool. Don't take it everywhere, just use it when you have to.
>>
Some good points raised here.

How would you know that you are going into it for the right reasons?
>>
>>30444073
Why was it terrible?
>>
File: 1467184690822.jpg (451 KB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
1467184690822.jpg
451 KB, 2048x2048
PROTIP: Go in single, and dont knock up a bitch or get married. So many fucking idiots who knocked up a Jap bitch and brought home some Jap who got her US citizenship, divorced PVT Gomer Pile and ran off with another man and got child support.
>>
File: RCAF lunch box.jpg (56 KB, 850x567) Image search: [Google]
RCAF lunch box.jpg
56 KB, 850x567
>>30443974
Join the reserves and stay away from the infantry, your back and knees will thank you. If you wanna go reg force join the airforce as a technician, you'll get to molest all the planes and get to travel with the plane for that sweet, sweet travel claim money. Also the RCAF has the best boxed lunches.
>>
File: 30ni0c9.gif (25 KB, 600x250) Image search: [Google]
30ni0c9.gif
25 KB, 600x250
>>30443919
I wouldn't remove those ten years for anything. Especially combat. That was the scariest, most exciting time ever.
>>
File: 1454531613391.gif (2 MB, 353x234) Image search: [Google]
1454531613391.gif
2 MB, 353x234
Was an 11B

Hurry up and wait

meh

But at least I wasn't in the 82nd Ranger Rejects or the 10th Mountain whale fuckers
>>
File: 1444618011055.jpg (13 KB, 168x200) Image search: [Google]
1444618011055.jpg
13 KB, 168x200
>>30445673

Also, really wish I joined the Air Force, dreamed of being an A-10 pilot...
>>
>>30445673
>82nd Ranger Rejects
That's funny. Especially considering we have a higher Ranger school graduation rate than the 75th.

The 82nd has more Rangers than the Rangers.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.