[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is eye dominance a meme? Is shooting with both eyes open a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: donkey.png (312 KB, 254x906) Image search: [Google]
donkey.png
312 KB, 254x906
Is eye dominance a meme? Is shooting with both eyes open a meme?

When I keep both eyes open I can either get the front sight post on target or I can align the sights, but not both. Doesn't matter which eye I use, though. Is it a matter of practice? How bad is it to close one eye?
>>
I too wonder this
>>
Close one eye and see how much perception you lose. Its not safe. Either keep them open or slightly close your non dominate eye.
>>
File: skynet.gif (1 MB, 234x179) Image search: [Google]
skynet.gif
1 MB, 234x179
No? I shoot with both eyes open and when I teach kids to do archery I teach them to use their dominant eye.

The reason behind both eye open is (what I was told) the sympathetic response of your open eye, and how your pupil will dilate in response to your non-shooting eye being closed. I don't know how true that is, but it doesn't sound like bullshit.

Also, holding one eye shut tenses you up? I noticed this but I'm not too familiar with it because I shoot both eyes open.

I can attest that on optics that are designed to act as collimators it allows you better situational awareness than the effect of looking through a straw which lots of magnified optics have.

Try it out for yourself OP. See what works.
>>
>>27937477

It's a habit you can teach yourself not to do over time with practice.

>>27937526

This.
>>
>>27937526
That I get, and don't really have a problem with. It's just a matter of actually making it work.
>>
>>27937558
Might be your cheek weld is too close to far away? I noticed that with me
>>
Now what I don't get is how do you shoot with both eyes open with a rifle? Or is that only for pistol shooting? I've tried it and it never works
>>
>>27937558
>>27937571

Bring the rifle up to your face, not your face to the rifle and get a good cheek weld.
>>
Shooting both eyes open gives you a wider field of view.

Shooting both eyes open strains your eyes less.

Shooting with your dominant eye puts your stronger eye behind the sights or reticle/dot. It is for no other reason than to strain your eyes less.

I am left handed, right eye dominant. Although I am clearly right eye dominant, my left eye is still plenty strong, and as such I prefer to shoot with my left eye.

There is nothing that effects the accuracy of the bullet about it. Your weak eye and strong eye do not lie to you. If your sights are in focus (and assuming a good trigger pull, no flinch etc.) the bullet is going to go where those sights that are aligned in your vision say it is going to go. If it is my left eye or right eye behind them it does not matter.

Depending on what you are doing, no it is not bad to close one eye. There are plenty of excellent target shooters in a number of fields who shoot with 1 eye. Yes, some depth perception is lost, same with peripheral vision, but especially in the case of a magnified optic it does not matter.
Try this next time you shoot

Turn your head 10/20 degrees to the right or left putting your eye in a direct line with the sights of a hand gun held out in front of you. This direct line of sight will make sure that eye takes over, with greater visual stimulation. You won't see a double image. Now you can focus on the front sight post (and yes, your target will be a bit blurry, this is pretty much the nature of the beast when it comes to depth of field)

If you are shooting a rifle or a shotgun, and you find yourself staring at the side of the rifle or a double image, blink your eye that isn't behind the scope or sights for a second or two to get a clear picture with 1 eye. Now open it, and the clear picture should remain, even with both eyes open as your eye behind the sights has "taken over"

TLDR you have to figure out how it works on your own
>>
My eyes fight for dominance OP, so I tend to have two front posts, or two targets, or two somethings. It changes a lot. I just line up all the non-blurry's before I pull the trigger, which as I only really shoot skeet makes things rather interesting I have to say!

I have found however that (as I'm right handed) if I cock my left eyebrow downwards, reducing visibility only marginally but still giving my plenty of periferial vision, my right eye will take up the slack
>>
>>27937477

I personally switch between both options.

Both eyes open for pistol and closer targets.

Occasionally I'll squint my dominate eye to focus on something through my optic but that's ever if I'm shooting from the prone or sitting.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.