[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cleaning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: 1382791917236.jpg (1 MB, 1803x1870) Image search: [Google]
1382791917236.jpg
1 MB, 1803x1870
What cleaning brand do you guys recommend?
Some popular ones I see are froglube, clp, hoppes9, tuf-cloth/sentry solutions etc.

State what you use and why
>>
I recommend Hoppe's #9 for a copper solvent/GP bore cleaner. I also use Butch's Bore Shine, but that shit's corrosive enough I don't recommend it to anyone who doesn't have someone present that uses it to show them how (it will literally eat your bore if you leave it in too long, has to be used in a ventilated area due to toxic fumes, and smells horrible).

For cleaning and lubing the action, I've been using both Break-Free CLP and Shooter's Choice FP10 for over a decade, they work well as a CLP and don't dry out too fast. Have also never had a single part of any of my firearms ever rust after being cleaned.
>FP10 is the only lubricant allowed to be used by USAMU shooters as it retains a constant viscosity regardless of ambient temp or humidity
>>
>>27933945
Thanks for your input anon - I am new to guns and need to clean mine.

What do I need to get besides patches - Should I get a bore snake or like an aluminum rod

What do you guys recommend in that regard
>>
For cleaning
>warm water
>non-harsh dish soap (specifically the cheap ajax kind, ffs don't get actual ajax toilet cleaner)
Reasons
>had bad experiences with solvents stripping the finish on my guns (namely Hoppes no. 9, fuck that walmart tier stuff it ruined my makarov) anyway dish soap works great, smells great, cleans more completely than anything I've used and doesn't leave residue.

For lubricating/rust protection
>hornady one shot on springs and other small parts
>frog lube on moving parts
Reasons
>long term rust prevention, some of my guns I leave sitting for perhaps years without taking them out. The frog lube is tacky and doesn't run like most oils, so it stays where it needs to be to keep the parts protected.

You can also use wheel bearing grease, same shit less expensive, but a bucket of frog lube doesn't cost all that much and its basically a lifetime supply. If anyone knows of a non-scented version of frog lube or wheel bearing grease let me know, I'm worried the added scent might not be good for hunting.
>>
File: 20151119_223407.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20151119_223407.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1152
Like 5 years ago when I bought my first gun I just went to walmart and got generic gun cleaning kit. Had no idea about anything at the time but it'd served fine all these years. Pic related.
>>
>>27933969
Also I'll note that in a pinch any kind of lube can be used. You don't have to get them immaculately clean either. Guns really aren't all that mechanically demanding and don't cause that much wear on parts, shit you don't even have to use lube at all and they'll function. Disregard everything I just said if you run an AR, in that case you should really be looking for the best product as some of those things are finicky.

I just like to take care of my investments and its not all that expensive to do so, so why not?
>>
>>27933962
Get both a 1-piece, vinyl-coated rod with a good handle to leave at home, and a takedown rod (either 3 or 4 piece) to take with you to the range. You will eventually get either a stuck case or a squib you'll have to knock out, and a takedown cleaning rod is perfect for that while taking up a minimum of space in your kit. It is, however, far more flexible and likely to come unscrewed than a good 1-piece rod. If budget is an issue, get the takedown rod first, good 1-piece rods are kinda expensive.
>I do not like bore snakes for anything other than carbine AR's, I feel they're hard to use in most action types and do a pretty poor job of removing copper fouling

I like brass jags for patches, they're orders of magnitude better than plastic slotted tips. A set for all common calibers .22-.50 should only run you about $17 on either Midway or Brownells.

Other than that, phosphor-bronze bristle brushes to knock out the really nasty crap before you patch it (especially for shotguns or any caliber that leaves a lot of powder residue for you).

STEEL TORNADO BRUSHES ARE FOR SMOOTHBORE GUNS ONLY. I literally only use them to ream plastic wad fouling out of the chokes of my shotguns, and only after removing the chokes from the gun. They can damage/prematurely wear rifling even when used gently.
>>
>>27933969
>>27933970
>>27933999
>>27934017
Great information guys, really appreciated!
>>
File: 20150901_110844.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150901_110844.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I use hoppes, but i was thinking of switching to Mobil1 full synthetic motor oil (10w-30). Does motor oil protect against rust?
>>
>>27934041
If this is what you normally buy for your vehicles anyway you could probably save the leftovers to lightly coat the funs. I may just be stupid but I don't see my guns as being that picky. Like any other tool, don't let it rust, oil it when it needs it, should be fine.
>>
>>27934041
Any kind of oil protects against rust, anything that creates a barrier between the metal and air. Come to think of it turtle wax may be being overlooked...

The problem is most oils will run, especially if you leave the gun sitting in the same spot for a while. You're going to end up with a spot of oil and a gun that's exposed to the elements. You want something that's more viscous/thick that's not going to run. Grease > oil in this regard.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.