[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does /k/ use for target practice? i was thinking of buying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
what does /k/ use for target practice? i was thinking of buying something like pic, but im wondering how long they actually last. 9mm pistol i want to shoot at it with and im tired of printing/stapling targets to wood or trees.
>>
>>27909171
Metal targets rated for pistol calibers will last indefinitely unless someone hits it with 5.56 out of a "pistol" at 10 yards.

Keep your shooting more than 7 yards, always wear safety glasses, and always allow the target to swing free. For example, if you buy an AR500 silhouette and hang it up between trees, make sure the top and bottom are unsecured allowing the target to swing, minimizing the chance of a ricochet coming back at you.

Pistol calibers don't require AR500, but you could just buy 1 AR500 plate for use with pistols and rifles.

Pistols 7+yards and you're good to go
Rifles 100+ At a minimum. Can be further (this can also depend on caliber as well-- .270 copper solids will zip right through at 100 yards). The manufacturer will state minimum distances for various calibers

And wear safety glasses
>>
My range gives you free paper targets for a 4 dollar deposit (they are on pvc frames that you need to bring back in one piece). I use those. If I ever get out to BLM land I'll use a piece of cardboard with a dot drawn on it, taped to a folding chair I picked up from my alley for the purpose.
>>
>>27909171
>And wear safety glasses
i understand you can never be to careful, but what is it that im being careful about shooting at metal targets? i mean, i doubt the bullet would bounce bcak

>>27909278
>a piece of cardboard with a dot drawn on it, taped to a folding chair
this is pretty much what im at now. I always see trash at my BLM spot and i was thinking of buyig a $20-$30 spinning target to chain to a tree just so people would stop leaving trash there.

i wonder if there a law against that..
>>
>>27909409
Bullet jackets can and do bounce back. That is why you wear safety glasses.

Don't leave the metal target there, people with shoot it with rifles and ruin it.
>>
>>27909409
>I doubt it would bounce back
Exactly the point. Most people can say "I doubt I'll get mugged today", but that doesn't stop them from carrying. The mild annoyance of putting on safety glasses is 5,000,000,000 times better than losing your shooting eye
>>
File: P1060987.jpg (3 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
P1060987.jpg
3 MB, 2560x1920
>>27909171
I mostly use 1/8in thick 13.5" farm scrap discs placed on drop rods. The bearing grease lets out a plume of smoke and lets me know I've hit center when I do hit it with a centerfire bullet. I can clank them with pistol calibers or 22lr all day and they don't even care. I use the larger 1/4in thick ones as a rough sight-in at 400, and as a backstop at 100 behind my paper targets.
The thinner 1/8in ones get chewed up & warped fairly quickly by anything centerfire at 100 yards, but just small dents at 400 from intermediate rounds. Next spring's batch of 48 small discs will be a bit thicker, but I'll get them half as often from now on. I'm hoping they'll survive smaller centerfires like 545 and 762x39 at 100 yards better than the current ones. It wouldn't take hardly any extra thickness to stop those rounds, they barely make it through the 1/8in steel at 100 as-is.
556 on the other hand out penetrates steel core 54r on my steel. It just cuts through like butter even on my 1/4inch stuff.
>>27909424
>Don't leave the metal target there, people with shoot it with rifles and ruin it.
This. People are horrible at unattended ranges. Don't leave anything there, morons will even shoot your benches.
>>
>>27909171
Neighborhood cats
>>
Also OP never shoot cratered steel, the uneven surface will also increase the likelihood of a ricochet coming your direction
>>
>>27909424
>>27909456
>Don't leave the metal target there, people with shoot it with rifles and ruin it.
>This. People are horrible at unattended ranges. Don't leave anything there, morons will even shoot your benches.

that sucks. it would be nice to not have to keep putting shit in my car. maybe i can build a PVC think to put there so it doesnt matter.
>>
File: P1000682.jpg (579 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
P1000682.jpg
579 KB, 1280x960
>>27909456
Then about 2-3x what's pictured here at least for shorter range & pellet plinking fun, I just haven't moved the rest from work to home yet. I have a huge stack of hard drives that I just need to rip the magnets out(great for attaching paper to the side of emptied computer cases) of and divide them into 2 targets.
So if you have a dead computer, take those magnets from a couple hard drives, empty the case of components, then use that case as a mobile target stand.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.